Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The idea of doing a light/dark/true path sounds good on paper but boy did it turn out to be a mistake in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 23, 2021

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Honestly if Izana had just joined you here the game would have improved by leaps and bounds.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Whamukars posted:

I like how Dvac is just bothered by the fact that the dragon is not hot

I just found this thread and well, make fun of Chome's dragon form all you want, but I think they're going for a qilin/kirin kind of look with the horns and all. You know, because of its Asian themes and all. I found it weird at first, too, before I made that connection, but now I kinda appreciate that they added that as a touch.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Is that Takumi? Why try to sell Takumi merch? He's the worst in all respects, even if you like those template personalities they all have!

I think he was universally reviled when Fates first launched? And then as time went on, he started growing on a portion of the playerbase (he was also a very popular meme target for whatever reason, which probably helped his popularity, but be warned that they're very spoiler-ific if you seek them out). The interesting thing is that he's very polarizing -- fans either absolutely adore him or utterly despise him -- and I think there's a similar thing going on with Camilla as well.

And that's the inherent flaw in these popularity polls. Characters who are generally well-liked, the 7s in everyone's books, are never going to receive any votes because there's always a character they like better. On the other hand, the polarizing characters are either 0s or 10s, and the (no matter how small) subset of 10s will always get their voices heard and votes counted. It works for merch, too, because fans won't buy merch for the 7s. They will buy merch for their diehard favorites.

Anyway, Conquest was my first FE and I really loved the map/level design, at least the early levels. I used to enjoy going to fansites and seeing everyone poo poo on Fates and I'd feel sad and I kept going back because I'm a masochist like that (also see: Lunatic Classic as my first FE, because 'I can always turn down the difficulty, but I can't ever turn it up' (and then never actually did)). I think I actually liked it more because everyone was making GBS threads on it. Now that the hate's died down quite a bit recently (Reddit's even starting to say some positive things about it), I've started finding myself feeling much more lukewarm about it. So! I'm absolutely ecstatic that this LP exists to bring back all the Fates-making GBS threads. Maybe I'll even fire up the game again.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: new video :frogsiren:
Ep 16 - Ninja Village

good amount of skits in this one if thats your thing

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've never not acted on a hastily declared thread title request made in a video before and I don't plan on starting not doing that now.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Thread title is extremely accurate

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 12, 2019

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

I've never not acted on a hastily declared thread title request made in a video before and I don't plan on starting not doing that now.

it's perfect

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I like how you suggested that Setsuna is good at archery

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
The units shown when you pushed the icon with the swords are from your online team, I'm pretty sure. Basically irrelevant.

Aside from that, it's really bothering me how you're blitzing the story without even stopping to do supports. Granted, I'm sure there're people who can manage both, to an extent, but I have the dual inflictions of "always get sidetracked" and "completionist" mentalities so I'm psychologically incapable of moving on after recruiting someone until I have maxed all their supports (and the only thing keeping me from immediately grinding everyone to 20/20 is experience shortages making that impractical until around the 20th story map). I have other reasons, admittedly, but that's probably the biggest one.

Also, as already stated I second the "Setsuna is worthless even at archery" opinion inthesto implied.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CptWedgie posted:

Aside from that, it's really bothering me how you're blitzing the story without even stopping to do supports.

by "doing supports" do you mean doing those invasion and challenge missions to grind?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Kuvo posted:

by "doing supports" do you mean doing those invasion and challenge missions to grind?

More or less. Yes, I know, it's plainly not necessary to beat the game on the difficulty you're playing (as proven by how you've made so much progress into it without stopping already); it's probably more of an issue of differing approaches to the game, as previously mentioned. Please don't feel pressured to change how you play (too much, at least- I've probably posted too many character growth rates to not have influenced who you use at least a little) just because someone with OCD and previous experience with the game (e.g. me) is acting up in the background; for most people, I'm pretty sure part of the entertainment value of blind runs is seeing the players' reactions to the in-game developments, and I don't want to ruin that by holding your proverbial hand.

Incidentally, if aforementioned growth rate posts are bothering you, I can stop (or at least put them in spoilers to make them easier to ignore). I just wanted to give a bit of a reason for WHY I think some units are terrible, I guess.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
so far the difficulty hasn't been an issue but i guess i could do some of the challenge/invasion stuff off camera (or recorded and sped up) to get peoples support levels up, if only for the skits.

also feel free to continue posing about the characters stats, just realizes that its not going to stop me from picking "bad" characters

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Invasions are slightly different, so that might be worth doing on camera once, but challenges are 100% unremarkable and exist solely for you to grind. I'd recommend doing them completely off camera, if at all.

