Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

e: lovely post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Just when I thought this comic couldn't get any better he sprinkles on a little "bitch killed my sifu"

:discourse:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Grand Prize Winner posted:

alt-text here:

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-6-52/

Incubus may well have been following instructions the whole time, possibly including killing Meti

Huh. Incubus really was the good student. He fed her body to the doggos as requested.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Drunk Theory posted:

Huh. Incubus really was the good student. He fed her body to the doggos as requested.

wrong, idiot. better to feed her to the birds.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Sparrow Pecks an Ox, and Sparrow Shares a Drink

Dog? Dog is thrown skyward

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Maya is the Goofus to Incubus' Gallant.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
On one hand, dick move. On the other, nice to dogs.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hey she didnt say he killed her in battle. Maybe he just kept getting her cigarettes.

Meti cleans up real nice in idol form.

i cant say why exactly but i dont think this shrine has anything to do with meti actually

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I’m going to laugh if Incubus was Metis good student, and this fact actually contributes to why the other demiurges don’t respect him.

“drat, you were Metis faithful student...yah we’ll take her second student if we have a choice.”

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 13, 2019

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Drunk Theory posted:

The whole "fed her body to the dogs" thing might make your statement harder to justify.

But then again maybe being devoured by dogs was Meti's prefered method of disposing of her corpse. Burial, Cremation, Fed to the Hounds. The second option one is cheaper, but the hounds are stylish as hell.

It was her express wish. Alt text here:

Meti-Ten-Ryo posted:

My student once asked me what should be done about my body when I was inevitably torn apart by my enemies. My answer was simple: feed it to the dogs outside the walls of the city. She was horrified, of course, and protested loudly. 'Alright then,' I said, 'Give me a stick to beat the dogs so they won't bother me'. 'But master,' said my idiot student, 'You will be insensate.''Well if I'm insensate then why do you give a flying gently caress what happens to my corpse?' I said, settling the matter."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The more we learn about Maya the more I begin to realize that she is, if anything, further away from Royalty than the demiurges. (And not because of the key.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember, also, that Meti considers the sword 'a hideous tool for separating men from their vital fluids', and that a swordmaster must become the action of 'Cutting Down Your Opponent'. The only thing she teaches her pupils is how to kill, so it would make perfect sense that killing her is the graduation exam.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Drunk Theory posted:

I’m going to laugh if Incubus was Metis good student, and this fact actually contributes to why the other demiurges don’t respect him.

“drat, you were Metis faithful student...yah we’ll take her second student if we have a choice.”

Incubus is an anagram for "Nerd boy" in the secret language of kings

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'm not sure if she feels burning hatred for Inky because she's genuinely that attached to her master, because she's mad about the ways he upstaged her, because he's just that much of a douche, or all of the above.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aumanor posted:

It was her express wish. Alt text here:

Also this is more or less a direct quote of Diogenes (historical sources do not mention him saying "flying gently caress", though it would certainly be in character)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The concept of Sword Diogenes is still unimaginably cool to me.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Drunk Theory posted:

If Inky got his key by doing everything that was expected of him but with great skill, it would make sense that the rest of the demiurges hate him. The ones we have learned about so far have gotten their key through rejecting their expectations and place. Mottom killed her husband and took his key. Mammom betrayed his nature and as well as his entire race in order to get his. Solomon slaughtered his entire order of pacifist monks. Maya is probably more Royal than the demiurges by deciding to go day drinking instead of ruling.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wrestlepig posted:

The concept of Sword Diogenes is still unimaginably cool to me.

Well he did tend to wave his "sword" around quite a bit...

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Incubus plays off the Pink Jareth Satan angle because he's secretly the biggest square of them all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Drunk Theory posted:

Incubus was the better student, but that does not mean he was the better swordsman.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Those that can't Cut, learn.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Those who can't learn become kings and conquerors.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

New page.
It gave us some important information.
My brain is exploding.
That is all.

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-6-55/

Is my girl Monkey still alive? Good for her.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Incubus was the better student, but that does not mean he was the better swordsman.

I'm pretty sure Incubus was certainly the better student and swordsman, especially since his "It's only about winning" attitude is in line with Meti's whole ideology of if you are going to be such a loving idiot as to dedicate your life to the art of Cutting you might as well be competent at it.

A pretty central conceit in this comic is that excelling at something is wholly devoid of innate virtue. Hell, I'm pretty sure Yisun themself finds it hilarious that everyone is blindly assuming that Being Royal is actually worth caring about.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Sounds like Meti should've updated her sword manual.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Achieving Royalty requires you to not care about achieving Royalty.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Bilirubin posted:

sky burial takes too long

Plus Meti donated everything to that rescue. Including her house. Very dedicated to the doggos

Feeding the corpse to the packs of dogs that roamed just outside every city was how it was done by the Zoroastrian community in China or other flatland areas. Proper towers of silence were hard to come by.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

A big flaming stink posted:

I'm pretty sure Incubus was certainly the better student and swordsman, especially since his "It's only about winning" attitude is in line with Meti's whole ideology of if you are going to be such a loving idiot as to dedicate your life to the art of Cutting you might as well be competent at it.

Except that he didn't lead the middle army and earn one of the places as one of the seven rulers of creation; she did.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Who What Now posted:

Except that he didn't lead the middle army and earn one of the places as one of the seven rulers of creation; she did.

