Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
He's the point-of-view character, which is not the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

Similarly, if u like awful hospital you should check out All Night Laundry for a reader driven comic that has a ton of complicated time travel in it.

The artist updates every day incessantly and somehow doesn't make a time travel plotline completely insufferable.

I'm like a tenth of the way in to this so far (judging by the page count) and I'm pretty gripped. How long has this been going? I'm surprised I haven't heard of it before.

Also kind of amused around the end of chapter 2 where the author estimates in the notes he's about half way through the story. Page 150 of 2148.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I'm like a tenth of the way in to this so far (judging by the page count) and I'm pretty gripped. How long has this been going? I'm surprised I haven't heard of it before.

Also kind of amused around the end of chapter 2 where the author estimates in the notes he's about half way through the story. Page 150 of 2148.

It literally started on the mspaintadventures forums in May 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
witchy is still good, im interested in the recent dramatic change in coloring process

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

In other news, Giant Days continues to be really good, and I really like Max Sarin's take on The Boy (fat version).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

A big flaming stink posted:

Similarly, if u like awful hospital you should check out All Night Laundry for a reader driven comic that has a ton of complicated time travel in it.

The artist updates every day incessantly and somehow doesn't make a time travel plotline completely insufferable.

All Night Laundry also appears to be winding up for its finale, and so far it's been an exciting and not-terribly-difficult-to-follow story about time travel and fighting an inter-dimensional cosmic entity in its sleep, so it should have a pretty crazy ending sequence coming up soon.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
something horrible is about to happen to this man

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh yeah absolutely

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ashcans posted:

Wait what the hell, this made me realize that my RSS broke or something when Unsounded went on a short break - I thought the dude had just ghosted because no more updates filtered through, but apparently it was just my feed?

If I had a dime for every Web comic I've rediscovered five years later because they changed their RSS address and never told anyone...

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

FronzelNeekburm posted:

If I had a dime for every Web comic I've rediscovered five years later because they changed their RSS address and never told anyone...
but then you get five years' worth of pages all at once!

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

RE2 Intensifies.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Morbi I know the comic is on indefinite hiatus but I demand the yearly April Fool's announcement that secretly contains one or more actual plot spoilers

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So it's looking like the answer may just be "The Author is bad" but I'm really not getting what Howard Taylor is doing with the immortality stuff in Schlock Mercenary. The series has gone from pretty generic sci-fi medical care (if they can get your brain in a jar before it runs out of oxygen you're gonna be okay) up to approaching The Singularity and having people on digital archives from which replacements can be grown in the event that a person suffers the kind of loss that can't be recovered from, like being vaporized in a ship-to-ship engagement. The series also takes some time to examine the philosophy around these arrangements, and it makes it very explicit that making a copy of a dead person is not the same thing as saving them from death.

Lately, the series has vaporized or otherwise killed the majority of the core cast, had their surviving comrades mourn their loss, and then tried to have its cake and eat it too by making copies of everyone who died, giving the clones their old jobs back, and having business generally carry on as usual aside from the occasional punchline. It's creating some powerful tonal dissonance, and I'm not clear what the author is even expecting me to feel or what purpose was served by these deaths.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I think the purpose is that the comic is attempting to track epochal social change, including changes in the nature of consciousness and life, in its setting. In comedy form.

Remember that the entire 'main story' really began with the invention of the teraport, totally warping galactic civilization, and now they're discovering that previous civilizations underwent something similar and also all abandoned ship on the galaxy. So I think that dissonance you notice is in fact a very intentional part of the comic: Society is rapidly changing and becoming different from how it was, and the punchline is that either the protagonists are going to get made obsolete and retire, or they're going to keep doing petty mercenary work, forever. It's interesting; if he sticks with it, the question is going to be 'what do you do with mercenaries in a society that no longer recognizes death, may not have war, and is dealing with far larger concepts.' You can question how well he's doing it, and I would - I think his strength is not describing a realistic, living society - but there does seem to be some social SF intent.

