Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My boss got pics of his Cruiser at the port. Gonna be forever before he gets it. Looks awesome, 157000kms

:siren:Boss got his car delivered last night:siren:

I told him to drive it to my house after he washed off three months of sea salt spray and dust. The thing is mint like I can't believe how good the thing is. Doesn't seem like it was smoked in but it definitely...smells? like Japan. Appears to have a mild lift with some shackles on the leaf springs and has some brand new Pro-Comp shocks on it. Brand new radiator, no indication of the timing belt/water pump done so he is going to look into getting that taken care of.

The interior is awesome. The seats are so much nicer than anything we seem to have specced out for the states thanks to all the :btroll:s we have. The diamond stitch tufted door cards with brown shag at the bottom is nice. The head liner is nice. The underbite/picnic table front bumper is neat. The power take off winch is wild! With a friggin turbo diesel I6 it would surely be able to tear a man in half without even sneezing.

I drove it around the block. The diesel was butter smooth. It idled perfectly, just a hint of you knowing it was a diesel. The clutch takeup was short and smooth. No chatter, no chugging/lugging. Starting in second was as easy as anything else. It definitely had enough scoot to get out of its way. The shifts were a little long but precise and schlick schlick going into the next. It was surprisingly easy. Steering was tight and direct, just the right amount of assist. For something 30 years old it was remarkably good and there is nothing this age at this price that would be its equal in the US.

wilfredmerriweathr I will get more information about the whole import process so far here in Utah and will PM you the details. Getting the truck out of port (Long Beach) turned out to be tricky but in a way was a happy accident. My boss found someone with a TWICC license to get the truck out of the port to a tow yard($75). Then he found some random dude with a 5 car carrier trailer that picked it up at the tow yard and drove it to Salt Lake for $450. He was quick to deliver as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

How long does it normally take after the vehicle arriving at port til we get pictures and info? I was told it was at port on Monday but haven't seen or heard anything since.

Don't want to keep pestering Mathew about but I want the info now!

Keep pestering, you paid for it yeah? Don't feel bad about getting the info. You bought it, they owe you all the info you ask for.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I told him to drive it to my house after he washed off three months of sea salt spray and dust. The thing is mint like I can't believe how good the thing is. Doesn't seem like it was smoked in but it definitely...smells? like Japan. Appears to have a mild lift with some shackles on the leaf springs and has some brand new Pro-Comp shocks on it. Brand new radiator, no indication of the timing belt/water pump done so he is going to look into getting that taken care of.

The interior is awesome. The seats are so much nicer than anything we seem to have specced out for the states thanks to all the :btroll:s we have. The diamond stitch tufted door cards with brown shag at the bottom is nice. The head liner is nice. The underbite/picnic table front bumper is neat. The power take off winch is wild! With a friggin turbo diesel I6 it would surely be able to tear a man in half without even sneezing.

I drove it around the block. The diesel was butter smooth. It idled perfectly, just a hint of you knowing it was a diesel. The clutch takeup was short and smooth. No chatter, no chugging/lugging. Starting in second was as easy as anything else. It definitely had enough scoot to get out of its way. The shifts were a little long but precise and schlick schlick going into the next. It was surprisingly easy. Steering was tight and direct, just the right amount of assist. For something 30 years old it was remarkably good and there is nothing this age at this price that would be its equal in the US.

wilfredmerriweathr I will get more information about the whole import process so far here in Utah and will PM you the details. Getting the truck out of port (Long Beach) turned out to be tricky but in a way was a happy accident. My boss found someone with a TWICC license to get the truck out of the port to a tow yard($75). Then he found some random dude with a 5 car carrier trailer that picked it up at the tow yard and drove it to Salt Lake for $450. He was quick to deliver as well.

:bisonyes:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I missed that bumper the first time you posted it. 5mph bumpers? Got you covered, yo. That's awesome. I love what looks like a factory cover for the winch.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is awesome to hear! Sounds like a kickass truck! Cant wait to hear more, and thank you so much for keeping me updated. It really puts my mind at ease knowing someone else is going through this in Utah. Tell your boss I am hella jealous of that thing!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Keep pestering, you paid for it yeah? Don't feel bad about getting the info. You bought it, they owe you all the info you ask for.

