Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xerxes17 posted:

Zypher, thank you for consistently engaging with my posts and random ideas, but I am currently playing the game at grand admiral, so i know about all the current mechanics :)

To a degree I like the idea of being able to fortify space, add in things like FTL jammers (on asteroids or moons that you then have to bombard) that can be turned on and off for laying traps, strike craft bases and etc..

As for the timer....

Hmm, maybe 15 is too short, perhaps 22 days then? Could also make it tie-in with the largest size of ship in the fleet so that you can't use Titans and BBs in hit-and-jump attacks.
Honestly I'd settle for a button to tell my ships to just... Fly away from the engagement. Turn around and book it away while you're waiting to EFTL instead of going down blazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Best strategy for not losing generals is to pick one with the trait that improves withdrawal chances.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Jabor posted:

Best strategy for not losing generals is to pick one with the trait that improves withdrawal chances.

....but butcher is the best for xenophobe :downs:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Best strategy for not losing generals is not buying any

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Imagine if the generals in EU4 were tied to a particular unit of 1000 infantry and instantly died when they reached 0 in a battle.

Sextro posted:

Are there any lists of suggested QoL mods or similar? I put in 100ish hours when this game had no DLC/expansions and had just gotten 1 big patch and now I remembered it exists and bought all the content so I am ready to dive back in.
Speeddial. Tiny outliner. Tiny ship designs. Tiny leaders. Hell, just search the workshop for "tiny" and get anything that turns bloated lists into sleek ones.

Personally I also like the Multiple Crisis mod but it's kinda the opposite of a QoL if things trigger too close in time. :)

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I really, really hope factions are rebalanced one day. The way they work they're just free Influence and most of the game you don't actually have to interact with them.

The reason is mostly that there is a lot of positive feedback between faction dominance and the dominant ideology.

1. Factions don't appear until there is already a significant number of people with appropriate ethics. Meanwhile, people rarely convert to ethics with inactive factions. This means that for a large part of the game you'll be stuck with the two factions representing your Empire ethics unless an event converts a large part of your population.
2. The leader of a faction becoming a ruler gives another large bonus to conversion. Meanwhile, large faction support gives a leader an advantage in democratic elections.
3. Factions support ethics-related play style (for example, Militarist Faction likes when you have a rival). However, plenty of these play styles also give a bonus to conversion (having a rival makes your people more Militarist). This means the most influential factions are usually the happiest ones, and the best way to deal with a faction you don't want is ignoring them.
4. Unhappy pops may eventually trigger an event that pushes them from dominant ideology, but there must be enough of them to significantly tank Stability - and given that members of the most dominant factions are usually the happiest ones, this rarely happens.
5. The entire conversion system lacks any balancing mechanism - the more extreme you go, the weaker the opposing factions are. A long hellwar doesn't pull people towards Pacifism, as in V2. Heavily stratified society doesn't empower Egalitarians who want the injustice to end.

The end result is that instead of managing factions and giving concessions here and there to appease them, you just pick the two you like and ignore the rest, or even suppress them. Sometimes it can bite you in the rear end, for example if you're a democratic paradise who conquered the Ur-Quan, but it's usually easy to deal with and most of the time factions are just free Influence.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

That is something I hope gets a major update in their next expansion. Dealing with internal politics on top of other politics could be really fun but, like you said, it’s heavily skewed to favour just one dominant faction.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jabor posted:

Also keeps your armies around because losing assault armies boosts war exhaustion and is sometimes my only major source aside from the ticking upwards.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I figure major faction changes would be alongside a big diplomacy update, because factions are just begging to be involved in diplomatic shenanigans - alongside espionage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gantolandon posted:

I really, really hope factions are rebalanced one day. The way they work they're just free Influence and most of the game you don't actually have to interact with them.

The reason is mostly that there is a lot of positive feedback between faction dominance and the dominant ideology.

