Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Ziddar posted:

That's not right. The in-game appraisal tells you the overall total, which stat(s) is the highest, and how high that stat(s) is. For Mystic, Blanche saying the stat "exceeds my calculations" is always a 15. 14 is just "impressive."

Edit: Here's the exact ranges: https://pokemongohub.net/pokemon-go-appraisal-chart/

Well I'll be damned. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Can someone please tell an idiot like me what time Community Day would be in Indiana? I’m not good with time zones.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Robokomodo posted:

Can someone please tell an idiot like me what time Community Day would be in Indiana? I’m not good with time zones.

3-6.

Once it's done drive over to Illinois and get another hour on it since it's 3-6 there too.

Being not good at time zones in Indiana must be difficult. I drive south through that state and switch back and forth 3 times.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Getting super hype for Salamence Community Day! :woop:

Looks like ‘mence with Outrage is expected to be the second best Dragon attacker only behind Rayquaza. Hell of a lot easier to max out a team of Community Day Salamences than a bunch of Rayquazas.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
If you already have Dragonite, Salamence isn't really that much better (very marginal DPS advantage, very marginal TDO disadvantage). On the other hand, Salamence is way cooler than Dragonite.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This is also going to be the perfect day to finally get that gold Dragon medal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kantesu posted:

If you already have Dragonite, Salamence isn't really that much better (very marginal DPS advantage, very marginal TDO disadvantage). On the other hand, Salamence is way cooler than Dragonite.

:wrong:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Yeah, Salamence is like Dragonite's teen kid trying to be tough and edgy, NOT like his parents

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol, the first really useful community day in awhile is coinciding with a huge party weekend notorious for people being outside, drunk, and wild all over town

it's gonna be fuckin wild, definitely taking the bus in lol

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tons of rain scheduled here for CD and I'm running solo with my 1.5year old this weekend so I'm just hoping I can snag enough for one mence boi.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!
80496, AnonymousDonor9, Fcol01, gtjustint, Jobenias, MadFriar Avelyn, Shinjobi, SlightlyAbsurd, SuperKlaus, UrsineAsylum, and zenvulgarity I will be popping a lucky egg for the first 30 mins of CD and opening your gifts at 3pm PST tomorrow.

PK fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 13, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
My old phone simply did not want to play Pokemon Go anymore after Christmas, and I finally replaced it last week. Hyped for my first community day in forever to be the dragon boi.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

13 minutes into community day and the father of someone in my raid group has already caught 4 shiny Bagon.

Random my rear end.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Community Day has been extended an hour in APAC again, because the servers violently poo poo the bed about an hour in, again.

I managed 5 low IV shiny from 89 catches in two and a half laggy hours, best IV I got was an 84

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 13, 2019

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I love being on the west coast, we're literally the last people for these daily events so all the bed-making GBS threads is usually dealt with by the time it wraps around to us

I actually thought there was an issue with my internet connection but yeah I guess niantic being niantic also explains things

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

its just over here in melbourne, caught 396, best IV was a 91, 16 were shiny. first two hours went swell, even started using that quick catch method but the last hour it took five seconds to enter the catching phase once you clicked on the mon so i betcha I couldve gotten more if it didnt lag so badly

also wish i caught at least a 96 but oh well theres always a chance at the end of the year

e: actually they started spawning again what the heck

Smiles fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 13, 2019

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I wish I had thought to pick up some raid bagons earlier, I haven't had a community day yet where anything I caught during was better than something I caught outside of it IV- or level-wise

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Thank gently caress for the extension in Australia, I got no shinies with about 100 caught in the first three hours, then one about 6:15. Got the Dex entry at least

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I managed to get 3 shinies in a row somehow which was amazing because the person I was with had been jokingly bragging about having 4 and me not having any yet :smug:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/NianticHelp/status/1116995052935364608

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the help folks. Now gotta hit an excellent curveball...which will be fun. Barely manage nice curveballs.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Wailmer, Tauros, and Ponyta are some of the easiest to Excellent.

Giratina isn't too bad if you raid with anyone.

A lot of the weekly research reward ones are pretty easy to Excellent too.

Alternatively, just keep throwing curves and eventually you'll get lucky. Practice makes perfect.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
I’ve had pretty good results getting excellent curves on Smeargle, and at least you’re guaranteed to get see one every day to practice.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

PK posted:

80496, AnonymousDonor9, Fcol01, gtjustint, Jobenias, MadFriar Avelyn, Shinjobi, SlightlyAbsurd, SuperKlaus, UrsineAsylum, and zenvulgarity I will be popping a lucky egg for the first 30 mins of CD and opening your gifts at 3pm PST tomorrow.

