Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think the censorship on Narancia's arms is the funniest part of that.

I can't see it as anything other than Narancia's Winter Outfit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
We can't have anybody suspect these boys. might be homosexuals.

Ironically, covering up Narancia's body makes him look more effeminate and not less.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Still thinking about the image of a bloodied Doppio holding the frog to his ear with the King Crimson's second face coming out of him

you're just not gonna get poo poo like this anywhere else

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all according to keikaiku (translator's note: doppio means double)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Someone please gif the second time the "phone" rings and you can see doppios lips making the sound. It looks so hilarious.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder how powerful Koichi's Echoes Act 1/2 would be if he started using words from Finnegan's Wake?

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JbpXT0Bw_U

Scalp window: ✅
Cleavage window: ✅
Window to my soul: ✅✅

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Trish Squad

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I kinda wish Giorno interacted with Trish more. Both of them being the child of a major villain whose goal was to get rid of the bloodline that threatened them does give them something in common.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I kinda wish Giorno interacted with Trish more. Both of them being the child of a major villain whose goal was to get rid of the bloodline that threatened them does give them something in common.

Giorno has no idea whatsoever about his biological father. He can't talk about DIO much because no one in the team, himself included, know anything about DIO.

Even if they did talk you need a personality to have interesting interactions and that's also something Giorno doesn't know.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
I love the detail that the fortune teller's tarot cards are the same that Avdol used in Part 3/that appeared in Walk Like An Egyptian.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Blaze Dragon posted:

Giorno has no idea whatsoever about his biological father. He can't talk about DIO much because no one in the team, himself included, know anything about DIO.

He has a labeled photograph of dio in his wallet

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

dad dio so what

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

somepartsareme posted:

He has a labeled photograph of dio in his wallet

That just means he knows what Dio looks like. He probably ain't know about the vampire or the other man's balls.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I don't know if it's because I was extra hype this week for Doppio or what, but Traitor's Requiem is finally growing on me as an OP.

Still think those title cards that flash at the end look pretty hokey, though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Araki has a real talent for writing compelling villains, I was a little worried about the boss since he wasn't living up the scenery chewing insanity of Dio or the twisted entitlement of Kira but now I'm invested

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm really liking how the boss is so hands-on with things that threaten him. Like yeah, he has minions to do his bidding, but he's a firm believer in "If you want something done right, you got to do it yourself." It makes him both such a paranoid bastard and a nice contrast to DIO chilling out for most of Part 3.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Was Mista’s left arm like that in whatever official art this was based on?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

amigolupus posted:

I'm really liking how the boss is so hands-on with things that threaten him. Like yeah, he has minions to do his bidding, but he's a firm believer in "If you want something done right, you got to do it yourself." It makes him both such a paranoid bastard and a nice contrast to DIO chilling out for most of Part 3.
I think it's more he's so paranoid he can't have anyone else do it

To be fair, he had a lot of betrayals recently.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

amigolupus posted:

It's not that, it's that he can't send anyone else or they might find out about him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CJ posted:

It's not that, it's that he can't send anyone else or they might find out about him.

Yeah he does not even trust his Elite Guard with most of this stuff.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Also the insane way Bossu handled the handover for Trish from golden wind was because he didn't want to trust anyone else with the handover and also didn't want to be seen by Bruno.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0hooKOW5Mo

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

comedyblissoption posted:

Also the insane way Bossu handled the handover for Trish from golden wind was because he didn't want to trust anyone else with the handover and also didn't want to be seen by Bruno.

He should have had Doppio do it instead, he would have at least let Bruno leave before trying to kill Trish

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 14, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

overmind2000 posted:

He should have had Doppio do it instead, he would have at least let Bruno leave before trying to kill Trish

wasn't the whole problem that you could tell Trish and the Boss were related just by looking at them together?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

overmind2000 posted:

He could have also told Bruno to send Abbachio and killed the both of them before loving off.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

trish probably would have sensed something was odd because part of their whole 'deal' is that they can tell they're related to each other just from presence alone. family ties are pretty big in the series, after all. and beyond that there's an immense amount of reasons as to why bruno would get hugely suspicious right off the bat, one of the primary ones being 'literally who the gently caress is this dude when not even pericolo was this close and pericolo is now dead due to shooting himself to protect the secret'

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Why couldn't his instructions have been: "leave Trish in the empty room and then leave"

Also, I know I read all of this part ages ago, but I didn't even remember Doppio existed.
Actually, when the anime started I think the only things I remembered were narancia's plane, and the gimmick of an exceptionally bizarre stand fight later on.

Aside from concern for my long term memory it's fun for everything to basically be new at least.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

animatorZed posted:

Why couldn't his instructions have been: "leave Trish in the empty room and then leave"
Maybe he was paranoid they would try to set a trap if he did that or scheme to put a tracking beacon there or something, so better to just take trish unexpectedly.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I posted way back when we were about 3-4 episodes in saying that I thought that this series had had one the strongest openings yet and that if the momentum continued that I could see this becoming one of my favourite parts. Unfortunately I felt that it didn't really keep that momentum and I was starting to feel a bit ambivalent about this season but I think this episode might have turned things around a bit again. Definitely the best episode so far.

