Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
I also thought Vision Quest being changed to Merlin’s Quest in the modern day with nothing but a small paint job was very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is probably obvious for Us but the films in the beginning flanking the TV showing the Hands Across America ad seem to be thematic. There's C.H.U.D. and Goonies, both of which deal with underground tunnels, then The Right Stuff which might imply that something about the tethered project was part of the cold war?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
in the movie die hard, hans gruber wears a suit. later he says that he purchases suits, this is most likely so that he can later wear them.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

food court bailiff posted:

This is probably obvious for Us but the films in the beginning flanking the TV showing the Hands Across America ad seem to be thematic. There's C.H.U.D. and Goonies, both of which deal with underground tunnels, then The Right Stuff which might imply that something about the tethered project was part of the cold war?

She (Red) also goes "This is OUR time" as an additional Goonies connection. Of course that's probably the best kind of "war speech" she has experienced in her 6 years above the ground.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Wizard Master posted:

in the movie die hard, hans gruber wears a suit. later he says that he purchases suits, this is most likely so that he can later wear them.

Also in the movie Die Hard, McLane sufferers from erectile dysfunction. This is the primary source of stress in his marriage. John McLane can only gain an erection in the moment of death, which he is trying to do through increasingly complicated scenarios throughout the series. This is the source of the title, and also what makes the series a profound tragedy. He's got a tough nut to crack.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also in the movie Die Hard, McLane sufferers from erectile dysfunction. This is the primary source of stress in his marriage. John McLane can only gain an erection in the moment of death, which he is trying to do through increasingly complicated scenarios throughout the series. This is the source of the title, and also what makes the series a profound tragedy. He's got a tough nut to crack.

"Ho ho ho...now I have, an erection."

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

"Ho ho ho...now I have, an erection."

Lmao

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
In the opening scene of the movie Snatch, it shows Benicio Del Toro and his crew robbing a jewlers, looking for a specific diamond 'the size of a fist'. At one point he pointedly asks the jewler "Where. Is. The. Stoooone" in a specific cadence.

In Infinity War, Thanos is at the Collector's place looking for one of the infinity stones. He asks the Collector "Where. Is. The. Stooone." in almost the same cadence - The Collector is played by Benicio.

Could be complete coincidence but I'm going to go on believing it's not.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Apr 3, 2019

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Nah that's extremely intentional and it's pretty cute imo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
In Toy Story the carpet in Sid's house is modeled after the Overlook Hotel from the Shining

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

In The Dark Knight, the Joker says "Let's put a smile on that face." It's not just a reference to him being a clown that would be expected to make others laugh - he's talking about cutting up her face in the SHAPE of a smile. There's even a knife visible in the scene when he says it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A subtle thing in Casablanca that most people never mention - we aren't actually seeing a moving image at any point in the film. We are actually seeing a rapid series of photographs cleverly timed and synced to an audio recording.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

That DICK! posted:

In The Dark Knight, the Joker says "Let's put a smile on that face." It's not just a reference to him being a clown that would be expected to make others laugh - he's talking about cutting up her face in the SHAPE of a smile. There's even a knife visible in the scene when he says it.

Heath Ledger famously learned how to smile for that role, he had never smiled before filming and he passed away shortly after

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Jfc I love you idiots.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Re-watched Deliverance this afternoon I guess because I wanted to watch 4 guys worse off than me having a tougher time of things.

In one of the opening scenes, Drew is playing guitars with the inbred kid and the hillbilly takes the jam to the next level and dusts him until Drew can't keep up. Drew says "I'm lost..." and gives up the duet.

Later on when "That Scene" happens, Bobby tells one of the hillbilly rapists "you know what? You're right. We're lost"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bell jar posted:

Heath Ledger famously learned how to smile for that role, he had never smiled before filming and he passed away shortly after

His first smile was when he finally read the script.

Before that he was illiterate.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Inzombiac posted:

His first smile was when he finally read the script.

Before that he was illiterate.

Its truly incredible how Brad Pitt immersed himself in the role of Heath Ledger.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I'm curious if anyone can recall any wonderfully subtle moments from directors not at all known for their subtlety- maybe not so much the nods and references that any clod could do, but neat little meta or story flourishes that you might miss on a fifth or sixth viewing-

this popped into my head because when someone asked about specifically subtlety-loving directors like Charlie Kaufman I immediately thought of the joke answers "Kevin Smith" and "Uwe Boll"

I know there's a lot of implied shared universe connection stuff with Smith but that just reads as a logical extension of his love of comics universes, and a thing that he hopes people key into rather than letting it lie without explanation or even attention drawn. I've only seen his first four or five movies tho- I vividly remember the moment I thought 'huh I'm too old for this', and it was watching the commentary on Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back where he says "yeah they have a monkey in this scene because we were like 'can we get a monkey' as a joke and the studio said 'sure' so we put a monkey in for no reason" funny story! bad for movie.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I might have mentioned this before but Young Frankenstein is one of my dad's favorite films, and on the bit where they're climbing the stairs, somebody warns (the Frau?) "stay close to the candles, the stairs are treacherous..." and he gasped and said "I NEVER NOTICED THAT BEFORE"

the candles aren't lit

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Watching Into the Spiderverse again I caught a few extra subtle moments in a sea of them. I'm sure I'm the last person to notice, but the police call themselves PDNY instead of NYPD and at the end the dad curses his C-Mobile cellular service.

