Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I can in no way see how that might provoke some serious questions about the direction and quality of oversight for the rest of the line. Not one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The term "hater" is not generally applied to people who have legitimate reasons to think something is bad.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
the V5 rulebook has rules for loving with and without protection right? I didn't make that part up it's actually in the book, even post-Appendix III, right?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
First pass on the finalized c. 2000 population ratios is done, finally, now that the KJ stuff is integrated. They range from 1:1 to 1:144,522,000 (the loneliest vampire of all lives in Pakistan). Next stage is calculating broader areas - state totals, national, large cities with multiple suburbs - for instance, Alabama has a ratio of 1 supernatural for every 101,070 mundane humans while BC has 1:8300. This is what it's all been for. Other ratios that can now be considered - Vampire to Werewolf, etc. Ex: Denver, Colorado has 22 known vampires to every Garou and Fera, but there are 10 fera to every known vampire in Moscow - most of them Bone Gnawers. You don't gently caress with the Bone Gnawers. The lowest vampire only pop ratio is 26:1 in Shoshone, California.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ElNarez posted:

the V5 rulebook has rules for loving with and without protection right? I didn't make that part up it's actually in the book, even post-Appendix III, right?

Someone told me that the section taking about using protection was actually using an extended tortured metaphor for feeding that looked really loving gross when you picked out one particular paragraph.

But that's just what I was told, haven't had the time or inclination to read it all myself

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
So I’m a bit ignorant on the whole issue with the Anarch and Camarilla V5 books. I know about the garbage that had to be removed but are the books available now no longer supported and only exist for collectors and in the future new books will take their place? I’m a little unclear on that

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
They got pulled from sale and only those who had preordered or been uh

lucky

enough to get them before that will ever have copies (piracy aside for pdfs but)

"collectors" may not be the right term either, depending on how generous one feels about that.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I’m a bit ignorant on the whole issue with the Anarch and Camarilla V5 books. I know about the garbage that had to be removed but are the books available now no longer supported and only exist for collectors and in the future new books will take their place? I’m a little unclear on that

The current situation appears to be that even the people making the books are unclear on this, as detailed up a couple posts? Paradox, who own the property, want to bury them in the memory hole, but they hired Modiphius to shepherd the writing and development of the line and Modiphius wants to remove the (especially?) garbage parts and retain the rest so they don't have to make replacements, and it doesn't sound like this conflict has yet been resolved.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

I Am Just a Box posted:

The current situation appears to be that even the people making the books are unclear on this, as detailed up a couple posts? Paradox, who own the property, want to bury them in the memory hole, but they hired Modiphius to shepherd the writing and development of the line and Modiphius wants to remove the (especially?) garbage parts and retain the rest so they don't have to make replacements, and it doesn't sound like this conflict has yet been resolved.

The latest on this, from the Modiphius press release from last December, says "The White Wolf brand team have completed re-editing the Anarch and Camarilla supplements to go to production early January, with pre-orders shipping in late January for web orders and early March for retail."

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. They’re for sale in my local games shop. As far as I know, the only physical copies that exist are the edited ones.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Los Angeles, where there's 23,500 mortals for every weirdo and 22 vampires to every werewolf and the single largest concentration of Demons anywhere in the known world! That ratio drops as low as 1:2500 out in Laurel Canyon. For the US as a whole, the ratio is 1:31,800 and for California, 1:24,000 with almost all of them in either the Bay Area or Greater LA. Hong Kong, meanwhile, sits at 1:16,900 and has the highest mage population of the entire world. China as a whole however sits at a very low 1:2,000,000 - but this is because many (approximately 19,000 of the 20,000 extant) of the Kuei-jin have no known location. If we assume, tentatively, that those without a known location are in China it spikes to 1:68,000.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Loomer posted:

One more book and the final pass on Kindred of the East is done, which means all the available demographic information for non-spiritual entities (other than a few novels) has been finalized. Finally, it draws to the close.

Just why should I be excited about a game where Asian people have different souls from westerners, and Vampires aren't Vampires simply because they are Asian coming back from the dead?

Kindred is racist bullshit and it should stay DEAD, it's on the same level as Gypsies. Let it die.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TheNamedSavior posted:

Just why should I be excited about a game where Asian people have different souls from westerners, and Vampires aren't Vampires simply because they are Asian coming back from the dead?

Kindred is racist bullshit and it should stay DEAD, it's on the same level as Gypsies. Let it die.