I think my enjoyment of JoJo depends massively on the strength of the primary antagonist which is why I am the only person in the world that ranks part 1 as my second favourite part. Dio Brando is far more compelling than DIO imo. I love what a petty little poo poo he is especially at the start. DIO just, kinda stands around looking menacing for 30 loving episodes doing nothing, or at least that's how it felt to me.

My personal ranking that no one gives a poo poo about : 4>1>2>5>3

4 has a similar thing to 5 where it doesn't really introduce the main villain until about halfway through the series but I liked the slice of life shenanigans and general vibe. Also when Kira did get introduced drat, he is a good villain. If Doppio/Diavolo can reach the heights of Kira then 5 could well start to move up the list again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kuno posted:

Dio Brando is far more compelling than DIO imo. I love what a petty little poo poo he is especially at the start. DIO just, kinda stands around looking menacing for 30 loving episodes doing nothing, or at least that's how it felt to me.

No, I've mentioned I feel the same way. DIO has more iconic and memorable moments in Part 3, but he was definitely a better overall character two parts earlier when he was learning how to be a villain and adapting to the things Jonathan threw at him rather than being the final boss that shows up, meets Joseph and Jotaro for the first time and doesn't profoundly impact either of them or get impacted by either of them. They're just kind of like "Wow, this DIO guy is an rear end in a top hat" which was the basis of their journey anyway.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

comedyblissoption posted:

Maybe he was paranoid they would try to set a trap if he did that or scheme to put a tracking beacon there or something, so better to just take trish unexpectedly.

I think with all the recent betrayals he wanted to test Bruno's loyalty. Based on how he reacts to Trish dying in front of him, the boss would know if he is the type of guy who follows orders without question, or at the least, can be intimidated into doing so.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dio Brando is better by far, and maybe the best villain the series ever had. DIO just plays off of what we knew about him from part 1.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's a lot easier to like Dio than DIO because they're written in completely different ways. Dio is basically the deuteragonist of Part 1, the focus is on him growing in evilness, going from a petty rear end in a top hat to a very dangerous vampire with dreams of world domination, just as much as it is on Jonathan growing from just a good boy to a genuine hero and gentleman. DIO is just the big bad of Part 3, he has no space to grow, his development's done, and he exists to be fabulous and dangerous.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like DIO as an evolution of Dio and what his new goals and priorities are. He's finally awoken and back on land and immediately fucks off to the desert to get away from the ocean, and this starts his conversations with Enya and wish to conquer fear itself. Being trapped for a century truly did affect him and The World really is a blessing to him. With this, in his mind, rightful union of himself and the one person he cared about in the world, DIO is free to seek this dream of true inner peace, one that The World allows him to have. The chapter titles of DIO's World are not only referring to the Stand, but the world of stopped time where he's completely safe. DIO also might see himself as a savior, he see him preying off the fear of Kakyoin and Polnareff's hearts to get them with the fleshbud so they too can quiet any fear in their hearts, just artificially.

I agree that DIO doesn't really do much in Part 3, but I think his change is more interesting than some give credit for, I couldn't write even a basic post like that about any of the Pillar Men

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 14, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
How come nobody lists Akira Otoishi in their ranking of villahaahahah,

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

I like DIO as an evolution of Dio and what his new goals and priorities are. He's finally awoken and back on land and immediately fucks off to the desert to get away from the ocean, and this starts his conversations with Enya and wish to conquer fear itself. Being trapped for a century truly did affect him and The World really is a blessing to him. With this, in his mind, rightful union of himself and the one person he cared about in the world, DIO is free to seek this dream of true inner peace, one that The World allows him to have. The chapter titles of DIO's World are not only referring to the Stand, but the world of stopped time where he's completely safe. DIO also might see himself as a savior, he see him preying off the fear of Kakyoin and Polnareff's hearts to get them with the fleshbud so they too can quiet any fear in their hearts, just artificially.

I agree that DIO doesn't really do much in Part 3, but I think his change is more interesting than some give credit for, I couldn't write even a basic post like that about any of the Pillar Men

A fair point. I just wish he had a bit more presence than looming menacingly in his pajamas for most of the arc.

trucutru posted:

How come nobody lists Akira Otoishi in their ranking of villahaahahah,

It still boggles my mind that his reason for killing Okuyasu's brother was to steal the Stand Arrow in order to shoot two rats before putting it into his room and never using it again. :psyduck:

He's an entertaining minor villain, though.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It still boggles my mind that his reason for killing Okuyasu's brother was to steal the Stand Arrow in order to shoot two rats before putting it into his room and never using it again. :psyduck:

He's an entertaining minor villain, though.

Akira works as a villain because he's what someone with a very powerful Stand would do if they had no direction or ambition in life other than to gently caress around with their newfound power. He's refreshingly small-time as befitting someone from a town like Morioh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like that Akira's plan to kill Joseph is to crash a plane into him.