However, I will say that you are entirely on track to having dipshit incompetent children and it's gonna rule.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Kuvo posted:

so far the difficulty hasn't been an issue but i guess i could do some of the challenge/invasion stuff off camera (or recorded and sped up) to get peoples support levels up, if only for the skits.

also feel free to continue posing about the characters stats, just realizes that its not going to stop me from picking "bad" characters

I kinda disagree with a lot of what CptWedgie said wrt gameplay advice, so yep, you just do your thing.

He seems laser-focused on growth rates which I don't fully agree with (without seemingly giving *any* consideration to base stats). On the other hand, the FE 'powergaming' community seems to value base stats to an obsessive degree. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle and entirely dependent on your playstyle. So yeah, really, don't worry about it. Just use your favorite dudemans, or better yet, your least favorites because it's more fun to watch you poo poo on them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's not something you have to calculate but its pretty handy to have on hand at least so you get why despite her muscles Rinkah's only gained three strength in the last 8 levels.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

facepalmolive posted:

I kinda disagree with a lot of what CptWedgie said wrt gameplay advice, so yep, you just do your thing.

He seems laser-focused on growth rates which I don't fully agree with (without seemingly giving *any* consideration to base stats). On the other hand, the FE 'powergaming' community seems to value base stats to an obsessive degree. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle and entirely dependent on your playstyle. So yeah, really, don't worry about it. Just use your favorite dudemans, or better yet, your least favorites because it's more fun to watch you poo poo on them.

I don't mind characters with high bases and low growths at all, actually; I just haven't really been commenting on bases because their stats are RIGHT THERE. And I'm sure you can agree that "unimpressive bases + bad growths = bad unit" (which is my primary complaint about Setsuna, Subaki, and Hinata). Which probably sounds overly defensive, but whatever.

And I'd say the 'powergamers obsessing over bases' thing is partly to ditch the underlevelled (and thus underpowered) characters faster, and partly RNG-proofing their teams.

Anyway, it's pretty obvious that they plan to use whoever they feel like using at the time (which, from what I've seen, seems to have a significant percentage of "whoever's lowest-level") no matter what anyone says... which I actually applaud them for; it's their playthrough, so who are we to tell them who to use or ditch?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The optimal build is to constantly shoot rats at the enemies.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The real question is do we want all our mages to shoot rats or should they all get their own spirit animal niche

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Part of the reason the "powergamers" value bases so much is that (nearly) every game is beatable with 0% growths. That means characters gain levels and weapon xp, and promotion gains, but their stats never otherwise go up naturally.

Fates in particular is balanced more on skills and weapon attributes than actual stats which is why the 2 servants are some of the most broken units in the game with minimal investment.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The objectively best way to play any fire emblem game is to pick a favourite character and feed them every stat booster you can possibly get to make them insanely strong.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Gluten Freeman posted:

The objectively best way to play any fire emblem game is to pick a favourite character and feed them every stat booster you can possibly get to make them insanely strong.

Thats basically what I did with Nephenee back in the Ike games.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
For better or worse, Radiant Dawn introduced an alternative method of levelling which could be min-maxed to some frankly absurd extents at times, and whatever else you might say about it, it did provide a big incentive to be liberal with your stat boosting items rather than doing the usual thing of saving them all for the very end of the game.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 13, 2019

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Fedule posted:

For better or worse, Radiant Dawn introduced an alternative method of levelling which could be min-maxed to some frankly absurd extents at times, and whatever else you might say about it, it did provide a big incentive to be liberal with your stat boosting items rather than doing the usual thing of saving them all for the very end of the game.

I'm convinced that the growths of most of the characters in Birthright were scribbled down on a notepad for Radiant Dawn but never got used.

Because seriously, look at Setsuna, Hinata, and Subaki.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've often felt Fates took the concept of the "Christmas Cavs" to an absurd degree. On the Hoshido side it feels like you have Christmas Ninjas, Samurai and Pegs. Nohr gives you the Christmas Cavs of course, and Mercenaries and Dark Mages. You're even given Christmas Jeigans in a way with the two servants.

I guess in a sense Setsuna and Takumi could be considered Christmas Archers, but it fails miserably with Setsuna more so than any of the others. She's fast at least and can tank a mage.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Sgt Thud posted:

Thats basically what I did with Nephenee back in the Ike games.

Nephenee was my favorite in the second one because she turned out amazingly above-mediocre in every way.

3-front defense mission? Stick Nephenee alone on a choke point and it's now a 2-fronts while she alone diligently pokes away at the hordes on the other side of the map. Not killing them especially fast, dodging everything or blocking all damage. But also all three competently enough that you didn't really need to worry about it either.

Which I found refreshing in a game that loves to hand you god-tier units to the point you wonder why even bother building up the base squad.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

BioMe posted:

Nephenee was my favorite in the second one because she turned out amazingly above-mediocre in every way.

