Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

It isn't even a fire of any kind, analogous or otherwise. It's literally just people saying "Luke Crane is a pretentious blowhard whose magnum opus uses a bunch of weird jargon to describe perfectly bog standard concepts" and if this was said about any other RPG designer or any other game it would barely even be worth arguing about but somehow saying this about Luke Crane is like firing off the starter pistol at a Dumb Takes triathlon.
It's an analogy. "Worse thing does not mean bad thing is not bad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zereth posted:

It's an analogy. "Worse thing does not mean bad thing is not bad".

Right, I'm just saying even in the realm of "person did something dumb and/or bad" that frequently crops up when dealing with RPG designers, nobody's really accusing Crane of anything more onerous than being up his own rear end. It's entirely correct that Luke Crane hasn't, to the best of my knowledge, been a huge sex creep or a con artist or anything, and nobody is treating him like he has either, which makes the regularly scheduled rush to be the one to deliver the spiciest take in his defense so baffling.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I have no doubt we'd all Have Opinions regardless, but I'm pretty sure it's so much of a thing as it is because he didn't just say "sorry man I'm committed to the bit" or even say nothing when he kicked the backer out, but went to his buddies to be all "Heh, I sure showed that idiot."

And he didn't even do it in Wizard Voice.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I've just read this entire thread and now desperately want to refund Strike.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

He doesn't want it to be like that. He doesn't want to be the server who explains the specials and answers any question you may have about the food or its preparation. I think he wants it to be more like a meal in his house where you chip in for the food bill. If you come to a meal in my house and start asking the kinds of questions you would ask at a restaurant with a "customer is always right" attitude, I might reply "hey, maybe you'd prefer to be at a restaurant right now." If you want something he's not selling, then go find someone who is selling what you want.
The problem with this argument is that this is not the kind of relationship I, the potential customer, have with Luke Crane, the guy selling a product. I get irritated when a salesman pretends he's my friend and we have a camaraderie which transcends the mercenary nature of the transaction because he wants my money; if Luke Crane wants to pretend to be my buddy because he thinks I'll excuse his personal behavior that way, he can gently caress right off. Like, the more correct analogy here would be if I went into a restaurant, sat down, and asked my server how spicy the hot wings are, only for the server to bodily hurl me from the premises, high-five the chef, and laugh about how answering questions from a customer is somehow beneath him.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

The whole shade thing reminds me of the telephone exchange name system they used to use. You see them mentioned a lot in old movies. For some reason people felt that Pennsylvania 6-5000 was better than 736-5000. It seems unnecessary to me, but some people must have liked it.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Man I can't believe some people won't accept the fact that some guy is being an rear end in a top hat on purpose as a valid reason as to why the guy isn't an rear end in a top hat.

Dreqqus fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 13, 2019

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

The whole shade thing reminds me of the telephone exchange name system they used to use. You see them mentioned a lot in old movies. For some reason people felt that Pennsylvania 6-5000 was better than 736-5000. It seems unnecessary to me, but some people must have liked it.

Remembering a word and five digits is simpler than remembering seven digits. Manual switchboards were still in use at the time, and "Pennsylvania" is less easy to mishear than "seven three".

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 13, 2019

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017
The odd thing is Burning Wheel includes some excellent tips on roleplaying and GM’ing.

I’ve never played BW, I never got over what I consider some cumbersome rules, but the advice in the book has stayed with me through every campaign I’ve run since reading it. Like ‘Do not introduce any item into the game that you are not ready to see your players get their hands on’.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Comrade Koba posted:

I know gently caress-all about Luke Crane, but this thread has convinced me to imagine him as the secret love child of Gary Gygax and Ed Greenwood, who responds to any questions by swiftly putting on a pointy hat and expounding at length on his intricate knowledge of secrets most arcane. DARE YOU ENTER HIS MAGICAL REALM?

Right. And this impression you have is completely false. Which is why I am frustrated with the bullshit in this thread. It's just a bunch of ridiculous exaggeration.

