Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haha, like half the reason I didn't make a video was cause I'm happy with my avatar

a good chunk of the rest is that I just would have captured running my song through Winamp with Milkdrop on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Haha, like half the reason I didn't make a video was cause I'm happy with my avatar

a good chunk of the rest is that I just would have captured running my song through Winamp with Milkdrop on

Yeah I like my av too (I mean who doesn’t?)

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Huh, that did not turn out how I was expecting. Do any of the video entrants actually want a new avatar?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah I like my av too (I mean who doesn’t?)

I always have to remind myself of the context for your avatar, and it never helps. That's why it's great.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Jonny Nox posted:

Hey, this video needs several million more views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcbpRMZIQ8g

I thought I had found it on SA, but can't find the thread it was in.

Thank you for this; it made me discover this awesome album from 1982

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN8M2irJVJA

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Nox posted:

Hey, this video needs several million more views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcbpRMZIQ8g

I thought I had found it on SA, but can't find the thread it was in.

This is the first I've heard of it and it's very much my jam. Watching it now, thanks!

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

i like cassettes and what you all are doing with Boner Jamz so i did a thing:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m completely in love with this Volca Drum. I’ve been playing with it all night. I feel like an idiot jumping into my first drum machine but I’m finally figuring out the workflow and how to sequence etc. it’s addicting! Now I just need to figure out how to get better at sound design. I’ve edited some of the presets but I have no clue what I’m doing really. That’s the fun of it thought really. Uncharted sonic lands and such.

Thanks for talking about it itt and saving me $150 compared to the Drumbrute I was looking at :)

CRAYON posted:

Oh my goddddd this rules

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey do any of you know of a good, very introductory tutorial for FL Studio? Got a nephew who’s trying to figure it out. I’d teach him myself but I’m on the other side of the world l

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m completely in love with this Volca Drum. I’ve been playing with it all night. I feel like an idiot jumping into my first drum machine but I’m finally figuring out the workflow and how to sequence etc. it’s addicting! Now I just need to figure out how to get better at sound design. I’ve edited some of the presets but I have no clue what I’m doing really. That’s the fun of it thought really. Uncharted sonic lands and such.

Thanks for talking about it itt and saving me $150 compared to the Drumbrute I was looking at :)

You’ll get a Drumbrute or something similar eventually. Black Friday’s just 7 months away!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

CRAYON posted:

It's beautiful. :swoon:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CRAYON posted:

does this mean i'm now officially a musician

those own :swoon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CRAYON posted:

This is loving incredible, and if you do it for the next one, there's no way I'm missing out. I don't even care if I don't have a copy of my own, I want to be on a cassette like that :eyepop:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, I'm really tickled by that too.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Those cassettes own. Makes me sad I didn't get my submission done in time but the end of the month really hit me hard from both work and other things. I will not miss out on the next one and would totally pay money to get a copy of that cassette.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Those cassettes own. Makes me sad I didn't get my submission done in time but the end of the month really hit me hard from both work and other things. I will not miss out on the next one and would totally pay money to get a copy of that cassette.

:same:

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Well drat thanks for all the kind words. Those two cassettes were just me messing with making j-cards. They don't even have labels and are just recorded on Maxell UR 90s.

The next step is to check into buying some colored cassettes and figuring out how to print labels, or print on the cassette. I plan on doing that eventually just for practice, but I will also look into making a tiny run of them for the thread if enough people are interested. Maybe like 15 - 20 of each?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
you should make a few extra and plant them in the cassette bins of your local goodwills/thrift stores

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Wow, such top notch goon creativity on show here. Fantastic stuff, you all own. :h:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

you should make a few extra and plant them in the cassette bins of your local goodwills/thrift stores

I agree, do this.

Also wouldn’t mind getting a copy myself.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

CRAYON posted:

We've all been Boner Jammd. Thank you so much.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

CRAYON posted:

I plan on doing that eventually just for practice, but I will also look into making a tiny run of them for the thread if enough people are interested. Maybe like 15 - 20 of each?

I'm interested.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean, sure I'm interested, but shipping's gonna kill it, and it would be silly considering I don't have a tape player. :v:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Oh well, we’ll do more of these

Kilometers Davis posted:

Not that I ever finish projects but I would love to break it in with another collab or something soon.

:allears:

HotCanadianChick posted:

now what are we gonna do for 4/20 this year?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So that Alesis drumkit that I found on the curb is the nearly $800 model (https://www.amazon.com/Alesis-Comma...ps%2C177&sr=8-2)

Geeeeez. I will fully participate in Boner Jamz next year. Or maybe a new competition? One every 3 months or 6 months?

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

BonoMan posted:

So that Alesis drumkit that I found on the curb is the nearly $800 model (https://www.amazon.com/Alesis-Comma...ps%2C177&sr=8-2)

Geeeeez. I will fully participate in Boner Jamz next year. Or maybe a new competition? One every 3 months or 6 months?

