Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

axelblaze posted:

It's the Verve's fault. You never ask permission and then do it anyways when you're rejected. You just do it and feign ignorance.

They weren't rejected, the Stones made a deal with them for 50% but then when the song got big they decided to just take it all.

edit: the full story, it's really hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_s90-Hi2ZY

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

axelblaze posted:

It's the Verve's fault. You never ask permission and then do it anyways when you're rejected. You just do it and feign ignorance.

AKA "The Vanilla Ice Defense".

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The clip of Vanilla Ice trying to explain how Ice Ice Baby and Under Pressure are totally different remains one of my favorite things ever

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I was just thinking about that this morning, for some reason, and I reached the conclusion that Vanilla Ice must be a legit pathological liar. Just lying about things that nobody would've been mad at him about anyway. Like Trump with the "Tim Apple" thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's one of those things that'll never stop being funny :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TLo4Z_LWu4

IT'S NOT THE SAME!!!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

I was just thinking about that this morning, for some reason, and I reached the conclusion that Vanilla Ice must be a legit pathological liar. Just lying about things that nobody would've been mad at him about anyway. Like Trump with the "Tim Apple" thing.

At the time there was ongoing legal stuff and I'm pretty sure he was just saying his defense.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The weirdest thing about Vanilla Ice, other than the fact that his real name is Robert Van Winkle, is that he actually seems like a pretty ok guy, and is (or at least recently was) super into construction. Like building houses and poo poo. Not weird for most anyone else, but his most famous image, the picture you have in your head when you hear the name 'Vanilla Ice' is straight up douche.

He really just wants everyone to stop, collaborate and listen. :shrug:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vince MechMahon posted:

At the time there was ongoing legal stuff and I'm pretty sure he was just saying his defense.

Yeah that's probably true.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The weirdest thing about Vanilla Ice, other than the fact that his real name is Robert Van Winkle, is that he actually seems like a pretty ok guy, and is (or at least recently was) super into construction. Like building houses and poo poo. Not weird for most anyone else, but his most famous image, the picture you have in your head when you hear the name 'Vanilla Ice' is straight up douche.

He really just wants everyone to stop, collaborate and listen. :shrug:

Didn't he get arrested for stealing a bunch of stuff from a foreclosed house which he claimed he was planning on buying and renovating?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah that's probably true.

Didn't he get arrested for stealing a bunch of stuff from a foreclosed house which he claimed he was planning on buying and renovating?

4 years ago. Had to pay restitution and 100 hours community service.

If you told anyone willing to listen that NIN, Billy Ray Cyrus and a rapper named Lil Nas X would have a collaboration that would top Billboard, you’d be asked how much :goshawk::catdrugs: you’ve taken but here we are.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Island Nation posted:

4 years ago. Had to pay restitution and 100 hours community service.

Oh... well.... I guess he's not entirely out of douche mode, then.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

He was flipping houses at one point, and even had his own reality show documenting it.

https://youtu.be/bTg09wxG7UU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1116488731551121409

🎵 Blinding light illuminates the scene
Try to fill the spaces in between 🎵

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel sorry for people like Vanilla Ice, it's gotta suck going from being on top of the world for six months to being broke, and the punchline of a joke. That's gotta gently caress with you.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel sorry for people like Vanilla Ice, it's gotta suck going from being on top of the world for six months to being broke, and the punchline of a joke. That's gotta gently caress with you.
I'm sure a lot of people still think Trent Reznor is just "that gently caress you like an animal guy". I'm really glad he made sure to keep going and not have his career end there.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TOOT BOOT posted:

There’s some video out there of him saying it “ruined his life” and he hates the song. He made a nu-metal version of it in 1998; I guess in an attempt to change his image.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Vanilla Ice was bigger than way more than like 6 months. It's hard to overexpress just how big he was. He had a ton of hits that no one remember anymore and a god damned movie. But yeay, that's goota gently caress with you.