1. Factions don't appear until there is already a significant number of people with appropriate ethics. Meanwhile, people rarely convert to ethics with inactive factions. This means that for a large part of the game you'll be stuck with the two factions representing your Empire ethics unless an event converts a large part of your population.
2. The leader of a faction becoming a ruler gives another large bonus to conversion. Meanwhile, large faction support gives a leader an advantage in democratic elections.
3. Factions support ethics-related play style (for example, Militarist Faction likes when you have a rival). However, plenty of these play styles also give a bonus to conversion (having a rival makes your people more Militarist). This means the most influential factions are usually the happiest ones, and the best way to deal with a faction you don't want is ignoring them.
4. Unhappy pops may eventually trigger an event that pushes them from dominant ideology, but there must be enough of them to significantly tank Stability - and given that members of the most dominant factions are usually the happiest ones, this rarely happens.
5. The entire conversion system lacks any balancing mechanism - the more extreme you go, the weaker the opposing factions are. A long hellwar doesn't pull people towards Pacifism, as in V2. Heavily stratified society doesn't empower Egalitarians who want the injustice to end.

The end result is that instead of managing factions and giving concessions here and there to appease them, you just pick the two you like and ignore the rest, or even suppress them. Sometimes it can bite you in the rear end, for example if you're a democratic paradise who conquered the Ur-Quan, but it's usually easy to deal with and most of the time factions are just free Influence.
I want factions to be just... more. A lot of stuff I want could be (and at one point was) handled by factions. Like rebellions were a faction that would spring up and be all "We're the This Planet Independence Party". The problem was the only way to deal with this was to give them independence or to pay influence to press the suppress party button. What I'd like is if this faction had lesser demands you could meet, like making them a sector capital, which would jack up their happiness and cause people to move to the Feelin' Fine party because their happiness went up. Not instead of the current system but beside it. Like everyone has their ethos faction and their Big Complaint faction with happy pops' having a heavy draw toward the Actually Nevermind I'm Good faction.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Imagine having generals on the front line

Like, dude, that isn't your job; that's not why I hired you

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Potato Salad posted:

The guy's icon is a battleaxe -- you're not keeping him away from the fight.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Potato Salad posted:

Fanatical Egalitarians give polite suggestions from the front.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Potato Salad posted:

Imagine needing armies when all you want to do is glass the planet.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

prefect posted:

I finally found a reptilian civilization that was atomic age and therefore qualified for the "Payback" achievement, and as I was crusing over to build an observation station, they nuked themselves. :doom:

I had an awesome "Oh my god what I have I done!?" moment like this. I found some atomic age folks and starting to influence them to be more like me. I'm militerist, so they became more warlike, and then nuked themselves too. :(

Edit to add: Factions are also kinda overwhelming and unmanageable at large populations, and a domestic politics overhaul should spruce them up more as to be a little more hands on.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 12, 2019

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jabor posted:

I choose the ones with reduced collateral damage because dead pops can't be put to work afterwards.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
What's the point of building robots? Early game pop growth is slow, but once the 50% new colony growth reduction is gone on my planets and by the time I've researched the robot-building tech I'm at a point (assisted by use of the "encourage planetary growth" decision, healthcare campaign edict and growth buildings) where I'm constantly having to rectify unemployment on my planets. Why would I want to build robots at this point?

Also, slightly related, Earth has 1 unemployment, maxed out districts (with blockers removed), and no building slots. Is my only recourse the "discourage growth" decision?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

What's the point of building robots? Early game pop growth is slow, but once the 50% new colony growth reduction is gone on my planets and by the time I've researched the robot-building tech I'm at a point (assisted by use of the "encourage planetary growth" decision, healthcare campaign edict and growth buildings) where I'm constantly having to rectify unemployment on my planets. Why would I want to build robots at this point?

Also, slightly related, Earth has 1 unemployment, maxed out districts (with blockers removed), and no building slots. Is my only recourse the "discourage growth" decision?