For instance, comparing politely refunding someone who is dragging you on twitter to bodily hurling someone from a restaurant for asking questions. They were refunded for stirring poo poo on Twitter, not for asking questions.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 13, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Jimbozig posted:

Right. And this impression you have is completely false. Which is why I am frustrated with the bullshit in this thread. It's just a bunch of ridiculous exaggeration.

He literally kicked someone off his kickstarter because they asked if they could get a clear answer rather than mystic ponderings. The impression is accurate.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Look, I've had enough of this stupid argument. If anyone on the fence wants to know more about any of Luke Crane's games, try sending him a message and asking. You can find him on his forums if his email address isn't still floating around. I'm pretty sure he won't be an rear end in a top hat to you. I'm pretty sure he'll be totally chill if he has time to reply.

I could be wrong, but it's not like it'll cost you anything to find out.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
You're not going to get the chance to give the guy a blowjob, man. Quit tripping over yourself to defend him so hard.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
For a more complete disclosure, here's what happened regarding the kickstarter. Specifically, this was the pissy response Crane posted on Kickstarter when questioned about how the delivery was progressing.

quote:

Silence.
All of you.
It is as if you were burning in the lake of fire—while all you do is attend your keyboard.
The truth is simple enough: You will wait; you shall receive your codex. That is all.
Mind your doubts and concerns yourself.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
what a dweeb

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
"Ugh, how dare people ask me if I'm going to deliver my product they gave me money for! Ingrates!"

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I will say this: I thought Luke Crane's wizard persona was very annoying, but I had enough faith in the product that I backed anyway, and I was pretty satisfied with the end result, content-wise. And when there turned out to be errors in the printing process that meant that the ink on the cover was wearing out a bit faster than normal, he sent me (and all other backers who had this problem) a new, corrected copy free of charge - and the correspondence surrounding this issue was all written in plain english. That earned a lot of good will from me, I have to say.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I haven't even read this book I have no horse in this but I figured this part out - it's part of a visual language the book uses repeatedly in multiple contexts and it helps to highlight that with its own term so you know what you're looking at when you see it later. A bit of upfront explanation and terminology means you aren't confused when it's used in an entirely new context later in the book.

That was my initial assumption, too. The numbers will be printed in black, grey, or white and the shade of the number also communicates what tier it's on. Clever design, right?

Except no. He just writes B, W, or G next to a number and it's on you to remember why he's doing that. When you actually encounter shades in the book, they're in charts and 100% unrelated to Shades. It's functionally a subscript 1 or 2, but written in front of the number, and also as a letter that corresponds to a shade.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Piell posted:

For a more complete disclosure, here's what happened regarding the kickstarter. Specifically, this was the pissy response Crane posted on Kickstarter when questioned about how the delivery was progressing.

I participated in this ks as well, and the thing that I remember the most is that instead of posting an update saying "don't forget to respond to your backer surveys or we can't send you a book," he wrote something to the effect of "SIGN THY NAME IN THE BOOK OF BLACK OR NO IMP SHALL DISPATCHÉD TO THY PORTAL BE".

What this led to was like 300 backers all just responding to that update with their names. No idea how many of them wound up not getting their books. Based on a skim of the comments on the KS, it's at least one.
----
EDIT TO ADD

Luke Crane, BWC Kickstarter posted:

The book is closed. No signatures shall it further accept. Were you too late to sign, then bereft you shall be for no imp shall be dispatched to your domicile bearing package precious.

For those who didst enumerate and sign, soon the divine cargo wings its way to you. Patience, I pray.

And for those who buck, bridle and bray: Take care lest I abjure thee. No guarantee was proffered in our exchange. You attend this ritual as a privilege, and at my discretion. To break concentration with your pleating threatens the sanctity of us all.

So silence. Or risk banishment.

This is what he said after the deadline closed. I would mainly like to point out that a "guarantee" absolutely was loving "proffered in our exchange". Viz.:

Kickstarter TOS posted:

By backing or creating a fundraising campaign on Kickstarter, you agree to be bound by this entire Agreement, including the following terms: [...] Project Creators are required to fulfill all rewards of their successful fundraising campaigns or refund any Backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill.

