Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Issy posted:

Here's why. I think it's a pretty interesting article about the Bendis hate.

https://www.youdontreadcomics.com/articles/2018/4/17/bendis-is-coming-an-exclamation-or-a-warning

When Bendis is good, he's amazing. When he isn't, his lows stand out more than Johns, Morrison, and Scott imho. Peak Bendis is probably my favorite modern writer outside of Morrison and Hickman.
I don't think this answers much, especially when the list of 'good Bendis' (Daredevil, Dark Avengers, Siege, Avengers Disassembled) and 'bad Bendis' ('everything else') given by the author doesn't really line up with anything that resembles a consensus here or at large. Then it talks in broad strokes about Bendis's dialogue and how he can't write action. I see why people ding him for both of those, but people in this thread were talking about him "never giving a poo poo" about continuity and therefore any mysteries in his book won't be mysteries because he doesn't give a poo poo and will never explain anything he doesn't feel like because according to past posters on here he actively refuses to read other people's comics or listen to them at creative summits or take notes from his editors or (I presume) just actively tells his collaborators he hangs out with and plays online video games with to shut the gently caress up because he's going to ignore the poo poo out their comics, because he is Bendis.

Enjoyment level for Bendis's dialogue or Tom King's poetry or Johnsian Literalism or Tomasi's Superman or whatever the gently caress Justice League is right now are all pretty subjective, and everyone has highs and lows, but I was specifically asking about the concept that Bendis is obviously going to ignore continuity and never ever explain anything about multiversal upheaval in a comic book series whose opening dialogue and first storyline title is about Crises and the multiverse because he "doesn't give a poo poo" about other people's comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't think this answers much, especially when the list of 'good Bendis' (Daredevil, Dark Avengers, Siege, Avengers Disassembled) and 'bad Bendis' ('everything else') given by the author doesn't really line up with anything that resembles a consensus here or at large. Then it talks in broad strokes about Bendis's dialogue and how he can't write action. I see why people ding him for both of those, but people in this thread were talking about him "never giving a poo poo" about continuity and therefore any mysteries in his book won't be mysteries because he doesn't give a poo poo and will never explain anything he doesn't feel like because according to past posters on here he actively refuses to read other people's comics or listen to them at creative summits or take notes from his editors or (I presume) just actively tells his collaborators he hangs out with and plays online video games with to shut the gently caress up because he's going to ignore the poo poo out their comics, because he is Bendis.

Enjoyment level for Bendis's dialogue or Tom King's poetry or Johnsian Literalism or Tomasi's Superman or whatever the gently caress Justice League is right now are all pretty subjective, and everyone has highs and lows, but I was specifically asking about the concept that Bendis is obviously going to ignore continuity and never ever explain anything about multiversal upheaval in a comic book series whose opening dialogue and first storyline title is about Crises and the multiverse because he "doesn't give a poo poo" about other people's comics.

The writer also says they haven't read Ultimate Spider-Man or Alias, and fair enough if you thought his X-Men was worse than Chuck Austin's I'm not going to blame you for not seeking out more of his work, but you can't really consider yourself knowledgeable about a writer if you haven't read at least some of the book he wrote for pretty much his entire tenure at Marvel.

Does anywhere have a full count of how many issues of Ultimate Spider-Man he wrote, including just Spider-Man when Miles was brought into the 616? It's gotta be over 300, right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't think Bendis flat out ignores continuity/or creates plot holes so much as he has a specific way of writing characters and starts with a vision for his stories and if that's different from old characterization or *kinda* conflicts with old stories then get used to it pal.

Like, for example, it's not a plot hole that Lois and Jon agree to take off on a space adventure with Jor-El after he's already revealed himself to be kinda crazy, it's just stupid. (I'm working through a big backlog of comics and I can't say I'm a fan of his Superman)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 5, 2019

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I don't think Bendis flat out ignores continuity/or creates plot holes so much as he has a specific way of writing characters and starts with a vision for his stories and if that's different from old characterization or *kinda* conflicts with old stories then get used to it pal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm very happy with YJ, Naomi and Action Comics, am excited for when the Nick Derington Batman story gets collected and getting his pals over for Jimmy and Lois comics sounds good to me.
I don't dig the 'Superman' Superman title or it's Man of Steel build-up either, but overall I think he's a positive force for the place.

edit: Since EC mentioned it, I'm definitely warming to Snyder's JL in this storyline. Since Metal, I've thought the breakneck pace of his inserting new mythology into the DCU was just exhausting, but now I'm settling in and appreciating things and kinda looking forward to his Year of the Villain stuff with this crazy cosmic lady.
Obviously, Jorge Jimenez brings a lot. I'm very glad Snyder hasn't shacked up with some old 'pro' like Tony Daniels over on King's Batman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 5, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

The writer also says they haven't read Ultimate Spider-Man or Alias, and fair enough if you thought his X-Men was worse than Chuck Austin's I'm not going to blame you for not seeking out more of his work, but you can't really consider yourself knowledgeable about a writer if you haven't read at least some of the book he wrote for pretty much his entire tenure at Marvel.