You could replace one building with another one that provides more jobs. (Not a great solution, I know.)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Also forced relocation, but if you're playing as the UN your civics might not allow that. (I think egalitarian might disable it? Or maybe just discourage it? Check your Policy window and see if you can Allow Forced Relocation.)

But yeah, once a planet is "done," discourage growth and then moving any new pops/taking the unemployment hit and letting growth weights sort it out are your options. Maybe turn all the districts into city districts and start an arcology project?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Because you get more pops faster, and pop is king. You can afford to let a few pops pile up unemployed before it's a real problem, only checking in every year or so.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I never really have any unemployment-problems. Like, 1-2 unemployed pops per empire max. I'm guessing if I waited to build robots deep into the endgame it would be different, but instead I kind of have the opposite problem, so quite often the robot factory is the very first building for new colonies to get them up faster. :shrug:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Because whether you are building robots or not does not affect your population growth - thus you have two channels of 'pop' growth instead of one. If you had to sacrifice pop growth to have robot growth then yeah, nevermind, but your pops will grow at the same rate regardless. If you dont have a robot factory robots wont grow, thus in the long run you have fewer pops working jobs.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

You could go social welfare and turn those unemployed deadbeats into unity (and science with utopian abundance) factories!

If you want to keep the population down being under housed increases emigration pressure. Make sure you only have about as much housing as you want people and throw on reduced growth (which both reduces growth and increases emigration pressure) and people should start fleeing to the colonies in droves.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Aethernet posted:

Because you get more pops faster, and pop is king. You can afford to let a few pops pile up unemployed before it's a real problem, only checking in every year or so.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Because whether you are building robots or not does not affect your population growth - thus you have two channels of 'pop' growth instead of one. If you had to sacrifice pop growth to have robot growth then yeah, nevermind, but your pops will grow at the same rate regardless. If you dont have a robot factory robots wont grow, thus in the long run you have fewer pops working jobs.

Sure, but if I'm getting new human pops almost as fast as I can build districts and buildings, how does the extra pops from robots help?

Do unused robots count towards the unemployment stat then?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
so I haven't played or read the thread since December, any new poo poo come out that will blow my mind?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Sure, but if I'm getting new human pops almost as fast as I can build districts and buildings, how does the extra pops from robots help?

You shouldn't be building new pops nearly as fast as you can create jobs for them. The time it takes to make 1 pop is going to be at most the same as it takes you to build 1 district/building, which provides multiple jobs. You might need to look into advanced buildings if you haven't messed with those before. You'll need to refine some rare mats most likely (or buy off the market), but upgrading those usually opens around 3 jobs.

In general, if you're running out of places to build jobs, you should take some from your neighbors or leverage perks to open new ones (habs/ring world/arcology project).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SniperWoreConverse posted:

so I haven't played or read the thread since December, any new poo poo come out that will blow my mind?
Boy howdy do you need to launch the game and check out the new economy.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Its impossible for organic pops to grow that fast. More pops = good (in the current meta). Building robots effectively gives you more pops that consume fewer resources (energy instead of food, CG, and amenities). You asked, and several people answered. If you do not like the answer or it doesnt suit you that is fine. Use that information for what you will; I'm not going to do anything else to try to convince you that its good if you dont think you need it.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

You really aren't growing that fast, unless you're playing on fast-fastest and building responsively. If it's a mineral problem, get those robots into the mines to build more robots!

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Is there a way to coax psionics out as a tech? i am not finding it any more, even with fanatic spiritualists 100 years in with a maniacal scientist then a curator leading society research. before that, in another game where i eventually went cyborg, it was 50 years with a psionics expert from year 2205 to 2250's. I went cyborg, and didnt see psionics till the 2300s. My high inquisition empire of fanatic warrior priests this game could have gone cyborg or genetics at this point and i havent seen Psi.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Boy howdy do you need to launch the game and check out the new economy.

Its impossible for organic pops to grow that fast. More pops = good (in the current meta). Building robots effectively gives you more pops that consume fewer resources (energy instead of food, CG, and amenities). You asked, and several people answered. If you do not like the answer or it doesnt suit you that is fine. Use that information for what you will; I'm not going to do anything else to try to convince you that its good if you dont think you need it.

