Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yikes

Mixed reaction after Maple Ridge mayor says homeless addicts 'raping, pillaging' his community

Gotta love there was a "mixed reaction". Maple Ridge is basically a (canadian) yellow vest protestor in town form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I was just there. The town is just as dull and boring as it's always been. Quieter than Ladner.

also, again this is the same mayor who campaigned on invisible "vehicle congestion"

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Apr 10, 2019

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

we've got him now!

Niki would've pushed him into traffic :smith:

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Niki would've pushed him into traffic :smith:

This is an astonishingly insensitive post. It's been only two years since Ms. Ashton was horribly traumatized and scarred for life by an incident on the floor of the house of commons. One adult brushed against another. Through she was not actually involved in the incident, she tells of how she witnessed it and she'll have that with her the rest of her life.

Using her name and "pushed" in the same sentence risks metaphysical triggering her, reopening that wrenching trauma from which she still hasn't healed. For shame.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

still defending Trudeau's honour are we

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

THC posted:

still defending Trudeau's honour are we

I can see why mocking a life-long politician who owes daddy for their job makes you think of Trudeau.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Yes. Those two are 100% equivalent.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Maneck posted:

I can see why mocking a life-long politician who owes daddy for their job makes you think of Trudeau.

no it's actually pretty clear which party you are defending in that post (Justin Trudeau)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Maneck posted:

Throwing stones in a glass house

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

lmao if u think trudeau would be leader of the liberal party and pm if his dad wasnt PET

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

THC posted:

no it's actually pretty clear which party you are defending in that post (Justin Trudeau)

Especially in the part what I said he had his job thanks to daddy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Maneck posted:

This is an astonishingly insensitive post. It's been only two years since Ms. Ashton was horribly traumatized and scarred for life by an incident on the floor of the house of commons. One adult brushed against another. Through she was not actually involved in the incident, she tells of how she witnessed it and she'll have that with her the rest of her life.

Using her name and "pushed" in the same sentence risks metaphysical triggering her, reopening that wrenching trauma from which she still hasn't healed. For shame.

haha wow epic pwn on those triggered sjws goon sir :D

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

vyelkin posted:

haha wow epic pwn on those triggered sjws goon sir :D

Anyone using the term social justice warrior to insult someone else is a scummy piece of poo poo.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Agreed. We should make fun of the Liberals' failure to address socio-economic inequalities

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Maneck posted:

Anyone using the term social justice warrior to insult someone else is a scummy piece of poo poo.

IDK, BLM Winnipeg is going after the Jets' whiteout parties for saying white too much or something https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/whiteout-black-space-winnipeg-1.5094772 Calling a snow-themed sports celebration triggering is pretty deserving of mockery.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

What's the C-SPAM vote for the Alberta elections? Straight NDP?

I live in the Calgary-Fish Creek area and only follow American politics tia

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Arivia posted:

IDK, BLM Winnipeg is going after the Jets' whiteout parties for saying white too much or something https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/whiteout-black-space-winnipeg-1.5094772 Calling a snow-themed sports celebration triggering is pretty deserving of mockery.

where do you see blm anywhere in that entire article

the whiteout party is actually rad, but the optics of the party itself and winnipeg jets fans in general is something that should be discussed honestly

DariusLikewise has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Apr 12, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

where do you see blm anywhere in that entire article

Oh my bad. Read it when I was waking up and my brain filled in BLM for Black Spaces Winnipeg.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Arivia posted:

Oh my bad. Read it when I was waking up and my brain filled in BLM for Black Spaces Winnipeg.

Alexa Potashnik is an extremely well spoken person who brings up good points on the whiteout parties and the fact that the entire response has just been to tell her to just gently caress off and die from winnipegers proves her point

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

People are already dumb sensitive about this stuff and I think going after it wasn't a good move on her part - there are better targets to go after for racism in this dumb province.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
otoh, telling PoC how they should protest racism has never been a good look either.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

infernal machines posted:

otoh, telling PoC how they should protest racism has never been a good look either.

other people of colour in the comments are calling her out though too

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

she made a facebook post and did a radio interview, the freakout people are having is not warranted in the least. the idea that this is some sacred cow that shouldnt be criticized is dumb as hell. its not helping either that CJOB and global news are now fox news north and the clickbait headline "advocacy group wants to change whiteout name" is leaving 99% of this city too red in the face to actually read or listen to the interview before slamming hate out on their keyboards.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Alexa Potashnik is an extremely well spoken person who brings up good points on the whiteout parties and the fact that the entire response has just been to tell her to just gently caress off and die from winnipegers proves her point

what good points? that they have white in the name? just having a color theme isn't racism. it might be upsetting to people who have had issues with racism in the past, but that's no reason to stop. They're wearing hoodies because it's Winnipeg and it's like -4, not to be crypto-KKK.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

she made a facebook post and did a radio interview, the freakout people are having is not warranted in the least. the idea that this is some sacred cow that shouldnt be criticized is dumb as hell. its not helping either that CJOB and global news are now fox news north and the clickbait headline "advocacy group wants to change whiteout name" is leaving 99% of this city too red in the face to actually read or listen to the interview before slamming hate out on their keyboards.

