Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

highme posted:

Before my first trip the only meat I ate was poultry & fish. I decided I wasn't going to restrict myself in Japan and don't regret it at all. I remembered that pork is loving delicious and that I don't really care for beef.

Ha, that's almost the exact same conclusion my partner has come to. She's started eating meat a little before the trip just to make sure her stomach doesn't feel weird during the actual trip, and almost every time she's had beef she's been like, "huh, this is just like... boring?" :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

highme posted:

I remembered that pork is loving delicious

なりくら
03-6380-3823
東京都新宿区高田馬場1-32-11 小澤ビル地下1F
https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1305/A130503/13114695/

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Magna Kaser posted:

paleo is easy just skip rice and noods
send noods

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

^^ Thanks, I will gently caress up one of those cutlets.

Johnny Truant posted:

Ha, that's almost the exact same conclusion my partner has come to. She's started eating meat a little before the trip just to make sure her stomach doesn't feel weird during the actual trip, and almost every time she's had beef she's been like, "huh, this is just like... boring?" :shrug:

We had some grilled beef at an izakaya in Niseko on NYE and it was just a chewy gross mess. It probably wasn't the best example of beef to get back into, but it's what I had. TBF, I had half of a Dick's burger the last time I was drunk in Seattle and it was loving delicious, so...

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Let us know how your daughter manages if she goes full vegetarian. I saw some actual vegetarian places on my trip, but not many. I have a friend who's eventually going to need advice about that, and my planned response as of now is "learn to at least accept dashi".

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Unrelated to bad traveling buddies question part deux: my partner and I are looking around for fancy dinners, I think we want to not do Ginza Steak and maybe something else. What're goons thoughts on Tokyo Kappo Terunari? Looks pretty nice for the price range, and tabelog seems to favour it. Not 5/5 or anything, but it looks and sounds dope?

We were looking at a Michelin starred tapas gastrocookery thing, but the price was very :negative: so, drat. Next time, when my partner is making that sweet sweet doctor money, I guess!

This got skipped over, wondering if anybody has thoughts on it!

It's going to be my partner and I's 3rd anniversary while we're in Japan, so I'm trying to find us one fancier spot for a romantic evening. If anybody else has suggestions, can be any food type(I mean let's stick with Japanese cuisine), I would be incredibly happy!

EDIT: Damnit, forgot to ask about Narikura. Is it really like a "wait multiple hours" kind of busy? It's kind of close to the onsen we're going to, would we be able to get dinner beforehand at this spot or would it already be in the "we've had 400 people waiting" kind of situation?

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 11, 2019

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Johnny Truant posted:

Someone needs a bit of msg

highme
May 25, 2001

TheEye posted:

Let us know how your daughter manages if she goes full vegetarian. I saw some actual vegetarian places on my trip, but not many. I have a friend who's eventually going to need advice about that, and my planned response as of now is "learn to at least accept dashi".

Will do, I suspect dashi will be consumed. Happy Cow showed about 15-20 places near our hotel in Shinjuku, including several vegan spots. So like I said, it's not going to be super challenging. I know a handful of Japanese phrases, but my adventures to places where half of the staff aren't Australians working for the winter has been limited, so my concern was more being able to communicate those needs in Tokyo. I'm sure we'll find plenty of English speaking folk, but I'm pretty excited for the immersion.

I also realized I'll be there during the first bit of the Women's World Cup. It looks like the games will be pretty late, is there going to be watch parties etc., for them? I know the Japanese women are a pretty good team.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

highme posted:

I also realized I'll be there during the first bit of the Women's World Cup. It looks like the games will be pretty late, is there going to be watch parties etc., for them? I know the Japanese women are a pretty good team.