Loomer's talking about The Project. Trust me, The Project is fine.

e: I mean, we'll probably all die when he completes it as the end of his years-long mystical ritual, but it's fine

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The Project contains alike the just and the unjust, both in-character and on the level of the books themselves.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

TheNamedSavior posted:

Yes, it's an awful game, though I think you have me confused for someone else as I'm fairly vocally not a fan at all, from the obnoxious font and page backgrounds to the general pervading Exotic Asian Otherness and Orientalist nonsense that fills those pages. That's why, of all the lines proper, it wound up being last on the list for the fine-toothed comb pass to gather causes of death and clarify ambiguous notes I made during the initial recording and cleanup passes. If I wasn't trying to get a snapshot of the entire published body of works - even, repugnantly, Gypsies - I'd have happily left them to gather dust on the shelves of the various ebayers and second hand retailers I got cheap copies from.

My excitement has nothing at all to do with Kindred of the East, as you may have now gathered, but rather the impending completion of a project I've been working on off and on for the last eight years or so.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Loomer posted:

First pass on the finalized c. 2000 population ratios is done, finally, now that the KJ stuff is integrated. They range from 1:1
Where is there an even mix of supernaturals and mundanes?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Zereth posted:

Where is there an even mix of supernaturals and mundanes?

The Po Lin Monastery in Hong Kong and Spuzzum BC.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheNamedSavior posted:

Just why should I be excited about a game where Asian people have different souls from westerners,

They don't, they work on the same framework as Wraith.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There is probably room to critique how Wraith said that wraiths from very different cultural backgrounds might develop somewhat different divides between "good" and "bad" sides compared to the Western "psyche/shadow" but my impression was that those were generally well researched for the 90s and ultimately boiled down to "same idea, expressed differently."

e: which is orthogonal to KOTE which were in fact orientalist as gently caress

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They are just Risen. The end. "But why can they do weird spirit crap my Risen can't?".

Who said your Risen couldn't?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mulva posted:

They are just Risen. The end. "But why can they do weird spirit crap my Risen can't?".

Who said your Risen couldn't?

The cat with depression refuses to believe in his ability to learn shintais

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nessus posted:

The cat with depression refuses to believe in his ability to learn shintais
I think the fact that Ray unknowingly sold his soul to gain his musical prowess muddles the metaphor here.

Or maybe it doesn't, I'm not very familiar with Not Actually Related To Vampires At All of the East.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zereth posted:

I think the fact that Ray unknowingly sold his soul to gain his musical prowess muddles the metaphor here.

Or maybe it doesn't, I'm not very familiar with Not Actually Related To Vampires At All of the East.
Pact of Doom.

Ray keeps waltzing through his Destruction Harrowings.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zereth posted:

They're people who went to Hell and came back as weird Risen/Vampire hybrids, so sort-of?

I like the idea that Risen could learn some of the Wan Kuei bullshit powers. I mean, they can already learn the equivalent of Kindred Disciplines.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Old Boot posted:

they shot themselves in the foot so often that there was no foot left to shoot.

Old Boot posted:

Meanwhile, said theme tripped all over its own two feet, ate its own two feet, then tried to keep walking.

this is from a while back but i just want to say i appreciate that the person whos name is old boot uses a lot of foot metaphors

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So my Mage cabal PCs are running a youth centre and are trying to thread the needle between 'Guardian Labyrinth that discourages bad eggs' and 'Silver Ladder cryptopoly that enlightens and guides towards Awakening'.

And last session they dealt with a Revenant preying near where one of their teens lives, who had the weird 'Hollow Mekhet' living reflection thing going on.

And in trying to tie things together thematically I think it makes perfect sense that the reason there would be a 'hollow Revenant' is that someone - a Tremere cabal - is experimenting with souls in the area! This particular case being "hey what if I soul-punch this guy just as he's dying or getting embraced".

So the concept of this Tremere cabal doing weird soul stuff around town that the PCs are the first ones to pick up on, and the PCs themselves are interested in souls for the purposes of Awakening, seems solid enough to hang a campaign arc on.

Now I just need some suggestions - what other weird soul experiments could be interesting for PCs to investigate?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

bewilderment posted:

Now I just need some suggestions - what other weird soul experiments could be interesting for PCs to investigate?

Someone's been stuffed full of way too many souls and basically the only thing keeping them in is magical scotch tape and prayer. Not quite a hive-souled, just someone who's had like five extra metaphysical livers dumped in them just to see what happens.

Surgical removal of bits of the soul that roughly correspond to the Arcana, to see how that affects their personality.