People should have paid more heed to the subtitles of her comparison of Jets fans to the KKK and Donald Trump.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think it would be for the best if we just cancelled winnipeg

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Cancel hockey. Bunch of white guys using sticks to beat a black puck for two hours

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I feel like the entire native population in Winnipeg is just shaking their heads dumbfounded

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Arivia posted:

what good points? that they have white in the name? just having a color theme isn't racism. it might be upsetting to people who have had issues with racism in the past, but that's no reason to stop. They're wearing hoodies because it's Winnipeg and it's like -4, not to be crypto-KKK.

congrats you read the headline

Maneck posted:

People should have paid more heed to the subtitles of her comparison of Jets fans to the KKK and Donald Trump.

neither of these things were said or youre taking out of context

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Cancel hockey. Bunch of white guys using sticks to beat a black puck for two hours

otoh watching millionaires beat each other around an ice rink for a couple hours chasing a frozen piece of rubber is cathartic.

also, PK Subban would like a word

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

No, I read the entire article. There wasn't a more substantiative argument other than "well it's called white and there's a lot of people there and that's triggering because it's all white [the colour, not the race]".

I want to be open to racial critiques of white institutions. But there's nothing actually there beyond demonizing the color white.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

neither of these things were said or youre taking out of context

You can go with "She didnt' say it." Or "She's being taken out of context." Combining those two is disingenuous. Is shows you don't actually care what she said, whatever she said you're on her side.

For everyone else, here's what she said, in its whole context:

quote:

If you’re not aware today the Winnipeg Jets kicks off its downtown street party series—making downtown ‘white again’ we had to share this. For people who come downtown to take part in the Jets festivities, just remember a massive street party called a #whiteout does not make all #Winnipeggers feel safe.

Now, if you’re reading this and thinking “calm down, it’s harmless fun, it has nothing to do with race—it’s apart of the Jets culture. It’s a tradition. It’s how we show our team and city pride. Whiteout represents a blizzard and a play on our extreme Winnipeg weather, it’s for everyone.” Have a look at these photos from past Jets pandemonium / fan appreciation (the four men wearing all white Jets outfits with pointed hoodies....remind you of anything)

Not only is the province spending a significant amount of money for these street whiteout parties—this will be going on for the next few weeks. Mayhem ensues when these parties take place. It’s triggering to see a sea of white when you’re walking home from work or school—witnessing aggressive ‘Jets culture’ as Jets fans flood the streets yelling ‘True North’. We thought, if you can’t change the party, at least revise the name because a headline that reads: ‘Jets parties will turn downtown white again’ reminds us of a similar phrase started by a very problematic politician in the states...

Explain how that isn't an attempt to connect the KKK and Donald Trump to Jets fans.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I created a twitter recently because I hate myself I guess and I’m astonished at how clickbaity CBC is. I imagine I’m a million years late on this realization though. 80% of their articles are designed to cause as much outrage as possible because that pays the bills I guess.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

my friend, just wait until you discover the comment section

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I find the Jet's thing silly but I think there is a conversation there about the language being used, how it's presented, and how it may affect minorities. However people are huge babies and kick up a fuss when they are presented with how anything they do may be, and I hate to say this word, problematic. This is so incredibly minor and I don't understand why people are blowing it up into a huge deal. Have some self reflection there, hockey fans.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"PC culture gone mad" has pretty reliably got the blood pumping since at least the 90s

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Everyone gets touchy when other people start talking about what cultural outfits other people ought or ought not to wear, I'm sure this is how future movies all end up with everyone wearing grey jumpsuits

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

culottes. no one ever got in trouble for wearing culottes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

littleorv posted:

I find the Jet's thing silly but I think there is a conversation there about the language being used, how it's presented, and how it may affect minorities. However people are huge babies and kick up a fuss when they are presented with how anything they do may be, and I hate to say this word, problematic. This is so incredibly minor and I don't understand why people are blowing it up into a huge deal. Have some self reflection there, hockey fans.

The problem is that there’s no actual argument or criticism made. The article doesn’t advance an actual reason why the name “whiteout” is bad or hurtful. It conflates white as a color with white as a race, and then says “I don’t like these white things and these other white things are vaguely similar in form, so that’s bad.” It drops inclusion and being triggered as social justice shibboleths without explaining how a public hockey party is problematic.

It’s a list of images with no actual criticism. The article doesn’t make an argument other than to say “white bad”, and assumes that is already acceptable as a conclusion. I want to believe her, but there’s nothing to believe, nothing to give credence to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Arivia posted:

It’s a list of images with no actual criticism. The article doesn’t make an argument other than to say “white bad”, and assumes that is already acceptable as a conclusion. [...] there’s nothing to believe, nothing to give credence to.

Change "white" to "muslims" and it perfectly describes Jordan Peterson's thinking lol