Similar question, but for NFL games. My wife and I are going to be in Tokyo for a couple weeks in November, and always enjoy watching the Giants poo poo the bed in foreign locales. Are there places that show American football even though it starts at 2am?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sports with Japanese teams yes
NFL no

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

highme posted:

Will do, I suspect dashi will be consumed. Happy Cow showed about 15-20 places near our hotel in Shinjuku, including several vegan spots. So like I said, it's not going to be super challenging. I know a handful of Japanese phrases, but my adventures to places where half of the staff aren't Australians working for the winter has been limited, so my concern was more being able to communicate those needs in Tokyo. I'm sure we'll find plenty of English speaking folk, but I'm pretty excited for the immersion.

Japanese restaurants and culture with food isn't the same as the US in terms of ordering. "I'd like this but hold the..." doesn't really fly in Japan, even if you're asking fluently. (Exceptions are around). Instead you're either ordering and getting the set and not changing what's involved, or ordering options of a set, or just ordering like at izakaya and getting plate by plate. The best way to handle the situation like a native is go someplace where the cuisine will be fine, not trying to "hold" something or another.

quote:

Japan likes soccer but I haven't heard anything about preparations for or broadcasting for the Women's World Cup at all. I'm sure matches will be carried, and since they're in France it's a chance they won't be too late, but will have to look into it. For the men's World Cup last year there were watch parties (basically every nationality in the WC could find a place to watch games) but there wasn't the same public square watching because some of those matches were super late at night for Japan.

Slow Graffiti posted:

Similar question, but for NFL games. My wife and I are going to be in Tokyo for a couple weeks in November, and always enjoy watching the Giants poo poo the bed in foreign locales. Are there places that show American football even though it starts at 2am?

Tokyo turns into "you're committed to staying out all night" after about 12:30 because that's (roughly) when the last trains are headed out, so those kind of late-night places aren't big. There would be more for European soccer teams IMO. And in fact the one NY Giants bar I knew of closed earlier this year (was also my sports club's clubhouse bar and yeah it sucks it closed). There are sports bars in Roppongi including Legends that are kind of dedicated to foreign sports, but maybe not so much at 2 am. The NFL is tough because most of the schedule are 2 am on Sunday night/Monday morning, it's a reason I don't follow even casually much anymore. The timing sucks.

highme
May 25, 2001

She doesn't even know we're going yet. Once she does I'll hit her with that happy cow link and have her find places that look good.

Also, HarperDC, you've got a pm.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I just stumbled upon this by accident today and figured it might be of some use to those of you discussing vegetarian places in Tokyo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Johnny Truant posted:

EDIT: Damnit, forgot to ask about Narikura. Is it really like a "wait multiple hours" kind of busy? It's kind of close to the onsen we're going to, would we be able to get dinner beforehand at this spot or would it already be in the "we've had 400 people waiting" kind of situation?

They only serve a set number of people per day, so yeah you gotta line up. The way we did it iirc was we lined up outside the shop around 9am on a weekday. By about 10am we were up to the shop and they took our name. Then we lined up again and waited until 10:30am when they started seating people.

So yeah it's a line up and wait place, but holy poo poo it was worth it. Best meat I've ever had in my life.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

harperdc posted:

Tokyo turns into "you're committed to staying out all night" after about 12:30 because that's (roughly) when the last trains are headed out, so those kind of late-night places aren't big. There would be more for European soccer teams IMO. And in fact the one NY Giants bar I knew of closed earlier this year (was also my sports club's clubhouse bar and yeah it sucks it closed). There are sports bars in Roppongi including Legends that are kind of dedicated to foreign sports, but maybe not so much at 2 am. The NFL is tough because most of the schedule are 2 am on Sunday night/Monday morning, it's a reason I don't follow even casually much anymore. The timing sucks.

Kinda figured that was the case. Sucks that your sports bar closed though. Luckily, I expect nothing of them this season, so it's not a big deal. We spend half the year out of the US so it's always a kick to run into fellow fans in foreign countries (and get drunk with them).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Stringent posted:

They only serve a set number of people per day, so yeah you gotta line up. The way we did it iirc was we lined up outside the shop around 9am on a weekday. By about 10am we were up to the shop and they took our name. Then we lined up again and waited until 10:30am when they started seating people.

