Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

Long Day is kicking my rear end

Hobo on Fire posted:

Focus on air to ground. Fighters are worth lots of points, but dogfighting can be really time consuming. The helo base in the northeast is similarly troublesome since so many targets are shielded by cliffs - you spend too much time lining up shots and not enough actually shooting.

Easiest way to go is to start by turning left and attacking the big airbase - hit the F-16s as they are taking off if you can, so they won't bother you in the air. There are also some bombers sitting on the ground that are worth big money, but they will take off and disappear if you let them, so prioritize them over ground vehicles and buildings. After that, head west. Knock out truck convoys on the way, then hit the supply base. Once you've cleaned up there, then head back towards the helo base. Blow up as much as you can with the time/ammo you have left. The return line is right there and you are allowed to use it, but getting there eats up time so put it off until you are out of missiles.

Honestly I found it easier to focus on air-to-air - with the caveat that, as you say, don't get sucked into a turning battle. Break off and fire missiles at the unsuspecting guy watching you instead. Of course, I did it in the F-14 with LAAMs, which make it easier to take out targets well outside the normal "AI starts panicking" range. Harriers and helicopters in particular are sitting ducks, as are those bombers on the tarmac. Agreed on the order of operations, though.

The nice thing about air-to-air SP weapons in any of the airbase assault missions, is that they can target planes on the ground without you having to cycle through the clutter of surface targets.

Part of it is, for me, I find I have a tendency to target fixate and CFIT against ground targets. It's not so much a problem getting the kills in time as it is I just keep crashing the goddamned plane. Focusing on other planes helps ameliorate that.

The other thing is, I think the A-10 is a trap in this game. There's lots of ground to cover and not much time to do it in, so the faster you can get your rear end from one side of the battlefield to the other (or across the return line and back), the better.

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Long Day is kicking my rear end

Skip the helicopter base. Use a multi-target missile as your special weapon (targets tend to be too scattered for bombs to be efficient). Don't forget that guns do damage too, so strafing runs can be effective, moreso if you've gotten the machine gun radar upgrade (don't know exactly when it first becomes available, so you might not be there yet).

If you're flying something that can dogfight, the MQ-99s can be a good source of points late in the mission. Same with other aircraft. In general, aircraft are more points than ground targets. Following this logic, when you first approach the airbase, kill anything trying to take off. The F-16s and the bombers can help run up your score, and if you get them while on taxi/climbing, no dogfighting them.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Psycho Landlord posted:

The only good helicopter mission is in the final stretch of AH and it's so good it makes up for the first three or four of them pretty handily

it is in fact excellent and makes me go ????? that they hosed up the earlier one. Like it's proof that they knew how to make a good helicopter mission and just ... didn't for the first one? because reasons?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

I don't disagree with any of this - especially the bit about the A-10. Speed is incredibly important in Ace Combat games. I hadn't really considered fixating on a ground target and eating dirt - I like flying low and fast, so it isn't a problem for me, but I can see how it could be for others, especially those new to the franchise. Not knowing what they have for planes or SP weapons, I wanted to give a more general outline.

The key is you need to focus on getting from kill to kill as quickly as possible. Aircraft are worth lots of points, but dogfighting takes time; if there are more convenient targets, go after them instead. Ground targets are worth less points, but they usually only take a single missile to kill, and they can't dodge your shots - so the points add up quickly. Switch between SP weapons and regular missiles when the other is on cooldown, and as Warmachine said, don't forget you have a gun too.

edit: Fuel tanks are great targets for your gun. They're fragile and will create a secondary explosion that will destroy anything close to them - and yes you get the points for those too.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 12, 2019

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Over the last few months I've had a 180 degree change of heart about the A-10 (in Ace Combat and IRL) and sometimes I still feel dirty about feeling this way, but I'm now cursed with knowledge :(

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Phy posted:

I think it's Count that even calls out how bullshit that is. "What are those things made of?!"

