Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

“kinesis freestyle pro/edge is just fine” crew checking in

high five

holy poo poo that chord setup above. wow. go on with your bad self i guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

CLASS 2 PERVERSION posted:

ya it arrived today- it's pretty cool apart from the switches seem a bit rough and not that tactile. my plan is to literally take apart every switch over a month and clean them out. cool hobby

on the upside my converter works despite my lovely soldering skills

mine had been sitting unused in my parents' basement for probably 15 years, so yeah, i also had to disassemble and clean every single switch. i also lubed the sliders and the leaf springs with silicone spray, but idk how much it actually improved things.

my dad said he thought he had a second one but it seems to have disappeared - all i could find was the rubber dome successor. the macintosh iifx the aek was purchased with is also long gone, unfortunately - my earliest memories of a computer are of that machine.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Fib posted:

Combined two of my keyboards this weekend

The layout is the 34-key layout from the Minidox

yesss, now remove the rest of the keys and finish the job!!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

rotor posted:

yesss, now remove the rest of the keys and finish the job!!

dont cap shame

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
just checking in to say this apple extended keyboard is currently my favorite item that i own am i am stopping myself real hard from spending like a billion dollars on any more ancient alps keyboard shipped from the us

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
i mean https://www.ebay.com/p/Vintage-Focus-Electronic-Fk-5001-Keyboard-Fully-Tested-Working/20020775400

200 united states dollars, heck

does come with a calculator and a turbo button

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

offer them 3.50

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

a dollar per key is a fair rate right?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

are kinesisses actually good and if so what is the learning curve for an alien keyboard like

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
took me less than a day to adapt to my freestyles

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bloody posted:

are kinesisses actually good and if so what is the learning curve for an alien keyboard like

they're very good. the backspace is right under your left thumb and pgup/pgdown and home/end are suddenly useful. I find the position it keeps your hands to be just right.

Took me about 2 weeks to get back to normal typing speed. I pay a penalty on regular keyboards now but not by a lot.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
advantage two is very good. took me two-three months or so, but i ripped the bandaid off and also switched to dvorak while i was at it. no regrets.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if yospos was the mcu this thread would be dr strange

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

once you go bowls you never go back

it took me several days to get used to it

a key thing about the "advantage" vs the lovely "freestyle" is that it has proper keyswitches so it doesn't wear out after six months

freestyle is a dumb rubber buble design

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

blugu64 posted:

advantage two is very good. took me two-three months or so, but i ripped the bandaid off and also switched to dvorak while i was at it. no regrets.

Hell, same. But even though I'm going to be using dvorak for the rest of my life, and even though I'm glad I switched... I don't know that I'd recommend it. It's kind of marginal compared to the change of switching to the kinesis in terms of ergo.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
yeah, I always wanted to try a new layout and could never commit to it. since it was such a huge hassle anyway i just did both.

odd thing is now i still can’t dvorak on a flat keyboard, or vice versa. bowls are great.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

freestyle pro and edge have cherry switches, james

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I have an advantage keyboard I bought in 1997 and it still works great.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Salt Fish posted:

Hell, same. But even though I'm going to be using dvorak for the rest of my life, and even though I'm glad I switched... I don't know that I'd recommend it. It's kind of marginal compared to the change of switching to the kinesis in terms of ergo.

the truth is it doesn't really matter what keyboard layout you use

the reason that dvorak-switchers encounter radically higher keyboard speeds and comfort is that they are learning to really, truly touch type for the first time

the switching was the key

if you have you have spent your life with hunt-and-peck on qwerty, you will never unlearn those habits on the same layout. it's just not gonna happen. i can't prove it, but every layout-switching person ever can testify.

you can change from qwerty to dvorak, you can change from qwerty to colemak, you could probably change from qwerty to a literal random layout and yield a huge increase in typing speed

the key is to learn to really, truly touch type for the first time

i have been using dvorak for about twenty years, and i'm glad i switched: it was the only way i was gonna learn to touch type for real

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
tl;dr dvorak is not intrinsically better than qwerty, but switching from qwerty to dvorak can still make your life better

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hunt-and-peck on qwerty

this is the worst thing to watch

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I didn’t learn to touch type on qwerty until I played the Typing of the Dead

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

anyone else have to play type to learn?

or that basketball minigame in microtype?

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Mavis beacon teaches typing

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mario teaches typing

burning swine
May 26, 2004

having to type "kill vampire with stake" really fast in king's quest 2 when I was 8

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

the only downside about the advantage two is when your director asks you to send that script you use over to her to try out.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jenny Agutter posted:

Mario teaches typing

i got really good at mario teaches typing

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

dick traceroute posted:

Mavis beacon teaches wiping

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

having to type "kill vampire with stake" really fast in king's quest 2 when I was 8

lmao i used to play muds when i was a kid and now i type 120wpm. mega shameful.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the truth is it doesn't really matter what keyboard layout you use

the reason that dvorak-switchers encounter radically higher keyboard speeds and comfort is that they are learning to really, truly touch type for the first time

the switching was the key

if you have you have spent your life with hunt-and-peck on qwerty, you will never unlearn those habits on the same layout. it's just not gonna happen. i can't prove it, but every layout-switching person ever can testify.

you can change from qwerty to dvorak, you can change from qwerty to colemak, you could probably change from qwerty to a literal random layout and yield a huge increase in typing speed

the key is to learn to really, truly touch type for the first time

i have been using dvorak for about twenty years, and i'm glad i switched: it was the only way i was gonna learn to touch type for real

hmmmm.... nah It's better.

Also my typing skill were loving top notch balling out of control on qwerty.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Silver Alicorn posted:

I didn’t learn to touch type on qwerty

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what does touch typing actually mean?

is it just typing quickly without looking at your fingers? or do you have to stay on the home row and use the "correct" fingers for specific keys?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I think it’s just using the key nubs to find the home row and typing from that alone, no looking.

whether you stay on the home row is up to you I’d guess

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

is it just typing quickly without looking at your fingers? or do you have to stay on the home row and use the "correct" fingers for specific keys?

It's not looking at the legends, typing by touch instead of eyeballing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ok cool then i am a touch typist.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

college perfessor doesn't understand the concept of touch typing :rolleyes:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

https://zty.pe/ is cool and good imo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
is there a stopping point or end to it i just cleared like 15 levels and it just seems repetitive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I wound up scoring slower on the tests than I actually type because they didn’t measure accurate words produced per minute but words produced per minute without any errors

I make plenty of errors while typing but I know the Mac editing keys inside and out so I‘m pretty quick at correcting, none of this “backspace backspace backspace backspace” to delete a whole word poo poo

we’re not using typewriters for gently caress’s sake so let us use control-T and selections and the kill/yank buffer and cut/paste and so on