So yeah it's a line up and wait place, but holy poo poo it was worth it. Best meat I've ever had in my life.

Ahhh okay, looks like that's a no go for our first night, then! It's funny cause this restaurant was already in my saved places from earlier, but I don't remember who told me about it.

Anything else that's a must go to restaurant in Shinjuku? Not sure if we'll get back there after our onsen trip.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goddammit, apparently you need a mailing address in the country or something for the SoftBank portable routers. What the gently caress.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit, apparently you need a mailing address in the country or something for the SoftBank portable routers. What the gently caress.

:japan: :japan: :japan: :japan:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ll just put down the dormy I’m staying at if I can’t pick it up.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

K loving LOOK

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

I think it's closed unfortunately. I went in November last year and wanted to check it out again when I go in the near future but apparently it shut down for some unknown reason.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Furious Lobster posted:

I think it's closed unfortunately. I went in November last year and wanted to check it out again when I go in the near future but apparently it shut down for some unknown reason.

Nooooooooooo

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You might find it still there with the same name but it has a new owner.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://twitter.com/Narikura_1010/status/1112337825649704961

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

totalnewbie posted:

You might find it still there with the same name but it has a new owner.

Ah, yeah. Was just reading that.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey Phone, August will you be in Fuji speedway? If it’s the weekend I love to go but hotels and stuff are filling up fast so you better book stuff now

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Johnny Truant posted:

Ahhh okay, looks like that's a no go for our first night, then! It's funny cause this restaurant was already in my saved places from earlier, but I don't remember who told me about it.

Anything else that's a must go to restaurant in Shinjuku? Not sure if we'll get back there after our onsen trip.

Since the onsen you're visiting is in Okubo (I think?) I'd suggest you go to a Korean place since that area is one of Tokyo's bigger Korean districts.

Here's two places I like:
https://foursquare.com/v/%E9%9F%93%...f0037049c8af1a0
https://foursquare.com/v/%E3%81%A8%...964a5203f4034e3

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

highme posted:

We live in Portland

I just remembered this, have y'all ever eaten at Beast? I have a copy of Naomi Pomeroy's cookbook which I absolutely love. Would kill to go eat there.

highme
May 25, 2001

Stringent posted:

I just remembered this, have y'all ever eaten at Beast? I have a copy of Naomi Pomeroy's cookbook which I absolutely love. Would kill to go eat there.

I have not, it looks good but I'm the only one in our house that eats meat so it's not really in our wheelhouse.

I did remember earlier that my daughter spent 10 days in Korea as an exchange student in 8th grade. Her host family wasn't all that accommodating of her diet and she survived. Japan with dad will be much easier.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Does Haneda airport have an international ATM?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah it’s nice, I think it’s been around for at least 9 years??

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
You should be able to take bout from any 7/11 atm and there’s a lot around including not in 7/11s

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

7-11 and Japan Post ATMs are what you want.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

caberham posted:

Yeah it’s nice, I think it’s been around for at least 9 years??

Awesome, thanks.

I didn't want to bring huge wads of cash worth me when I traveled. So I justvwabt d to use my Chase VISA card to make withdrawals.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah do that. We had it shipped to the hotel. It was fine.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I can't find my old post to quote myself, so pretend I quoted the 2 or 3 times I said to walk around with $10,000 in your pocket. It's a life experience.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

sale on Banksy art posted:

I can't find my old post to quote myself, so pretend I quoted the 2 or 3 times I said to walk around with $10,000 in your pocket. It's a life experience.

We had to make the down payment on our house in cash. That was fun.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or you can be like that legendary goon that showed up on a weekend without telling his bank that he was traveling and they blocked his card the first time he tried to use it so he had no access to money for two days.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

sale on Banksy art posted:

Username makes this post :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LyonsLions posted:

Or you can be like that legendary goon that showed up on a weekend without telling his bank that he was traveling and they blocked his card the first time he tried to use it so he had no access to money for two days.

Or the one that got rolled by Nigerians in Roppongi for five grand after a goon meet, lol.