Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fightwithcrayons posted:

Feel like most of the population was in the city that got obliterated at the end.

They just moved to the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The movie explains what happened when Insomnia fell, which isn't important. The anime is all about Bro Moments with the Bros, which I am told is the most important part of the game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Best part of the movie was Luna actually getting to do something.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You don't need to watch any of the anime stuff to understand the story :shrug:

I think the first few minutes of Kingslaive are pretty important since they explain in very plain terms what is what.

The rest, not so much.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Cleretic posted:

So my beating the final boss of Dissidia NT with a team consisting of the Emperor, Vayne and Jecht started up a conversation with a friend of mine:

What three FF villains would be the worst to have save the world? Because the Emperor and Vayne are definitely pretty high up there, them saving the world validates their empires.

Within the NT cast, putting a third in there actually gets kind of hard. It's probably not actually all that worrisome if some of the more actually outright monstrous villains get in there (Exdeath, Cloud of Darkness, kinda Kefka), because that doesn't really change the status quo, they're still cackling monsters. Villains with redemption arcs probably aren't so bad (Golbez, Jecht) because their games do show them to actually be pretty okay when the chips are down. Garland is evil but mostly just shouty, so he's probably not going to do too much damage. Zenos is a tough call because his story's not done yet, and Sephiroth is a bit of a wildcard because we don't actually know which Sephiroth this is; if it's 'essentially human but still a SOLDIER' Sephiroth then we're in for some trouble because he's still got a mind, but if it's Jenova avatar Sepiroth we're dealing with an outright-monster situation where not much changes.

My friend's pick for a third within NT was Ultimecia, because she's still kinda crazy megalomaniacal, but I think ultimately she still wants life to go on, it's just on her absurd terms. My pick is Kuja, because I feel like he's basically a narcissist and we REALLY don't want that sort of person having saved the world. But outside NT, my pick is Gaius from XIV. Because while the Emperor and Vayne are doing it for their own gains, Gaius genuinely believes in imperialism, and that's REALLY not what we want wearing the 'saved the world' crown.

I mean, most of the villains in the series have both the desire and the means to destroy reality. I guess if the assumption is that they no longer have those (because they're part of a team to save the world) then it changes things a bit, but most of them are still crazy and dangerous.

But within the framework you're presenting, the third member of that trio would have to be Zenos, and mostly for the same reason as the Emperor and Vayne: if he's part of the group who was strong enough to save the world, it lends some credence to the idea that Garlemald should rule the world. He's also a kill-happy psychopath who intentionally kneecaps his own nation's military response in the hopes of creating an opponent powerful enough to challenge him, so one can only imagine what he would be like during peace time.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
TBH I don't see any reason why we shouldn't all be under the thumb of a global empire.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gologle posted:

TBH I don't see any reason why we shouldn't all be under the thumb of a global empire.

We already are with the corporations, maaaaaan.

(The planet’s dyin’, Gologle)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
...whatever

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

CeallaSo posted:

I mean, most of the villains in the series have both the desire and the means to destroy reality. I guess if the assumption is that they no longer have those (because they're part of a team to save the world) then it changes things a bit, but most of them are still crazy and dangerous.

But within the framework you're presenting, the third member of that trio would have to be Zenos, and mostly for the same reason as the Emperor and Vayne: if he's part of the group who was strong enough to save the world, it lends some credence to the idea that Garlemald should rule the world. He's also a kill-happy psychopath who intentionally kneecaps his own nation's military response in the hopes of creating an opponent powerful enough to challenge him, so one can only imagine what he would be like during peace time.

Zenos during peace time would just be him brutally oppressing random group for no reason in the hopes that they would be pissed off enough to rebel. Picture him just walking into a random home and killing a mother in front of her kid in the hopes that the kid will spend the rest of their life getting strong enough to take revenge.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mega64 posted:

https://twitter.com/cleartonic/status/1116880856046608384

There's a FF5 open world randomizer in beta testing right now, similar in scope to Free Enterprise.