Does anywhere have a full count of how many issues of Ultimate Spider-Man he wrote, including just Spider-Man when Miles was brought into the 616? It's gotta be over 300, right?
Not quite 300. 293 total from what I can tell.

Ultimate Spider-Man vol. 1 1-133
Ultimate Six 1-7
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 1-3
Ultimate Spider-Man: Requiem 1-2
Ultimate Power 1-3
Ultimate Enemy 1-4
Ultimate Mystery 1-4
Ultimate Doom 1-4 (I don't remember if Peter is in all of these, but we'll count them)
Ultimate Marvel Team-Up 1-16
Ultimate Marvel Team-Up Super Special
Ultimate Spider-Man vol. 2 1-15, 150-160
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man 1-28
Spider-Men 1-5
Cataclysm: Ultimate Spider-Man 1-3
Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man 1-12
Spider-Man vol. 2 1-21, 234-240
Spider-Men 2 1-5
Civil War II 0-8 (I don't know if Miles appears in all of this as I've never read it)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Young Animal returns in July.
https://www.comicsbeat.com/dcs-young-animal-returns-with-two-new-series-more-doom-patrol-and-mikey-way/

quote:

DOOM PATROL: WEIGHT OF THE WORLDS

Written by: Gerard Way and Jeremy Lambert

Art by: James Harvey followed by Doc Shaner, Nick Pitarra, Becky Cloonan and more

Series debut: July 3, 2019

Gerard Way and the World’s Strangest Super Heroes return in an all-new series that takes them beyond the borders of time and space! The Doom Patrol will go on an epic road trip around the solar system, facing off against the unusual and bizarre including the fanatical fitness fiends of planet Orbius and the Marathon Eternal. Big changes are coming for these unusual heroes, including Robotman coming to terms with his new life as a human.

quote:

COLLAPSER

Written by: Mikey Way and Shaun Simon

Art by: Ilias Kyriazis

Series debut: July 17, 2019

Liam James is a wannabe DJ whose life goals are almost completely dashed by his crippling anxiety—until a package arrives in the mail containing a black hole that gives him amazing powers and draws him into a cosmic conflict far beyond anything he’d ever imagined. But Liam will discover that when it comes to life, love, mental health and superhero responsibilities, there’s no such thing as a quick fix, and that power comes with a cost.

quote:

FAR SECTOR

Written by: N.K. Jemisin

Art by: Jamal Campbell

Series debut: 2019

Newly chosen Green Lantern Sojourner “Jo” Mullein has been protecting the City Enduring, a massive metropolis of 20 billion people, for the past six months. The City has maintained peace for over 500 years by stripping its citizens of their ability to feel. As a result, violent crime is virtually unheard of, and murder is nonexistent.

But that’s all about to change.

This new series introduces a dizzying game of politics and philosophies as Jo discovers a brewing revolution in the City, aided and abetted by some of its most powerful citizens.

Definitely in for this GL book, if just for Naomi's artist, Jamal Campbell.
And the artist lineup for DP is prettty good.
James Harvey did those funky issues of Batgirl and We Are Robin a while ago.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 10, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

All three look great! I was worried about Young Animal for a minute there.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The GL book piques my interest if only because it's a well worn dystopian SciFi trope of removal of emotions = utopia. Off the top of my head "Equilibrium" with Christian Bale would be my biggest example. No doubt there will probably end up being other lanterns from the emotional spectrum popping in for shenanigans.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I like the “frontier sheriff” aspect. Just a lone Green Lantern out in the emotionless wilds

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bought all of the YA books last time around, will do so again this time around. The art on the original books was real good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was dreading this Arkham Knight storyline in Detective, but I thought this week's ish was a pretty good start. Really great art.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have no idea who Arkham Knight is (I gather he is from some video game and I don't play video games so...) but I thought the Detective issue was solid enough. Nice mystery and beautiful art.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Madkal posted:

I have no idea who Arkham Knight is (I gather he is from some video game and I don't play video games so...) but I thought the Detective issue was solid enough. Nice mystery and beautiful art.

