Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I think Oda wrote himself in the corner with how he defined logia/paramecia. Logia has to be "elemental" while paramecia can be well anything. It probably makes more sense to describe Logia as a subset of paramecia.

The three classes of devil fruit powers don't really describe all the varieties you see. Like Luffy's Gomu Gomu is paramecia and in the same class as Beta Beta (mucus power) even though they're very different. Also why one paramecia type fruit allows you to make the stuff while another fruit turns you into it (that dumb spring spring fruit).

Or how a sword can even eat a fruit! It's just easier to accept it and move on lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Lump posted:

I think Oda wrote himself in the corner with how he defined logia/paramecia. Logia has to be "elemental" while paramecia can be well anything. It probably makes more sense to describe Logia as a subset of paramecia.

The three classes of devil fruit powers don't really describe all the varieties you see. Like Luffy's Gomu Gomu is paramecia and in the same class as Beta Beta (mucus power) even though they're very different. Also why one paramecia type fruit allows you to make the stuff while another fruit turns you into it (that dumb spring spring fruit).

Or how a sword can even eat a fruit! It's just easier to accept it and move on lol.

It always baffled me when Enel says, "No, wait, he's a paramecia type, I've already seen the limits of his abilities," when paramecia types can have a vast set of abilities tied to one fruit. If there was any one category of fruit you couldn't say it about, it's paramecia. Definitely far more applicable to zoan types.

You get things like turn into a spring and then you get things like makes you stop aging, lets you turn people into dolls that have to follow your orders, and everyone who ever knew them forgets about them. The hollow fruit lets you make ghosts of different types that have nothing to do with being a ghost (like explode) and also ghost yourself. Etc. There are probably some better examples I'm not thinking of.

It is kind of funny to have: turn into elements, turn into animals, *everything else* as categories.

I like how Blackbeard's logia fruit doesn't have the one thing a logia fruit has above the other fruits, and additionally its main ability is basically equivalent to haki, which apparently everyone has anyway.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

A bit of a crosspost from the manga thread, but now that the Katakuri 'reveal' has happened, I'd been working on a Katakuri cosplay, and I got pretty decent feedback in the manga thread, so I thought I'd show off a bit. Katakuri has been my favorite OP character in a bit, so I tried to go the extra mile with the jacket and face mask thing.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
Looks good! I approve.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Shadow0 posted:

It always baffled me when Enel says, "No, wait, he's a paramecia type, I've already seen the limits of his abilities," when paramecia types can have a vast set of abilities tied to one fruit. If there was any one category of fruit you couldn't say it about, it's paramecia. Definitely far more applicable to zoan types.

You get things like turn into a spring and then you get things like makes you stop aging, lets you turn people into dolls that have to follow your orders, and everyone who ever knew them forgets about them. The hollow fruit lets you make ghosts of different types that have nothing to do with being a ghost (like explode) and also ghost yourself. Etc. There are probably some better examples I'm not thinking of.

It is kind of funny to have: turn into elements, turn into animals, *everything else* as categories.

I like how Blackbeard's logia fruit doesn't have the one thing a logia fruit has above the other fruits, and additionally its main ability is basically equivalent to haki, which apparently everyone has anyway.

Enel was super powerful but extremely ignorant of the world at large. He's one of those people who would've skated through the Grand Line and then gotten his poo poo thoroughly wrecked in the New World. Also,the main draws of Blackbeard's fruit seem to be shutting down other people's fruits completely as well as whatever it is that allows him to steal Devil Fruits.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

ThingOne posted:

Enel was super powerful but extremely ignorant of the world at large. He's one of those people who would've skated through the Grand Line and then gotten his poo poo thoroughly wrecked in the New World. Also,the main draws of Blackbeard's fruit seem to be shutting down other people's fruits completely as well as whatever it is that allows him to steal Devil Fruits.

Yeah, that's true.

I subscribe to the Cerberus fruit theory to explain that last part, which also explains a lot of other things about him. Not sure I need to spoil a theory, but I did and that's just the way it's gonna be.

Also, very excellent cosplay.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

A bit of a crosspost from the manga thread, but now that the Katakuri 'reveal' has happened, I'd been working on a Katakuri cosplay, and I got pretty decent feedback in the manga thread, so I thought I'd show off a bit. Katakuri has been my favorite OP character in a bit, so I tried to go the extra mile with the jacket and face mask thing.

you cosplayed as katakuri and didn't pose laying on your back eating donuts??

not bad otherwise

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Suspicious Lump posted:

Or Luffy somehow exerting more force midair. How does that work?! I've always assumed it's an anime thing done (badly) for suspense. Does this poo poo happen in the manga?

