Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I bought a baking steel a couple years ago and haven't used it much the
last year. It's rusted an little bit. Any ideas on how I should I fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bought an induction cooktop, it is amazing. But drat am I burning everything because I'm so not used to the insane amounts of efficiency this thing has, so my pan heats up ridiculously quickly. It has 10 power settings, and most stuff fries perfectly around setting 3 or 4. I've been whacking it on 7-8 thinking this is like high heat on a gas burner, but it isn't. It's weird getting used to the cooking method, because the pan heats so evenly, so I don't need to wiggle things about.

That being said, any induction cooking tips? Or is it just a case of trial and error?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

bartlebee posted:

I always put parchment paper on mine, so rust doesn't really matter :effort:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bartlebee posted:

Scotchbrite or steel wool on the rust spot with a bit of water, then rinse away any debris. Dry thoroughly. I’m not sure if you’re supposed to season those things but it wouldn’t hurt to coat it in a very thin layer of light, neutral oil and pop it in the oven at 350*F for an hour.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lawnie posted:

Scotchbrite or steel wool on the rust spot with a bit of water, then rinse away any debris. Dry thoroughly. I’m not sure if you’re supposed to season those things but it wouldn’t hurt to coat it in a very thin layer of light, neutral oil and pop it in the oven at 350*F for an hour.

This is a good procedure. you can bake it or just heat it on stove for a bit to let the oil polymerize

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and most importantly, don’t fret about it too much. Just clean it well once and cook on it regularly.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Anyone have any recipes for marinating tofu for bbq? I'm pressing some extra firm tofu now, think some sort of bbq sauce/vinegar/garlic/chilis/whatever spices seem good

For grilling, don’t use fresh tofu. Freeze it first.

Take a block of firm or extra firm tofu. Slice it in half vertically, so that you have two slabs. Wrap tightly in cling film. Throw into the freezer for 24 hours. To thaw, pour hot water over the fuckers, until the plastic releases. Remove the plastic covering.

The tofus should now resemble a literal sponge. Squeeeeeeeeeeeze out the liquid and dunk into any sauce you like. Give it a gentle squeeze so it absorbs ALL THE SAUCE. No need to marinate, because the sponge like texture will grab as much sauce as it can take.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

dino. posted:

For grilling, don’t use fresh tofu. Freeze it first.

Take a block of firm or extra firm tofu. Slice it in half vertically, so that you have two slabs. Wrap tightly in cling film. Throw into the freezer for 24 hours. To thaw, pour hot water over the fuckers, until the plastic releases. Remove the plastic covering.

The tofus should now resemble a literal sponge. Squeeeeeeeeeeeze out the liquid and dunk into any sauce you like. Give it a gentle squeeze so it absorbs ALL THE SAUCE. No need to marinate, because the sponge like texture will grab as much sauce as it can take.

whoa crazy, never thought of doing this. Any flavor combos you like?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
On a whim, I bought a whole duck. What is the best way for me to prepare it? I was thinking sous-vide confit the legs and do something else with the breasts, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Related, can someone point me at how to break down the duck into breasts and legs? I don't want to totally ruin it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

TheCog posted:

I was thinking sous-vide confit the legs

Definitely this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bX1G-EASnM

TheCog posted:

do something else with the breasts

Orange Duck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15ua-qSqHMg

TheCog posted:

Related, can someone point me at how to break down the duck into breasts and legs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thu0Pqewbbo

Duck is delicious, and actually not that hard to work with at all. We should all be eating more duck.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
And then reserve the carcass, make a nice aromatic duck stock, and make some ramen or something with it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

prayer group posted:

And then reserve the carcass, make a nice aromatic duck stock, and make some ramen or something with it.

Reserve the fat, reserve the carcass, keep the dark meat. Make roux with the duck fat and stock with the carcass. Duck gumbo.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Last night I made my first batch of hummus along the lines of this recipe - https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/israeli-style-extra-smooth-hummus-recipe.html

I didn't want to make too much, so I started with about a liter. The only issue is I substituted Japanese nerigoma for the tahini, and now there's an overpowering roasted sesame flavor. I'll be adding juice from another lemon or two, but other than that and blending in more beans, do I have any good options?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Given the price of Japanese-style eel at my local asian supermarket, are there any decent fish substitutes I can use?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I have some jarred fra diavalo sauce and I wanted to make some linguine and shrimp with it.

If I have frozen shrimp, what’s the best way to do this?