Hey, good advice suits me great, which is why I sought it on a thread on here, friend. Nothing about the answers doesn't suit me - I just had a sense of all-over empire growth accumulate over my playing today where it felt like I was constantly building on all my planets because enemployed people were popping up, but it's probably just me being slightly discombobulated by the increasing number of colonised planets I am managing, being generally fatigued and playing the game too much today. I need to start looking into the sector management tool a bit. Robots sound cool and I appreciate you and others explaining the benefits; I just felt worried there wouldn't be enough jobs for the pops and robots combined. I'll have a play with them I think.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 12, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

winterwerefox posted:

Is there a way to coax psionics out as a tech? i am not finding it any more, even with fanatic spiritualists 100 years in with a maniacal scientist then a curator leading society research. before that, in another game where i eventually went cyborg, it was 50 years with a psionics expert from year 2205 to 2250's. I went cyborg, and didnt see psionics till the 2300s. My high inquisition empire of fanatic warrior priests this game could have gone cyborg or genetics at this point and i havent seen Psi.

You're still at the mercy of the RNG for what techs you actually draw. The techs that give more options per draw are helpful here, and don't forget about the +50% chance to rare techs ascension perk. (Psi is a rare tech, unlike Cyborg or Genetics)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

winterwerefox posted:

If you're lucky you get the Hell Dimension version of the Dimensional Portal colony event. Spiritualist empires can pray it closed, which gives them Psionic Theory, and 80% of the research needed to complete it.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

There is a pretty rare anomaly that can give it straight up as well.

In terms of things you can pro-actively do, keep an eye out for racket pops (if you have megacorp), as they're psionic and having psionic pops/leaders improves weighting as well (psionic theory leader is 8x weight compared to manianical 2x).

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Got Rackets in my empire, they tried to settle in one of the nearby hive minds after a party and regretted it. My portal was mirror universe, not hell, so thats out, and i didnt get the Psionic Ocean in my territory. i guess its brute force with 5 tech picks and being patient.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

binge crotching posted:

If you're lucky you get the Hell Dimension version of the Dimensional Portal colony event. Spiritualist empires can pray it closed, which gives them Psionic Theory, and 80% of the research needed to complete it.

drat, I always end up with it as a Materialist empire and just leave it open. Apparently as godless empires if you send Doomguy or whatever in to close the portal, you get a tech that increases Technician output by 10%. I'm gonna start doing that, I usually end up terraforming the planet anyways

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

binge crotching posted:

Oh poo poo, that's the other side of that event? I'm gonna start taking that then.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ZypherIM posted:

In general, if you're running out of places to build jobs, you should take some from your neighbors or leverage perks to open new ones (habs/ring world/arcology project).
I want more terraforming candidates (assigned sensibly), habitats to be fun, ringworlds not to be gated behind RNG, and things like bubble colonies and such so that as the game progresses you unlock more and more places people can live.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Splicer posted:

I want more terraforming candidates (assigned sensibly), habitats to be fun, ringworlds not to be gated behind RNG, and things like bubble colonies and such so that as the game progresses you unlock more and more places people can live.

Putting habs in the tech tree instead of behind an ascension perk (:wtc:) would go a long way to making habitats fun. Like, they are literally suboptimal places for me to stick excess population. Why would I chose a 6-8 district habitat for my ascension perk over a 50x4 district ringworld perk.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Warmachine posted:

Putting habs in the tech tree instead of behind an ascension perk (:wtc:) would go a long way to making habitats fun. Like, they are literally suboptimal places for me to stick excess population. Why would I chose a 6-8 district habitat for my ascension perk over a 50x4 district ringworld perk.

The Habitat might actually be done by the time you win the game, while the Ringworld is a victory lap that doesn't matter anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Habitats should be able to mine surrounding planetoids like they used to