Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Hah, they just removed the "a" from Metallica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Baron La Croix posted:

Diavolo's backstory is sure something huh.
Maybe the most nonsensical thing in all of Jojo's?

There's a bit of a difference between the backstory and most of the other crazy Jojo happenings in that the backstory very intentionally makes little sense and sounds more like a weird rumor or legend that people tell instead of what actually happened, brought about by Diavolo's efforts to erase every trace of his public identity.

Most other nonsensical things in Jojo are just because the actual events simply were that bizarre.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
People are one million percent within their right to hate Diavolo's backstory, it's nonsense

BUT

the way it's phrased as "This is a little story from the past" allows me to read it as almost a Believe It Or Not type rumor and I like that a lot. I know that's a harder sell when we see Doppio's past animated, voiced and scored, but from the guy who seeks to eliminate his entire past and so we have no record or witnesses other than the narrator, along with the narrator's language and use of "We", there's enough suspension of disbelief for me to think it's just a fun story and not cold, hard canon

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I totally forgot Doppio is Diavolo being so explicit.

I get the first reveal of Diavolo when Polnareff seees him mixed up as the first time we know Doppio = Diavolo in my head.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Expect My Mom posted:

People are one million percent within their right to hate Diavolo's backstory, it's nonsense

BUT

the way it's phrased as "This is a little story from the past" allows me to read it as almost a Believe It Or Not type rumor and I like that a lot. I know that's a harder sell when we see Doppio's past animated, voiced and scored, but from the guy who seeks to eliminate his entire past and so we have no record or witnesses other than the narrator, along with the narrator's language and use of "We", there's enough suspension of disbelief for me to think it's just a fun story and not cold, hard canon

Yeah, this is how I took it. The story itself or like the details that don't add up could have even spread from Diavolo himself, such is his dedication to muddying up his past. It's to leave his past behind, like DIO, but it's tonally different because we were there with DIO almost every step of the way. We know why he wants to leave his past behind, but not why Diavolo does. If you think Doppio is the original personality, then Diavolo's probably doing all this to protect Doppio, which is kind of sweet, but then Diavolo is the age he should be at by now while Doppio isn't, unless this is a really extreme case of arrested development, but we just don't know and it gets really frustrating if you're a stickler for Canon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Doppio is the original personality and created Diavolo to spread the gay mafia around the world

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I took it that he was always a split personality and had always used the goody-boy Doppio person to convicingly hide in plain sight whilst he was doing unspeakable anti-christ poo poo in secret.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

hello new avatar

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
did Doppivolo always look like Doppio in the flashbacks or did the anime add that?

I also seem to remember Diavolo killing the fortuneteller and Doppio not knowing about it, but in the anime it I think Diavolo switched back to Doppio for the kill?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tetracube posted:

did Doppivolo always look like Doppio in the flashbacks or did the anime add that?

I also seem to remember Diavolo killing the fortuneteller and Doppio not knowing about it, but in the anime it I think Diavolo switched back to Doppio for the kill?

There is only one picture of him in the flashback in the manga and the anime didn't change his appearance

Hilariously the flashback in the manga is over in three pages and DavidPro managed to expand it to about five minutes which has to be the longest single new addition to the anime so far

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 12, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I've always interpreted the Diavolo/Doppio dichotomy as less split personalities and more two separate souls inhabiting the same body.

Which is the only real way to make sense of why Doppio and Diavolo split during the cavalcade of bullshit during Silver Chariot's big return.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Expect My Mom posted:

BUT

"Not even the audience must know who I really am! :argh:" - Diavolo

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

DIO's win animation from the arcade game but it's King Crimson just crushing the camera.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Just like Diavolo imagines there's a camera always following him and keeps his back to it or covers his face in shadow.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i've always liked how weird diavolo's backstory sounded, like the fact that the dude who wants to live life like no one knows he exists being a confusing existence is fun

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really want doppio to be the original personality, it's so much more interesting that way

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I prefer it being Diavolo as the original, though at this point I'm imagining it's more that he was a different person to begin with and essentially split his soul in two though sheer will. The guy that took a picture of his fling doesn't seem like either one of them.

Also this section of the manga was essentially part 5's version of Yoshikage Kira Wants A Quiet Life, so it was clear to me they were one person from the start.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Seeing it animated made me realize that it's Trish's mom who Baby Boss hangs out with on the beach.

For some reason I remembered it as his mom.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I think the description of the young boy as being "timid and not too bright" definitely implies Doppio as the original, and Diavolo as a broken, ultra-paranoid split.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I think of Doppio as the original because a priest naming this child "Double" makes more sense the naming after the loving devil

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

RubberLuffy posted:

I think the description of the young boy as being "timid and not too bright" definitely implies Doppio as the original, and Diavolo as a broken, ultra-paranoid split.

