Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'd say Fuji with non-'pro' zooms and f2 primes is noticeably smaller than a typical Nikon APS-C setup, but the size savings pretty much goes out the window if you go with the f2.8 zooms and f1.4 primes (though the bodies are still noticeably slimmer in either case).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I feel like I eventually want an X-Pro or something similar but I bet that small body is awkward with even the bigger primes let alone the zoom lenses.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
https://www.reddit.com/r/bmpcc/comments/b8x1yn/is_it_possible_to_use_fuji_xlensesapsc_on_bmpcc4k/?ref=readnext

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, it looks like there's not gonna be any easy way for me to rig up the Pocket 4K with Fuji lenses so that's a shame but at the same time, the range of M43 lenses are so prevalent I'll just pick up some vintage glass instead as most of what I want to use that camera for will be cinematic looking stuff. It's a bit of a financial whack for me too as I got the XT3 in no small part due to thinking that my BMPCC4K would simply not be available until mid-summer so I had to cough up the rest of my pre-order money.

Having said that, as someone who's investing into gear for passion projects and short form promotional content as a one man band, having arguably two of the hottest cameras out there at the moment PLUS Resolve makes me a very happy bunny, albeit a broke one.

I also quickly have to say that the XT3 + 16mm f/1.4 is just heavenly and I haven't enjoyed taking photos this much in ages.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I’m invested in the Fuji system to the tune of five lenses and an X-H1 (plus grip). How dumb would it be to also get an X-Pro2? Asking, because I can get a new one for £800, which is less than even most eBay used deals.

I know it’s the same sensor, but I like the X-Pro form factor for less discreet photos in public - something I forgot to consider when I traded up from an X100T.

I am also aware it’s likely to be replaced soon and thus the attractive pricing. Just on the fence about having two of the “same” camera.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The X-Pro 3 is probably coming out this year but when it does eventually come out it won’t cost anything near 800 pounds so that seems like a good opportunity. It’s weird how the rangefinder layout is so much less noticeable even when many small SLR-looking bodies are the same size or smaller.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hello Spaceman posted:

I’m invested in the Fuji system to the tune of five lenses and an X-H1 (plus grip). How dumb would it be to also get an X-Pro2? Asking, because I can get a new one for £800, which is less than even most eBay used deals.

That sounds like an incredible deal, and if you like the body and form factor, sounds like an excellent price for a second body.

(how do you like the X-H1 too?)

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

harperdc posted:

That sounds like an incredible deal, and if you like the body and form factor, sounds like an excellent price for a second body.

(how do you like the X-H1 too?)

The hilarious part is that it's at an airport duty-free shop. They have a display model for even less (£600) but I'm not even touching that with somebody else's monopod. Grimy body that's been manhandled and left with the sensor exposed to the elements? No thanks. I pointed out that it's gonna need a full service and they said "It includes a full year warranty!".

Will sleep on it until I fly back through Heathrow and see if man maths gets the better of me.

X-H1 is great. With a grip and extra batteries it's super fast and the IBIS has given me handheld shots I really should not have been able to get. It's hefty and handles like a gripped SLR, without ALL that bulk. But it's also not quite what you want in a travel camera.

Hello Spaceman fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 8, 2019

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Hello Spaceman posted:

The hilarious part is that it's at an airport duty-free shop. They have a display model for even less (£600) but I'm not even touching that with somebody else's monopod. Grimy body that's been manhandled and left with the sensor exposed to the elements? No thanks. I pointed out that it's gonna need a full service and they said "It includes a full year warranty!".

Will sleep on it until I fly back through Heathrow and see if man maths gets the better of me.

X-H1 is great. With a grip and extra batteries it's super fast and the IBIS has given me handheld shots I really should not have been able to get. It's hefty and handles like a gripped SLR, without ALL that bulk. But it's also not quite what you want in a travel camera.

Apparently - you’ll need to check T&Cs - if you buy something at an airport Curry’s for duty free prices you can return it to a high street Curry’s shop, it doesn’t have to go back to the airport. That way if there’s a bargain you can pick it up and if you have buyer’s remorse you have like 21 days to change your mind.

Someone at my workplace who is into the latest tech just buys new iPads and such cheap at the airport on business trips, and then if she doesn’t like them she returns them later to her local shop.

This site gives the T&Cs for Dixon’s at Gatwick but I imagine it’s all the same https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/shopping-eating/shops/dixons/

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Lady Gaza posted:

Apparently - you’ll need to check T&Cs - if you buy something at an airport Curry’s for duty free prices you can return it to a high street Curry’s shop, it doesn’t have to go back to the airport. That way if there’s a bargain you can pick it up and if you have buyer’s remorse you have like 21 days to change your mind.

Someone at my workplace who is into the latest tech just buys new iPads and such cheap at the airport on business trips, and then if she doesn’t like them she returns them later to her local shop.