In the game he's Jason Todd, and the story is just an adaption of the Red Hood one.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man, these last two issues of Hawkman have been so great. Bryan Hitch is at his best, and what is it with Venditti getting me to fall for these generoic squarejawed "boring" heroes? This has definitely been one of my favorite books recently, and this arc in particular has been supremely satisfying.

Unfortunately it's pretty hard to describe the events of this book without spoiling the great parts. The best I can put it is...well, the thing that Carter does here? Would make for a drat sweet ultimate move in a video game or something.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Here's (what I'm guessing is) a compilation of the Arkham Knight related story bits from the game, if you're interested. The identity under the mask was a secret at the time (so sorry if it matters that we're spoiling it), but I'm guessing the comic will be subverting that part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7YxY6rmlcA
In Det, him making Gotham perpetually daylight already makes me like this dude more.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 11, 2019

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

Man, these last two issues of Hawkman have been so great. Bryan Hitch is at his best, and what is it with Venditti getting me to fall for these generoic squarejawed "boring" heroes? This has definitely been one of my favorite books recently, and this arc in particular has been supremely satisfying.

Unfortunately it's pretty hard to describe the events of this book without spoiling the great parts. The best I can put it is...well, the thing that Carter does here? Would make for a drat sweet ultimate move in a video game or something.

Well, his best work was X-O Manowar so maybe that's just his wheelhouse. Right down to the ties to ancient history while ALSO having ties to weird scifi aliens.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm guessing these are the main characters for Leviathan (saw it on some random's tweet)

Into that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm guessing these are the main characters for Leviathan (saw it on some random's tweet)

Into that.

Looks like a cool cast. I can't wait to read this event written by...oh no

Edit: my post was an honest reaction when I googled the team behind the event.

I hope it starts before HiC, and doomsday clock finish so we get 3 events running.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 12, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If there's anything Bendis (and Maleev) are good at it's the sort of street level mystery stuff this looks like, and I think what we've seen of it so far in Action Comics is promising.

e: "Year of the Villain" portrait covers: https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/228381-DC-Reveals-Details-Portrait-Variants-For-Year-of-the-Villain

Including a Frank Quitely BallsaLex Luthor.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 12, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Into that.

I absolutely love it. Maleev only gets better and better (even since his excellent Daredevil run), and Bendis excels at writing street-level superheroics, especially with a crime/noir/espionage/investigative journalism side to things.

I'm just sad they're using Plastic Man instead of Elongated Man, who is known for being a Batman-tier detective, and who deserves a push from a popular writer. Has he been used at all since 52? Is he even alive these days?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read the N52 Secret Six series. It's weird.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ralph and Sue were in the Detective Club in ‘tec 1,000.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Bendis on street level is good, but it is an event book which Bendis is not good at.

I hope for good because those characters are good characters.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Into that.

Is that Waller up front? I guess she lost weight again?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Is that Waller up front? I guess she lost weight again?

No, that's Lois. Bendis has said she's the most dangerous woman in the DC Universe in an interview.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Bendis has been setting up Lois as the point person for the Leviathan investigation

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Open Marriage Night posted:

Ralph and Sue were in the Detective Club in ‘tec 1,000.

Were they human or ghosts?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

Bendis has been setting up Lois as the point person for the Leviathan investigation

Ah. I'm still super behind on Superman, but that sounds right.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just read Action Comics. Superman's storyline ain't good.

Article of the new Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane books
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-lois-lane-jimmy-olsen-dc-comics-20190412-story.html

They're 12 issue series'

Lois:

quote:

Rucka and Perkins’ “Lois Lane” will tap into her legacy as a reporter as she investigates threats and conspiracies in a story that they hope will show “what makes Lois Lane so very remarkable.”

“Lois Lane is the best investigative reporter in the DC [Universe],” Rucka wrote in a recent email. “This is our truth, and this is what the book is about.”

Lois’ investigation will inevitably put her in plenty of dangerous situations, but a little bit of danger is not going to keep her from going after the truth. In fact, sometimes that’s how Lois knows she’s on the right track.

“Lois is often described as fearless, but that’s a mistake, because it implies that nothing frightens her,” Rucka added. “There’s plenty that frightens her; the difference is that it never stops her. She was like that before Superman entered her life, and so she remains.”

Because Lois basically knows everyone in the DCU, Perkins is excited about the various corners of the superhero world that Lois may visit over the course of her investigations. He’s also looking forward to emphasizing “the realism that is inherent in Lois’ world.”