No, and it's actually kinda annoying as a manga reader who goes to the anime to see adaptations of favorite moments. The absolute worst offender of this was the King Kong Gun that beat Doflamingo. In the manga it reads as a split second nuclear-level strike that is on par with like, Whitebeard level of strength. Doflamingo puts up some defense that isn't even acknowledged. In the anime it's a struggle and makes Luffy look a lot weaker than he really is.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

you cosplayed as katakuri and didn't pose laying on your back eating donuts??

not bad otherwise

I didn't want to image spam too much

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

tbp posted:

No, and it's actually kinda annoying as a manga reader who goes to the anime to see adaptations of favorite moments. The absolute worst offender of this was the King Kong Gun that beat Doflamingo. In the manga it reads as a split second nuclear-level strike that is on par with like, Whitebeard level of strength. Doflamingo puts up some defense that isn't even acknowledged. In the anime it's a struggle and makes Luffy look a lot weaker than he really is.
Yeah I remember (maybe it was you?), someone pointing that out when the episode was released. What a disappointment. I think another example, way way back was Luffy vs CP Cowdude from the Water7 arc. Luffy shows off Gear Second and in the manga it's near instant defeat. But the anime expended the fight. I really like that fight as well :(

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yeah I remember (maybe it was you?), someone pointing that out when the episode was released. What a disappointment. I think another example, way way back was Luffy vs CP Cowdude from the Water7 arc. Luffy shows off Gear Second and in the manga it's near instant defeat. But the anime expended the fight. I really like that fight as well :(

I loved the Blueno fight. I've gone back and watched it countless times. It was nothing but good moments. I can't imagine wanting to make it shorter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Blueno fight is how to do good filler, there’s a little lost in that Gear Second’s attacks aren’t actually just invisible except for the impact like the manga but every attack feelsso good to watch, if that makes sense.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

I think the general intent is that every paramecia has a single unifying concept, but Sugar's Hobby Hobby Fruit in particular stretches the rule pretty hard. Perona is slightly more acceptable because exploding ghosts are a minor shonen trope (remember Gotenks vs. Buu?), and making people depressed is fairly on-theme for ghosts. Law at least has a clear unifying "operation" theme, although this is broad enough that what he can and can't do is frustratingly vague.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

I loved the Blueno fight. I've gone back and watched it countless times. It was nothing but good moments. I can't imagine wanting to make it shorter.
What I meant was that Gear Second was instantaneous, while in the anime it extended the fight for longer. The same is now being done to Gear Four apparently.

Yeah the fight was awesome, totally agree. Luffy defeating Blueno by over powering his Armour Haki was done awesome.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Talking of Gear 4, Luffy seems to be overcoming it's limitations re: the cool down afterwards. He's still up and running around, iirc the first time we see him end Gear 4 he was effectively paralysed for 10 minutes (like early uses of Gear 2).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Now I cannot unhear the song. :kimchi:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Luffy vs Katakuri is the single most boring fight in OP. I've never really enjoyed his fights, but this one is especially bad. His Gear 4 is super cool and I thought his fights would improve but nope boring drawn out lovely poo poo.

Was the manga this bad as well?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

Luffy vs Katakuri is the single most boring fight in OP. I've never really enjoyed his fights, but this one is especially bad. His Gear 4 is super cool and I thought his fights would improve but nope boring drawn out lovely poo poo.

Was the manga this bad as well?

it was real drawn out in the manga too yea

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's such a shame too. I like Katakuri, I think this is a really exciting setup. And yet it's so stupidly done. He's gotten up and tried to do the see the future move like 6 or 7 times now. Katakuri has punched him like 4 billion times now. It's pretty obvious Luffy will never be punched to death by this guy; there's zero sense of tension. I felt like this had potential to be one of the best fights, but instead it's one of the worst.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

It's such a shame too. I like Katakuri, I think this is a really exciting setup. And yet it's so stupidly done. He's gotten up and tried to do the see the future move like 6 or 7 times now. Katakuri has punched him like 4 billion times now. It's pretty obvious Luffy will never be punched to death by this guy; there's zero sense of tension. I felt like this had potential to be one of the best fights, but instead it's one of the worst.