3-front defense mission? Stick Nephenee alone on a choke point and it's now a 2-fronts while she alone diligently pokes away at the hordes on the other side of the map. Not killing them especially fast, dodging everything or blocking all damage. But also all three competently enough that you didn't really need to worry about it either.

Which I found refreshing in a game that loves to hand you god-tier units to the point you wonder why even bother building up the base squad.

What's this 'mediocre Nephenee' you speak of? She's a death machine just a tier below Ike and Haar and has one of the Danger Mario skills built right in. Radiant Dawn's real issue was that the Dawn Brigade existed.

Also Fates is really bad and everyone involved should have been fired immediately for participating in it, especially the double outsourced support translation team

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frog: new video
Ep 17 - Ninja Village (part 2)

35 mins of me being mad that everyone is bottle-necking each other while standing on spike traps, and then hot springs

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 15, 2019

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Kuvo, 20minutes in posted:

I hate this map so much

Welcome to Ninja Hell! Everyone who plays this gets to have this shared trauma! But you also get Takumi, who I'm surprised got so little reaction from you guys. He's not doing 30+ damage "because he's level 10" but "at /only/ level 10". It's nuts.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

booksnake posted:

Welcome to Ninja Hell! Everyone who plays this gets to have this shared trauma! But you also get Takumi, who I'm surprised got so little reaction from you guys. He's not doing 30+ damage "because he's level 10" but "at /only/ level 10". It's nuts.

Yeah, but Takumi is a loser.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If you didn't bring Azura along, you can beat the gently caress out of Takumi and he'll still join afterwards. You just don't get to use him for this map.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I love Setsuna because all of her skits are essentially just her being bad at everything and not caring ever. Girl just doesn’t give a gently caress. I’m pretty sure one of her win quotes when she kills a dude is “wow” or “yay” in a very bored, sleepy tone.

Basically she has an attitude I can relate to when I think about Fates, which is not caring about anything.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Takumi is loving busted.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kind of sad you turned off combat, I enjoyed watching it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hopefully by chapter 18 Kuvo will accept using the pair-up mechanic since moving 12 people constantly gets on his nerves for the last 5 maps.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kind of sad you turned off combat, I enjoyed watching it.

Yeah, the one thing Fates has is that it's got nice animations and more than 6 classes to watch too.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
this should be in here

https://twitter.com/BeamSplashX/status/1117993354246139905

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 18 - To The Sea

the shipping episode

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 22, 2019

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Kuvo posted:

Ep 17 - Ninja Village (part 2)

35 mins of me being mad that everyone is bottle-necking each other while standing on spike traps, and then hot springs

Yeah, mechanically speaking, Takumi makes Setsuna entirely redundant; he's got better bases (though I can't be bothered to do the math on how an average level 11 Setsuna would compare) and MUCH more workable growths (50% HP, 35% Str, 0% Mag, 60% Skl, 40% Spd, 45% Luck, 35% Def, 20% Res), on top of which he's got a ridiculously powerful exclusive weapon just to rub her uselessness in. He's annoying as hell, unfortunately, but at least he's a pretty good archer even without his overpowered weapon.

Also note that, if the AI calculates that it can get a kill, it will do so. No exceptions. I'm pretty sure they'll even ignore anyone that can't fight back if they can kill someone else in range but not them. Yes, the AI is specifically programmed to spite you.

Let's see, Takumi did 32 damage to an enemy with 2 defense, which means he was doing 34 base damage. 13 of that comes from his Strength stat, +14 from the Fujin Yumi, +1 from his C-rank Bows skill (these three making up his displayed 28 Attack), and +4 from the Quick Draw skill (which only works when you initiate the attack). My best guess on the other 2 points is weapon triangle, but looking it up seems to disagree.. Can someone else finish explaining this?

Felicia healed herself by activating the Live to Serve skill, for the record. I don't really use it myself, but that's mostly because I tend to overlevel.

Fun fact: At least on this difficulty, the boss can't even use that Kodachi, so you just need to worry about his shuriken (which tries to trick you by reversing the weapon triangle).

That's right, Oboro, make sure Takumi is bored for the rest of his life!

Again: This game does not explain itself, which is probably its biggest problem.

The Travelers' Plaza is for the StreetPass function, and can thus be ignored (or removed entirely if you want).

Not gonna comment on the next video yet; I barely got through this one.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Fun fact, the town of Cheve is named after famous Nohrian comedy actor Chevy Cheve

Chome has never been the same since we got the hot springs. He has spent so much time in the hot spring he permanently looks like a lost member of the California Raisins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm glad you finally looked up figured out what gems do

Be sure to check out the Dragon's Gate!