Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Pps should I breathe in THEN out? Or is it in then in again?! Pls hlp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

Many OTC medications in the US are prescription-only in Japan. Some are also OTC at very high prices, and shops are only open 9am-8pm.

Deodorant, too. American-strength deodorant is not widely available yet. If in doubt, double up.

Yeah medicine is one area where the US and Japan are just wildly different and literally nothing will work the way you think it should and your best course of action is to just avoid it entirely.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

My recommendation for you personally would be to stop altogether, but you might want a second opinion.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BB2K posted:

lol you went to the bar famous for gaijin hunters and chatted up salarymen? LIVE my good man

"gaijin hunters"? Japanese trying to pick up foreigners or something?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bofast posted:

"gaijin hunters"? Japanese trying to pick up foreigners or something?

don't get excited, it doesn't mean you.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

don't get excited, it doesn't mean you.

I'm just curious what exactly it means, friend :)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Johnny Truant posted:

:allears:

If you know you're running out now get more in advance, are you serious Pollyanna

Bitch I’m already in Montreal :cry:

Stringent posted:

Confident and wrong, trust me you 100% want to bring any drugs you'll want to take while you're here with you.

Yeah, I’m hosed. I’ll ration what I have, which should be enough for two weeks.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Bitch I’m already in Montreal :cry:

Yeah, I’m hosed. I’ll ration what I have, which should be enough for two weeks.

Jfc Pollyanna

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Problem solved by mom actually since she’s coming a few days later. Drug mule time :drum:

This concludes your hourly Pollyanna update.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

google posted:

Baking soda is a good treatment for immediate relief from occasional acid reflux. The recommended dosage for adults is 1/2 teaspoon dissolved in a 4-ounce glass of water. It's best to sip this drink slowly to avoid side effects like gas and diarrhea.

Baking soda should help tide you over. Seems to be 重炭酸ソーダ according to wikipedia. You do not want baking powder (ベーキングパウダー or 膨らし粉) because your goal is to use the baking soda to neutralize the acid and baking powder contains a dry acid to react with the baking soda in it.

If that isn't enough on its own and you're having an unpleasant time as a result, google also says that the ranitidine or whatever also has antihistamines so anything with a decongestant or advertised for allergies could potentially help. Allergy is アレルギー. For dosage since you don't know Japanese it's probably best to limit yourself to one of the allergy pills every 24 hours.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or pharmacist.

Pollyanna posted:

Problem solved by mom actually since she’s coming a few days later. Drug mule time :drum:

This concludes your hourly Pollyanna update.

Or you could fix the problem in a less convoluted way, that works too

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 13, 2019

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

"Help my sperg mother couldn't cope with taking a plane by herself and I'm dying from indigestion"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can get chalk at Daiso and chew on sticks of it like an animal.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You don’t eat chalk?

Dad’s flight from New Orleans got turbofucked do now he’s definitely coming way later than me. This is gonna be fun!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

You don’t eat chalk?

Dad’s flight from New Orleans got turbofucked do now he’s definitely coming way later than me. This is gonna be fun!

https://www.amazon.com/natural-Edible-chunks-Russian-Sevryukova/dp/B01N7MESWU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

You don’t eat chalk?

Pica Pica

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
hey guys i'm at the train platform but i'm not sure if i'm supposed to wait behind the yellow line or on the tracks please help i just heard the train horn

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Always wait on the tracks, you don't want to miss the train.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
哀れなポリアンナの父、蟻を考えて死んだ

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

.Z. posted:

For Kyoto:
-L'Escamoteur (Bar at Takase river)
-Iyemon Salon(cafe by Suntory tea)
-Tamakitei Bakery

Thank you friend!

Flooger
Dec 26, 2004

peanut posted:

Deodorant, too. American-strength deodorant is not widely available yet. If in doubt, double up.

I couldn't find the American style stuff at all in the small town I was staying in. I had only brought a travel size thinking I could just buy some when I got there, and I was there for the entire month of June. By the time I left I know I stunk, the Japanese deodorant didn't do poo poo for me.

BRING DEODORANT

Edit: I was working in a factory with no air conditioning too, I know I had to smell like a loving pig the last week or 2.