For real, I am on my 4th vehicle bought from them and this last time I had to bug Mat to get port pics, he had forgotten or an email got lost. Once you have your deposit(s) in do not feel bad about asking for translations or anything else, this is the whole point of the business.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Good to know - they did forget to initially send my invoice.

It's just weird because he said it'd be at port Friday (last Friday) which then turned into Monday which then turned into 'should be there by Tues, will send info later this week.' Mainly nervewracking because I need to know condition to know if I should get additional work done in Japan.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Good to know - they did forget to initially send my invoice.

It's just weird because he said it'd be at port Friday (last Friday) which then turned into Monday which then turned into 'should be there by Tues, will send info later this week.' Mainly nervewracking because I need to know condition to know if I should get additional work done in Japan.

I would send an email RIGHT NOW then, or skype later (I never do that). Dude I like Mat hell we are facebook friends but you do have to look out for you, they aren't all knowing and without faults. But I know I felt weird at first sending so many translation requests or questions or whatever but remember you are the customer.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Word. Thanks for the wisdom, I sent him another email (my wife was telling me the same thing.).

Normally I am totally 'that guy' who is always holding business partners accountable but I've corresponded with him a lot these last couple weeks and I keep getting reassured, but then don't hear anything and I get busy with work until suddenly it's a week later and I am like wtf is up with this (won the auction on the 26th but AFAIK nobody has seen any pics other than those low res ones).

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 12, 2019

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Got the update, seems like everything is mechanically sound but uh.... There is some rust. Not structural really but major cancer on one of the rockers.

annnnd the real bad

Not sure what to do, kinda feel like maybe I should take the loss and send it back to auction? Seems mechanically very well taken care of, but that rust is gonna make resale a hard sell...

I shudder to ask this question, but... are these unibody?

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 13, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Ouch! drat man, now why were inspections not allowed? I had to go back read your posts and just saw the sheet, why is there no grade and no marks on the diagram? So far everything I have bought is absolutely rust free but they still have marks pointed out all over the sheet. I am not understanding how you found this one or why it listed this way.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It was listed "as is" with only a couple tiny pictures. Looked immaculate in them (Mat agreed) and I had to bid blind. I knew this could happen so I'm not too torn up, just need to figure out if it's worth bringing over at all. FWIW it seems like timing belt just done, serpentine too, everything appears to work. Engine bay is immaculate and I am assuming it was well taken care of mechanically, but ugh, that rust. Aint nobody gonna want to buy that - I am seriously worried about that side being structurally compromised if this thing is unibody.

Thoughts? I am open to suggestions!

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 13, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That van looks like it has spent its life in Ontario driving on salty winter roads.

What the poo poo?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I'm originally from MN and I promised myself I would never own a vehicle that rusty again. We once replaced the rockers on my XJ with 2x6 steel box. I don't want to have to do that to this, too. Also in one of those pics there is like... a heat shield or some poo poo dragging on the ground.

I will upload interior pics tomorrow but yeah interior looks great. Don't think I care when the exterior is that hosed.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That kind of rust tells me the floor's probably gone too.

A shame, the van must've lived in on the coast and played in the ocean or some poo poo to get that bad.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Goddamn man, that sucks. Things like this is why I always am afraid to blind-bid as there has to be a reason it is being sold 'as-is'. Not having inspections done just opens you up to all sorts of hurt, I've avoided at least one surprise rust from inspections, and then a lot of blown headgaskets and bad mileage fuckery that wasn't disclosed on the sheets.
These vans are unibody, yes.

If I were you I'd leave the van in Japan and eat the loss with whatever happens. Shipping that thing is going to be $1500+ and what would be the point of that? I don't know if you said how much you paid for it or not but you'll probably make some money back, though if you put it back in auction they are going to know about that rust. These HiAces come up quite often and there is no reason to jump on the first one you see.

IN OTHER NEWS finally sold the big Pajero today to a guy that wanted to get into the diesel JDM scene, but only just. Pajero was an inexpensive way (compared to a Cruiser) to see what it was like. Plus its pretty rad on its own, just not as flashy as a big van or Land Cruiser. Means the longest-held inventory we have now is the Rugger and I'm not exactly in a hurry to sell that one.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
253000 yen is what I paid. I think I am going to leave it in Japan if it's unibody.