This site gives the T&Cs for Dixon’s at Gatwick but I imagine it’s all the same https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/shopping-eating/shops/dixons/

Interesting, thanks. This at the Dixons at Heathrow, and since I live in Ireland flying there again isn’t a pain (or expensive). I’ll check.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dixon's at Heathrow is probably the cheapest place to buy camera equipment (that isn't completely dodgy grey market) in the UK.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hello Spaceman posted:

They have a display model for even less (£600) but I'm not even touching that with somebody else's monopod.

:stare:

Hello Spaceman posted:

Awesome. If in the future I decide I want to stick with Fuji gear and get rid of my Canon EF stuff, I may look at the X-H1/inevitable X-H2 to be the “going out to shoot sports/motor sports” body, and keep getting light bodies for everyday use. And that will only get more tempting as prices drop.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

So the new panasonic s1R whatever can do a pixel shift of 187mp. I hope sony gives us an option to do that on the a7riii instead of just more colour depth

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So who’s been shooting with the X-T30?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Dangerllama posted:

im taking mine to the iris show this weekend at the la arboretum

and then ill be taking it to kawaii in 3 weeks

ill only have the 35 f/2 for this weekend but i plan on renting both the 18 and 10-24 for hawaii

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

For anything ecotourism related, I highly recommend bringing a telephoto.

KilroyWasHere
Oct 22, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

I have one. It's everything I wanted in a travel camera, except I wear glasses and I really wish it had a least a little eyecup for the EVF.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I spent 2 months in New Zealand with only the 10-24 and 23 f2 and never used the 23 at all. I've never used a telephoto traveling but maybe I should start!

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

I do full frame 12-24 f/4 or a 16-35 2.8 on one shoulder and another ff with 100-400 on the other shoulder :getin:

Who needs mediocracy.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I had the X-T30 for a week and brought it back for an X-T3. The X-T30 does do everything the big brother does as far as snapping shots, but I much preferred the locking dials, grip, EVF, and flippy screen of the X-T3. Worth the upgrade price for myself, especially since I traded up to a used X-T3 and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg more.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
I'm bringing those two because i want to see how "bad" the 18 is since it gets some of the lower reviews out of the lineup and the 10-24 is to see how much carrying it around would suck as the 16-80 coming out later would be a perfect for backpacking and better for travel than the 18-135 imo

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Dangerllama posted:

I have. I made a long-overdue upgrade from a Nikon D70 (!)

Loving it so far. My main complaint is that I wish they'd disable the viewfinder sensor when the LCD screen is tilted. I think I read that this is also an issue on the X-T3, but I hope that they can fix it in firmware. But maybe there isn't a way for the camera to know that it's tilted? Who knows.

Another common complaint seems to revolve around the Q button and its positioning. Mostly this isn't an issue but I do hit it accidentally sometimes. Maybe more often than I intentionally hit it, but that's mostly because I shoot raw and don't need access to the sort of custom settings that it provides. But I can see its utility.

I got the 15-45mm kit lens with it. The power zoom is a pain to use, and is by far the worst part about this lens. Second worst is the start-up time as the lens extends. But I love the small size, OIS, and the image quality is really great. I've been using it kind of like a wide prime and it's great in that role. Makes me wonder if I wouldn't prefer the 16/2.8, though.

I also got the 50/2 with the camera. Great lens, and at like $150 with the bundle deal it was a no-brainer. I'm still glad I went with it over the 23/2 or 35/2.

I received a couple of other second-hand lenses today: the 10-24/4 and 90/2. Haven't had much of a chance to play with them but the 90mm is impressive. As for the 10-24 I'll have to see how much I like that ultra-wide angle focal length, because otherwise the 15-45 or the 16/2.8 seems like the better choice.

I just dumped a few photos in the LETPD thread.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Easychair Bootson posted:

I just dumped a few photos in the LETPD thread.

I really dig that shot of the pair of couples eating in the restaurant.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

I have. I made a long-overdue upgrade from a Nikon D70 (!)

Loving it so far. My main complaint is that I wish they'd disable the viewfinder sensor when the LCD screen is tilted. I think I read that this is also an issue on the X-T3, but I hope that they can fix it in firmware. But maybe there isn't a way for the camera to know that it's tilted? Who knows.

I see the X-T30 has a View Mode button, just like the X-H1. This lets you cycle through the following modes:
EVF only, with eye sensor activation
EVF only, always on
LCD, with EVF eye sensor activation
LCD only (EVF and eye sensor disabled)

I know it’s not automatic, but should address what you’re describing. I find that I don’t mind manually switching view modes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hello Spaceman posted:

I see the X-T30 has a View Mode button, just like the X-H1. This lets you cycle through the following modes:
EVF only, with eye sensor activation
EVF only, always on
LCD, with EVF eye sensor activation
LCD only (EVF and eye sensor disabled)

I know it’s not automatic, but should address what you’re describing. I find that I don’t mind manually switching view modes.

Looks like the X-T30 has the following setting:

-LCD / EVF depending on eye sensor
-EVF only
-LCD only
-EVF only (sensor activated)
-EVF for shooting, LCD for checking images only

Fujifilm remains a bit wacky with their settings.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

harperdc posted:

Looks like the X-T30 has the following setting:

-LCD / EVF depending on eye sensor
-EVF only
-LCD only
-EVF only (sensor activated)
-EVF for shooting, LCD for checking images only

Fujifilm remains a bit wacky with their settings.