I deeply enjoy Free Enterprise but love FFV far more than FFIV so let's see how this goes.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
lol i died on the dragon boss in the gladiolus dlc because i couldnt bring up the item menu when i was downed (bug), hit load checkpoint and it puts you back at the beginning of the dlc. i have saves at the camps further in, but why is every single part of this game so unfinished

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is honestly pretty impressive that FFXV is like a 40 hour open world game with sidequests, DLC, multiplayer and multiple endings and yet somehow still feels tremendously unfinished.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I liked Final Fantasy XV, but really reminds me of Xenogears. They are both long game where the first half has a ton of stuff, then the last half just linear and just skipping over set pieces to reach the next dungeon. XV has at least the option to return to the open world segments at anytime by using the dog instead of Fei's narration zone, but yeah...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well finally made it past chapter 11 in FF13. Back to the plot corridor but now it's just a tremendous slog. Holy poo poo does this game feel padded as all hell and THEN the game starts throwing poo poo like double Humbaba fights at you. Lordy, just let me get to the end already, game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

Well finally made it past chapter 11 in FF13. Back to the plot corridor but now it's just a tremendous slog. Holy poo poo does this game feel padded as all hell and THEN the game starts throwing poo poo like double Humbaba fights at you. Lordy, just let me get to the end already, game.

The only part that felt like padding to me is the maze/gauntlet right before I the final boss. It was dumb and annoying and I couldn't just zip through because my idiot brain needs to go exploring and find all the chests.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Elephant Ambush posted:

The only part that felt like padding to me is the maze/gauntlet right before I the final boss. It was dumb and annoying and I couldn't just zip through because my idiot brain needs to go exploring and find all the chests.

I dunno man chapter 12 feels very uh. Oh look, it's Cocoon but now there's a bunch of pulse monsters! I mean it's interesting at first but it just feels like it went on and on and on with nothing much happening. Maybe it has a lot more to do with the plot of the game being so front loaded and relatively sparse in the back half.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

I dunno man chapter 12 feels very uh. Oh look, it's Cocoon but now there's a bunch of pulse monsters! I mean it's interesting at first but it just feels like it went on and on and on with nothing much happening. Maybe it has a lot more to do with the plot of the game being so front loaded and relatively sparse in the back half.

That's probably true.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What you didnt like them resurrecting a dead guy to kill him again off screen because the cutscenes were made first read the data logs?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

What you didnt like them resurrecting a dead guy to kill him again off screen because the cutscenes were made first read the data logs?

That was seriously the worst thing in the game (other than the story sucking (because the cutscenes were made first)).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

Afaict it was two dead people but I'm gonna be real honest I have a very tenuous grasp of the plot at this point. However in true Final Fantasy fashion I am stoked to head out and kill a god or two.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

my life

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DrNutt posted:

Personally I liked Chapter 12 since it had a bunch of good encounters and I liked the Proudclad bosses a lot. They are kinda long hallways but that's the norm anyways in the game so it never got to me much.

As far as the story goes, the initial cutscene and the general setting are kinda cool, but the cutscenes definitely become draining with Cid being resurrected uselessly or Nora dudes coming back to do basically nothing.

DrNutt posted:

Afaict it was two dead people but I'm gonna be real honest I have a very tenuous grasp of the plot at this point.

You're probably thinking of Yaag Rosch, who LOOKED like he died at the end of Chapter 7 (cause he was shot point blank with that assault rifle and fell backwards in slow-mo with slow ominous music playing, etc). But he's didn't actually die; his datalog entry would've said so like it does for the other characters who died but it just acts like nothing happened, and then he just comes back outta nowhere in Chapter 12. It's really loving dumb I know, and confused me at first, but it's only Cid who gets the dramatic-death-but-is-revived-later-for-no-reason treatment.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ventana posted:

Personally I liked Chapter 12 since it had a bunch of good encounters and I liked the Proudclad bosses a lot. They are kinda long hallways but that's the norm anyways in the game so it never got to me much.