This is at best obtuse and at worst an attempt to bully people into letting themselves get swindled.
------
The guy is a stupid rear end in a top hat, is what it comes down to. It is horrible behavior to create a situation where people miss out on receiving something that they paid for because they can't interpret your lovely riddles.

That said, the game is fine. I didn't experience any difficulty in understanding what the rules were while reading them in context in the book, and I have a pretty short attention span for rulebooks. The big fight/argument resolution mechanics produce kind of an odd play experience. It's okay.

In all, I'm not going to buy a BW book again, but if I could figure out a way to shoplift a copy without hurting an innocent retailer, I would probably get it.

EDIT 2:

Oh, scrolling through the comments on that KS there's some real gold. So, like, Arthur B's comments are still there (just hidden b/c he "cancelled his pledge" (ha) and you have to click through to see them. So here's the sort of inflammatory poo poo Arthur was saying previous to getting his pledge cancelled:

Arthur B posted:

I guess I don't get why you would support the project in the first place if you hate the way it is run and don't care much for the author.

Arthur B posted:

@Zanshi: I think our overlord has made it quite clear that he would rather have 200 backers who enjoy and buy into the particular style this Kickstarter has been conducted in than 2000 who'd only be wooed with plainer language.

Burning Wheel has literally always been a project where the creative vision has been king, and where Luke has been absolutely fine with making decisions that reduce its potential readership if that is what the vision demands. (The lack of PDFs is a case in point.)

I'm with Michael Hansen on this: Luke is going to follow the course he has charted on this, and if that bugs people, they don't need to back him.

How dare he talk about Luke that way, right?

some FUCKING LIAR fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 13, 2019

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

I could be wrong, but it's not like it'll cost you anything to find out.

True enough, reading this very thread made me realize Luke Crane is a shitlord which in turn means I didn't have to buy Whimsical Wizard Adventures Burning Wheel to find that out

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Burning Wheel has some fantastic GMing advice married to a mess of a ruleset.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Is all this why someone mailed me a huge collection of Burning Wheel? Because the writer was a poop man? Good to know. I've got all this stuff. Some sort of Sci-Fi offshoot too.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Hey, there was an Alas Vegas update today too. Apparently it’s being translated and as part of it they’re printing the custom Tarot deck that the game maybe-once-assumes that you have.

I’ve never heard any claim that KS sellers are obliged to extract delivery information at gunpoint in order to fulfill every pledge. That would open a huge venue for trolling if true.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Burning Wheel has some fantastic GMing advice married to a mess of a ruleset.

Knowing that jimbozig idolizes Burning Wheel and it's full of poo poo like that makes the odd inhuman cant of Strike make a lot more sense. It's not written for normal people, it's written for the Luke Crane cult! Now I get it!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

hyphz posted:

Hey, there was an Alas Vegas update today too. Apparently it’s being translated and as part of it they’re printing the custom Tarot deck that the game maybe-once-assumes that you have.

I’ve never heard any claim that KS sellers are obliged to extract delivery information at gunpoint in order to fulfill every pledge. That would open a huge venue for trolling if true.

KS sellers are maybe obliged to say "please remember to update your address so we can ship the book to you" instead of FULGRIMUNOUS FOOTHSOMES TO THE ICON OF HERMES WHICH I BESET YE TO INSCRIBE THE BLESSING OF YOUR MOTHER'S WHIMSY 'PON, LEST YE BE BEREFT IN THE CHOOSING, though. The second one is trying to screw people out of their paid for products, even if that's just a side effect of your "wacky" persona.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Seems like I'm a subhuman for liking to GM that game then. Oh well.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Plutonis posted:

Seems like I'm a subhuman for liking to GM that game then. Oh well.

There's a difference between 'I like this game even though the creator is kind of dick' and 'this guy isn't a dick because I like his game'.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Arivia posted:

Knowing that jimbozig idolizes Burning Wheel and it's full of poo poo like that makes the odd inhuman cant of Strike make a lot more sense. It's not written for normal people, it's written for the Luke Crane cult! Now I get it!