You must be Indigoh or The Cariad? Thanks for the heads up, though I'm not deeply invested in my XP.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Spent a bit more than an hour and half outside. Before the event started I didn't even have the most basic dragon badge, now I'm close to the the third one. On the other hand, only found the one shiny and it's pretty bad IV-wise.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Had a pretty decent CDay, got like 4 lvl 30 Salamence and 6 shinies out of it. Sadly no 100IVs, best I got was a 93% guy and he required some leveling up as well.

Which actually brings me to something I am wondering about, since I can be a bit of a stats sperg at times: I know IVs add points to the stats of a Pokemon, but how exactly does it work? I assume it does not just add the IV number straight to the stat, at least judging by the minimal HP difference between my guys. Tried some googling but anything I found were just basic info on what IVs are, no actual numbers or formulas or something.

(And no, this has nothing to do with a guy in my local group saying that lvl does not matter, only IV does when I mentioned there that my high-lvl duders are gonna kick some Giratina rear end in the future :v: )

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
https://pokemon.gameinfo.io/en/tools/cp-calculator

Play with this thing. Lets you adjust level and IVs, and shows you the exact stats/CP for the pokemon you pick at that level/IVs.

This might also be interesting: https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/guide-breakpoints

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Kantesu posted:

https://pokemon.gameinfo.io/en/tools/cp-calculator

Play with this thing. Lets you adjust level and IVs, and shows you the exact stats/CP for the pokemon you pick at that level/IVs.

This might also be interesting: https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/guide-breakpoints

Ah, I see. Thank you, was basically looking for something like this.

Messing around with the stats stuff, it does seem like after a certain level that the stats get less increases per boost. Seems like around lvl 30ish is where it goes from 2-3 attack to around 1 each. And the breakpoint guide confirms that there is not too much reason to level a pokemon up all the way it seems, which is good to know since I have kinda been putting a lot of stardust into my gyarados. Oops :v:

Also, seems like while IVs are not 1-1 to stat boosts it is pretty close to it at the higher levels. And there is sort of a curve on how it applies the IV points based on level, but it seems to only really matter in the early levels.

So, overall the impression I get is that IVs can help get a Pokemon up to the point quicker, where it is considered to be as good as it can be DPS wise, but it's still gonna need a decent level to be actually useful

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I had a 98% shelgon that I evolved after the event, plus a couple >82% IV ones I caught during the event. None of my shinies were especially good. But Calcy IV replaced my dragonites with the new salamances in my giratina team

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Are these percentages just, like, percentage of perfect or something?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Aaaaannnnnndd I'm out of stardust.

Perfect Salamence though, that's pretty neat.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Went hunting for a shiny bagon between packing up to move

Found this guy

When uncw hunts for shinies they hunt for mother loving shinies. I went home with 5 shiny bagon. That's as many as five ones and that's terrific.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Had a pretty good CD, went from having my Pokédex bagon emtry say ‘14 caught’ to ‘341 caught’ and got 13 shinies. Got a bagon with 14-15-15 IVs and three others >90% so successful day all round.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Hobojim posted:

Are these percentages just, like, percentage of perfect or something?
Yeah. IVs range from 0-15, percentages are just (sum of IVs) / 45. 80% could be 10/11/15, 12/12/12, etc.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Went to an ex raid the other day and two people had the game freeze and we lost with only a little health left. Like wtf

Hopefully this CD goes smooth. I’ve had to loiter after my guitar for over an hour to do it instead of doing it right after like before

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Yeah. IVs range from 0-15, percentages are just (sum of IVs) / 45. 80% could be 10/11/15, 12/12/12, etc.

Thanks!

I caught about 60 Bagon, one of them shiny. I kept six of them (including the shiny one) based on how good the appraisal was. Is there an order I should upgrade them? Like, is it important whether I power them up before or after evolution, or does it work out the same?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I had a good day today. Caught 5 shiny, 4 of them in the last hour. I had already evolved a crappy CP one thinking it was my only shot but luckily had enough candy to make a better one and 2 regular Salamence. Also got 2 Giratina (had zero because I never get to do raids) so overall worth the time out of my hermit cave.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
What's the optimal moveset for a salamence

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I call this Community Day a rousing success! I threw Pinap Berries at every dang dragon I saw. I wound up with:

5 shinies. Two evolved, one to swap with a friend if/when we hit Lucky Friend status
1 Lucky Bagon who got turned into a Salamence
2 other high CP 'mences with good stats all around for a total of 5 'mences.

And got the gold Dragon medal, finally!

Oh and we did a Giratina Raid and my husband caught his first Giratina ever! I have some to trade him with (hopefully) Lucky Friend status. Hasn't happened yet. Now he has one to force to be Lucky for me too!

All in all, a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What's the optimal moveset for a salamence

As of CD today, Dragon Tail/Outrage. If you missed the CD window, probably replace Outrage with Draco Meteor.