I was thinking of thawing them and then either just putting them in the sauce and bringing to a simmer until the shrimp are cooked through, or to sauté them separately and then put on top of the sauce.

Suggestions?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mongoose posted:

Last night I made my first batch of hummus along the lines of this recipe - https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/israeli-style-extra-smooth-hummus-recipe.html

I didn't want to make too much, so I started with about a liter. The only issue is I substituted Japanese nerigoma for the tahini, and now there's an overpowering roasted sesame flavor. I'll be adding juice from another lemon or two, but other than that and blending in more beans, do I have any good options?

I've had two previous batches: one too garlicky (for others :sigh:) and another too salty. First thing I tried is letting it chill overnight. Flavors mellowing saved the garlicky one. The salty one got a bit better overnight but "diluting" with extra beans, lemon and tahini saved it for me. So first give it a day, then add more beans and other ingredients to balance it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

nwin posted:

So I have some jarred fra diavalo sauce and I wanted to make some linguine and shrimp with it.

If I have frozen shrimp, what’s the best way to do this?

I was thinking of thawing them and then either just putting them in the sauce and bringing to a simmer until the shrimp are cooked through, or to sauté them separately and then put on top of the sauce.

Suggestions?

I’d sauté the salt/peppered shrimp on one side, flip, toss in a clove or two of minced garlic. When the shrimp are just cooked, take ‘em out, heat the sauce up and toss the shrimp back in for a minute to warm back up.

Spoon sauce into pot with pasta to finish it. Serve up the pasta, top with shrimp and spoon a little sauce over each one.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

whoa crazy, never thought of doing this. Any flavor combos you like?

Mustard, vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, bit of soy sauce, smoked paprika, canola oil, and whatever herbs you like. I'll throw in a bit of rosemary and thyme. Thin it out with a bit of water, and give it a hit with a blender. If you want a bit more flavour, you can replace the water with white wine if you like. If there's a jarred BBQ sauce or marinade you like, that works too.

If you want to go super rich, I like going the Thai route: ginger, garlic, shallots, the white part of scallions, a touch of sugar, lemon grass, red bird's eye chilies, a good bit of coconut milk, vinegar, and lime zest. Add some coriander, cumin, some fenugreek seeds, and whole dried chilies. Toast in a pan until the seeds are fragrant. Take the pan off the heat, and dump in a good bit of turmeric, and stir. Then dump the whole mix into a ceramic bowl (to cool down the mix quickly), and stir. Grind in a coffee grinder, and put a couple spoons of the spice blend into the marinade. Thin out the sauce with a bit of water, and chuck that sucker in the blender. When serving, dump on some toasted sesame seeds, a spot of sesame oil, and some fresh lime juice. Garnish with scallions, chives, or finely chopped basil.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mister Facetious posted:

Given the price of Japanese-style eel at my local asian supermarket, are there any decent fish substitutes I can use?

The kabayaki sauce is a lot of the flavor and works with any fish. Unagi is pretty fatty so another fatty fish is good, or just this catfish I do a lot and like: https://www.justonecookbook.com/catfish-kabayaki/

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

The kabayaki sauce is a lot of the flavor and works with any fish. Unagi is pretty fatty so another fatty fish is good, or just this catfish I do a lot and like: https://www.justonecookbook.com/catfish-kabayaki/

A friend's family owns a Vietnamese restaurant and they have a catfish dish like this that is my favorite thing on the menu. Most places I go, I will order something different every time I'm in to just try things, but every time I go to her mom's place, I'm getting that crispy-sweet-umami catfish.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Grand Fromage posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I get a side of eel sauce w my broiled yellowtail ribs instead of ponzu and it's dope

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I blistered a container of cherry / grape tomatoes last night and accidentally left them out all night. Safe/unsafe to eat?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bartlebee posted:

I blistered a container of cherry / grape tomatoes last night and accidentally left them out all night. Safe/unsafe to eat?

Safe.

Usually you don't want to refrigerate tomatoes anyway if you're going for Max flavor.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I take that to mean that they roasted them, so they'd be cooked (and then left out). If they're cooked then it's more suspect. Personally I'd pitch them, since they're fairly liquid.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah, I roasted them. I just wanted someone to lie to me and say to keep them. I guess it's only two bucks lost.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

They're fine unless you're immunocompromised

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

They're fine unless you're immunocompromised

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I bought a whole pound of red miso paste at the grocery store the other day, and now I'm not quite sure what to do with it, apart from the odd cup of miso soup.

