Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Rise of the Triad is the best game I've only played one level of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i had my mind absolutely blown when i went to rock paper shotgun this morning and they had an article about spooky castle, a game i played heaps of on one of those share/freeware game cds but i thought id never work out the name of

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Cleretic posted:

I thought there was an episode of Commander Keen that was effectively lost because the shareware approach meant nobody had it, but I can't find any evidence of that.

When checking that I did find out that apparently Keen Dreams, and only Keen Dreams, is on Nintendo Switch, though. I think that counts for this thread, because there had to be some glitch in reality to cause that to happen.

Wikipedia posted:

Keen Dreams was not as widely played or noted as the other Keen games, and as it was owned by Softdisk was included in only one of the several compilation releases of the series by id or regular publisher Apogee Software; as a result, it became known as the "lost episode" of the series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commander_Keen_in_Keen_Dreams#Legacy

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FactsAreUseless posted:

I spent a lot of time with these as a poor child, despite having an NES. They were neat because you never knew what the hell you were going to get, and there was a thrill in finding hidden gems in there.

Do kids these days even know the joy of going to a computer swap meet, walking up to a table full of floppy disks and CDs in narrow cardboard boxes and just spending 10 minutes flipping through them until something grabbed their eye?

Simpsons Doom :allears:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Come to think of it, Asscreed games really haven't shown any respect to any other facet of history, so it borders on a miracle that they haven't had you meet Jesus yet.

Not met, but one codex entry in AC2 mentions that Jesus was an amateur philosopher and carpenter apprentice, basically "nobody", who stumbled upon a piece of Eden -precursor artifact.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Der Kyhe posted:

Not met, but one codex entry in AC2 mentions that Jesus was an amateur philosopher and carpenter apprentice, basically "nobody", who stumbled upon a piece of Eden -precursor artifact.
It's nice that they're at least consistent about making GBS threads on the achievements of everyone in all of history who doesn't belong one of their two Original Conspiracy Do Not Steal in some manner.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Cardiovorax posted:

It's nice that they're at least consistent about making GBS threads on the achievements of everyone in all of history who doesn't belong one of their two Original Conspiracy Do Not Steal in some manner.

drat, can't believe they're marketed as edutainment too... smdh

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I kind of wonder sometimes how often it happens that some middle schooler is writing a history test and the line "and that's when the assassin Auditore murdered the pope" pops up. You know, just in general. I'd bet money that it can't be zero.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Shareware discs are how I played Castle of the Winds, the only one of those games good enough to be memorable.

Cool shareware games I remember playing that I'm pretty sure I first found on those bundle CDs (and keeping in mind we were a Mac household when I was a kid):
  • Exile: Escape from the Pit
  • Escape Velocity
  • Taskmaker
  • Realmz

I think they're also how I was introduced to Moria, and thereby Angband. Those are both completely free though.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Farecoal posted:

drat, can't believe they're marketed as edutainment too... smdh

woke up from a blackout to discover I'd downloaded disc images for the entire Apple II output of Sunburst Communications and had thoroughly, brutally edutained myself

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is a really minor thing but since there's no stamina meter in Sekiro and Wolf can sprint pretty fast it's very easy to force the game to reload corpses in an area and for a brief second you'll see them all jostle around as they're affected by the physics engine again. I don't know why but it always makes me smile when there's an area big enough that I can run back through it and see a bunch of corpses doing little hops down the street as they load.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

food court bailiff posted:

This is a really minor thing but since there's no stamina meter in Sekiro and Wolf can sprint pretty fast it's very easy to force the game to reload corpses in an area and for a brief second you'll see them all jostle around as they're affected by the physics engine again. I don't know why but it always makes me smile when there's an area big enough that I can run back through it and see a bunch of corpses doing little hops down the street as they load.

I'm playing DS2 and it's the first game where I've really noticed this happening. For the first 20 or so hours of the game I'd freak out when I entered an area I thought I cleared, and would hear things thumping and flopping around. Eventually I figured out it was the bodies spawning back in.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Cool shareware games I remember playing that I'm pretty sure I first found on those bundle CDs (and keeping in mind we were a Mac household when I was a kid):
  • Escape Velocity
  • Taskmaker
  • Realmz

I think they're also how I was introduced to Moria, and thereby Angband. Those are both completely free though.

