Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I've heard bad things about this last round of windows patches.
Specifically KB4489889 breaking Server 2016.
Anyone have any negative experiences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Nothing except don't patch if you have sophos and a windows 7 era kernel.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't remember the KB but one of them affects pxe booting through WDS

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We had a sales meeting with Aruba yesterday and they brought a systems engineer who has a PhD in wireless communication. I thought that was pretty impressive, but that seems like such a strange career arc for an academic

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Sepist posted:

We had a sales meeting with Aruba yesterday and they brought a systems engineer who has a PhD in wireless communication. I thought that was pretty impressive, but that seems like such a strange career arc for an academic

Was gonna say probably more money in this instead of R&D at a college... but why you'd think they'd be more than a systems engineer and doing R&D @ Aruba instead? Especially wouldn't expect someone to be basically a sales engineer with a PhD.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Fool posted:

I don't remember the KB but one of them affects pxe booting through WDS

I think this was KB4493450, but it was only a problem if you used variable window extension.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Oh my

I have been trying to raise a ticket with a company about an integration issue I've been having and they've not really been very helpful for about a month of trying.

I know it's party A's fault but I figured I'd run it by party B to see if they had any ideas -they didn't but they had a contact at Party A who they knew was a decent guy.

He has just sent me an awesome email on how to resolve my issues and wasn't at all bothered about my direct approach ignoring their support team etc.

How refreshingly helpful... yay :D

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

fishmech posted:

Is it possible to maintain a stable 10 megabit Ethernet connection over that cable length?

Maybe, using some sort of VDSL tech?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I think this was KB4493450, but it was only a problem if you used variable window extension.

And that's 2012 patch time to upgrade your WDS infrastructure anyway if that's hitting you!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Since I am starting to look for full-time employment again at the behest of my wife (she wants us both to be home for a bit when the baby comes in November), I had to update my resume just in case I decide not to take advantage of my personal connections.

Is it too long now? I think everything in there is important but I need an outside opinion. Also this is a really old RTI template so if it's not good anymore let me know.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Wq6B3KIXXr6Fq9Sj2rYp6Kv2bPr4AWR6

edit: Also lol I just realized my work experience is "Bank, VAR, SP, Bank, VAR, SP" - guess I'll have to join another SP next.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sepist posted:

Since I am starting to look for full-time employment again at the behest of my wife (she wants us both to be home for a bit when the baby comes in November), I had to update my resume just in case I decide not to take advantage of my personal connections.

Is it too long now? I think everything in there is important but I need an outside opinion. Also this is a really old RTI template so if it's not good anymore let me know.

edit: Also lol I just realized my work experience is "Bank, VAR, SP, Bank, VAR, SP" - guess I'll have to join another SP next.

I'm the exchange 2003.

In my opinion the font is kind of hard to read and really dense. But that might just be me

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Methanar posted:

I'm the exchange 2003.

In my opinion the font is kind of hard to read and really dense. But that might just be me

Oh yea I haven't touched that area in a while....should either remove it or update it

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
The font and layout look identical to mine, except I managed to cram mine into one page. To be fair I’ve worked for exactly 2 companies in the industry.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Low hanging fruit: who cares about your N+ and CCNA if you also have an active CCNP

More generally, what kind of job are you sending this resume to? There is a LOT of very specific vendor part numbers and protocols etc in there. I don’t work in the VAR or vendor world but I imagine it matters to them. If you are applying to a general internal ops position, prune a bunch of that to knock it down to 2 pages. Also just in general a lot of bullet points are wordy and could be cut in half without appreciable loss.

Always try to quantify or say how what you did helped the business. Like great, you presented a wireless plan to management. And?

If you are going to take this larger whole and then delete 3/4 of it based on the job you’re applying to and add in more relevant details, then great. If you are planning to send this unedited to every job, please don’t. At least not jobs outside the vendor space.

You have done very impressive poo poo. You can sell it much better.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Please get your resume down to a single page front and back. The folks who prefer your resume to read like a novel are not people you want to work for.

The people you do want to work for want a resume that is strong but to the point. They want you to dress sharp and charm their pants off. Be positive, be confident, and make them feel like they should be trying to impress you.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I think it’s fine as a generic version that would get uploaded or posted online.

Definitely create targeted versions that are shorter for jobs you apply directly to.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sepist posted:

Are you trying to stay in New York?