I couldn’t understand anything of Burning Empires, but Strike was very clear.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Dreqqus posted:

There's a difference between 'I like this game even though the creator is kind of dick' and 'this guy isn't a dick because I like his game'.

Yeah and the first one is and has been my position this entire thread. I defended criticism of him several times yesterday. He has at times been kind of a dick. Who in this thread has never been a bit rude or grumpy or kind of a dick? I know I have! I know several of you have just last night in this very thread! So what?

People have come in posting that the impression they get from reading this thread is that he is 100% piss whizzard rear end in a top hat all the time. Other posters have said that impression is accurate. It is not. That's all I wanted people to know. You want proof? Go try to talk to the man like a human being. If he comes at you with incomprehensible wizard speak, I'll admit I was wrong. I have messaged him and he was fine to me, with nary a hint of wizard poo poo. That's my evidence. Go gather your own. Or don't and just keep spouting ignorance on some forums and see what good it does anybody.If you aren't willing to put your assertions to the test, then maybe let's just agree to disagree.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dreqqus posted:

I'm talking about Strike, the game made for abnormal people.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Arivia posted:

Jimbozig's meltdown is pretty dumb but I don't think this is the time for you to litigate your insane hatred for Strike for the billionth time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Deleter posted:

Jimbozig's meltdown is pretty dumb but I don't think this is the time for you to litigate your insane hatred for Strike for the billionth time.

No, I'm being honest. Jimbozig has been pretty open both here and elsewhere about Burning Wheel being an inspiration for his work on Strike. Knowing that crazy wizard man is a big influence goes a long way towards explaining why I didn't like Strike and why the language read so terribly to me.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Kai Tave posted:

It isn't even a fire of any kind, analogous or otherwise. It's literally just people saying "Luke Crane is a pretentious blowhard whose magnum opus uses a bunch of weird jargon to describe perfectly bog standard concepts" and if this was said about any other RPG designer or any other game it would barely even be worth arguing about but somehow saying this about Luke Crane is like firing off the starter pistol at a Dumb Takes triathlon.

I mean, case in point, this whole thing started with some people saying Jenna Moran's writing style was hard to follow and other people saying Fragged Empire's writing style was hard to follow, but those didn't get half the passionate defenses that Luke Crane is getting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
For the record I can see the point of anyone that thinks Ed Greenwood is hard to read and meandering.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Arivia posted:

No, I'm being honest. Jimbozig has been pretty open both here and elsewhere about Burning Wheel being an inspiration for his work on Strike. Knowing that crazy wizard man is a big influence goes a long way towards explaining why I didn't like Strike and why the language read so terribly to me.

Alright, sorry I didn't take your post in good faith. I struggled a little with Strike too but I mostly didn't play it because Panic at the Dojo does what I want better.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Lynx Winters posted:

I mean, case in point, this whole thing started with some people saying Jenna Moran's writing style was hard to follow and other people saying Fragged Empire's writing style was hard to follow, but those didn't get half the passionate defenses that Luke Crane is getting.

Yeah, Moran's work is frequently difficult to follow and I wholeheartedly recommend play guides for it. I do think her writing style is charming, it's just not very useful.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

In other fire-related news, Mike Mearls still hasn't tweeted two months after his lovely Zak S response.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Plutonis posted:

I'm talking about Strike, the game made for abnormal people.

Oh sorry I misunderstood your post. Strike seemed fine.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'll keep this Hot Take Machine going by saying that BW actually has a lot of pretty great basic design principles, like the aforementioned GM advice, that had not at all permeated the industry in the time the game initially came out and it deserves some credit for doing that even if you hate Shade or whatever.

Also physically the book is just very nice. It's attractively bound, well-laid out, the art is mostly good, and the index is actually incredibly well built and robust. When I look at the book, content aside, I see a product I wish more designers would emulate and I literally preordered it on this basis alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Crane is basically a giant bookmaking nerd, yeah. It's an extremely well-made book.