So much :same:

Ambrosia Software was responsible for far too many of my Mac game favourites - the EV series especially.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
PCGamer demo discs were a vital part of my childhood. There is something to be said about being served a bunch of random poo poo and have no choice but to play them, really allows you to try a lot of things you would never have chosen otherwise. RIP demos. I guess the modern equivalent is those people who download a game on Steam to play it for an hour or two and then just refund it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
a few game still have demos. kenshi has a pretty good one, for example. it's the whole game, just with a stat ceiling of 20 (out of 100 in the full game)

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Cleretic posted:

I thought there was an episode of Commander Keen that was effectively lost because the shareware approach meant nobody had it, but I can't find any evidence of that.

When checking that I did find out that apparently Keen Dreams, and only Keen Dreams, is on Nintendo Switch, though. I think that counts for this thread, because there had to be some glitch in reality to cause that to happen.

The rights to Keen Dreams was purchased by a person who eventually got banned from Steam from renaming their company on Steam to "Gayben's flatulent rear end in a top hat"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

• Escape Velocity
  • Taskmaker
  • Realmz

Yeah, Exile: Escape from the Pit was awesome because it literally was half a game. There was a barrier separating the Eastern half from the Western half. This also made it an incredible cocktease, because you could spends dozens of hours playing and then you would just ran out of areas to visit. So you’d start fighting two of the dragons or deal with those devils locked away in the Tower of Magi.

It’s also the game that introduced me to the concept of modding. The PC/NPC sprites were stored as a sheet in bitmap format, so on Windows you could open them with Paint. It started with me fixing a sprite that didn’t have the right color of shoulderpads when he got mirrored. Then I edited the pattern on a shield. Eventually I just copy-pasted enemy sprites so I could play with a cool lizard mage in my party.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cardiovorax posted:

I kind of wonder sometimes how often it happens that some middle schooler is writing a history test and the line "and that's when the assassin Auditore murdered the pope" pops up. You know, just in general. I'd bet money that it can't be zero.
That middle schooler clearly hasn't played the game to the end, because the assassin Auditore makes a point of not murdering the pope because it wouldn't solve anything (and also because he's not supposed to die until some years later).

He should write "and that's when the assassin Auditore kicked the pope in the balls 18 times."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Do kids these days even know the joy of going to a computer swap meet, walking up to a table full of floppy disks and CDs in narrow cardboard boxes and just spending 10 minutes flipping through them until something grabbed their eye?

Simpsons Doom :allears:
We had a catalog and I could only pick EGA games, because we didn't have a VGA monitor.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That reminds me of a glitch I had in AC2. I was up in the rafters in the church in the endgame, watching the pope give his mass and the audience in the pews. I creep up to above the pope, make my dive to kill him...and he vanishes. Just gone. All of the churchgoers in the pews get terrified and try to run away, but they can't find the exit to the church, so they just get in line and do laps in a circle in the open space the pope had been standing in. It was goddamn creepy, and I was half-convinced the pope vanishing was intentional.

Then I reloaded, and the second time around it triggered properly. :shrug:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CantDecideOnAName posted:

A friend of mine was playing Fallout 4 and somehow had this happen- she had to revert to an earlier save because she couldn't fix it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQJjWJp_EO8

Farecoal posted:

he's just tuckered out after the big battle, let him rest

agreed, he deserves a relaxing time

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

spongeh posted:

The rights to Keen Dreams was purchased by a person who eventually got banned from Steam from renaming their company on Steam to "Gayben's flatulent rear end in a top hat"

...well, okay then. I guess that's an explanation.

That kinda makes me wonder how much the rights to random, obscure shareware-era games are now. I'm sure it's still a lot, but it feels like a great weird novelty to own the rights to something like Crystal Caves.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Crystal Caves will never fall into the public domain. Maybe it could be like that old term "abandonware" which is not a real legal concept, but is supposed to mean "software that nobody cares if it gets pirated"...

The rights for everything are owned by someone out there somewhere and they will be until the end of time (unless we destroy the Mickey Mouse juggernaught), and they may have traversed through a weird series of probate & bankruptcy courts and maybe nobody even knows any longer or is paying attention, but if they do and are, the hammer could come down any moment if you're sharing it.