Speaking of invincibility, in Mission 18, can you only splash two of Sol Squadron before the rest stop taking damage? I think I only ever managed to bag two of them before the Mihaly cutscene, and the two that are left after it (Wit and Seymour) are blatantly invincible afterwards.

e: Re: Pixy, takes 18 missiles in total (or damage equivalent), six per phase. I never figured out if he was supposed to have his EM shields on during the whole fight and he becomes vulnerable from the front only after he drops his SP weapons, or if he's supposed to be soaking the hits to the weapons Mihaly-style during the first two phases and turns the shields on after he dumps them. I suspect it's the former, because he's still using Zero's AI and Jousting Is Effective, particularly during his laser phase, and of course he can't be shot down then no matter how many sidewinders you cram down his gullet.

The Falken he's in has sci-fi electronic countermeasures, not an energy shield. I think that the idea is that only two of the missiles you fire throughout the entire fight actually connect.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Psion posted:

it is in fact excellent and makes me go ????? that they hosed up the earlier one. Like it's proof that they knew how to make a good helicopter mission and just ... didn't for the first one? because reasons?

maybe it's good because we learned from the bad ones before it?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hell yeah Long Day down!

e: oh no

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Hell yeah Long Day down!

One of us, one of us.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

verbal enema posted:

Hell yeah Long Day down!

Welcome to Spare Squadron :getin:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I beat the storm mission first go! Then i slightly adjusted my ps4 and the power cord popped out! 6 planes slams into walls later i went to bed gently caress!!

That mission is the one im going to show my buddy since he hasnt seen ANY of the new Ace Combat

also how do i dodge the lightning? I use cockpit view mostly so i kinda just like get zapped outta nowhere

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As far as I know the lightning sometimes just happens and sometimes you’re just hosed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You have to fly directly into the lightning and then launch a missile before landing on the- wait wrong thread

Yeah it's just a random thing to make life difficult on the rare occasions when you have to fly into thunder storms.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Well its badass so i can live with it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just realized, I don't think anybody ejects in this game. Everyone rides their bird right into the ground.

At least it makes sense for Spare Squadron, that dingleberry McKinsey isn't going to be paying for working ejector seats.

verbal enema posted:

Well its badass so i can live with it

Is like a description of the entire game.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

In AC5 Chopper tried to eject.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The end bosses eject :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao the plot is that the uav shoots down Mother Goose 1 but my missile actually missed the drone I was aiming for and I actually did kill Harling

Whoopsies

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 13, 2019

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Everbody Ejects unless said otherwise Strangereal has the Safest Ejection Record in the world

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also demonstrated multiple times by AC5 is that you can eject and not have any medical problems whatsoever. Gentlest ejection in the world.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
Even a dog can safely eject. I think.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
forgot about the dog in the cutscene lmao

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kibayasu posted:

As far as I know the lightning sometimes just happens and sometimes you’re just hosed.

It just tilts your nose down so you can use autopilot to level back out or just start pulling up with the stick.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

turn off the TV posted:

It just tilts your nose down so you can use autopilot to level back out or just start pulling up with the stick.

When it hit me it scrambled my HUD

Was i unlucky 3 times that round?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was completely scripted or a weighted roll to get hit every x minutes past a certain point. You could likely work out a pattern if you play through it a few times.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Just stay above the clouds and use your LAAMs and SAAMs. Boom done, no lighting and Phoenix sniping is a blast. If you're fighting fair, you're clearly not winning

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao that the Osean operation not only fails to save Harling but the other carrier explodes but not before warcriming a city a few dozen times by mistake, so this set of missions ultimately had the outcome of two separate carriers sucking and losing, two cities getting blown up some (I definitely shot way more than just those trucks and drones), and no matter what the plot says I blew up the former president on accident. :bravo:

Starting to see how Etrusea occupied apparently the entire continent in about five minutes now

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

One time it hit me right as I was flying over one of the rocks. I had no chance.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

RBA Starblade posted:

Lmao that the Osean operation not only fails to save Harling but the other carrier explodes but not before warcriming a city a few dozen times by mistake, so this set of missions ultimately had the outcome of two separate carriers sucking and losing, two cities getting blown up some (I definitely shot way more than just those trucks and drones), and no matter what the plot says I blew up the former president on accident. :bravo:

Starting to see how Etrusea occupied apparently the entire continent in about five minutes now