I've always had a hard time getting a read on Vanilla Ice. On the one hand he made his money last way longer than most flash in the pan musicians and dude has spent most of his life being considered a joke and still soldiers on, but he also seems kind of like a douche, lied about himself constantly when he was a star and literally went Juggalo at one point (until even those fans got sick of him).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm sure a lot of people still think Trent Reznor is just "that gently caress you like an animal guy". I'm really glad he made sure to keep going and not have his career end there.
I'm pretty sure every shared college network at the tail end of the 90s had a NIN folder with "02_NIN_FUCK_YOU_LIKE_AN_ANIMAL.mp3" and "The Legend of Zelda (Live) - Nine Inch Nails Trent Reznor.mp3"

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

axelblaze posted:

Vanilla Ice was bigger than way more than like 6 months. It's hard to overexpress just how big he was. He had a ton of hits that no one remember anymore and a god damned movie. But yeay, that's goota gently caress with you.

I've always had a hard time getting a read on Vanilla Ice. On the one hand he made his money last way longer than most flash in the pan musicians and dude has spent most of his life being considered a joke and still soldiers on, but he also seems kind of like a douche, lied about himself constantly when he was a star and literally went Juggalo at one point (until even those fans got sick of him).

Cool as Ice was a god drat masterpiece

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Barry posted:

Cool as Ice was a god drat masterpiece

Lose the zero and get with the hero!

Vanilla Ice has done whatever he can to remain relevant. He separated himself from Ice Ice Baby when it became a joke, then, after seeing bands like Limp Bizkit cover early 90's songs, remade IIB during the height of nu-metal , then denounced IIB once that didn't work, then fully embraced IIB again when early-90's nostalgia came around. And even just a few years ago he attempted to latch onto the home renovation TV show fad in an attempt to be taken seriously. Of course he became a Juggalo, since at this point that's the only group that would take him even the least bit seriously. Vanilla Ice seems to be self-aware at this point. I bet he's not a bad guy once you get past the initial layer of douchiness, but it must have been extremely difficult to have gone from the biggest act on the planet to a total joke in such a short period of time.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 12, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
He'll probably get a Netflix show soon

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's no way Vanilla Ice was ever broke. He made millions stealing a riff then invested the money wisely for the rest of his life while taking reality TV jobs.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Well, except that he signed over the Ice Ice Baby royalties to Suge Knight, so he probably was broke at some point.

E: not royalties I guess, but points worth 3-4 million back in 1996.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 12, 2019

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Pontificating rear end posted:

There's no way Vanilla Ice was ever broke. He made millions stealing a riff then invested the money wisely for the rest of his life while taking reality TV jobs.

I think he eventually did go broke, but it took WAY longer than you'd expect it to. Like not until after the year 2000.

Fake edit: looked it up before pressing post and nope, as recently as 2018 he was worth 8 million and still took in 800k a year :stare:

real edit: I guess I just figured that no once mainstream musician would get down with the clown unless they were really desperate.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 12, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

axelblaze posted:

I think he eventually did go broke, but it took WAY longer than you'd expect it to. Like not until after the year 2000.

Fake edit: looked it up before pressing post and nope, as recently as 2018 he was worth 8 million and still took in 800k a year :stare:

real edit: I guess I just figured that no once mainstream musician would get down with the clown unless they were really desperate.

Maybe he's just super interested in trying out different things, but never stays with them long enough.

Vanilla Ice... he's too hot to handle, too cold to hold.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Minidust posted:

I'm pretty sure every shared college network at the tail end of the 90s had a NIN folder with "02_NIN_FUCK_YOU_LIKE_AN_ANIMAL.mp3" and "The Legend of Zelda (Live) - Nine Inch Nails Trent Reznor.mp3"

No, no. That clearly was System of a Down!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

david_a posted:

There’s some video out there of him saying it “ruined his life” and he hates the song. He made a nu-metal version of it in 1998; I guess in an attempt to change his image.