It's dumb as heck, something like patent rules would make sense, say 10 years copyright is automatic + an optional 10 year extension (for a registry fee so the big corps dont just autoextend everything). Long tail and all, they're not making money anymore after 1-2 years anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tyrian got open sourced, at least. The dude who did the pixel art from it cleaned up all the extracted files for free use in other games (the website also has the assets he made for three other games that never got published).

http://www.lostgarden.com/2007/04/free-game-graphics-tyrian-ships-and.html?m=1

Cool guy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh yeah, actually the folks behind ScummVM have made great strides in getting old point&click adventure games freed up in various ways (either private access to code so they could reimplement the engine, or full blown public domain versions).

https://www.scummvm.org

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Krankenstyle posted:

Crystal Caves will never fall into the public domain. Maybe it could be like that old term "abandonware" which is not a real legal concept, but is supposed to mean "software that nobody cares if it gets pirated"...

Oh, I'm not saying 'I want to have these games fall into the public domain', although I do agree that's a good thing to have happen. I'm saying that I want to legally own the rights to some old, random, esoteric game that nobody fully remembers but might know the title of, just to say that I do.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Tunicate posted:

Tyrian got open sourced, at least. The dude who did the pixel art from it cleaned up all the extracted files for free use in other games (the website also has the assets he made for three other games that never got published).

http://www.lostgarden.com/2007/04/free-game-graphics-tyrian-ships-and.html?m=1

Cool guy.

Fruit Ship 9 forever.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cleretic posted:

Oh, I'm not saying 'I want to have these games fall into the public domain', although I do agree that's a good thing to have happen. I'm saying that I want to legally own the rights to some old, random, esoteric game that nobody fully remembers but might know the title of, just to say that I do.

oh yea that'd be kinda neat hah

actually, i do own the rights to several hypercard games from the early 90s... alas they never saw a wide release, i think i copied some for my cousin tho.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The best part about those old shareware games is that there are still 1994-era websites up for some of those devs where they'll still gladly sell you the full version for :10bux:.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

man when I got a new computer in 1998 and the unreal tournament demo a little later, I was loving set for months.

Last Chance has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Apr 13, 2019

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

• Escape Velocity
  • Taskmaker
  • Realmz

Same, especially Realmz.
I remember looking up how to hex edit the save file in order to give my whole party all the cool stuff, like fire swords.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Same, especially Realmz.
I remember looking up how to hex edit the save file in order to give my whole party all the cool stuff, like fire swords.

Yyyyyep. I remember downloading hacked characters that had stats through the roof. They'd attack with rare magic gear that did fire/frost/lightning damage on every hit, so it'd be like +4 burn damage! +3 ice damage! +4 lightning damage! +2714 physical damage!

I also discovered a dupe trick wholly on my own. This was one of those games where you'd make a bunch of characters, then you'd assemble them into a party and load the party into a scenario. Thus there was a character/party management screen, where you could arrange your party and trade items between characters. I think the way it worked was that characters in scenarios were saved in a different savefile from characters not in a scenario, so you could trade a scenario item to a non-scenario character, then reload the scenario save to restore the item and be able to trade it again.

I reported this to the dev, in particular how you could use it to make exponentially huge stacks of gain-stat potions. Their response was not to fix the bug, but to make the gain-stat potions not stack. :nallears:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
https://i.imgur.com/gCY39Ol.mp4

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I reported this to the dev, in particular how you could use it to make exponentially huge stacks of gain-stat potions. Their response was not to fix the bug, but to make the gain-stat potions not stack. :nallears:
... that doesn't seem like it'd fix the actual issue.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

John Murdoch posted:

The best part about those old shareware games is that there are still 1994-era websites up for some of those devs where they'll still gladly sell you the full version for :10bux:.

At least Warpath Classic is free. Don't know if them promoting Warpath 21st Century has worked out for them tho.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

It's dumb as heck, something like patent rules would make sense, say 10 years copyright is automatic + an optional 10 year extension (for a registry fee so the big corps dont just autoextend everything). Long tail and all, they're not making money anymore after 1-2 years anyway.
Honestly, if I wrote a book and after ten years, some guy came and told me "yeah, you don't own this anymore now, I'm gonna keep publishing it but you won't see a cent," would that honestly be any less hosed up? More convenient for you personally, maybe, but that's not even just how many years were between publishing the first and the last book of the Harry Potter series.

