Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

watercolors are fun.

but wait, there is more.

This is the most fun I had with drawing in years.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Getting caught up on birdz.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Not sure what robot dude is freaking out about, but I hope his day gets better.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I'm working on another game project that needs sprite animation, so I started working on that kind of thing again. Here's what I have so far:

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 10, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

just a quick figure... working on a background for her

Edit - pretty much done with this now.

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 11, 2019

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I used to enjoy working with scratchboard.

Cool spritework! I never could wrap my head around how to get started with that.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Shinmera posted:

I'm working on another game project that needs sprite animation, so I started working on that kind of thing again. Here's what I have so far:

This is cool! Has a very retro "Prince of Persia" feel to them.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Chaosfeather posted:

Cool spritework! I never could wrap my head around how to get started with that.

Thanks! I'm by far no expert either, hah. When I have to pixel I first go look for some references made by people that, unlike me, know what they're doing. Looking at those and studying how they make things look good helps a ton.

Otherwise, I suppose you just gotta try. Pixels can be a pretty cool because there's only so much that you can change, and figuring out how to make things work together is almost like a puzzle at times.

IronSaber posted:

This is cool! Has a very retro "Prince of Persia" feel to them.

Thanks! I don't think I'll get animations as smooth as Prince of Persia though, ha ha.

Today I didn't get much work done unfortunately as I've burnt myself out with work over the past few days and also had a dentist visit that put me out of commission for a while.

Nevertheless, here's a gif version with two small animations added that I made today:

Should be able to post in-game screens tomorrow.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
fun fact about prince of persia, the sprites were actually rotoscoped from footage jordan mechner took of his little brother running around in pyjamas

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Started working up one of my Inktober pics as a better painting - housemoving bullshit is finally passing, so I'm starting to get a bit more art-time.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Phallocycle!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lofi posted:

Phallocycle!

huge hog in more ways than one [wiggles eyebrows marxishly]

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Some actual daily art! I have a bunch of scrap paper and some scrap wood, so decided to do some mini-prints over a few hours

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi posted:

Phallocycle!

hahah, dammit! Now I'll never NOT see the phallocycle!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Some actual daily art! I have a bunch of scrap paper and some scrap wood, so decided to do some mini-prints over a few hours

I really like your prints, not only these but all the other ones you posted. It has to do with the artisan work that goes into making the block and then doing the print. Do you sell them somewhere?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hawx!!!!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Have a Deinonychus that has absolutely no scientific research behind it. I just wanted to put feathers on that skeleton.
And a pokemon I guess.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Keetron posted:

I really like your prints, not only these but all the other ones you posted. It has to do with the artisan work that goes into making the block and then doing the print. Do you sell them somewhere?

I’ve got an etsy and do the craft fair thing.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

How do you guys color in the evening, do you have special light setups to keep an eye on your colors, do you use very white leds or do you just make do and see in the morning how things turned out?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I... don't think about it. :unsmith:

Character art for viking-D&D-stream-thing.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Keetron posted:

How do you guys color in the evening, do you have special light setups to keep an eye on your colors, do you use very white leds or do you just make do and see in the morning how things turned out?

I got one of those table-attachy bendy neck lights bolted to the side of the table for analog drawing. But also I draw on the tablet, which self-illuminates. I thought about building a light table but :effort:

heavy liquid posted:

hahah, dammit! Now I'll never NOT see the phallocycle!

There's not a single one of us that hasn't at least once done an accidental dong art.
I especially remember a beautiful pic I made where a small griffon was consoling an elf, hugging her from behind and at some point I just had to admit that it was never gonna look like the griffon isn't dryhumping her fiercely.

It's SPRING I saw a flower it means it's spring and it's the time of rebirth and all that good pagan jazz so I stepped into my discomfort zone and did a car.

Then I did a beautiful catlady

I've also spent a couple of drawing-times designing a diorama. I recently completed a diorama kit and super enjoyed it so I wanna make my own from scratch. Chose Wizard Room as a theme.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Keetron posted:

On the computer, I have Flux for my eyes, but I disable it for all art programs.

For physical media, my desk in my room is easily it by the center room light, which has flood lighting of white light. If you don't have this available, I used to have a desk with an overhang light that I used, also white light. It helps you work well into the night, but eye strain is a concern. Don't forget to rest your eyes if you get a headache from a drawing.

I am having a very, very hard time drawing this shardmind. Trying to figure out a way to have a mouth (which I know isn't supposed to be there, canonically) to make the face more expressive and it's just not working yet.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
I bought some charcoal pens and drawing stumps a few days ago. How does shading even work, man, I sure don't know.

I would like to thank my cat Kaktus for agreeing to sit for this drawing, even if it was only for about 30 seconds.

Anyway, I'm happy that I've improved enough at this to draw cats that look like cats, and not eldritch monstrosities.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Thank you for the light responses, it seems I am overthinking things. I will mount a shelf on the wall above my screens and put a clamp on desk light there with white leds.

edit:
Shelves mounted, that was a very good idea.
I have been drawing but mostly color testing copics for the card exchange and some watercolor practice of filling with even washes, nothing I can show here.

Wait, I can show this:

Keetron fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 14, 2019

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

my buddy Superfly fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 15, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

More character art. Crotchety water-druid this time!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

More sketchin. No time for the luxury of finished drawings!

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

my buddy Superfly fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 15, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Hah, it's weird seeing your stuff so bright and vibrant. I dig it, it's very spring .. y.

lofi posted:

More character art. Crotchety water-druid this time!

Coming out of her well to shame mankind? We need a bit of that.

The sleeper has awakened.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Not spending much time on these, I've been churning out projects like crazy and keep almost falling behind. Augh.

Did get a face I am okay with on that shardmind, though. After about 20 additional sketches. What a brat.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I've never really drawn cars. Some kids only drew cars growing up, but I was never one of them. I guess it was a combination of not being interested and the perspective and lines needing to be fairly precise. So I guess I'll draw a few for a while in an attempt to get better. Hopefully it will help with some other areas I'm weak in. They're really rough, and I'll have to work on refining the lines when I feel I've nailed down the shapes and perspective.

1967 Toyota 2000GT

1969 Toyota Corona

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Cars are hard! I think it's because we see them so often that it's really obvious if they're a tiny bit wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

lofi posted:

Cars are hard! I think it's because we see them so often that it's really obvious if they're a tiny bit wrong.

It’s like faces. Everyone knows what a face/car is, but ask someone to actually represent one and it falls apart. We store the iconography without actually knowing how it’s made up.