Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Anyone have any advice for Starcrawlers? Is a tank necessary? Any trap classes or specs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Since Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition seems to be the more easily accessible version to get these days what with the original not being on Steam for new purchases anymore, I played through that and have some new advice that can go along with what's already on the site:

- Doing the leg-break stun can allow you to do the "stealth" takedown from behind where Wei just elbows the guy in the chest. It's an instant KO, but I would save it for arenas since you'll probably want to save your enemies in story missions for triad score where possible.

- Unlike the original version bombarding you with DLC outfits right when you get access to the apartment, you can now purchase them at a night market vendor whenever you want it.

- If you're interested in getting 100%, the Wheels of Fury missions count but they don't get listed as jobs or events in the statistics section. I believe it's all around 3-5%. Doing missions for Tran via the phone also counts for 100%, so don't forget like I did until the end.

- Speaking of Tran, those jobs can earn you a fuckton of cash so long as you don't scratch the cars you're picking up. Just get good at action hijacking or plan roadblocks on your target carefully.

- Zodiac Tournament opens up early in the plot and you can bum around looking for the collectables there when you're done with it.

- I would save buying all of the cars until you get Face Level 10 because a 40% discount rocks.

- The fat guys normally can't be thrown unless Face is active but the special throw where Wei drops an elbow on his target's head (lock-on and hold grapple) goes through their immunity. From there, you can quickly do a stun follow up even though the symbol isn't above their heads.

- Always Be Eating. I can't stress how nice it is to have buffs.

- For Nightmare at North Point and Year of the Snake, just get a guide for the collectables if you want them. At least for YotS, they show up on the minimap if you're nearby but not on the main one which sucks a lot, NaNP doesn't even do that for you.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A Bystander posted:

- Always Be Eating. I can't stress how nice it is to have buffs.

I would rephrase this as: "A man who never eats pork bun is never a whole man."

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Cactus posted:

You know what would be a really useful sub-category for the pages of many of the games on the Before I Play wiki? A "What can I sell/What should I keep?" section.

I just started Divinity Original Sin 1 and I've read the entry for it, but before I start running into inventory issues I'd like to know what can I sell and what should I hoard, and are there any specific vendors in the first BigTown that I should sell specific things to? I'm not encumbered yet but my inventory is already becoming unbearably cluttered with crap and I want to clean it all out and change it into cash without selling anything I'll regret later once I know how the game works.

I'm one of those "hold alt and pick literally everything up. Everything." people.

There are tips like that for various games but if memory serves drat near everything is used to craft something in that one so making a list is tough, if you want to make super sure it might be better to Ctrl+F a crafting list or check a basic crafting guide for the more important stuff.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Cactus posted:

You know what would be a really useful sub-category for the pages of many of the games on the Before I Play wiki? A "What can I sell/What should I keep?" section.

I just started Divinity Original Sin 1 and I've read the entry for it, but before I start running into inventory issues I'd like to know what can I sell and what should I hoard, and are there any specific vendors in the first BigTown that I should sell specific things to? I'm not encumbered yet but my inventory is already becoming unbearably cluttered with crap and I want to clean it all out and change it into cash without selling anything I'll regret later once I know how the game works.

I'm one of those "hold alt and pick literally everything up. Everything." people.

RPGs have hosed me up for selling anything over the last decade or two, since I've encountered more than a few games where selling an otherwise worthless item means you screw yourself out of a powerful weapon or a sidequest or a significant chunk of the game (looking at you, Tales series) so something like this for various games would be more than welcome.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I like the games that mark sellable junk by having it grayed out, or otherwise labelled as junk. Except then I always think why even bother having all these individually named items that only serve one purpose, just have the mobs drop currency instead and remove some tedium from your game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cactus posted:

I like the games that mark sellable junk by having it grayed out, or otherwise labelled as junk. Except then I always think why even bother having all these individually named items that only serve one purpose, just have the mobs drop currency instead and remove some tedium from your game.

