Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If he had a good name, the movie wouldn't have had the running joke of the kid trying to name him :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Splint Chesthair posted:

I found out today that after calling him "Captain Thunder" didn't work, CC Beck wanted to call the character "Captain Marvelous." His editor went back and shortened it in all the word balloons in Whiz Comics #1. I guess "Marvelous" is still too close for comfort as a trademark, but surely that's better than saying "gently caress it, he's just called Shazam! now?" I'm constantly befuddled by DC's inability to solve that problem with the character. Just needed to get that off my chest, BSS, hi.

Captain Marvelous is a fantastic name. It's also taken.

Of course what makes it so good is that it's not his superhero name. His superhero name is Gokai Red. Captain Marvelous is just his name.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 11, 2019

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Shazam's a better name than Captain Thunder.

Hard disagree, but it's a moot point. They could have gone the Mick Anglo route and renamed him Captain Miracle.

Teenage Fansub posted:

If he had a good name, the movie wouldn't have had the running joke of the kid trying to name him :)

It doesn't have to be a great name, I just want him to have his own name again instead of everyone calling him by his catchphrase.

This is how John Byrne feels all the time, isn't it?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Hopefully you feel less racist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
John Byrne spends at least 5 hours of each day screaming in his empty house about why it isnt fair that he cant use the N-word.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

John Byrne spends at least 5 hours of each day screaming in his empty house about why it isnt fair that he cant use the N-word.

Rhyno posted:

Well then I guess this isn’t how John Byrne feels exactly.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I know it's easier to just throw the easiest punch whether it's accurate or not, but John Byrne does not wish to call anyone racial slurs. He just imagines that it feels the same way for a black person to be called slurs, as he feels as a pro when he hears someone say word bubble.

quote:

There are lots of people who call them word bubbles? There are lots of people who call black people “niggers.” Are both terms “right”? You seem to have missed the rather important point that my response indicated roughly the same percentage of fans and pros use the improper terms for various elements of what we do—but that percentage does not approach a balance. It is not that roughly half say “balloon” and half say “bubble.” It is that some say “bubble” and they are wrong.

quote:

Um...in point of fact there are plenty of people who use the word “friend of the family” because that is the word they use, not because they imagine it has any negative racial connotations. That’s precisely why I chose that word as my illustration.

I also don't think that he's a murderer, a Nazi, and I do not believe John Byrne has ever attempted to overthrow a sovereign nation. He's still a cranky old shitbird, but I don't know if I feel like going JOHN BYRNE? THE MOTHERFUCKER WHO KEEPS TRYING TO STAGE A COUP IN NORWAY TO KEEP THEM FROM HAVING EXCELLENT POST-NATAL CARE? is useful either.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The second quote is the exact kind of shallow excuse that racists give when they believe they are allowed to call people what they want, so point proven?

And just lmao at the idea of comparing a racial slur to calling a comic book drawing the incorrect word.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
it's me, the comic book man who suffers the same as black people being dehumanized when someone calls a balloon "word bubble"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
that John Byrne guy sucks

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

This sums it up.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Gripweed posted:

Agreed.

Rhyno posted:

This sums it up.
Sure, which is why I am confused by

Rhyno posted:

This does not seem accurate, even in a fun hyperbolic "kidding on the square" level. THis is not "John Byrne isn't racist, how can you say that?" as much as "why are you misrepresenting like the eighteenth most problematic thing when there's so much else out there"

Samuringa posted:

it's me, the comic book man who suffers the same as black people being dehumanized when someone calls a balloon "word bubble"
See, this sums it up better! His use of "The N-Word" came as part of a thoughtless and callous metaphor that shows an overwhelming sense of solipsism and disinterest in people other than him. He's the guy who will try to console you about your sibling overdosing or your parents dying in a car accident or your friend getting murdered by going "that's really rough, I remember when my dog Snuggles had to be put down. I mean, I was off in college when my parents put him down but I know exactly what you're going through and let me tell you, I got out of bed and went to work the next day so I don't see what you're falling apart about!" He's the guy who (literally, read his FAQ) makes things like the Space Shuttle Challenger exploding or earthquakes ravaging Japan or Princess Diana dying or 9/11 about him, because he had either recently published or was about to draw stories involving Space Shuttles, earthquakes, or princesses dying when these real-life events took place, and isn't that weird and upsetting?