“I’ve always relished portraying that real world in the comics I illustrate as much as the super heroics,” said Perkins.

“[Lois] chooses to believe in her own abilities — her own prowess — to solve those problems that may seem unsurmountable,” added Perkins. “Lois is after the truth no matter what side of the political divide her person of interest stands on. That’s some pretty potent, powerful attributes for a portrayal of integrity in the days of ‘fake news.’ ”

Jimmy:

quote:

While “Lois Lane” depicts the more hard-boiled, investigative world of its titular character, Fraction and Lieber describe their Jimmy Olsen book as more fun and light and optimistic.

According to the creative team, “Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen” is “ridiculous and sublime.”

Like the title suggests, Jimmy is not only the Daily Planet’s star photographer but has long been Superman’s best friend. The original “Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen” debuted in 1954 and featured its title character in increasingly wild and improbable adventures.

In the new series, Fraction and Perkins poke a little bit of fun at the current state of journalism by showing how even Jimmy has pivoted to video to help keep the newspaper profitable.

“Jimmy’s videos are basically the only thing keeping the lights on at the Planet anymore,” Fraction told The Times in a recent phone interview. “They have to let him keep doing his thing because it’s the only thing that pays the bills but it’s [also] really expensive” because they keep having to rebuild Metropolis after any messes he causes.

So Jimmy takes his show on the road to explore various settings in the DCU.

Fraction explained he was really drawn to “the idea of writing someone with a friendship that just happens to be with the Man of Steel” and getting to spend time learning about Superman’s world filtered through the very human lens that is Jimmy Olsen.

And he teased that in this book “we get to see Superman — not Clark Kent — hanging out.”

This dynamic sets up plenty of storytelling opportunities that both Fraction and Lieber were eager to tackle.

“I think there's a lot of storytelling power in the juxtaposition of the ordinary and the extraordinary, and Jimmy is all about that,” Lieber told The Times. It’s “a chance to be funny in the world full of much larger than life characters.”

Lieber said that he is enjoying being able to showcase his comedic side through this series and that he is obsessing over every little detail in order to “get a reader to laugh out loud at what they see on the page.”

“Most of my career, my art has been the place where humor went to die,” said Lieber. “I just really didn’t get to be funny at all. And that’s changed a lot over the past couple of years.”

edit:
Batman/TMNT 3 mashup character designs Freddie Williams and James Tynion have been posting:

I love Splinter Alfred.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 12, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Full July solicits:
https://www.newsarama.com/44744-dc-comics-july-2019-solicitations.html

Lex Luthor is appearing in most of the ongoings this month. I'm guessing they'll be little epilogues. Some Year of the Villain, JL Legion of Doom tie-in thing.
The Walmart Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman stories get repackaged for comic shops.
New Young Animal comics.
Greg Rucka's Lois Lane and Matt Fraction's Jimmy Olsen start.
Sean Murphy's White Knight follow-up starts.
Shade: The Changing Girl's Cecil Castellucci is the new Batgirl writer.
Supergirl says it's "the epic finale to Supergirl’s space-opera adventure" so maybe the end of Andreyko's run?
There's another Batman: Secret Files issue, but it seems the stories will be more tied into the current King storyline this time.
It looks like Detective Comics is returning Joker to a more classic role as a Gotham villain instead of the superhuman Snyder version.
Rose and Thorn get reintroduced (remember that National Comics one-shot?) in Action Comics.
There's an Annual for Morrison's Green Lantern.

Here's a very weird to see Bombshells Death.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 12, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is it just me, or is it really weird how Bendis' Lois refers to Jon as 'boy'?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I’ll take that over her calling Clark “babe” any day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

Is it just me, or is it really weird how Bendis' Lois refers to Jon as 'boy'?

God of War has assured that anyone who refers to their child as 'boy' speaks in Kratos' voice in my head, regardless of gender.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Tim Drake’s also getting a new code name. I wonder what other restaurants they can name him after!

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Tim Drake’s also getting a new code name. I wonder what other restaurants they can name him after!

He's being seconded to Aquaman as Red Lobster.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
His name will be Fansite because they love to look at Spoiler(s)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I bet making Raphael as Red Hood took approximately 0.0000001 seconds to come up with.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JL is fuggin bananas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I guess this goes here...

DC Universe started its drop of the comic catalog this week, and we’re now set through 2005.

I’m reading Jack Kirby’s New Gods for the first time (after falling in love with King’s Mister Miracle earlier this year), and holy poo poo it rules. It’s completely over the top comic greatness. I’m surprised that it flopped when it first came out.