Also, try and trim that down to 2 pages maximum.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Wibla posted:

Maybe, using some sort of VDSL tech?

If it works over a bit of wet string... https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42338067

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Are you trying to stay in New York?

Also, try and trim that down to 2 pages maximum.

Not necessarily, wife and I have considered moving for the right opportunity.

W/r/t the other posts it seems like I have a lot of work to do. The positions I'm applying for are really roles of influence and I was trying to portray that my experience across network/system/software development means that I can see the bigger picture. I should probably look to leverage another professional resume writer at this point

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sepist posted:

Not necessarily, wife and I have considered moving for the right opportunity.

W/r/t the other posts it seems like I have a lot of work to do. The positions I'm applying for are really roles of influence and I was trying to portray that my experience across network/system/software development means that I can see the bigger picture. I should probably look to leverage another professional resume writer at this point

I would remove the redundant certs and heavily truncate the jobs descriptions prior to 2013 to get it to a nice two pages.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'd recommend you research the places/positions you submit the resume and tailor it for each.

I'm not saying make things up, but include (and expand) on your experience that's relevant for a specific posting and cut the cruft. I've found (at least back when I was actively searching) that a more targeted resume/CV got more responses.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a point where playing buzzword bingo by naming all the stuff you're at least mildly proficient is kinda not worth it? Like I became proficient in setting up and fixing issues related to the Eudora email client in a modern infrastructure because this finance place I was working for had a bunch of older guys who where still using it, but I feel as if naming mildly popular email clients from 2010 may not be worth listing.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
If its not something you want to do again don't list it

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Blank resume, got it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Aaaaaand my boss just got fired. Absolutely time to get out

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Is there a point where playing buzzword bingo by naming all the stuff you're at least mildly proficient is kinda not worth it? Like I became proficient in setting up and fixing issues related to the Eudora email client in a modern infrastructure because this finance place I was working for had a bunch of older guys who where still using it, but I feel as if naming mildly popular email clients from 2010 may not be worth listing.

You are best off editing your resume to show the most relevant experience for each job application

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I have a two page resume, and for years, had "trained on the AT-4 rocket launcher" on the second page. That resume has been in the hands of something like a dozen people, and nobody has commented or likely even noticed. I believe having a two page resume is useful, but I don't think "bullet point #23" is a make or break deal.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Verizon is killing me.
That's twice in just as many weeks that they've taken down our police dispatch.

Get this: A tech came out to complete a transformation from copper to FiOS. Cool, fine, good, whatever.
The summabitch did literally nothing. He didn't label any of the 3 ONT (they were already installed just not activated).
He didn't tie any of the phone lines over from the ONT to the demarc or the 66 block that they're supposed to be punched to.
I don't even loving know if he actually showed up on site for this job.

The 911 emergency response team dispatched a tech but advised that they might not be able to resolve because if it's FiOS then they can't do anything about it.
I just said "gently caress all of you" and found all the lines myself, tested them, then ran them to the demarc and punched them down myself.
Luckily the PSAP tech showed up though because apparently the numbers they transformed don't actually correspond to any of the numbers we are supposed to have there. So the numbers at the ONT don't match the numbers labeled on the demarc. They are just forwards to other numbers that were installed. He provided me the list of numbers and what they should correspond to and then he left. Thanks I guess?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Verizon is killing me.
That's twice in just as many weeks that they've taken down our police dispatch.

Get this: A tech came out to complete a transformation from copper to FiOS. Cool, fine, good, whatever.
The summabitch did literally nothing. He didn't label any of the 3 ONT (they were already installed just not activated).
He didn't tie any of the phone lines over from the ONT to the demarc or the 66 block that they're supposed to be punched to.
I don't even loving know if he actually showed up on site for this job.

The 911 emergency response team dispatched a tech but advised that they might not be able to resolve because if it's FiOS then they can't do anything about it.
I just said "gently caress all of you" and found all the lines myself, tested them, then ran them to the demarc and punched them down myself.
Luckily the PSAP tech showed up though because apparently the numbers they transformed don't actually correspond to any of the numbers we are supposed to have there. So the numbers at the ONT don't match the numbers labeled on the demarc. They are just forwards to other numbers that were installed. He provided me the list of numbers and what they should correspond to and then he left. Thanks I guess?

Too bad its against the law to hold people at gunpoint until they've done their jobs properly.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Wibla posted:

Too bad its against the law to hold people at gunpoint until they've done their jobs properly.