We don't actually know anything about this.

Also hahahaha 'earn.' Nobody can 'earn' being a multiversal tyrant. You just have enough power to force the others to table wth you, and Incubus clearly has that.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Who What Now posted:

I'd hazard a guess that this, too, is because he cared too much about winning.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Joe Slowboat posted:

We don't actually know anything about this.

The chances of Maya not being the Demiurge that Incubus received his key from is all but zero.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
She tarnished his Big Important Achievement by casually doing it first. It was simply payback.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Caring about winning is actually directly opposed to Meti's instructions:

Meti's Sword Manual posted:

The weak swordsman clings to victory. He thinks of his life, his obligations, the outcome of the battle, his hatred for his opponent, his training, his pride in his mastery. By doing so, he is an imperfect vessel for the terrible fires of Will. He will surely crack. He will not laugh uproariously if he is cleft in two by his opponent’s blade. When his sword is shattered, his hands will be too reserved to tear his enemies’ flesh.

I think that applies very well to Incubus, who is too consumed by his pride, his resentment, and fears, and his desire for victory to be a true master. Meti's instructions are that you must annihilate your entire self, and exist only as part of the single, perfect cut you are making - not why you are cutting, not what happens from you cutting, not even the previous or next cuts - just that single cut.

quote:

To cut properly, you must continually self-annihilate when cutting. Your hand must become a hand that is cutting, your body a body that is cutting, your mind, a mind that is cutting. You must instantaneously destroy your fake pre-present self. It is a useless hanger on.

I think the real question is whether or not Incubus actually has a sword in that scabbard he's toting around.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah let's not pretend that Mathangi Ten Meti hasn't been clearly alluded to being the original holder of Incubus's throne. She's shown as a demiurge in a flashback, and he refers to the previous owner as "fat, washed-up drunk" who abdicated.

It's definitely Maya. It just makes me wonder what their training was like that she surpassed him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Is Maya's student here someone we've seen before? One of the less adorned pursuers, perhaps?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Malpais Legate posted:

It's definitely Maya. It just makes me wonder what their training was like that she surpassed him.

Meti's Sword Manual posted:

The weak swordsman clings to victory. He thinks of his life, his obligations, the outcome of the battle, his hatred for his opponent, his training, his pride in his mastery. By doing so, he is an imperfect vessel for the terrible fires of Will. He will surely crack. He will not laugh uproariously if he is cleft in two by his opponent’s blade. When his sword is shattered, his hands will be too reserved to tear his enemies’ flesh.

vs

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Malpais Legate posted:

Yeah let's not pretend that Mathangi Ten Meti hasn't been clearly alluded to being the original holder of Incubus's throne. She's shown as a demiurge in a flashback, and he refers to the previous owner as "fat, washed-up drunk" who abdicated.

consider: she surpassed him because she was the poorer student

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Let's just say everyone failed this class, student and teacher alike.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

RateMySensei.com posted:

Last archived reviews for METI, educator at MARKETPLACE #19820, URN #7203

Current page: 1/38

changealeopardsspots108: 1/5
Father said I should seek out this vagrant knight for education. Could not stand the smell. Did not enroll. Would give lower score if I could.

Pros: N/A
Cons: beggar woman living in an urn

Suffer_Thrice_Forgive_Never_: 4/5
Meti is a wonderful source of local knowledge and color and she gives book autographs in exchange for a meal. She taught me the finer points of city living on a budget no matter how many times I asked to learn the blade instead. Abrasive personality excellent for imparting strong life lessons. Selling my autographed manual more than paid for all of the lunches I bought her.

Pros: shrewd and thrifty education, unconventional teaching methods, available all hours for tutoring.
Cons: the smell, unconventional teaching methods, personality not for everyone.

!bladegrrl!_83c: 1/5
Would rate lower if I could. Known mooch and generally rude. Tricks my family into supporting her lifestyle. Refuses to accept new students if they don't shave with a rusty blade. Stuck-up.

Pros: N/A
Cons: rude and unhelpful.

Joe_justonename: 5/5
LOOKING FOR SLAVES LET ME KNOW I GOT THE HOTTEST HOOKUPS AROUND AND MY SLAVES DO ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING THEY COOK THEY CLEAN THEY GET NASTY THEY FIGHT THEY EVEN TRANSCRIBE I'M USING ONE RIGHT NOW TO WRITE THIS MESSAGE GOOD GIRL ESTHER YOUR DICTION IS COMING ALONG NICELY COME SEE JOE IF YOU NEED SLAVES OR WANT TO CUT A DEAL WITH ME I GOT ONE NAME IF YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING AND I CAN SCRATCH YOUR BACK IF YOU SCRATCH MINE ALRIGHT ESTHER END TRANSCRIPTION

Pros: I GOT THE BEST SLAVES
Cons: YOU GOTTA COME TO ME

x×xbiggknyfex×x: 5/5
Meti taught me how to build my own house and now I have a pretty nice house.

Pros: good architecture and homesteading education on the cheap
Cons: the smell

[>] NEXT FIVE REVIEWS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A pretty central conceit in this comic is that excelling at something is wholly devoid of innate virtue.

this is incidentally the whole Thing of the villain of the Ramayana, who fasted and prayed and meditated until he was a functionally invulnerable sorceror and then used that power to become a god-king and crush human polities and kidnap princesses