Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Eh, that analysis doesn't really work in the Israeli Proportional Representation system. If Gantz and Bibi both got the exact same proportions of votes as now but the rest were more in favor of the Left and Arab parties, there would probably be some sort of Rabin-style Gantz led government. Instead, the exact same coalition as before won.

The reality is that the vast majority of Israeli voters are right wing, and no amount of electoral maneuvering would be able to overcome that. The only way forward is trying for some sort of seismic shift leftward in society, which I don't see happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

The whole of the Israeli right is built on a bunch of wishful thinking and Israel as a state is going to come to collapse in the following decades. External threats won't be the cause, but internal problems within the state will.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Such as?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Israelis will visit a total ethnic extermination on the Palestinians before it allows itself to collapse.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
states don't 'allow themselves' to collapse, but yes, given the Samson Option protocols it is likely the israeli state will visit insane destruction on a number of parties before it dies

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
"i am sure this fash-adjacent right wing regime is going to collapse soon" says increasingly nervous leftist for the hundredth time this decade

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
dti

https://twitter.com/fired4smart/status/1116376470425931779

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

lmao

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

states don't 'allow themselves' to collapse, but yes, given the Samson Option protocols it is likely the israeli state will visit insane destruction on a number of parties before it dies

the samson option is a made up thing

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I feel like no matter what number Sanders said aloud, he lowballed it by at least an order of magnitude.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

the Samson Option isn't real

it was made up by ultra-nationalist novelists, and spread around by people who are predisposed to believe any sort of evils from Israel (or Jews) up to and including a plot to literally destroy the world

though if you really think about it, the dreams of Israeli far-right ultra-nationalists often line up with the conspiracy theories of anti-Semites. makes sense, I guess - many anti-Semites are nationalists or budding nationalists who come up with conspiracy theories against minorities by assuming that those minorities have the same nationalist feelings and hatred for outsiders that they do

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
All you need to know about the samson option is that the israeli government refuses to answer any questions about nuclear weapons so any definite statements are made up

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

All you need to know about the samson option is that the israeli government refuses to answer any questions about nuclear weapons so any definite statements are made up

yeah, pretty comical that there is actually 1 additional nuclear power, but they're a "secret" nuclear power

i mean, that's a hearty lol if there ever was one

RaySmuckles has issued a correction as of 17:18 on Apr 12, 2019

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The only nuclear power that isn't inspected in some form by the IAEA.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

the samson option is a made up thing

the "Samson Option" as a doublespeak way of saying MAD because admitting Israel has nukes can get you censured and thrown in jail is very much not a made up thing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's antisemitic to imply that Israel has nukes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's antisemitic to imply that Israel has nukes.

That they shared with Apartheid-era South Africa no less.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the moon is antisemitic now

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Autism Sneaks posted:

the "Samson Option" as a doublespeak way of saying MAD because admitting Israel has nukes can get you censured and thrown in jail is very much not a made up thing

that's not the Samson Option, though

the Samson Option is ultra-nationalist writers daydreaming about a defeated Israel nuking not only its enemies but every other nuclear power as well, to punish the foolish Gentiles for failing to come to the rescue of mighty Israel

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Main Paineframe posted:

the Samson Option is ultra-nationalist writers daydreaming about a defeated Israel nuking not only its enemies but every other nuclear power as well, to punish the foolish Gentiles for failing to come to the rescue of mighty Israel

that isn't even what samson did tho. dude killed everything in his vicinity when he went down because everyone where he was was a philistine, he didn't kill those who were ostensibly his allies who should have come to save him.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't know where you heard it's that incredibly specific scenario but they and by association you are wrong and I'm right, it's not some ultra-special Israeli doomsday plan it's just whatever their nuclear response would be in the event of impending military defeat

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Main Paineframe posted:

I think we have in this discussion two simultaneous Samson Options. Some people say "Samson Option" as a means to suggest Israel using its nukes to irradiate the Levant and it's neighbors rather than be subjected to a victorious Arab invasion. Others use it to describe what you describe. Personally, when I hear the phrase, I imagine the former and not the latter.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CountFosco posted:

I think we have in this discussion two simultaneous Samson Options. Some people say "Samson Option" as a means to suggest Israel using its nukes to irradiate the Levant and it's neighbors rather than be subjected to a victorious Arab invasion. Others use it to describe what you describe. Personally, when I hear the phrase, I imagine the former and not the latter.

same, i've only heard it in your context

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
there is a very common anti-semitic trope about israel using its nukes on european capitals (supposedly to 'avenge the holocaust') so main paineframe isn't wrong, but yeah i think samson option generally refers to taking down israel's neighbors in the event that its conventional forces are overrun

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

the Samson Option isn't real

it was made up by ultra-nationalist novelists, and spread around by people who are predisposed to believe any sort of evils from Israel (or Jews) up to and including a plot to literally destroy the world

though if you really think about it, the dreams of Israeli far-right ultra-nationalists often line up with the conspiracy theories of anti-Semites. makes sense, I guess - many anti-Semites are nationalists or budding nationalists who come up with conspiracy theories against minorities by assuming that those minorities have the same nationalist feelings and hatred for outsiders that they do

Pre-WW2 self-described Zionists like Theodor Herzl specifically believed that antisemitic nationalists were right, that Jews were parasitic outsiders whose existence disrupted proper nations. Their solution was to have a Jewish nation so that they could develop a national character and participate in the world as equals, precisely according to nationalist bullshit. I don't think it's a stretch to say the current Israeli nationalists continue that tradition.

Anyway though I think describing a doomsday strategy as "Samson Option" ascribes it a particular Jewishness, which is inherently kind of antisemitic. Same reason I qualified "Zionists" with "self-described" above.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Someone do the friendship ended meme

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1117180170291548160?s=19

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Only registered members can see post attachments!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

In related news, prim minister Netanyahu announces a month long tour of Brazil in support of the neo-SA

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1120273583585091586?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Ron_Skolnik/status/1122853097053855744

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

that sounds suspiciously like an Anti-Semitic Trope

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
israel is full

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

this is the most galaxy brain take imaginable

e: https://twitter.com/Ron_Skolnik/status/1122893435986481152

cosmic brain

universal contraction with a new big bang take where we wrap back around to where being Zionist is unambiguously antisemitic

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 09:43 on Apr 30, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thomas Friedman the ultraliberal anti-Zionist :psyduck:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/YairWallach/status/1122859672959160322?s=19
https://twitter.com/YairWallach/status/1122861464036040705?s=19
https://twitter.com/YairWallach/status/1122861465151639553?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

not letting left wing jews in does make sense as the logical conclusion of Likud's vision of israel tbh

likud seems to have the classic fascist approach to society as an organism that gets infested by parasites
i dont really know how they view arabs though, is the idea to get rid of all of them or turn them into a labouring underclass? presumably it varies

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

death to Israel, imho

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fascist Israelis love Hitler and think the Holocoast was good

https://mondoweiss.net/2019/04/israeli-military-praising/

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1124329777412833280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
The Soviet faction of this round is, out of sheer necessity, going to bring about literal biblical Armageddon sans the rapture. Demons and all.