And then you get stuff like The Division 2 where you pick up random junk (like old calculators, or a kid's shoe) that even has a button to sell all of it at once at a vendor... but if you run into friendly NPCs out in the city sometimes they'll ask you for a piece of that random junk and give you materials or intel in exchange for it. And I think a couple of the projects use the occasional piece as donation fodder.

There was plenty of "aw poo poo why did I sell all that vendor trash!" in the discord when people found out.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zaodai posted:

And then you get stuff like The Division 2 where you pick up random junk (like old calculators, or a kid's shoe) that even has a button to sell all of it at once at a vendor... but if you run into friendly NPCs out in the city sometimes they'll ask you for a piece of that random junk and give you materials or intel in exchange for it. And I think a couple of the projects use the occasional piece as donation fodder.

There was plenty of "aw poo poo why did I sell all that vendor trash!" in the discord when people found out.

That's not junk. Junk only sells the gear that you pick up and mark as junk. All of the other stuff goes into a separate storage area.

Some of the projects do use gear that you might have marked as junk.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Taerkar posted:

That's not junk. Junk only sells the gear that you pick up and mark as junk. All of the other stuff goes into a separate storage area.

Some of the projects do use gear that you might have marked as junk.

It's junk in the sense that it's a bunch of random poo poo it doesn't tell you is useful that goes into a separate inventory that sells for a set amount of money (10 E-credits). The "sell junk" button doesn't sell it, but the separate "Sell Trinkets" button does, which sells all of them regardless of potential usefulness. It was pretty clearly a vendor trash inventory to everyone at launch.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
If the game has inventory constraints, it at least makes sense that sellable items exist for mechanics purposes rather than just dropping money.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Rise of Industry?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I feel like I have to write this down somewhere, since I bought it on PS4 so I can't review it anywhere that I know of: If you buy Dangerous Driving expecting it to have the same care and attention given to the driving physics as the classic burnout games, you're out of luck. The cars bounce off the track barriers like pinballs, and nothing about the drifting feels as smooth as in the Burnout games. Which is strange since the makers of Dangerous Driving also made the Burnout games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Centipeed posted:

I feel like I have to write this down somewhere, since I bought it on PS4 so I can't review it anywhere that I know of: If you buy Dangerous Driving expecting it to have the same care and attention given to the driving physics as the classic burnout games, you're out of luck. The cars bounce off the track barriers like pinballs, and nothing about the drifting feels as smooth as in the Burnout games. Which is strange since the makers of Dangerous Driving also made the Burnout games.

Sounds like you got exactly what the title implied at least :v:.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I was checking the wiki for Dragon Quest Heroes, the first game, and it says the girl is better than the dude, mechanically. Is the guy like an unofficial step up in difficulty? Or does she have better attack speed, or better magic? It doesn't elaborate, so I'm curious the difference between the two.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

I was checking the for Dragon Quest Heroes, the first game, and it says the girl is better than the dude, mechanically. Is the guy like an unofficial step up in difficulty? Or does she have better attack speed, or better magic? It doesn't elaborate, so I'm curious the difference between the two.

IIRC they have the exact same moveset, except her moves have an added ice effect (slows/freezes enemies) and his moves a fire effect (damage over time). Also besides her added effects being generally better, her personality is also better (though you need to suffer his anyway).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

IIRC they have the exact same moveset, except her moves have an added ice effect (slows/freezes enemies) and his moves a fire effect (damage over time). Also besides her added effects being generally better, her personality is also better (though you need to suffer his anyway).

Alright, cool. The second game was like that, too. I probably should have been able to guess that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Leavemywife posted:

I was checking the wiki for Dragon Quest Heroes, the first game, and it says the girl is better than the dude, mechanically. Is the guy like an unofficial step up in difficulty? Or does she have better attack speed, or better magic? It doesn't elaborate, so I'm curious the difference between the two.
Aurora has access to equipment that regenerates her HP every few seconds by a not insignificant amount over time. I never took it off the whole game and it is sold early in the shop. She finishes most missions at full health because of it.