Through that lens of self-importance and downgrading anyone else's experiences compared to John Byrne's (why be sad that Christopher Reeve died, he's not a HERO, I've always thought horseback riding is stupid and dangerous!) and yes, comparing comic book shop talk lingo to systematic dehumanization and oppression is incredibly stupid and disrespects entire races of people and does in fact make him racist. But doesn't make

Rhyno posted:

any less dumb, unless this is a "if your anger is righteous just say whatever about anyone, gently caress them, facts are trash" argument in which case awesome go blow some minds.

Samuringa posted:

The second quote is the exact kind of shallow excuse that racists give when they believe they are allowed to call people what they want, so point proven?
By arguing that people shouldn't be able to call things whatever they want -- even if other people use that term -- he is arguing that people should be able to call things whatever they want?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been saying hyperbolic things about Byrne being a douche for a long time. He has said rotten things about many people, I don't know why he would be defended.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is a weird thing to be pedantic about.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

John Byrne posted:

Personal prejudice: Hispanic and Latino women with blond hair look like hookers to me, no matter how clean or “cute” they are. Somehow those skin tones that look so good with dark, dark hair just don’t work for me with lighter shades.
Truly, the words of a man with no racial biases.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I've been saying hyperbolic things about Byrne being a douche for a long time. He has said rotten things about many people, I don't know why he would be defended.
Cool, so you are legitimately taking the position of "if the person is bad who cares about facts or hyperbole facts are trash, JMS is a child molester and I am righteous in saying that because he's been a douche about other things! I can't believe someone would defend him." line of reasoning? Just the sort of attitude I'd expect from a guy who spent weeks sweatily stalking the streets of Long Island looking to murder me.

This is a comic book forum and people on a comic book forum extend this sort of shades-of-gray benefit of the doubt to literal fiction supervillains all of the time. People generally seem to grasp that some supervillains -- while criminals and usually evil people -- are not rapists, or Nazis, or mass-murderers, or whatever else, and praise stories that distinguish villains and their codes, or complain when the logic of a story seems to be "they're criminals, so of course they are down with Nazi death camps and/or the extermination of the human species!" without devolving into "oh so you're defending Norman Osborn? You think he's a cool good guy? You love when he murders innocent women? Uh huh." Which I guess is more nuance than we can handle for actual human beings who make comics.

Jordan7hm posted:

This is a weird thing to be pedantic about.
Facts matter? If that's pedantry then great, I'm being pedantic as balls. John Byrne probably burned down those churches in Louisiana. John Byrne is involved with human trafficking. John Byrne murdered Benjamin Banneker. I hope no one pedantically defends this racist! I get it that this is a cool low traffic chillout forum and not Twitter or anything important but the one part of the "they go low we go high" philosophy I actually agree with is in terms of making arguments rooted in facts and not just making poo poo up?

CapnAndy posted:

Truly, the words of a man with no racial biases.
Good thing no one is arguing that he isn't a racist!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sir, this is a McDonald's drive thru

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

site posted:

Sir, this is a McDonald's drive thru
I haven't been to a McDonald's in about twenty years but I don't think your level of effort or contribution would pass muster next to a fast food picture menu, so this is bad news if true.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

One of my favorite bits of comic book pettiness ever had to be Bendis writing an embittered ex-member of the Powers' universe's JLA/Avengers as a very thinly veiled John Byrne. He looked like him, and he behaved like him too, spending all day on a fan site's message board arguing with people.

There was also the "Ego the living planet" thing, but that was WAY less subtle.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean is anyone really surprised Edge engages in pointless pedantry.

That’s like half his gimmick.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
E&C has a point, Byrne has produced enough appalling posts and blurbs and stuff that one can very easily prove that he's a tedious, self-absorbed racist without making stuff up. And really the hyperbolic stuff is never as bad as his actual textual footprint so why bother?