Niceeeeeeee

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BonoMan posted:

dunno about anyone else but I can get a boner multiple times a day :ohdear:

but srsly though, one of my youtube channel ideas is for a band that wrote, rehearsed, and then performed a new song live in a new video on youtube every week, but finding a couple other folx willin to commit to 2-4 practice and performance sessions a week while they still work day jobs just to get the idea off the ground and build an audience is just terrible

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
A fun little webpage I found:

BeepBox

quote:

BeepBox is an online tool for sketching and sharing chiptune melodies.

All song data is packaged into the URL at the top of your browser.

Very simple and yet deep interface

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey do any of you know of a good, very introductory tutorial for FL Studio? Got a nephew who’s trying to figure it out. I’d teach him myself but I’m on the other side of the world l

SeamlessR has a metric fuckton of tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGYoE903Nir5-wvI5ipGZMS6AYD1Le_iu

Here is the part I don’t get though - boatloads of 15-year olds figure out FL Studio in a very short time. It’s what generates all these dubstep and EDM starlets. I always figured that this was something kids would pick up naturally. Youtube is positively flooded eith FL Studio tutorials.

FL and me are not good friends. I won’t talk poo poo about it (some people who have been using Serious Real Man’s DAWs for decades are very salty about FL and call it a toy). It has a very respectable feature set, but it’s pretty much incomprehensible to me.

Also the included plugins could really use a graphic overhaul.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
In high school I somehow made a song featuring a sample of my friend saying "I want someone to have anal sex with me" using Fruity Loops. I somehow managed to chop up the sample and do all sorts of stuff. I don't know how I did it and if I were to open Fruity Loops now I would be lost.

What I'm saying is that I peaked in high school.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
FL isn't much different than any other DAW. It's my main DAW, but I also have Ableton and Reason. You know one, you know them all. It's mostly about workflow. Not sure about the graphical overhaul of the plugins, maybe they used to be bad looking.

The only exception I've found is Renoise. It's a technically a tracker, but has all the modern DAW furnishings.

Here is a more recent tutorial. This guy has piles of them, and generally who I started with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDIsEZsalAo

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 12, 2019

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I've only been using FLStudio for a couple years, yet I don't remember learning it.

I remember watching "what's new" videos before I started with it, I remember learning Reaper and Ableton Lite.

It's just weird is all I'm saying.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rifter17 posted:

In high school I somehow made a song featuring a sample of my friend saying "I want someone to have anal sex with me" using Fruity Loops. I somehow managed to chop up the sample and do all sorts of stuff. I don't know how I did it and if I were to open Fruity Loops now I would be lost.

What I'm saying is that I peaked in high school.

When I got my first laptop, a 2007 MacBook, in the summer between high school and college, I made an entire album of joke tracks for my friends in GarageBand. Took me all of 72 hours and I’d never really used it before or since.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

the only joke projects i did were in 2008 when we discovered songsmith through that awful microsoft ad, and my vocal performance friends would sing at the computer until it decided if what they sang was blues or reggae. i still have those in my Project file archive, along with the stuff i actually tried at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGFogwcx-E

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
There a kickstarter going for a new small poly synth that looks really rad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06GUI1wQW5o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFFfVQGISrE

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1304489933/buzzzy-the-digital-polysynth

For that price I don't think you can find more features packed in a single box today

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 12, 2019

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the suggestions y’all!

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

CRAYON posted:

Well drat thanks for all the kind words. Those two cassettes were just me messing with making j-cards. They don't even have labels and are just recorded on Maxell UR 90s.

The next step is to check into buying some colored cassettes and figuring out how to print labels, or print on the cassette. I plan on doing that eventually just for practice, but I will also look into making a tiny run of them for the thread if enough people are interested. Maybe like 15 - 20 of each?
You are indeed awesome - been a crazy few weeks (hence making zero headway on volume 2) and seeing this was one of the highlights.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

the only joke projects i did were in 2008 when we discovered songsmith through that awful microsoft ad, and my vocal performance friends would sing at the computer until it decided if what they sang was blues or reggae. i still have those in my Project file archive, along with the stuff i actually tried at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGFogwcx-E

I find joke projects hard because they hit the same decision paralysis as serious ones for me, or they become a time rabbit hole I feel bad abandoning. Exceptions were things I knocked out in an afternoon.

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 13, 2019

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

CRAYON posted:

I can teach you how to silkscreen on the tapes, you just gotta build a jig and use epoxy type screen ink.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/12/18306461/solar-powered-art-pioneer-works-alex-nathanson-energy-photography

Synthgoons this article and the attached links have me all inspired to make poo poo. Like what about a solar powered “sunchime” that makes drones or plays samples or runs a tiny generative softsynth or whatever? Maybe you program/tune it to certain scales and then pop it in your yard or in your window and listen to it make bleeps.

Or maybe something like an album/jam hosted online that only becomes available/functional when the sun’s out...

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
You might get a kick out of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5izFWTZu0f8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Well, after years of avoiding this particular temptation (but not, y'know, generally avoiding GAS), the MiniBrute 2/2S + RackBrute bundle deal got me to dip my toe into eurorack:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/892096

(Maths is on order and I should have it next week; everything else is either in the rack or waiting to be installed)