Flooger fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 13, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

omg

worst case frequent use of alchohol wipes can reduce the stank a little

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah, Asians literally have different sweat glands (exceptions apply) so Japanese deodorant is terrible.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
That's interesting. As a Chinese American I've never really used deodorant.

Bringing another topic in:

https://thecupandtheroad.com/2016/09/26/tokyo-subway-day-pass-ticket/

Is that all day metro pass a good deal? It sounds like the value is good, especially if we're hopping from place to place, but the lack of JR lines is concerning. Can you get by okay without the JR lines?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Yeah, Asians literally have different sweat glands (exceptions apply) so Japanese deodorant is terrible.

So they claim. Having spent several summers on Asian public transportation, I can assure you they also stink. But they don't use deodorant and so The Funk is Strong.

arisu posted:

Is that all day metro pass a good deal? It sounds like the value is good, especially if we're hopping from place to place, but the lack of JR lines is concerning. Can you get by okay without the JR lines?

Having to avoid the Yamanote sounds like a giant pain in the rear end.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Grand Fromage posted:

So they claim. Having spent several summers on Asian public transportation, I can assure you they also stink. But they don't use deodorant and so The Funk is Strong.

When you're with so many people, you're likely to have exceptions around you. But genetic differences in this respect is pretty clear. You're right, though, in that the end effect is that public transport basically stinks.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4724538/

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I use really hardcore american deodorant, that clear gel stuff in a stick that you slather on like spackle. I ran out halfway though my most recent two week trip in march (just threw it in my bag without checking how much was left) and had to buy japanese deodorant despite hearing horror stories of it not working. I got 8X4 "smart citrus", it's a liquid that uses a roll applicator. It actually worked fine and I'm still using it here in the US till it runs out

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

arisu posted:

Just use a Pasmo or Suica. It also means you don’t have to find the one ticket gate that still takes tickets.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

arisu posted:

That's interesting. As a Chinese American I've never really used deodorant.

Bringing another topic in:

you're going to wind up saving $10 in fares in exchange for not having access to any JR lines

i hope you have comfortable shoes

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Always wait on the tracks, you don't want to miss the train.

Wouldn't waiting on the tracks greatly inconvenience the train staff and passengers? It's a tough choice, really.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a grain of truth to this though. When there's an odd warm day in winter when it gets up over twenty degrees ppl will still be rocking their heavy down coats and none of them sweat.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Phone posted:

you're going to wind up saving $10 in fares in exchange for not having access to any JR lines

i hope you have comfortable shoes

We could always just get a Suica card and do JR that way but at that point it seems like more of a pain than it's worth, so thanks guys. I think we'll just do Suica after all.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

mikeycp posted:

hey guys i'm at the train platform but i'm not sure if i'm supposed to wait behind the yellow line or on the tracks please help i just heard the train horn

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Look Pollyanna thanks for sticking around even if we are giving you so much poo poo (rightfully)

You are sooooo hosed that I just want to help.

Post your complete itinerary here and we can help you fine tune it. Sure as heck beats WHERE CAN I GET GHIBLI TICKETS all the time.

Give me all your travel dates and which hotel you guys are staying

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The idea what even if a foreign country has the meds you want, you don’t want to go through the hassle.

You sure as hell can miss a train or even miss a plane. But if you miss your dosage you are hosed.

That’s why you see warning signs of IF YOU TRAVEL WITH MEDICINE.

Oh and get travel insurance

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

On the other hand, didn't some high-ranking Toyota executive get arrested then shitcanned for bring her meds to Japan

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zmcnulty posted:

On the other hand, didn't some high-ranking Toyota executive get arrested then shitcanned for bring her meds to Japan

she was smuggling them by having her dad put oxycodones into toy necklaces or something

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
It’s a bit weird. Like everything says pseudoephedrine is strictly prohibited, you can’t bring it into japan under any circumstances. But you can just buy it off the shelf from any pharmacy in country.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah I don't know the details of the case. Was just thinking it may be more complicated than a blanket "bring your meds, period"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Most meds you can bring up to one months personal supply as a tourist without further bureaucracy, just there are a few types that doesn’t apply to. Mostly stimulants iirc.