I was going off memory for my X-H1, so that last one could be in there. Or it could be new for the 26mp modes.

Either way, the LCD only mode would solve OP’s problem with the eye sensor, unless I misunderstood v:shobon:v

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Hello Spaceman posted:

Either way, the LCD only mode would solve OP’s problem with the eye sensor, unless I misunderstood v:shobon:v
Sure, I could cycle through the view mode when I want to switch between using the LCD and EVF, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the sensor. And instead of just pressing the button to go between "LCD only" and "EVF only" I have to cycle through several different combinations. I don't see why anyone would want the EVF sensor enabled at all when the screen is tilted, because that's a scenario where you're definitely not using the EVF.

On another note, I'm starting to play around with face and eye detection. Is there a reason why I would want to have face detection enabled but not have eye detection enabled?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You should have both enabled. My X-H1 tends to pick up faces quicker than eyes.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
If you are taking picture for Itagaki you can't use eye detection can't you?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

holocaust bloopers posted:

You should have both enabled. My X-H1 tends to pick up faces quicker than eyes.

I don't believe you can do eye detection without face detection. But when face detection is enabled you have four options: (1) eye off, (2) eye auto, (3) left eye priority, (4) right eye priority. I'm wondering in what scenario would you want "eye off."

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I don't believe you can do eye detection without face detection. But when face detection is enabled you have four options: (1) eye off, (2) eye auto, (3) left eye priority, (4) right eye priority. I'm wondering in what scenario would you want "eye off."

I don't know if I've seen it happen specifically with eye detection, but I've definitely had face detection occasionally hit off random patterns with my X-T2.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
How good are Canon lenes really on a Sony A7 III? I see conflicting talk about this and also differnces in what adaper to use that works best

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

You will have no problem shooting with the 2.8 or brighter lenses and it should feel like you are shooting with native stuff.

The eye focus also works on the metabone iv/v and sigma mc-11.

Only time it struggles is when you shoot with a long lens that has a huge focus range and with something slower than 2.8.

Best part is it focuses better than canon bodies when you shoot at like f1.2 or 1.4 since canon dslr does not have eye focus and even the recent canon mirrorless are just somewhat catching up right now.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
a7rII is supposed to be decent too, right? Thinking about buying one sometime down the road, already snagged the Sigma adapter when a cheap one came up for sale locally. I have an OG A7 which is supposed to be pretty much unusable, no EF glass to test with yet.

I miss a lot of the Canon lenses I used to shoot with, and Sony's prices are pretty out of reach for me as a hobbyist (well, they're not far off the other manufacturers, but there's a much more limited market given how long E-mount has been around relatively speaking)

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Yep the a7rii would work great due to its focusing setup.

Which canon lens are you planning to use? The newer ones supposed to work better too.
Also make sure you update the sigma adapter to the latest firmware for better performance.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oof I just got the repair quote back from Olympus for my wide angle lens that was making a rattling sound and having weird issues with the zoom ring. $423. Apparently a small screw came completely loose inside the lens and that's what was making the sound.

Beats buying a new lens though.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Encrypted posted:

Yep the a7rii would work great due to its focusing setup.

Which canon lens are you planning to use? The newer ones supposed to work better too.
Also make sure you update the sigma adapter to the latest firmware for better performance.

24-70L mk1 for starters, miss that thing!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Long loose hair, glasses, anything else that leaves it hunting as eyes "appear" and "disappear" (especially on pre-X-T3 models).

If you're mostly filling the frame with only one face, you're less likely to run into the situations that make it wig out.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 17, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Encrypted posted:

You will have no problem shooting with the 2.8 or brighter lenses and it should feel like you are shooting with native stuff.

The eye focus also works on the metabone iv/v and sigma mc-11.

Only time it struggles is when you shoot with a long lens that has a huge focus range and with something slower than 2.8.

That's.... potentially problematic. EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L and I have a Sigma Sport 150-600 in the pipeline among the other lenses that will work for sports / motorsport.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

The 24-70 mki should work ok, I got the mkII and it works just as good as the native.

but the 100-400 II struggled a bit the last time I tried a while ago. Since then I've kept it on the native body, but I can give it another try with newer firmware this weekend and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Currently I travel with the Panaleica 15mm 1.7, the Panasonic 42.5mm 1.7, and the Olympus 40-150mm 4-5.6

I'm thinking of upgrading the 40-150, and it seems like the only real answer is the Panaleica 50-200mm 2.8-4

Am I missing anything? The 45-200 gets soft after 150, and the 100-300 is.... Maybe I guess? But then I've got a big gap from 42.5 to 100mm. The 50-200 *might* also let me leave the 42.5 at home, unsure though, as that lens is also a sort of sleeper macro substitute as well.

Thoughts? This is for "general travel and sightseeing"