Knew going in it could happen, so oh well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

253000 yen is what I paid. I think I am going to leave it in Japan if it's unibody.

Knew going in it could happen, so oh well.

It's the right call imho. Especially with this:

This picture you have of the chassis ID stamped in the (uni)body is under the brown plastic cover in my picture, just below the seat controls. There should absolutely not be that flaking or corrosion in there unless the rust is very deep into the body. You can see that the chances are the floors are gone since the wheel well is essentially right underneath.

I don't think there is any saving this van, send it back, wash your hands, try again.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I know, when I saw that frame number plate I was like ohhhhhhh gently caress this poo poo is toast.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yeah don’t bring that over. Just get back what you can. Get inspections son! I got translations on 3 hi aces and a smattering if others tonight but got the info back too late to bid on the good ones.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I had been getting inspections regularly, just took a chance and got burned on this one. No worries and I should be able to make it back eventually. Can't imagine I will get much back out of this thing, though!

Supposedly this thing passed inspection in Jan, and I am not sure how it could have in this condition.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 13, 2019

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
There is no way it passed Shaken, not legitimately anyways.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Mat says that rust 'isn't structural' so that it didn't matter for shaken, but that is definitely structural if it involves floors being gone and whatnot. That rust creeping on the frame number plate belies the true condition of the thing. If it only had surface rust on the undercarriage or around the corners I'd probably use it as a bike haul beater, but the way it looks I don't feel comfortable driving it nor selling it to someone else.

It sucks because while I figured as is might have some mechanical issues I was under the impression that it couldn't pass shaken with cancer like that but I guess maybe they went to the local yakuza run shaken station or something. We were figuring that we might have to do some wrenching on it, but there is literally no way to fix that damage.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 13, 2019

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Can you part out to recoup some cash?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Can you part out to recoup some cash?

I could if I brought it over but not many people are looking for hiace parts in North America and I'd almost certainly spend more money than I'd make. My best bet is to do what I am doing which is to send it back to auction and hope some other sucker buys it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Was just having some brunch when this sexy beast drove up

I completely missed who was driving it but there was a very cute and well mannered dog in the back.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Walked by the local shop that does JDM inspections and saw this Mazda AZ-Offroad (Third gen Suzuki Jimny rebrand) parked outside. Never seen one of these around before. Given that Jeeps are so popular it is kind of remarkable.

Very cute. Very small.

I noticed that it had "E13" lights installed from Luxembourg, so it must be possible to legit modify these in a way that conforms to BC's driving laws.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowy posted:

Was just having some brunch when this sexy beast drove up

I completely missed who was driving it but there was a very cute and well mannered dog in the back.

:fap:

I've been on the lookout for a convertible/soft top 70, of any vintage. Tough to come by as you can imagine. This one has a B series engine in it, indicated by the 'turbo' badge on the back. Also means this one is probably 1990 or older.

This is, uh, not helping with my desires.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Walked by the local shop that does JDM inspections and saw this Mazda AZ-Offroad (Third gen Suzuki Jimny rebrand) parked outside. Never seen one of these around before. Given that Jeeps are so popular it is kind of remarkable.

Very cute. Very small.

I noticed that it had "E13" lights installed from Luxembourg, so it must be possible to legit modify these in a way that conforms to BC's driving laws.

:hawaaaafap:

I wants it. I wants it bad. 6 more years till I can buy one.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Hiace is officially going back to auction (not sure how long that takes).

We're still in this though, the wife is very firm in that she still wants a kickass 4wd van so we might wait until we see what this van nets at auction but we're definitely going to be bringing something over. Just maybe a couple months from now.

Did they make the gas-powered 80 series cruisers in a manual? I have never seen one, it's always autos with the gas i6 and manuals with the diesel. I've always wanted a gas 5 speed but I am not sure they actually produced any.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Hiace is officially going back to auction (not sure how long that takes).