The problem is that the lawmakers are lazy fucktards and refuse to admit that software isn't an artistic intellectual work like a singular-author book series is, and as such shouldn't simply be treated as exactly like it under the same set of blanket rules.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Honestly, if I wrote a book and after ten years, some guy came and told me "yeah, you don't own this anymore now, I'm gonna keep publishing it but you won't see a cent," would that honestly be any less hosed up? More convenient for you personally, maybe, but that's not even just how many years were between publishing the first and the last book of the Harry Potter series.

The problem is that the lawmakers are lazy fucktards and refuse to admit that software isn't an artistic intellectual work like a singular-author book series is, and as such shouldn't simply be treated as exactly like it under the same set of blanket rules.

Regardless of what the timeline is, the creator of the work is going to feel put out if others start profiting off of it without giving the creator anything. The point isn't to find some magic point at which the creator says "you know what? You're right, feel free to do whatever you like with my baby." The point is to pick a point that's as short as possible without discouraging many creators from creating. Copyright law is supposed to benefit society, by a) making sure that creators get to benefit from their creations (since with no copyright at all, it'd be very hard to justify the time and effort of creating easily-copied works), and then b) getting those works out to society, so that people can enjoy them and incorporate them into their own creations.

I'm not saying you specifically are doing this, but anyone arguing that you need a life-of-creator-plus-70-years copyright to encourage people to create probably also believes that billionaires need tax cuts to encourage them to spend their money.

The option I've heard of that seems pretty reasonable to me is have exponentially more expensive copyright extensions. By default you get, say, five years, which is enough to get most of the profitability out of most works. If you decide it's worth $10k to get another five years, go for it. The next five years after that is $100k. And so on. In rare cases this will make legit business sense, because the work is the foundation of some large, profitable media empire. When that happens, everyone benefits through the increased copyright fees you pay. But in the majority of the cases, it's not worth it, so all the uncapitalized works fall into the public domain where everyone else can then try making their own spins on the piece.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not saying you specifically are doing this, but anyone arguing that you need a life-of-creator-plus-70-years copyright to encourage people to create probably also believes that billionaires need tax cuts to encourage them to spend their money.
I mean, maybe not "plus seventy years," but I could make no less of a snide argument that there isn't a lot of difference between calling for shorter-than-lifelong creator copyright and saying "I don't want to have to pay for old things," either.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
So rich people can basically protect their copyright practically ad infinitum and poor people lose anything in about 5-10 years. Sounds about right.

I agree with Cardiovorax's sentiment. If as you say it's about 'the benefit of society', I'd like to see what arguments are put forth that short copyright laws on things like books are of a benefit to society at all. If you write a popular book, what use is making it free-use within a few years? So film studios can wait you out and get the rights for nothing? So companies can commodify and profit off it? So anyone can publish a bunch of cheap cash in sequels?

Unlike computer programs, books are basically evergreen purchases and don't really get 'outdated' or 'superseded' in the same way. If you write 3-4 books which barely sell any, then your 5th book gets big and suddenly your back-catalogue is in demand, what then? If you couldn't afford or didn't see the point in extending in the past because they weren't successful, now you miss the entire value of decades of writing, essentially.

Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly, but it just seems like your alternative system just fucks poorer people and encourages a system ripe for manipulation where people can just wait out your copyright and then take full advantage. Not to mention it would likely cause a vast rise in simply derivative content as opposed to original works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

So anyone can publish a bunch of cheap cash in sequels?
This, by the way, historically used to be a real problem. There are a lot of contemporary "unauthorized sequels" to famous works by Goethe and the like, for example, who wrote the kinds of widely popular novels that would today be called a bestseller.

quote:

Unlike computer programs, books are basically evergreen purchases and don't really get 'outdated' or 'superseded' in the same way.
Yeah, this is really the other half of the problem. Video games become outdated for purely technological reasons in a way no book ever has or ever will. Shakespeare's original works may be close to unreadable today, but that's for linguistic reasons, not because they're simply smaller, worse or less capable than a modern novel. I mean, hell, Lord of the Rings was published in the 1940s, but how much of its licensing and sales probably happened only within the last 20 years or so? Tolkien himself has been dead since 1973.

The first Might & Magic game is just categorically inferior when compared to basically any given RPG developed in the last 15 years, though, and that's not really a difference you can argue with.