It'll probably be cooler on a recut on youtube haha. Someone combined all the fight panels for the manga since it was spread out over so many chapters.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
What's his purpose though. Every enemy luffy has faced I think has somehow helped him get stronger or smarter. I guess Katakuri was meant to be the first enemy that Luffy was equally matched against?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Suspicious Lump posted:

What's his purpose though. Every enemy luffy has faced I think has somehow helped him get stronger or smarter. I guess Katakuri was meant to be the first enemy that Luffy was equally matched against?

The Katakuri fight is teaching Luffy to calm down and concentrate on his Observation Haki instead of trying to simply overpower his way through everything.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Looks like all that fighting is going to pay off next episode!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK, so Gear 4 has multiple 'modes', seems an interesting way of giving Luffy new abilities without going straight to Gear 5. (and also lets the writer keep coming up with new stuff)

Wonder if in the future he'll be able to switch between forms mid battle like Chopper's Zoan modes, that'd be neat.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Zark the Damned posted:

The Katakuri fight is teaching Luffy to calm down and concentrate on his Observation Haki instead of trying to simply overpower his way through everything.

Katakuri also is a representative of how Luffy's personality in the end is going to be his driving force that's ultimately going to let him succeed where others fail.

It ties back especially to how Luffy values freedom above all else. Luffy doesn't care if he looks sill or stupid (see Flampe and her minions mocking him during the fight), whereas Katakuri, who on the surface level is stronger, smarter, and more dangerous than Luffy, is ultimately chained down other people's perception of him, and is a monument to compromise.

When he first showed up, I was worried he was going to be another stereotypical 'cool' character like Law ended up being, but after his initial mouth reveal, and then when I said 'gently caress it' and revealed himself to his family I turned around on him as a character.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

:yeshaha:

Except this thread saw you eating, so now we're all dead :ohdear:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
The latest episode is well worth a watch. Finally a good chapter!

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I think the Katakuri fight would have been great if it wasn't just so drat long, same problem with Doflamingo. I would rather have dumb filler arcs than these tiresome fights.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Huzzah, it looks like this arc is finally loving over. Next ep looks to be a recap/consequences/reaction shots montage. Sanji gets a Germa 66 super suit though, which could be interesting in the future.

Hopefully Jimbei got away and didn't die off screen to Mama, they were setting up a big 'sacrifice self to save the Sunny' thing.

Which reminds me of something I just realised in the past few episodes with the Sunny getting hosed up - why the hell did they let both Frankie and Usopp go on other away missions? That's 100% of the crew who can fix the boat!

I wonder if we're gonna get a mini arc with the other guys of 'what happened on the way to Wano' or if it'll be largely glossed over. It'll be glossed over, Luffy is the only one who matters

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Huzzah, it looks like this arc is finally loving over. Next ep looks to be a recap/consequences/reaction shots montage. Sanji gets a Germa 66 super suit though, which could be interesting in the future.

If I never have to hear another Big Mom song again, it'll be too soon.

Zark the Damned posted:

Hopefully Jimbei got away and didn't die off screen to Mama, they were setting up a big 'sacrifice self to save the Sunny' thing.

Luffy told him not to die, so he can't do it.

Zark the Damned posted:

Which reminds me of something I just realised in the past few episodes with the Sunny getting hosed up - why the hell did they let both Frankie and Usopp go on other away missions? That's 100% of the crew who can fix the boat!

They also didn't bring anyone particularly useful and instead brought known master infiltrator Luffy. Did Chopper even do anything at all?

Zark the Damned posted:

I wonder if we're gonna get a mini arc with the other guys of 'what happened on the way to Wano' or if it'll be largely glossed over. It'll be glossed over, Luffy is the only one who matters

"Wow, stretching these episodes out every week sure is tiring. If only we had material to cover we could use, like if some of the characters spent two years doing things, or if say someone went to the Moon or something. Oh well!"

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

After not watching for several years (Fishman Island killed my enthusiasm), I watched all of Punk Hazard and Dressrosa over the last few weeks.

Am I the only person who thinks Law kind of sucks? He's like the protagonist of a much more boring show.

Also, how strong is Zoro supposed to be now? He punked everyone he's fought since the time skip (Pica was more like a Shadow of the Colossus fight). Is he supposed to be like 95% of the way to Mihawk level?

I'll probably take a break and come back and watch the rest in a few months. Dressrosa should have finished the first time Luffy, Law, and the Toy Soldier made it up the plateau. That or just show each fight individually over its own couple of episodes.