That being said I think litigating precisely which type of racist John Byrne is is not that compelling a hill to die on. At best, on the basis of his own words, he's racially tone-deaf and too narcissistic to care to an extent that I'd still feel comfortable calling Pretty Racist. He clearly does, to stick to the specific thing at hand, want to use racial slurs or at least feels entitled to use them, because he uses them twice in the quoted posts. Even if it isn't born out of a raging, vociferous loathing of minorities, it still comes from feeling detached from any ethical stakes in language, and a refusal to engage with empathy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Edge & Christian posted:

I haven't been to a McDonald's in about twenty years but I don't think your level of effort or contribution would pass muster next to a fast food picture menu, so this is bad news if true.

If you did you’d probably tell the drive through worker the history of the Big Mac, citing quotes from Ronald McDonald, and an obscure commercial that aired in the Mid West during the 1975 winter season.

I’d totally read a E&C fast food thread. I always appreciate a well researched post.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

E&C can be unpleasant and sometimes can't see the forest for the trees but I appreciate his neurotic research and seemingly unending knowledge of obscure comic book history. He is a valued BSS veteran.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I wish superhero comic books weren't so interconnected. I heard about this Cosmic Ghost Rider, and thought that sounds interesting maybe I'll pick up the first volume of that. But then I realized that I don't know if I can start there. Did Cosmic Ghost Rider actually start in an event? I know he was in Guardians of the Galaxy first, should I start there? But did the current run of Guardians of the Galaxy start in an event? It's a nightmare!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You only have to go back to Donny Cate's 2018 Thanos run where CGR debuted before the solo comic. The Guardians series with him in it (also by Cates) is only a few issues old.
I haven't ready any of it yet, so no idea if you should read the 'Infinity Wars' event to get into the new Guardians, but I'd guess not.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 13, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I wish superhero comic books weren't so interconnected. I heard about this Cosmic Ghost Rider, and thought that sounds interesting maybe I'll pick up the first volume of that. But then I realized that I don't know if I can start there. Did Cosmic Ghost Rider actually start in an event? I know he was in Guardians of the Galaxy first, should I start there? But did the current run of Guardians of the Galaxy start in an event? It's a nightmare!

At least Cosmic Ghost Rider is an easy one. The Hulk is my go to for completely terrible continuity knots in 2010's Marvel. A ton of different series, none of which line up with each other. Constantly changing status quos. Events regularly slamming things together. At least Immortal Hulk is great as a jumping on point with something radically different so it stands alone.

It could be worse, though. It could be pretty much any major character at DC.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cosmic ghost rider debuts in thanos 2018 issue 14, and is in till the end (#18 and the annual), then moves into his own 5 issue self titled mini, and is now in guardians and CGR destroys the marvel u

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

You can just ask here, like Cosmic Ghostrider is kinda a joke character, not someone designed to sustain his own ongoing series, and he's only existed for like a year. You would have been mostly fine if you just picked up the trade paperback titled Cosmic Ghostrider.

A good rule of thumb for event comics is that they are often terrible and you can usually just get away with reading wikipedia's summary.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

If you did you’d probably tell the drive through worker the history of the Big Mac, citing quotes from Ronald McDonald, and an obscure commercial that aired in the Mid West during the 1975 winter season.

I’d totally read a E&C fast food thread. I always appreciate a well researched post.

rotten.com used to have an encyclopedia section that sorta predated Wikipedia, with a more editorial bent on significant hosed up/humorous/transgressive/conspirational aspects of human culture and events of the 20th century. They had a Mcdonald's entry, and it was really fascinating, it was basically a hit piece. It talked about Tricky Dick's love of McDonald's (dude wrote a letter to Ray Kroc), Ray Kroc's general treachery vis a vis the McDonald Bros, the fact that McDonald's fired the first actor to play Ronald McDonald for being gay, the hot coffee lawsuit, etc.

Obviously getting it published would be difficult, but I wish someone would write a book length piece on just McDonald's. Fast Food Nation is there, but it's more generalized.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

I wrote an editorial for my high school newspaper titled Ray Kroc Uber Alles that started as an attempt to get some of my high school trips/teams/etc. to stop going to McDonald's for lunch/dinner because I didn't like it very much and I was told the only way I could get them to stop eating at McDonald's was if I had a religious or moral objection to stopping at McDonald's.