I mean it's hard to hols them at gunpoint if they were never there in the first place.

First of all they never even loving notified me they were doing any work.
I didn't know they had done ANYTHING until I got a call from the police saying "bwahhhhhhh everything is down!"
I showed up and there were 3 new ONT's installed and nothing connected.

Luckily the emergency ringdown circuit was done prior to that order so they still had inbound emergency calls but nothing else. No non emergency, no outbound, no admin lines, nothing.

Edit: I escalated this one to the penthouse though. City Manager forwarded the back and forth of the ticket to our regional rep, but then my boss replied saying we plan to issue a press release about the two incidents.

Once I have some sort of explanation about all this poo poo, I'm forwarding the whole chain to Tami Erwin, cc'ing absolutely everybody, and grabbing a bag of popcorn.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 12, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So our "Security Architect" got phished. To add insult to injury the investigation shows that he only got phished because he was bypassing the internet proxy filter because 7 other people in the company was also targeted and they had their browser sessions blocked before bad things happened. He also hasn't had browser history for about 2 months in the web filter. This is the turd who wanted stiffer reprimands for being phished.

We have deduced the email he was phished from. It was an email that mimicked the office365 alerts policies feature which is pretty clever from what I can see. It targets the kind of participation from the kind of user who would expect to get these kind of emails.

Our investigation can't figure out if he even clicked it from a company device. It seems if he had not bypassed the filter this would have been much easier. He might have done it from his phone or from his home computer. Read tracking is not currectly enabled in the tenant so there is no way to determine if he read the drat email. All that is left is for someone to interview him and ask him if he loving clicked it and nobody in charge wants him to be talked to about it at all.

The CIO is so loving paranoid since the incident that he refuses to use his company phone. He uses his wife's phone instead which has the kind of phone case you would expect from an upscale housewife.

Our "security architect" still draws a paycheck but we don't know for how long. I would prefer someone just interview him so he we can conclude this loving thing and be done with it.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 12, 2019

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Your office is like an IT TV drama its great

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sepist posted:

Your office is like an IT TV drama its great

:bisonyes:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Was this a test phish or like his account was compromised legit phish

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Was this a test phish or like his account was compromised legit phish

Legit phished. The account was used to read c level email for over a month. Only was detected when the attack made auto forwarding message rules to a 3rd party gmail account.

We even have two factor auth! Turns out the letting too many opt out is not good. Turns out letting your "security architect" opt out is bad. Turns out giving elevated permissions to your primary email account is also bad.

All is getting cleaned up and changed.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sepist posted:

I've been a hiring manager since '97, take this with a grain of salt if you want, I'm known for being a complete hard-rear end about resumes.

2 pages or I just round file it.
Don't put certs on the first page. Second half of the second page is for education and certs.
"Deep knowledge" sounds stupid.
Font is too small. All bullet points should be single or double line at most.
I'm not a fan of the summary you did for each job. I don't care. Tell me what you did in succinct bullet points, not a summary I'm not going to read or care about.
Technical skill section is garbage, no one reads it or cares in any way. Lose it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Letting people opt out of MFA :psyduck:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

DigitalMocking posted:

I've been a hiring manager since '97, take this with a grain of salt if you want, I'm known for being a complete hard-rear end about resumes.

2 pages or I just round file it.
Don't put certs on the first page. Second half of the second page is for education and certs.
"Deep knowledge" sounds stupid.
Font is too small. All bullet points should be single or double line at most.
I'm not a fan of the summary you did for each job. I don't care. Tell me what you did in succinct bullet points, not a summary I'm not going to read or care about.
Technical skill section is garbage, no one reads it or cares in any way. Lose it.

But as a professional in the field you absolutely have to be aware that your 'my way or the highway' approach sucks. Technical skill sections are great for hitting automated keyword searches for application sites. Some companies care more about certs and education than you.

Being a hardass about resumes never comes off flattering. You just seem childish and petty.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I never understood why IT folks don’t dog food their own poo poo

Old IT VP, everyone has to have a fully managed windows laptop, but order me the latest MacBook for me and the c levels.

So the most important people have unmanaged and “unsupported” devices. That makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
It's a who watches the watchmen situation. There should be a read only security team keeping the people with privileged access honest. The problem being that most shops are too small or too poorly managed to do such a thing.