Does anyone have any favorite recipes that use red miso paste?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

DasNeonLicht posted:

I bought a whole pound of red miso paste at the grocery store the other day, and now I'm not quite sure what to do with it, apart from the odd cup of miso soup.

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-jacques-pepins-broiled-salmon-with-miso-glaze-223887

also, miso never goes bad, and you can do things like portioning out a bit and covering garlic cloves with it, then letting that sit and ferment

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

miso never goes bad

This. I have a thing of miso paste from.... 2 years ago. Still going strong for some kick rear end miso soup whenever I want.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
My favorite thing to do with miso is take about a cup of it and put it in a small saute pan, and smooth it out. Then I drizzle w canola oil and put in convection at 450 for 10-15 minutes until the surface is thoroughly charred. Then it goes into a Vitamix w 12 egg yolks and 2 cups of sugar and blended until smooth. Whisk into a half gallon of cream.

Then make ice cream.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

pile of brown posted:

My favorite thing to do with miso is take about a cup of it and put it in a small saute pan, and smooth it out. Then I drizzle w canola oil and put in convection at 450 for 10-15 minutes until the surface is thoroughly charred. Then it goes into a Vitamix w 12 egg yolks and 2 cups of sugar and blended until smooth. Whisk into a half gallon of cream.

Then make ice cream.

This read was a wild ride.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Qubee posted:

Bought an induction cooktop, it is amazing. But drat am I burning everything because I'm so not used to the insane amounts of efficiency this thing has, so my pan heats up ridiculously quickly. It has 10 power settings, and most stuff fries perfectly around setting 3 or 4. I've been whacking it on 7-8 thinking this is like high heat on a gas burner, but it isn't. It's weird getting used to the cooking method, because the pan heats so evenly, so I don't need to wiggle things about.

That being said, any induction cooking tips? Or is it just a case of trial and error?

I went induction 5 years ago and can never go back to coiled. Some random tips:

-Use the right size pan for the burner. If you use a small pot on the largest burner, the stovetop might not detect enough steel and turn off automatically.
-Place a paper towel under your skillet. The paper towel won't burn (it may brown a bit), and it will save your glass top from scratching.
-Some skillets will make an electric-sounding buzz when cooking. This is okay.
-Learn to tweak heat like with a gas grill. As with gas (and very unlike electric coils), the heat will go up and down very quickly with an induction cooktop.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If I want my lemon curd to set up firm enough to cut instead of spread, should I take the temp up a little higher, or cut down on the lemon juice a little or both?

I’m leaning towards less juice and add a little a little citric acid to keep the right sourness level. I’m worried that cooking it hotter will bring out some of the sulfur flavor from the yolks.

If anyone has advice I’m all ears.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

If I want my lemon curd to set up firm enough to cut instead of spread, should I take the temp up a little higher, or cut down on the lemon juice a little or both?

I’m leaning towards less juice and add a little a little citric acid to keep the right sourness level. I’m worried that cooking it hotter will bring out some of the sulfur flavor from the yolks.

If anyone has advice I’m all ears.

My first thought is pectin or gelatin.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bagheera posted:

I went induction 5 years ago and can never go back to coiled. Some random tips:

-Use the right size pan for the burner. If you use a small pot on the largest burner, the stovetop might not detect enough steel and turn off automatically.
-Place a paper towel under your skillet. The paper towel won't burn (it may brown a bit), and it will save your glass top from scratching.
-Some skillets will make an electric-sounding buzz when cooking. This is okay.
-Learn to tweak heat like with a gas grill. As with gas (and very unlike electric coils), the heat will go up and down very quickly with an induction cooktop.

The electric buzzing tip was really helpful. This entire time, most of my pans make that noise, and I'm always standing waiting for it to shatter or explode or something. I thought it was some non-ferrous atoms being vibrated against their will that would eventually cause the pan to suddenly crack. Scary poo poo.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Qubee posted:

The electric buzzing tip was really helpful. This entire time, most of my pans make that noise, and I'm always standing waiting for it to shatter or explode or something. I thought it was some non-ferrous atoms being vibrated against their will that would eventually cause the pan to suddenly crack. Scary poo poo.

I installed one before I used one and was convinced I had broke it, agreed

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

DasNeonLicht posted:

Throw a big spoonful of it in anywhere you want to add a bit of salt and umami complexity. Turn that cream sauce into a miso cream sauce. Elevate the chicken salad, escalate your pepper/mushroom stuffing, or integrate it into a batch of stir fry. It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

DasNeonLicht posted:

Miso caramel sauce