But really, pause the movie at any random spot and there's probably a subtle moment.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krispy Wafer posted:

Watching Into the Spiderverse again I caught a few extra subtle moments in a sea of them. I'm sure I'm the last person to notice, but the police call themselves PDNY instead of NYPD and at the end the dad curses his C-Mobile cellular service.

But really, pause the movie at any random spot and there's probably a subtle moment.

We had a big Spider-Verse thread in CD where we pored over all the crazy subtle details in the film and it's goddamn insane how much detail they packed into this film.

Guy Mann posted:

https://twitter.com/tvaziri/status/1080338672715673600

The characters being animated on 2's but out of sync is blowing my mind

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When they're both swinging along carrying the PC between them later in the same scene I'm pretty sure they're animated on the same 2's. Earlier in the scene they were stumbling over each other but then they figured out teamwork and got in sync figuratively and literally.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The official name of the movie is Best Movie of 2018 Spider-Verse.

Also, during one of the flashes to another universe there's a display promoting a stage show called "Hi, Hello", a nod to John Mulaney's show "Oh, Hello".

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I've skipped out on Your Name because everything else Makoto Shinkai has done has been utterly dreadful. Children Who Chase Lost Voices was 2 hours of "Remember that one shot from Nausicaa/Princess Mononoke/Spirited Away/Castle in the Sky? It's here too!"

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We had a big Spider-Verse thread in CD where we pored over all the crazy subtle details in the film and it's goddamn insane how much detail they packed into this film.

Ho. ly. poo poo. The offset framerate thing. That's incredible. Something no viewer would ever notice consciously at regular speed, but presumably it has enough of a subconscious impact that it feels all-the-more satisfying when their animations DO sync up later.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I've skipped out on Your Name because everything else Makoto Shinkai has done has been utterly dreadful. Children Who Chase Lost Voices was 2 hours of "Remember that one shot from Nausicaa/Princess Mononoke/Spirited Away/Castle in the Sky? It's here too!"

You done goofed. I cried weepy man tears at this movie.

Edit: and not because it was cheaply tugging at my heart strings. I was just so full of emotion for the characters. So invested in what was happening. Great movie.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I've heard the same thing, but more in a "He's made these other things, too, but...yyyeah, stick with Your Name." And you should do that!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Mistake. It's legitimately his best work, and a good movie on it's own.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

All kinds of this sort of poo poo in Spiderverse,

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Makoto Shinkai had a crush on a girl he liked in high school but they never got back together.

I don't know if this is true or not but basically everything he's made that I've seen besides Mirai leads me to believe it's true.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I think most people had crushes in high school...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's not really all that subtle I guess, but as a seafarer, I appreciated that in Pacific Rim the Jaegers all had correct port-starboard lights. You know, since they operate in the ocean.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Edit:

Never mind, it was posted earlier on this very page.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In sex and the city Samantha is blowing a dude and some of her hair comes out and the guy loses his rock hard cock boner and then Carrie and Miranda are talking about it and Carrie says Samantha had an embarrassing situation and Miranda asks if something happened at work Nd Carrie says no but she was definitely doing a job but she raises her eyebrows and smiles as she says it referencing that Samantha was blowing a dude earlier

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

What, a job with the city? Like municipal works or something?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

oldpainless posted:

In sex and the city Samantha is blowing a dude and some of her hair comes out and the guy loses his rock hard cock boner and then Carrie and Miranda are talking about it and Carrie says Samantha had an embarrassing situation and Miranda asks if something happened at work Nd Carrie says no but she was definitely doing a job but she raises her eyebrows and smiles as she says it referencing that Samantha was blowing a dude earlier

Yes, that is what passes for subtle in Sex in the City.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Parks and recreation tulip planter

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Jurassic Park: when Dodgson meets Nedry, he gets out of the taxi without shutting the door behind him. You can see the taxi driver get out, walk around the car to shut it while gesticulating at Dodgson. Shows he's an arsehole right off the bat.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Friday the 13th Part 4: at the beginning Tommy's mom tells him to get a haircut, and the end he cuts/shaves his head to resemble young Jason.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Roblo posted:

Jurassic Park: when Dodgson meets Nedry, he gets out of the taxi without shutting the door behind him. You can see the taxi driver get out, walk around the car to shut it while gesticulating at Dodgson. Shows he's an arsehole right off the bat.

And then the actor got convicted for sexual abuse of a minor. That's keeping in character as an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

And then the actor got convicted for sexual abuse of a minor. That's keeping in character as an rear end in a top hat.

See THAT is method acting Jared Leto. not mailing condoms to people.