Also I suspect the comic will have to end after the current deep history arc. All the themes of the recent stories aim towards The End sooner rather than later.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Death is real in the Schlockverse, though, even with the beginnings of the Singularity. Having your personality on file somewhere does nothing to ameliorate the fact that you, personally, are dead. The narrative acknowledges this, the characters acknowledge this, and story arcs have taken pains to make it absolutely explicit that, for instance the current Captain Tagon is not the same person as the Captain Tagon who used a ship-to-ship warhead as a suicide bomb. Some of this is very much what you've described - the author is exploring these philosophical concepts by having the characters in the setting experience them. I'm griping about parts of his execution and how it's impacting the pacing and emotional beats of the narrative.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I've said it before elsewhere but it bears repeating, from what I've hear of him and his writing processes via the Writing Excuses podcast, Howard is sometimes prone to some galaxy brain thinking when it comes to Schlock Mercenary and tends to get out over his skiis a bit in places.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Voyager I posted:

Death is real in the Schlockverse, though, even with the beginnings of the Singularity. Having your personality on file somewhere does nothing to ameliorate the fact that you, personally, are dead. The narrative acknowledges this, the characters acknowledge this, and story arcs have taken pains to make it absolutely explicit that, for instance the current Captain Tagon is not the same person as the Captain Tagon who used a ship-to-ship warhead as a suicide bomb. Some of this is very much what you've described - the author is exploring these philosophical concepts by having the characters in the setting experience them. I'm griping about parts of his execution and how it's impacting the pacing and emotional beats of the narrative.

Death may be real, but the effect is going to be pretty blunted by the degree of continuity involved! It's also a hot philosophy of mind question whether the 'teraport' would be killing everyone that used it and just assembling copies, so, the comic has long taken the position that people are going to react to their loved ones dying and being copied as 'dead but also not dead' rather than 'who is this new person.' You can disagree with the presentation - again, I think it's very much something worth criticizing - but it's pretty clear that the point is that death is ceasing to mean anything socially. Tagon's experiencing a weird friction that comes from forking, sure, but everyone present just copied off themselves for a one-way trip, and it's clear that the author thinks people will more or less just... get on with their lives in the direction they're currently moving.

E: Yeah, I agree that Howard is a competent writer but bit off more than he could chew with galactic-scale social science fiction. However, the current arc is actually much less fragmented than some of the stuff leading up to it, and I've been enjoying the Deep History Conference and so on; I think he's handling this round better than the last few. Of course, if he DOESN'T end the series around this arc, I have no idea where it can go.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I completely lost the plot for the latest arcs and apparently everybody else did too because there was that Sunday comic a week or two ago which summarized everything that has happened recently.

It really does look like he is winding up for the big finale, I wouldn't be surprised if he's decided on an even 20 years of comics.

The nature of mind and what it means to be a person has probably been the most commonly reoccurring theme in the comic, which is weird considering it started out as a fourth-wall breaking nerd comedy thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's better than the storylines a year or so ago where they were either jumping between 4 different loosely related plotlines every week, or when they all got so wrapped up in the impossible amount of wealth available to them that they lost all perspective.

The best storylines in the comic have been the smaller-scale ones with clear terms and characters to follow, but I guess he's gotten really wrapped up in fermi's paradox and wants to do some grand scale speculative science fiction, which is a shame.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
I know a lot of you dingdongs liked Cheap Thrills back in the day, well guess what the creator is making it again but the characters are humans

speaking as one such dingdong this pleases me greatly

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Voyager I posted:

So it's looking like the answer may just be "The Author is bad" but I'm really not getting what Howard Taylor is doing with the immortality stuff in Schlock Mercenary. The series has gone from pretty generic sci-fi medical care (if they can get your brain in a jar before it runs out of oxygen you're gonna be okay) up to approaching The Singularity and having people on digital archives from which replacements can be grown in the event that a person suffers the kind of loss that can't be recovered from, like being vaporized in a ship-to-ship engagement. The series also takes some time to examine the philosophy around these arrangements, and it makes it very explicit that making a copy of a dead person is not the same thing as saving them from death.