I went to that concert. When he was done, I started the "Go ninja go ninja go" chant, and then he didn't come out for an encore.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

axelblaze posted:

I guess I just figured that no once mainstream musician would get down with the clown unless they were really desperate.

or an antifascist

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
There's some new clothing on the store include a couple "limited edition oil washed" t-shirts. Probably a bit nicer than usual t-shirt fodder.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pontificating rear end posted:

There's some new clothing on the store include a couple "limited edition oil washed" t-shirts. Probably a bit nicer than usual t-shirt fodder.
I already own like 4 different NIN shirts and a NIN hoodie. Do I need more?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

how dare you even ask

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

That PHM tank loving owns

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's Coachella weekend, y'all. You know what that means: time to revisit the best Coachella set!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJW-Tawi6ac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9Wp1fNZyI0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Mqx85URQY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRs6UZcpg-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcohYIE6Koc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtBrPpB_Xs

I really wish they had released that entire stream as a VOD or something. I would've handed over money for that so loving quick and I still will!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 13, 2019

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

empty baggie posted:

Lose the zero and get with the hero!

Vanilla Ice has done whatever he can to remain relevant. He separated himself from Ice Ice Baby when it became a joke, then, after seeing bands like Limp Bizkit cover early 90's songs, remade IIB during the height of nu-metal , then denounced IIB once that didn't work, then fully embraced IIB again when early-90's nostalgia came around. And even just a few years ago he attempted to latch onto the home renovation TV show fad in an attempt to be taken seriously. Of course he became a Juggalo, since at this point that's the only group that would take him even the least bit seriously. Vanilla Ice seems to be self-aware at this point. I bet he's not a bad guy once you get past the initial layer of douchiness, but it must have been extremely difficult to have gone from the biggest act on the planet to a total joke in such a short period of time.

Dont' forget when he had that one-season series where he lived in Amish country.

And yes, he and an amish guy did an ice ice baby duet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1118550235515478017

Year Zero is 12 years old today! Holy poo poo!

While I had heard a decent amount of NIN stuff before Year Zero came out, Year Zero is the album I really credit with making NIN skyrocket to the position of one of my favorite bands.

I'd still consider Year Zero to be one of my all-time favorite albums all these years later. The cover art has also been my desktop wallpaper on my PC for a couple years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq2OZcDBEVA

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
NiN only became your favorite band 12 years ago? wow. noob

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Donovan Trip posted:

NiN only became your favorite band 12 years ago? wow. noob
I was 16 when YZ came out lmao

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1118550235515478017

Year Zero is 12 years old today! Holy poo poo!

While I had heard a decent amount of NIN stuff before Year Zero came out, Year Zero is the album I really credit with making NIN skyrocket to the position of one of my favorite bands.

I'd still consider Year Zero to be one of my all-time favorite albums all these years later. The cover art has also been my desktop wallpaper on my PC for a couple years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq2OZcDBEVA

I think I might've heard all of Year Zero once, when it came out I wasn't really in a NIN phase that much, despite being huge into them from PHM to With Teeth. That being said, the promo video for Year Zero is like... the most NIN-thing I think Trent has ever done. It is just so quintessentially that thing that he does, that feeling, that sound... what he brings through in some of his best tracks is perfectly encasulated in that ~17 seconds of disturbing and unsettling video. And most of the video is fine, until the end of it, which just makes it all very, very... :stare:

He and Rob Sheridan together are this power team of 'what the gently caress'. They know the kind of thing that rests in the corner of your mind that you try not to think about, and just presents it to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRCR6onaASU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think I might've heard all of Year Zero once, when it came out I wasn't really in a NIN phase that much, despite being huge into them from PHM to With Teeth. That being said, the promo video for Year Zero is like... the most NIN-thing I think Trent has ever done. It is just so quintessentially that thing that he does, that feeling, that sound... what he brings through in some of his best tracks is perfectly encasulated in that ~17 seconds of disturbing and unsettling video. And most of the video is fine, until the end of it, which just makes it all very, very... :stare:

He and Rob Sheridan together are this power team of 'what the gently caress'. They know the kind of thing that rests in the corner of your mind that you try not to think about, and just presents it to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRCR6onaASU
And the backstory behind it is even wilder! It was like a zero budget thing that was just made by a really creative team thinking outside of the box.

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1118550759665094656

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

'07-08 was a great time to be a NIN fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

I'm somewhere over 20