Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't know I think the child sent into the generator is technically dying while working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Unless you signed the child labor law, it's not technically working, it's just a fun maze!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bogart posted:

Unless you signed the child labor law, it's not technically working, it's just a fun maze!

but it's not like children are forbidden from working, child apprentices are working after all, they're just not treated like adult laborers

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

QuarkJets posted:

but it's not like children are forbidden from working, child apprentices are working after all, they're just not treated like adult laborers

Those children aren't working, they're just interning. Workers get soup. Interns are paid in experience.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"Intern, we need you to fix the generator. Hug your parents goodbye"

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

QuarkJets posted:

"Intern, we need you to fix the generator. Hug your parents goodbye"

"It wouldn't have come to this, Timmy, but you see that switch over there? That's the toggle for the overdrive and your silly Captain forgot to switch it back after I instructed our scouts to leave your little friends from Winterhome to freeze to death in a cave. So I guess what I'm saying is that there are worse ways to go and we'll be sure to use whats left of your organs productively."

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/frostpunkgame/status/1105445103676674048

https://twitter.com/frostpunkgame/status/1111206299868368896

They've been hinting at some new content

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLoGbabTHO8

And they did an investor call where they said there'd be more content: :v: (A paid DLC and then a season pass?) Also, apparently Frostpunk and Moonlighter both did really well for 'em, which I'm glad to hear. It's the rare developer these days that I like and wanna see succeed.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 30, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Those numbers might be lat/long coordinates but if they are they ain't pointing to anything of note - a little off the coast of southern Croatia in the Adriatic.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
They're pointing to Dubrovnik, where there's a video games conference in a week's time. I assume they'll be announcing something then.

They missed the venue by about ten kilometers. Weird, considering they used five decimal places, which gives you a position to the meter. The position they indicate seems to just be a normal looking intersection.

Googling the coordinates, it seems like that's what a lot of sites give as the coordinates of the city, to the same number of decimal places. Probably nothing ARG-ish about it, then.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 2, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Wow I just went down the wiki-rabbit hole trying to figure out why that strip of land belongs to Croatia and has a non-EU border-crossing to get to it. :stare:

Hope it's a paid-expansion (because it has got ~so much content~)! :homebrew:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tehan posted:

They're pointing to Dubrovnik, where there's a video games conference in a week's time. I assume they'll be announcing something then.

They missed the venue by about ten kilometers. Weird, considering they used five decimal places, which gives you a position to the meter. The position they indicate seems to just be a normal looking intersection.

Googling the coordinates, it seems like that's what a lot of sites give as the coordinates of the city, to the same number of decimal places. Probably nothing ARG-ish about it, then.

:v: I must have mis-typed it the first time around because it does indeed put a pin right there in Dubrovnik.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/frostpunkgame/status/1116642207820320768

Not only is it not a new scenario, now the tag on this thread is wrong.

loving console peasants ruin everything, but congrats I guess.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Frostpunk: Console Edition.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Southpaugh posted:

Frostpunk: Console Edition.

I'm glad they'll get to enjoy it, but man I really thought this was more content.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the devs said there will be more content coming too

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
So having played New Home on survival, I'll have to say that the game balance is a bit off. The first 5-10 days are brutal as hell, but getting out of that in one piece and the rest of the scenario is a breeze by comparison.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hah. I see what you did there.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Nosfereefer posted:

So having played New Home on survival, I'll have to say that the game balance is a bit off. The first 5-10 days are brutal as hell, but getting out of that in one piece and the rest of the scenario is a breeze by comparison.

New Home and Endless mode suffer the most from this issue. Once you get things up and churning there's not much they can throw at you which your economy can't absorb. Endless mode gives you the random events, but once you get far enough in you have alternate production methods to deal with any random event.