Lately, the series has vaporized or otherwise killed the majority of the core cast, had their surviving comrades mourn their loss, and then tried to have its cake and eat it too by making copies of everyone who died, giving the clones their old jobs back, and having business generally carry on as usual aside from the occasional punchline. It's creating some powerful tonal dissonance, and I'm not clear what the author is even expecting me to feel or what purpose was served by these deaths.

It's not very well written and being slaved to delivering some kind of dadjoke every four panels does it absolutely no favors, but nobody in the comic knows how to feel about all their friends/themselves being 'dead' but also walking around just like normal either, and at a certain point they just kinda shrug and get on with their day cause what else is there to do; that's the point.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Grantaire posted:

I know a lot of you dingdongs liked Cheap Thrills back in the day, well guess what the creator is making it again but the characters are humans

AAAAA! AAAAAAAAAAA! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Three Word Phrase is updating again

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Grantaire posted:

in my heart frank will always be a canid mange-beast

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

On their Tumblr the artist mentions having trouble redesigning Frank as a human without making him horrific and alienating to look at, lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

in my heart frank will always be a canid mange-beast

extreme same, she shoulda redone the other characters but left him a totally unexplained chinese crested meth mascot

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Grantaire posted:

Is there an RSS feed? I can't find one on the website.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

This is what my chrome extension grabs when I hit my browser's rss button. It's there if you view the source, but isn't linked anywhere that I can see.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Well drat, something happened in Questionable Content.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

habeasdorkus posted:

Well drat, something happened in Questionable Content.
For all of Jeph's attempts at making realistic queer 20-somethings, this is the first time he's actually really hit on it.

Lesbian relationships happen in dog years.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah. At least based on the lesbian couples I'm friends/acquaintances with* the old joke about what a lesbian brings to the second date was definitely true.**

* (who are all of the same level of fairly high social status/extremely high educational attainment, so biased and also fairly small sample)
* (q: what does a lesbian bring on the second date? a: a U-Haul)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

habeasdorkus posted:

* (q: what does a lesbian bring on the second date? a: a U-Haul)

third date's the turkey baster.

edit: in comics news, menage a archime finally died. dunno if anyone was tracking that, but it happened. collapsed under the weight of neverending dad-horny. anyway please enjoy our new comic, exactly-the-same-as-every-other-one-of-our-comics.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 12, 2019

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

same lucy

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean to be fair, Tai and Dora have been dating for years of real time now. I have no idea how much time is meant to have passed in strip years, though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dangerously Chloe finally ended, and I'm almost impressed by how it managed to grow steadily more horrifying with every update no matter how often I thought it had hit rock bottom.

Even its own dedicated forum hates it, good Lord.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

Dangerously Chloe finally ended, and I'm almost impressed by how it managed to grow steadily more horrifying with every update no matter how often I thought it had hit rock bottom.

I'd ask if the dimly remembered thing I thought happened happened, but I'm going to assume A) it did and 2) it was worse than I thought.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I would like to know more. Feed me the trash, laughing at bad stuff nourishes me.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rand Brittain posted:

how chloe did it get? did it become too dangerously chloe, or did it remain in unhazardous levels of chloe

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

how chloe did it get? did it become too dangerously chloe, or did it remain in unhazardous levels of chloe

I don't really want to go into a list, so I'm just going to say something I realized the other day, which is true of that whole oversized shared universe, which is:

It's basically every supernatural sexy anime comedy from the 80's and 90's, except that everything that was only implied in those shows, and that led Rumiko Takahashi to tell people, "I don't think about that and neither should you," is completely explicit here and getting right down into it is exactly what the author wants to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
checks unsounded for updates

oh cool, child landmine death

man unsounded is a hosed up comic to be in