That makes sense as I can't see Diavolo approaching Trish's mother let alone impregnating her

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 12, 2019

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Is Diavolo his birth name?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I don't know how many of you caught it, but the anime definitely confirms he was two people from birth. When they show baby Doppio/Diavolo, he blinks and his eye changes color.

Though since most of the flashback seems like bullshit made up by him, it might not be the truth.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Dragonwagon posted:

I don't know how many of you caught it, but the anime definitely confirms he was two people from birth. When they show baby Doppio/Diavolo, he blinks and his eye changes color.

Though since most of the flashback seems like bullshit made up by him, it might not be the truth.

:lol: wtf

Night Goat
Oct 24, 2009
I'd say with the whole 'two souls' Chariot Requiem poo poo it's kind of implied that he was split since birth as well.

Unless of course the soul of Diavolo snuck in when he was an adolescent? Do souls work like that?

He definitely had Diavolo in him when he killed his adoptive father (if the story is to be believed) since I can't imagine sweet best boy Doppio doing that at all

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just assumed Diavalo was always there but didn’t become dominant until Doppio snapped one day

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

CJ posted:

Is Diavolo his birth name?

Nobody has ever known about Diavolo, so he prolly named himself.

I choose to see it as they were always split from the day he was born and Doppio is just the cover personality. So great is Diavolo's need to hide himself that he literally exists in a state of repressed nonexistance, which he can apparently shift in and out of at will.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I feel bad for Doppio. Whatever his deal was, he seemed to be a genuine good dude who just had the incredible bad luck of being mentally tied at the hip to a super-powered psychopath and if things had gone different he probably could have lived a normal life. I guess its a mercy that he didn't get dragged along for the ride on the infinitely resetting pain-train at the end but still.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pootybutt posted:

Nobody has ever known about Diavolo, so he prolly named himself.

I choose to see it as they were always split from the day he was born and Doppio is just the cover personality. So great is Diavolo's need to hide himself that he literally exists in a state of repressed nonexistance, which he can apparently shift in and out of at will.

Makes sense the person who took care of him was a priest so he probably told some story about the devil and Diavolo was like "this is who I want to become."

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
My headcanon is that King Crimson is a sentient stand that came to overpower and possess Doppio as it first naturally manifested in his teen years. He was able to gain the Epitaph ability after discovering the arrows in Egypt.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Having King Crimson as a stand, but not Epitaph, would bei kinda hilarious.

King Crimson! With the incredible power to give you and everyone around you blackouts!

"Wtf happened. Where am I. Why am I holding a banana"
"Dunno, but you didn't get hurt during it"
"KING CRIMSON HAS NO WEAKNESSES"

I mean, it's still one hell of a punchman stand, but the idea of a permanently confused stand owner is funny

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

Having King Crimson as a stand, but not Epitaph, would bei kinda hilarious.

King Crimson! With the incredible power to give you and everyone around you blackouts!

"Wtf happened. Where am I. Why am I holding a banana"
"Dunno, but you didn't get hurt during it"
"KING CRIMSON HAS NO WEAKNESSES"

I mean, it's still one hell of a punchman stand, but the idea of a permanently confused stand owner is funny

*surrounded by mafia assassins in my room*

i'll be able to get out of this situation easily, KING CRIMSON!

*scene cut to me hiding under a bed with the mafia all pointing guns at me*

you loving suck timeskip-me

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You can't be hurt if you keep skipping time. Emperor Crimson has no weaknesses!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ChaseSP posted:

just skip forward until they run out of ammo

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

just skip forward until they run out of ammo

"Ha! I'll continuously 'erase' that 'time' where your bullets would hit me!! KING CRIMSON HAS NO WEAKNE-"
-skips ahead to me in hospital fourty years later, diagnosed with terminal cancer, in my death throes-
"Turns out my stand operates on Adam Sandler rules"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Diavolo also appears to have some control over Doppio's memory, and emotions. He went from knowing about Risotto and his goals, to having no idea, then enraged when the jig was up.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I think Doppio is just kinda of an idiot, or atleast outright has a terrible memory. I doubt Diavolo would remove memories of looking for Risotto given how even he is cautious of him due to not knowing any of his abilities.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ChaseSP posted:

Doesn’t King Crimson have a limit on how often he can use the timeskip? Fortunately King Crimson is also a ridiculously strong close range stand so that’s not really an issue.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChaseSP posted:

I think Doppio is just kinda of an idiot, or atleast outright has a terrible memory. I doubt Diavolo would remove memories of looking for Risotto given how even he is cautious of him due to not knowing any of his abilities.

It appeared to be deliberate, so Doppio would not give himself away to Risotto. He even said who is that when he saw Risotto, despite earlier having recognized him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RatHat posted:

Doesn’t King Crimson have a limit on how often he can use the timeskip? Fortunately King Crimson is also a ridiculously strong close range stand so that’s not really an issue.

i don't think it's ever directly said, it's just assumed that it's tiring kind of like how stopping time was/is and how that was where dio would have had a leg up since he had supernatural stamina