Something that should be added for the wiki is that the recipe collection will not get filled outside of NG+, which removes all the challenge of the game if you play that mode. I would suggest using Cheat Engine for infinite mini medals, to only buy every recipe the dealer is selling and collect the rest of them during missions. I still 100% the game, but only collected half of all recipes as a random drop, which were garbage tier rewards for too much grinding. There are three tiers for most recipes.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Any tips for Skyrim? Not special edition or whatever it's called if that makes a difference.

I like playing sneaky thief types in RPGs.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sean10mm posted:

Any tips for Skyrim? Not special edition or whatever it's called if that makes a difference.

Its a fairly easy game by and large. Stealth is very strong, especially combined with archery. Only thing I'd really say is that you should probably advance the plot until you get your first dragon shout, then do whatever you like.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

sean10mm posted:

Pickpocket has limited uses in the game, Lockpicking just makes the already easy lockpicking minigame easier (it's more difficult on a controller though, if you're going that way).

You can choose from three focuses early in the game, consider taking The Mage or The Warrior over The Thief, even if you want to play stealthy. The actually useful thief skills pretty much train themselves.

Oh, and the SkyUI mod transforms the inventory management from awful to pretty good, consider it when you can't take it anymore.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 12, 2019

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

StoryTime posted:

You can choose from three focuses early in the game, consider taking The Mage or The Warrior over The Thief, even if you want to play stealthy. The actually useful thief skills pretty much train themselves.

Are you talking about the stones? Because you can always fast travel to them later and change the one you have active if you want.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Maybe consider not doing the main story until you've done the thieves guild or whatever sneaky factions you like because the main quest triggers dragons to spawn pretty frequently and they are more than happy to spawn when you're supposed to be doing stealthy poo poo. Also, if you are gonna do the main quest, make sure you have at least one ranged skill unless you like waiting around for dragons to land before you can hit them.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Alternatively, if you're gonna do the main quest, beeline it. Near the end of the main quest you get an ability that makes fighting dragons considerably less annoying.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

sean10mm posted:

Extremely vague and generic Skyrim tips:

* It's pretty easy, crank the difficulty up a notch or two if you want any challenge.

* If you're on PC, there are 894 billion mods available. Most are anime yaoi horsecock, but a fair amount are pretty good. Hit up nexusmods.com.

* Don't worry about money, you'll be rolling in it before long and there isn't much to buy.

* Giants will murderize you, stay away.

* Keep in mind that the difficulty of the monsters you encounter scales with your level (except giants). So, avoid dabbling in skills you won't use again. If you level up smithing to craft yourself a shiny new sword and then never use it again, those 5 levels of smithing will be like an albatross around your neck the rest of the game, making fights harder.

* That said, alchemy is great and everyone should take it as a sideline.

* You can put off the main quest as long as you like.

* There are four major quests other than the main one. Talk to the Companions in Whiterun, the College of Winterhold, Aventus Arentino in Windhelm, and the thiefy dude in the market in Riften.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 13, 2019

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

juliuspringle posted:

Are you talking about the stones? Because you can always fast travel to them later and change the one you have active if you want.

IMHO the best stone is the Lord. Go north from Whiterun to get it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

limp_cheese posted:

Rise of Industry?

Only thing I would say is to pace yourself. You can generally pull a profit pretty easily, but if you get overzealous and start buying stuff your logistical system can't handle then you are on the road to bankruptcy. There is some competition but no real fail state so take it slow and build up slowly.

Also, selling in town is generally more profitable than selling out of state. That said, out of state will buy anything. So it's a balance.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So I'm going to start Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Any tips or skills I should focus on?