As far as the story goes, the initial cutscene and the general setting are kinda cool, but the cutscenes definitely become draining with Cid being resurrected uselessly or Nora dudes coming back to do basically nothing.

You're probably thinking of Yaag Rosch, who LOOKED like he died at the end of Chapter 7 (cause he was shot point blank with that assault rifle and fell backwards in slow-mo with slow ominous music playing, etc). But he's didn't actually die; his datalog entry would've said so like it does for the other characters who died but it just acts like nothing happened, and then he just comes back outta nowhere in Chapter 12. It's really loving dumb I know, and confused me at first, but it's only Cid who gets the dramatic-death-but-is-revived-later-for-no-reason treatment.

See at first I was excited to see the Nora folks because they were people that I actually gave a poo poo about. But then they just hopped back on their space motorcycles and flew away. So uh, great. Maybe it would have been better to actually show them evacuating civilians or something?

And yeah, you're right, I was thinking of Rosch. Speaking of which I did not enjoy the Proudclad fights because the game spends a bunch of time impressing how important buffs/debuffs are and then you can't debuff at all and it becomes an annoying battle of attrition and heal checks.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Haha jesus I forgot about Rosch too. That was so dumb.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elephant Ambush posted:

Haha jesus I forgot about Rosch too. That was so dumb.
I assumed that Jihl Nabaat came back and I forgot about it altogether, so coulda been worse.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I assumed that Jihl Nabaat came back and I forgot about it altogether, so coulda been worse.

Was surprised after seeing her as a dlc character in 13-2 that she just dies in a cutscene rather uneventfully in 13.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I remember when Jihl, Rosch, and Rygdea were all speculated to be major antagonists, and they were just a whole lotta nothing in the end

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
jihl is a cool character bc her gag based on different colored danger codes is the funniest bit of intentional humor in the game

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

scrub

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It is honestly pretty impressive that FFXV is like a 40 hour open world game with sidequests, DLC, multiplayer and multiple endings and yet somehow still feels tremendously unfinished.

Because, like Xenogears, both games had weird managerial oversight where they peeked out of their office towards the end, went "this isn't done yet? wrap this poo poo up" while the meandering team scrambled to get it done. Then the publisher blames the players for the poor sales.

(I realize this doesn't fit to a T but it is seemingly common in development)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Okay well I finally loving beat FF13 and I think the only thing that will satisfy me now is an edit of Barth sinking into the liquid crystal doing the T2 thumbs up.

E: oh loving God dammit there's still another boss battle left??? This loving never ending dungeon slog

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 15, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The final boss of ff13 is the coolest looking ff final boss imo, so at least there's that

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Phew the real final boss was easy as hell anyway, luckily.

e: Okay not getting any crystarium points for those last few bosses was a kick in the dick though.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 15, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I played 1-9 with an obsessive fervor and haven't touched the series in a decade. If I wanted to play another FF, should I do 10 or 15?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ItBreathes posted:

I played 1-9 with an obsessive fervor and haven't touched the series in a decade. If I wanted to play another FF, should I do 10 or 15?

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Rirse posted:

Was surprised after seeing her as a dlc character in 13-2 that she just dies in a cutscene rather uneventfully in 13.

I believe the reason why she was brought back was because everyone wanted to fight her in 13 and she walked up to start a boss fight before being murdered by the rear end in a top hat we'd fight 4 more times in the game. So they decided to give a real boss fight kind of thing with her in 13-2. Also let them get a use for her model outside of the like 4 cutscenes she was in.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ItBreathes posted:

10 is definitely closer to the originals than 15 and is still one of the most well-rounded games in the series.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

If you want the "oh yeah, this was it was like!" experience to kindle decades-old memories FFX definitely encapsulates that really well and it's available on just about everything ever now with the remasters.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nah, they're just the two I have the systems what can play them. Less nostalgia more waiting on the next killer app for the switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
10 owns, play 10. I mean, 15 isn't awful, but 10 is actively super good.