We're still in this though, the wife is very firm in that she still wants a kickass 4wd van so we might wait until we see what this van nets at auction but we're definitely going to be bringing something over. Just maybe a couple months from now.

Did they make the gas-powered 80 series cruisers in a manual? I have never seen one, it's always autos with the gas i6 and manuals with the diesel. I've always wanted a gas 5 speed but I am not sure they actually produced any.

I would be curious what the send-back-to-auction procedure is like, just for curiosity sake but also just in case.

For your gasoline 80 series with a manual, yes, they did. Searching the auction for the last three months out of all the 80 series manual transmissions sold (roughly 30, didn't check to see how many relistings there were) that were legal for US import there was one (1).

Not very popular going by the number of 80 series but a real thing. I'm curious why you'd want gasoline on this Toyota vs. the diesel on the HiAce? Just the F series engine's super reliability?

EDIT

bad rear end van?

I'm not going for it but looks pretty good, 5 speed turbo diesel 4x4 BONGO

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 16, 2019

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah so apparently the diesels of that Era (the one in the cruisers), while strong, need a bottom end rebuild every 150 to 200k, plus the diesels command such a premium. If I can get a petrol powered one then suddenly every Toyota dealer in the USA has spare engine parts and that really means something out here in Utah. If I am taking the thing 120mi back into a high clearance blm road it's nice to know that I can catch a ride to O'Reilly if I need spare parts! So yeah, 3f reliability is a big one. Fuckin price is another one, diesel 80 series cost so much more than petrol powered. That said I'd very much love a diesel 80 if I got a good deal on it and the bottom end bearings had been done.

It's cool they made them, I just need to keep a sharp eye out then.

We are going diesel with the hiace because a) it's gonna be an auto, as we want a supercustom and they appear to be auto-only, and b) we live where driving up really steep mountains is the norm and the freeways in town are 70mph (so basically 80). I know someone with a slower 2.4l hiace and it simply can't hack it on the freeway, so I knew that the kz is the only option. Plus, that resale value! The van will eventually get flipped after camping in it all summer (hoping to flip a couple of them to be honest) and the kz should be a big selling point. We'd accept a town ace or lite ace too, but I don't know as much about the engine options in those.

We want an 80 series to eventually replace the 3rd gen 4runner we use for over landing currently, and I am willing to sacrifice diesel mpg and torque for repairability in every backwoods utah town. But it's gotta be a manual because they are so much better for sand and snow driving.

BTW I have been looking at more hiaces and there were no less than THREE ones identical to mine being sold as is. Makes me wonder if the rust just gets them that bad? Seems to hit the 4wd ones the hardest, which makes sense as they probably just wallow in salty snow slush what with being 4WD/AWD.

Update: Mat will probably have the van at USS Yokohama next week.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 17, 2019

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lol gas in BC is like C$1.6/L right now so I really want to replace my Jeep YJ with a Jimny but I'm not seeing anything good lately. At the moment I'm using my Miata and rarely driving because fortunately I don't really need to, but at some point in the summer I'll want to make some road trip to camp somewhere off road...

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

We are going diesel with the hiace because a) it's gonna be an auto, as we want a supercustom and they appear to be auto-only, and b) we live where driving up really steep mountains is the norm and the freeways in town are 70mph (so basically 80). I know someone with a slower 2.4l hiace and it simply can't hack it on the freeway, so I knew that the kz is the only option. Plus, that resale value! The van will eventually get flipped after camping in it all summer (hoping to flip a couple of them to be honest) and the kz should be a big selling point. We'd accept a town ace or lite ace too, but I don't know as much about the engine options in those.

I've got a Townace with the 3y petrol - mine is a carbed motor so you have to hang out for a few minutes waiting for it to warm up to temp in the mornings :v: It'll do 110kph (70mph) reasonablly happily but I wouldn't want to do 80 for long stretches. This is the RWD one though, I am assuming you're talking about the 4WD ones?

Re: Hiace rust - My sample size is really only the 2WD ones but I've never seen one from the 90s with rust that bad here, though TBF we don't salt roads. Sometimes the 80s campervans will have a bit though.