I dunno, like sure Osea lays down a pretty heavy hand, but at least they're realistic about what war is: dirty, nasty, and violent. Erusea are always the ones that seemingly just go "We have all this tech that makes wars clean, no civilians ever get killed by us, no sir!" while they're also prepping plasma weapons on loving IRBMs with a CEP of probably like, I dunno 2,000 meters? Also if you want to talk warcrimes the Eruseans literally conduct military airstrikes from civilian ships and vehicles, and almost allowed humanity to be destroyed by AI because "Golly gee with our super clean warfare this can just go on forever, no big deal!" Osea is realistic and knows that only way to actually end a war is by getting your hands dirty as gently caress, and ending it quickly through the violence of action. loving Erusea, eurotrash monarchists.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just thought it was funny how the warcrimes went from 0 to 60

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

verbal enema posted:

When it hit me it scrambled my HUD

Was i unlucky 3 times that round?

It messes with your hud, but that doesn't actually do anything other than mess with your hud. You can still lock onto targets/fire missiles/maneuver like normal.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

turn off the TV posted:

It messes with your hud, but that doesn't actually do anything other than mess with your hud. You can still lock onto targets/fire missiles/maneuver like normal.

Oh i didn't know if i got hit hard or something

I didnt even notice it drop my nose down!

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

turn off the TV posted:

Wait, what? I'm pretty you can only keep lock during the brief periods where the hud sort of recovers. If it's totally scrambled the missile dumbfires. Exception if you're using gunpods/lasers I guess.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

turn off the TV posted:

Incorrect there. I replayed that mission a couple of days ago and it about spiked my aircraft 90 degrees down. Barely was able to recover without slamming into the ground.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

As far as I can tell from actively trying to get struck by lightning, it'll point your nose as far down as it feels it can get away with without putting you in a situation where you can't pull back up in time. Which I suppose is pretty generous of the game.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I replayed the mission last night and i got hit HARD by a lightning strike like full second and a half of pure white screen and it dropped my nose like 45 degrees

Again it was badass

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm going to jump into some MP after work to celebrate the launch of irl Arsenal Bird

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-14/plane-with-worlds-longest-wingspan-takes-off-for-maiden-flight/11001402

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

gently caress I really wish they did something fun or unique with MP, it’s just not fun. Good for quick cash though

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Lmao the plot is that the uav shoots down Mother Goose 1 but my missile actually missed the drone I was aiming for and I actually did kill Harling

Whoopsies

lmao this was the best in my Guns Only playthrough. MG1 eats a missile and everyone pins in on Trigger, meanwhile Trigger just gonna be like, "Check the missile count on my plane." :chord:

verbal enema posted:

forgot about the dog in the cutscene lmao

:staredog:

Julius CSAR posted:

I dunno, like sure Osea lays down a pretty heavy hand, but at least they're realistic about what war is: dirty, nasty, and violent. Erusea are always the ones that seemingly just go "We have all this tech that makes wars clean, no civilians ever get killed by us, no sir!" while they're also prepping plasma weapons on loving IRBMs with a CEP of probably like, I dunno 2,000 meters? Also if you want to talk warcrimes the Eruseans literally conduct military airstrikes from civilian ships and vehicles, and almost allowed humanity to be destroyed by AI because "Golly gee with our super clean warfare this can just go on forever, no big deal!" Osea is realistic and knows that only way to actually end a war is by getting your hands dirty as gently caress, and ending it quickly through the violence of action. loving Erusea, eurotrash monarchists.

Don't forget causing (part of) a Kessler Cascade. There's still a ton of questions about what the heck LEO looks like in Strangereal right now. I'm curious how Nagase's ship was able to get to the harbor, or how the harbor was even still functional with a shitload of ballistic debris flying around up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Warmachine posted:

lmao this was the best in my Guns Only playthrough. MG1 eats a missile and everyone pins in on Trigger, meanwhile Trigger just gonna be like, "Check the missile count on my plane." :chord:

:staredog:

Don't forget causing (part of) a Kessler Cascade. There's still a ton of questions about what the heck LEO looks like in Strangereal right now. I'm curious how Nagase's ship was able to get to the harbor, or how the harbor was even still functional with a shitload of ballistic debris flying around up there.

The anchor point of an orbital elevator would be waaaaay higher than LEO.