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Andrew_1985 posted:

So I'm going to start Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Any tips or skills I should focus on?

the game is surprisingly light on combat. if you played rise of the tomb raider previously, don't expect anything like that.

when it comes to skills and stuff, i took combat abilities that i actually don't recall ever even getting the chance to use in the game (there's one that allows you to attach a rope to your arrow and hoist enemies into trees to conceal them - by the time i got it, i never got to use it).

you will fight dudes, but i would skew my skills towards exploration or the other ancillary stuff first.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

the nucas posted:

the game is surprisingly light on combat. if you played rise of the tomb raider previously, don't expect anything like that.

when it comes to skills and stuff, i took combat abilities that i actually don't recall ever even getting the chance to use in the game (there's one that allows you to attach a rope to your arrow and hoist enemies into trees to conceal them - by the time i got it, i never got to use it).

you will fight dudes, but i would skew my skills towards exploration or the other ancillary stuff first.

The starting weapons in every slot are the only ones you'll really need. The difference between them, and how minimal the combat really is overall, means it's not really worth buying any others and the money can go to better uses mid-game. The only one that's even worth a look-in is actually given to you for free as part of the story late-game. The pistol silencer you can buy from the first merchant is also great early game for stealth kills.

Do the sidequest in the second hub area about getting some dice back. It'll bring you to a traveling merchant that sells you almost all of the "you need X to go this way" tools.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

sean10mm posted:

Just play Enderal.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

sean10mm posted:

Sneaking is easy but for thieving you might want to consider mods. Improving the thieves guild involves doing dozens of random fetch quests and a mod to reduce the drudgery really helps.

Pickpocket is also rather disappointing in vanilla Skyrim - people don't have that much worth taking and by the time you're good enough to get it you're rolling in cash anyway.
A perks mod might help here but I have forgotten the name of the one I liked.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

anilEhilated posted:

Just play Enderal.

quote:

An unconventional story with believable characters and psychological undercurrents.
Yeah, you know what, I think I'll pass. At least the English translation doesn't seem to include the "philosophical" themes that the German version also promises.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What's your issue? I don't understand.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What's your issue? I don't understand.
Just always a bit leery when a Skyrim mod starts throwing big promises like that around. I guess I've been spending a bit too much time in the Awful Mods thread to trust the user content for this game, lol.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Enderal is good you weirdo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrew_1985 posted:

The best combat skill is the one that makes deadly poison arrows. Not only does it let you make a super deadly attack, it unlocks collecting the ingredients for it and they sell for a higher price than even the collectible which only exists to be sold.

Every area has a hidden collectible quest chain, usually triggered by shooting the drat things, that will only pop up and log progress once you do one of them. This can be stupid when you dont have any idea what you are looking for, so if you plan to 100% the game just look these up for each area.

You cant pet dogs since there are none in the game but I have great news about alpacas

No you didnt miss a shitload of story, the end is just that unsatisfyingly rushed

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Just always a bit leery when a Skyrim mod starts throwing big promises like that around. I guess I've been spending a bit too much time in the Awful Mods thread to trust the user content for this game, lol.

Enderal is excellent and widely considered to be better than vanilla Skyrim.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Enderal is excellent and widely considered to be better than vanilla Skyrim.
Alright, if you say so. I guess I'll give it a shot the next time I feel like playing Skyrim, but I'll be honest: I have a hard time believing that twelve random German modders could put out anything as fully-formed as the 90+ professionals that worked on that game, as weak as parts of it were.

Now, better than the main quest? That, I'll buy.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I'd honestly say that it's a better game than vanilla Skyrim. It's really quite impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright, if you say so. I guess I'll give it a shot the next time I feel like playing Skyrim, but I'll be honest: I have a hard time believing that twelve random German modders could put out anything as fully-formed as the 90+ professionals that worked on that game, as weak as it was in certain parts of it

Now, better than the main quest? That, I'll buy.

Some of the best mods in fact just fix oversights and sloppy work by Bethesda, like the Unofficial Patch. Bethesda.... aren't exactly far above the random modders and have lifted features off them wholesale repeatedly.