Femtosecond posted:

lol gas in BC is like C$1.6/L right now so I really want to replace my Jeep YJ with a Jimny but I'm not seeing anything good lately. At the moment I'm using my Miata and rarely driving because fortunately I don't really need to, but at some point in the summer I'll want to make some road trip to camp somewhere off road...

I don't know how bad your Jeep's fuel economy is or if a Jimny is somehow any better, but I was shocked at how bad the Pajero Mini I had was. I was lucky to get 320kms highway to a tank, whereas a regular kei would probably get 500ish in the same situation.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

This thing is from an entirely different planet of quirk. It's like the very tippy-top of 'Subaru' when it was weird. It's right up there with the Brat for just being so goddamned Subaru.
1200 cc 3 cyl engine, mounted way in the back. Rear bumper folds down and away (like any Sambar of this time) with another panel to access the engine from the rear under that carpet. Seating for 7, technically, though it would be a bit cramped but not terribly so. Since it has just over 15k km on it (not even 9400 miles :lol::lol:) it feels brand new, the suspension, seats, wheel, shifting, bushings, all of it. It has great working AC and has another air conditioner in the rear back lump. Electric mirrors, manual steering, one speaker radio. Dual sliding doors with a bias toward the left side since the center seats are mounted closer to the right, also why you get a step on the left. All original stuff throughout the thing, floor mats to the tiny little inclinometer on the dashboard. It even has a tiny little Domingo graphic! Sunsun window, which are the glass panels on either side of the roof. It has that big sliding panel up top but it's currently stuck, so I'll have to figure out how to break it loose. It isn't electric, just manual.
It is slow but the gearing is so long that it actually can do highway speeds. I want to get new tires on it before I venture it out on the interstate to REALLY see, but I can hit 80 kph in 4th while going into 5th. Have the original manuals as well because of course, and they come in a special "CHUO SUBARU" vinyl folder thing.

This is right off the boat, it hasn't been cleaned or detailed at all, this is how it showed up from Japan. It will look even better after I make a run at it. :getin:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 18, 2019

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
15k km whaaaaaaaaat
Dang!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That 1.2L 3-cylinder in that Domingo is the same EF12 you would find in a Justy. Hint hint, kastein.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Another minty fresh 90s piece, this one being a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado. Wife and I loved the 2 door white one so when I saw this one we bid for it under the knowledge that we'd probably for-real be keeping it.
As you can see it is very clean and has never been abused, and I'd be surprised if it has ever left the roads and gone off them. EX5 package means this is the highest trim you could get at the time for a Prado, though this one was optioned with the 5 speed manual rather than the auto. The only other option it has is the 'narrow body' one, which means there are no fenders over the wheels like on the wide-body version. Identical otherwise, they have a different chassis code. This one also lacks rear locking diff, but as a mall crawler ~who cares~.
As far as I know there were three levels of interior fabric you could get, the standard weave that the true 70 series came with, a mid-tier soft set that was in our white one, and this artificial suede-like stuff. Covers everything, seats and door cards alike. Sunroof, AC, even the original Toyota stereo. Debating if we should just ad aux input to the current stereo to preserve aesthetics or go with one of those tablets as this is double-din. It will absolutely have to be one that can be turned completely off.
There is no indication that the timing belt has ever been done and the manuals weren't included, so that's what i'll be doing first, belts and water pump. 92,000 km on the clock, or 58,000 total miles.

Also included:

These things are super dirty, but this was in the very back storage bin that's in the floor just before the rear bumper. That silvery-gray bag is Toyota branded and included Toyota Cleaner Wax, Toyota Glass cleaner, Toyota brush, Toyota rubber gloves (!), and a Toyota apron (!!). The jumper cables are not Toyota branded, nor is the little wash mitt, good quality though. A freakin' Toyota apron and gloves though!
Prado is, just like the Domingo, right off the boat and hasn't been cleaned or detailed at all. Won't take much though.

These are two of the nicest vehicles we've ever imported and it's pretty nice to get them at the same time as they occupy opposite ends of a spectrum. The Subaru is this quite odd weird van thing while the Prado is a dead-serious machine. Both in incredible shape.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I am absolutely delighted by that Prado wheel cover

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
That Subaru is so wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riller
Jun 16, 2008