Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Star Wars Episode Nein Hoffen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Darth TNT posted:

Yes, I really liked that scene and it felt like a natural progression for his character, especially after the chewing out he received from Snoke. So glueing it back together was expected.

Unironically, yes. It's not that Kylo broke his helmet because Snoke has successfully convinced him his aspirations to be like Vader were childish, it's that Kylo killed Snoke because he had become an obstacle in his aspirations to be like Vader.

Kylo getting his helmet back is one thing that does follow through from TLJ.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kylo's a weird face trash boy, it's not exactly a surprise that he would retreat back into his comfort blanket. That said, even though having the character refuse to change or grow is realistic, it is also dull af

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the helmet is like the one thing they have from the ST that is somewhat iconic

also lol @ rey holding her staff again and not like a double-bladed lightsaber. that'd be too smart.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kylo: *smashes helmet in a hit of childish pique*
Kylo, seconds later: Oh golly gee what have I done this was forged from my grandfather's ashes and suit I have to fix immediately or I'll being shame to the family legacy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maybe? Let's see if the movie gives a good reason why it was put back together.

He's prone to rage so maybe he instantly regretted it once he chilled out. Who hasn't smashed something in a fit of rage?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not going to wait to watch the movie before I criticize it, man.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why isn't this rage machine acting rationally?!!?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
yes okay rian

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Realizing how much more interesting the sequel trilogy would be if Kylo was the main character (he already kind of is, since he's literally the only character with inner conflict to resolve).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s def a main character. I don’t know why you would think he isn’t.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Apparently he doesn't even really wear the helmet that much either, so not entirely sure why it needed to come back except for you know, the merch.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Polo-Rican posted:

imho the one thing everyone can agree on in regards to episode 8 is that it was a smart choice to have Kylo smash his helmet and move forward in the film as himself rather than as a weird darth vader analogue. it's an extremely simple and clear step forward for his character, so of course jj will reverse it lol

Of course, because TLJ is a thematic mess on every level, he doesn't abandon his helmet because he's 'moving forward as himself', he does it because someone else tells him to. So now, bizarrely, the best way to show he answers to nobody is for him to put his helmet back on again, because his 'true self' is a doofus who wears a goofy costume.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Link to the reveal stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnhiLZOprZE

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I just remembered that Carrie Fisher is dead and they didn’t take the golden opportunity of blasting her into the cold vacuum of space to write out her character, instead opting to use Space Poppins as a cheap moment of false suspense, so everything they do in IX will be inherently compromised by the gaping absence of Leia.

This movie is going to be such a dumpster fire, my level of interest is somewhere below the Marvel movies I eventually catch on Netflix.

Wish they’d make some decent Star Wars video games, but that would mean telling EA to gently caress off.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Angry Salami posted:

Of course, because TLJ is a thematic mess on every level, he doesn't abandon his helmet because he's 'moving forward as himself', he does it because someone else tells him to. So now, bizarrely, the best way to show he answers to nobody is for him to put his helmet back on again, because his 'true self' is a doofus who wears a goofy costume.

Exactly. Kylo isn't a poser, he actually believes in this poo poo.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Angry Salami posted:

Of course, because TLJ is a thematic mess on every level, he doesn't abandon his helmet because he's 'moving forward as himself', he does it because someone else tells him to.

He takes it off in snoke's chamber because snoke tells him to; but when he smashes it marks the point where he decides to kill snoke and take power for himself. In ROTJ, vader is ultimately turned by seeing Luke suffer. In TLJ, Kylo is cool as a cucumber during the Rey torture scene because he made his decision long ago. Snoke actively reads his mind during the scene and detects nothing but calm reserve. (Not saying that TLJ isn't a thematic mess)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Steve Colbert is Snoke

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Anyone elses stream loving chugging?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely fluctuating in auto quality

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mine's fine, but I'm on a wired connection.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Star Wars Episode IX: Man, This Feels Forced

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

he rules the entire galaxy why doesnt he just get a new mask??

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
JJ seems incredibly uncomfortable onstage.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Pops Mgee posted:

It's probably real awkward to be shoved on stage and not allowed to actually talk about your movie.

I hope they didn't shove Kenny Baker's corpse in that thing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JJ probably didn’t even want to direct 9.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Wars Episode IX: C3PO Fights Back

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Pops Mgee posted:

He's got the exact demeanor of someone who just clogged the toilet with a massive grogan and is trying to make an exit without being held responsible.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is terrible - gently caress.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Look, I'm hyped about this panel in general, but this Anthony Daniels stuff is cringeworthy.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Episode IX: Telling the odds.

Time for cool grandpa.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Look, I'm hyped about this panel in general, but this Anthony Daniels stuff is cringeworthy.

He's always weird on-stage. That said, "Telling the Odds" is a pretty good book title.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

No joke, is Billy Dee going to be able to get up onto one of those tall chairs?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Billie Dee can barely walk get him a chair he can climb into for fucks sake!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Madurai posted:

He's always weird on-stage. That said, "Telling the Odds" is a pretty good book title.

Oh agreed, he was right about the title.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Are they really just gonna keep bringing people out and continuing this bizarre group slow-jerk??

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Antony Daniels is weird as gently caress, but he played the nerds in that arena like a FIDDLE.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 12, 2019

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AlternateAccount posted:

Are they really just gonna keep bringing people out and continuing this bizarre group slow-jerk??

This is how it always goes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

AlternateAccount posted:

Yes. That’s what these panels always are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The question of whether BDW was going to be able to make it up onto that insensitively high chair or not was more tension than I expect at any point in this dumbass movie.