Bits of the soul removed corresponding with Mummy's pillars, if you want to go way the hell out into left field and bring in an incredibly confused and angry Mummy/cult trying to figure out who the hell stole their Dead Dummy's Guide to the Underworld.

Frankensouls slapped together with all the stolen bits. Maybe they're one relatively complete soul from different donors, maybe they're just like Oops, All Prime! souls.

An Awakened soul put in a non-Awakened body (I actually feel like they addressed what happens with this one once but I forget it)

A minor splat soul (psychics, etc) put in someone else's body. Bonus points if it's a different minor (or major!) splat.

Generally, just think like a shotgun wizard that has "What If I Just Did poo poo Arbitrarily" as their approach to their Obsession, and you'll never run short on ideas for wildly unethical wizard experiments.

E: discussing it with a friend, I just summed the potential here up with "A Mage studying the effects of damaged or unusual souls is like a neuroscientist investigating the functions of the brain by observing brain damage in stroke victims. A low Wisdom Mage is a neuroscientist that's gotten annoyed with relying on random chance to deliver certain kinds of stroke victim, and decided to just go out and make some."

Daeren fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 15, 2019

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Daeren posted:

Bits of the soul removed corresponding with Mummy's pillars, if you want to go way the hell out into left field and bring in an incredibly confused and angry Mummy/cult trying to figure out who the hell stole their Dead Dummy's Guide to the Underworld.

I don't know if you've already seen it but on the OP forums someone actually did a writeup on treating souls in the five-part Mummy style and what you can do with that. The presumption is that really, all subtle arcana can affect some part of the soul; the Death arcanum in the style most familiar to mages just uses the Sheut as the handle.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Get 13 souls, puree them into a slurry, add the slurry to 7 people (so they get oversouled) and leave the other 6 alone.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

They might also call up a Lower Depths thing that does something unpleasant to souls, to vivisect it or let it loose, in the great Tremere tradition of messing with those things. Same with unusual spirits. Or feeding souls to spirits.

Maybe there's a Thyrsus Tremere seeing what happens if you force-feed a spirit souls until it becomes a spirit of pure humanity/the human soul. Or a horrifying monster that should never have been! Either way, useful research.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
If you shove the soul of a Plain Reader into a Wolf Blooded you can get some ridiculous crap going on, depending on their Tell. (Wolf Meat being the most obvious one.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oh, identical twins/triplets, do a soul swap

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

What's a Plain Reader in this context?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
They're from Hurt Locker, they're a minor splat that gets Super Pacifism Powers where as long as they don't strike back, people get increasingly debilitating penalties for hurting them.

Combine that with the Wolf's Meat Tell which gives werewolf regeneration to a Wolf Blooded, and they might actually survive the beatings that the minor splat is intended to take.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Trying to cure a vampire or make a Promethean human by trying to stuff them with a soul. Or maybe several ones in hope one's going to stick.

Making a soul poisonous to Tremere while still harmless for the original soul. Like priming it to self-destruct if it's outside the original owner.

Trying to find the process to purge the Abyssal taint from a Sleeper soul.

Hey, to get Awakened you need to pass through the Abyss, right? So what if we make, like, a cannon that shoots Sleeper souls into the Abyss in the general direction of the Supernal World? Surely at least some would Awaken?

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Someone told me that the section taking about using protection was actually using an extended tortured metaphor for feeding that looked really loving gross when you picked out one particular paragraph.

But that's just what I was told, haven't had the time or inclination to read it all myself

Kurieg is correct.

The section in question is comparing how Vampires are intimate with each other through blood play - because it is a dangerous thing to do that can lead to being blood bonded etc.

However, the way it is written means that they compare certain vampire acts of blood play to unprotected sex, and so there are rules for how vampires can use blood play to dupe their partner (another vampire) into being blood bonded.

Honestly the metaphor didn't need to be made, especially using the term 'rain coat' as they do in the book. It is pretty obvious what vampire blood play represents.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Gantolandon posted:

Hey, to get Awakened you need to pass through the Abyss, right? So what if we make, like, a cannon that shoots Sleeper souls into the Abyss in the general direction of the Supernal World? Surely at least some would Awaken?

This will end exceedingly poorly and betrays a fatal lack of understanding of the deepet metaphysics of an Awakening.

In other words, it's perfect. Shine on, you crazy Reaping diamond.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Wasn't that the Deathless' big plan in Soul Cage? Or it was to Supernal Stygia?

nofather fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 15, 2019

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Gantolandon posted:

This is beautiful. Fund it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
It's me, the Carnie Libertine with a human cannonball praxis.