By the time I found this quote from the founder of McDonald's Japan

quote:

The reason Japanese people are so short and have yellow skins is because they have eaten nothing but fish and rice for two thousand years... If we eat McDonald's hamburgers and potatoes for a thousand years we will become taller, our skin become white, and our hair blonde.
I was surprisingly sincere about not wanting us to go to McDonald's for both taste and ethical reasons!

This was also right in the middle of the McLibel case in England and all of this contributed heavily to a young adulthood of being way too into the Invisibles, Douglas Rushkoff, Naomi Klein, etc. etc. etc.

I still have only patronized McDonald's once in this century, due to maritime emergency.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Founder starting Michael Keating is about the origin of McDonalds. It paints a bit more complicated picture of Kroc but I wouldn't say it's sympathetic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/EricaFails/status/1117159553022464000

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Holy moly Thanos War is super goddamn good.

Jim Starlin was the Real Deal in 1974.

I like how he got Englehart and Gerber on board for his wild ride too. Even got some nice panels out of Bob Brown.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Holy moly Thanos War is super goddamn good.

Jim Starlin was the Real Deal in 1974.

I like how he got Englehart and Gerber on board for his wild ride too. Even got some nice panels out of Bob Brown.

Wait until he continues his Thanos thread into Warlock and then Avengers. It's even better.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to figure out who the Marvel cartoonists were. The only ones I can think of right now (up to ~74) were loving lights out top of the game guys. These are guys who made magic every time they touched a page.

Ditko
Steranko
Starlin

Kirby got to do it on a handful of books before he left for DC, but honestly his writing wasn't great.

Everett got to write a handful of books late in his life. His art was kinda meh, but he introduced some liberal politics and I mean the guy was a legend so whatever.

Anyone I'm missing from this era? I feel like there's at least one more, I just can't remember who it is. He only got a handful of books, I remember it being weird that they let him get the full credits.

e: I thought maybe Larry Lieber, but Stan still got credits for a lot of the work he drew back in the Silver Age, so I dunno

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Looking it up it was only a couple of issues apiece, but at least according to Comic Book DB Wally Wood, Marie Severin, and Dick Ayers all got a few writing credits for stories they drew.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I went looking for Severin specifically because I thought she may have had a couple, but I didn't see them.

Guys like Colan, Ploog, and even Heck got a handful of stories, but I figure those were probably either fill ins because they had no other options, or just getting that one story out of someone who is clearly an artist first and foremost.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm trying to figure out who the Marvel cartoonists were. The only ones I can think of right now (up to ~74) were loving lights out top of the game guys. These are guys who made magic every time they touched a page.

Larry Lieber definitely wrote and drew some of his western stories throughout the 60's, so he counts. Stan Goldberg, of course, was a cartoonist in every sense of the word for Marvel with his work on all of the teen comedy books (Millie the Model, Katie the Teenage Tornado, Chili Pepper). Neil Adams was definitely a cartoonist, but I don't think he wrote any of his work at Marvel; he did at DC and then started his own company where he wrote and drew quite a bit.

It's always rare but it does become more common as time goes by with it really peaking in the 80's and 90's. Frank Miller, Walt Simonson, and John Byrne are probably the next big names to do this after Jim Starlin. I'm going to count Epic so Sergio Aragones would be one of the major ones who starting doing this at Marvel in the early 80's, too. The 90's brought in a whole host of writer/artists who you really wish wouldn't do one (or both) of those.

While it typically is artists who transition to writing, there are a few people who were writers that could also draw a bit but were too slow to do a proper series. Mark Gruenwald, for example, wrote and drew the Hawkeye miniseries from the early 80's.

As for Ditko's writing... if you think Kirby got rough when he moved over to DC, Ditko was downright dire. Remember that a major part of his break with Marvel was getting thoroughly radicalized with his politics and he brought it to his work there with things like Hawk and Dove.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 16, 2019

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fair enough... as you know I don’t pay much attention to the westerns or romance books.

I think Kirby got better when he moved to DC. His Marvel stuff was bad. Never much of a writer but by god the man could draw a story.

I looked for Adams but he hadn’t done much Marvel work at this point.

I’m definitely looking forward to guys like Miller and Simonson. There’s just something about cartoonist on Big 2 books that really does it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fantastic Four got a lot worse when Kirby left compared to Ditko and Spider-Man, but Kirby was also on FF a lot longer.