I do think One Piece is a monumental achievement for its longevity alone. If anything though, I wish Hunter x Hunter had a thousand episodes instead.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

the gently caress, the musical numbers were the best the anime's been in forever

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Fawf posted:

the gently caress, the musical numbers were the best the anime's been in forever

The first musical when they introduced Big Mom was dumb. The recent musical when you see the Sunny under attack was amazing.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
The last musical with third-eyed girl was heart breaking, it was really good. But the rest in this arc where poo poo. This has was probably one of the weaker arcs for me. Big mama pirates seem inept compared to doflamingo's crew. Big mama irrespective of her absolute terrifying power is actually more a hinderance to the family than anything else. Imagine mid fight she gets hungry and turns against you?

Also, speaking of sacrificing your self for Luffy/crew, man was that done to death. Pedro, Pekoms, Jinbei, at one point Carrot looked to be sacrificing herself. The way Pekoms went out was super lame and then not mentioned again. "I believe in you" trope is getting really tiring.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK we're officially in post-arc filler territory. Half this ep was wasted retelling Luffy's origin and looks like next episode is retelling Coby's. With the odd side look at folks preparing for the Reverie (which has been getting teased for like 2 years or something?)

At least there were a couple of interesting tidbits amongst the filler.

Nami keeping control of Zeus could be neat but I suspect will get forgotten about in short order like most of her powers. Is it just me or has she been reduced from using trickery, misdirection and mirages to simply thunderbolting everything?

The newspapers exaggerating Luffy's role in the assassination attempt (ultimately all he did was cause a distraction and knock out 2 of Big Mom's generals) and naming him the 5th Emperor was amusing, largely the reaction of Bege.

Wonder how long it'll be before Sanji is forced to use Chekhov's super suit...

Still no word on Jimbei, so it seems likely he's still alive as the show is at least fairly good for not having off screen deaths. Hopefully he'll catch up and rejoin the crew and then Luffy can concentrate on finding the ever elusive 10th member of his crew!

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I'm kinda down for them doing all these recaps because they at least appear to be reanimating these scenes. And there's something to the fact that a huge portion of the audience probably is unaware of the history of these characters.

On the other hand, they adapted a loving third of a chapter. I really wish they had just done this one whole chapter by itself since it's so good.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Lump posted:

The last musical with third-eyed girl was heart breaking, it was really good. But the rest in this arc where poo poo. This has was probably one of the weaker arcs for me. Big mama pirates seem inept compared to doflamingo's crew. Big mama irrespective of her absolute terrifying power is actually more a hinderance to the family than anything else. Imagine mid fight she gets hungry and turns against you?

Also, speaking of sacrificing your self for Luffy/crew, man was that done to death. Pedro, Pekoms, Jinbei, at one point Carrot looked to be sacrificing herself. The way Pekoms went out was super lame and then not mentioned again. "I believe in you" trope is getting really tiring.

He should have just bought that new Grand Navy of his he built.

Kind of weird that he brought the worst possible people to do this mission.

I thought the two recap episodes were terrible. They've already animated those episodes. Redoing it with a bit more modern animation is still just a waste of time.

I like how Reverie is going to try to discuss the Luffy threat, but like half the people attending are Luffy's allies. I'm looking forward to those episodes.

The okama people are still portrayed pretty awful, but no one was treating them different from anyone else or acting uncomfortable around them or anything, so that was nice.

So much stuff happens off-screen they could be animating, but still don't. What was the point of the Revolutionary Army moving bases? How did no one suffer in any way from Blackbeard (or the Navy?) attacking their base?
Also what does it mean they are declaring war? Seems like a moot point when your whole organization exists to defeat someone, haha.

Is this the first time we've ended an arc without a party?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
IMO this arc hasn't ended yet. Similar to the Water 7 arc which lead directly into Enies Lobby Arc, this one is leading directly into the next one (whatever that is).

quote:

Also what does it mean they are declaring war? Seems like a moot point when your whole organization exists to defeat someone, haha.
They've been underground, hidden and secretive. An open declaration of war means they are out in the open. The general public now knows of their existence, which is really really bad for the world government.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
lol Morley

also wow check out that farm girl getting a big ol' handful of belo betty's titty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ugh @ Belo Betty, we really didn't need yet another nearly nekkid titty gal character. Just when I thought they were branching out into more interesting female character designs with some of Big Mama's daughters... at least she has an interesting fruit power I guess?

Wondering what the deal is with Morley's ability, it seems similar to Senor Pink's (he's so hard boiled) ability to swim through anything. Is it a devil fruit or some property of that trident allowing him to do it?