I think Winterhome is the best (and most challenging) scenario because managing your city's contraction is just as hard as managing the early parts of the scenario, which is also a bit different because of the ruined buildings.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Winter home is best because it’s about making the best of a bad situation. Like, no telling the kids to stop working, and no cemeteries to keep hope loss down. Gotta just power through.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I really like this game but it has some weird frustrating stuff some times. Like the other day I lost a game because my discontent was too high. The reason for that was because I had the overcrowding law signed, and all my sick people were piling into a single medical post even though I had enough posts for them all to fit comfortably. I tried shutting them down and opening them back up but they still kept packing in for no reason.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That definitely wasn't your only source of discontent

I haven't played in a few patches but iirc people decide which medical facility to go to based on bed availability, and they will avoid overcrowding when making that decision. BUT if several people get sick in a short-enough window they can all decide to go to the same uncrowded facility, causing it to become overcrowded (e.g. they have awareness of empty beds, but not awareness of other people traveling to empty beds). This also means that shutting down the facility won't alleviate the issue, because everyone getting kicked out will simultaneously choose the next nearest facility and then overcrowd it, instead.

When I play I just always keep my facilities overcrowded. The discontent hit is pretty small

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh of course it wasn't my only source of discontent, but if people had actually spread out instead of clown-carring into a single tent, I would have been able to get below 75% and avoid the game over.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
to me it sounds like you were probably boned anyway. then entire game theory behind frostpunk is that you anticipate crises and move proactively. when you are reacting, you are losing. you can lose for a while before the fatal mistake that immediately got you the game over, but the die was cast back when you got into the habit of reacting rather than anticipating.

if your discontent was that high you probably had been losing for about a week, and I’m not confident you or anyone else could have turned that around without some very serious luck.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Everything else was fine. I wasn't reacting to anything, other than my workers cramming into a single medical post like idiots and then getting mad about it. That's probably not a thing that should happen!

p.s. I'm not asking for advice, thank you!

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 13, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If your discontent is so high that an overcrowded medical post pushes you into a game over then everything else is not fine

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You're right, and the game overcrowding people for no reason is the problem.

Like yeah, I know I need to plan ahead and not just react to problems. But I shouldn't have to plan for the game managing my people in an extremely stupid way, especially when there's nothing I can do about that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah but the penalty for overcrowded medical is also very small

Like small enough that just turning off overtime in 1 building covers it twice over

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yes. I know. It was still putting me over the 75% threshold and there was literally nothing I could do about it.

I went back and checked my save, I had one post with 7 people in it, one tent with 2 people in it, and one that was completely empty. Seriously why are you defending this? It's stupid regardless of whatever else I was doing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm not defending the bug just pointing out that "everything else was fine" is absolutely not true

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Anyone ever win the main scenario without soup?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No but I think that'd be pretty easy to do, Soup is good but not essential

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

On normal? Sure. The rest? Erm. Let me get back to you on that.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

FAUXTON posted:

Yes! I use sawdust all the time.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I've never used food substitutes and I've beaten all the campaigns on normal and the first one on hard. It just strikes me as gross and we can just get more food in? Moonshine on the other hand...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Southpaugh posted:

I've never used food substitutes and I've beaten all the campaigns on normal and the first one on hard. It just strikes me as gross and we can just get more food in? Moonshine on the other hand...

Don't you have to go through soup to get moonshine? I assume you just enacted the law but didn't toggle it at the kitchens.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

double nine posted:

On normal? Sure. The rest? Erm. Let me get back to you on that.
IIRC, Normal New Home is winnable with 0 laws.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ephemeron posted:

IIRC, Normal New Home is winnable with 0 laws.

But ... fascism!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I bet you could win normal New Home without making a single hothouse or hunter hangar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

FAUXTON posted:

Don't you have to go through soup to get moonshine? I assume you just enacted the law but didn't toggle it at the kitchens.

Yeah never toggled it on, it just doesn't do enough, if people are starting to starve its probably too late, you're at the early stages of a failure cascade.