Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The library was a lot of really good zombie fighting on a comically repetitive level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Flannelette posted:

I think you had fun because it's a fun game and all the guns are fun to use, the vehicles are fun to drive and the enemies are fun to fight; no-one is nostalgic for halos level design it just had a very enjoyable and dynamic game loop.

Halo's enemies seem to basically make the game, there's a decent variety of them with distinctive personality and tactical differences.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah fighting groups of Halo enemies was pretty cool. You'd pick off a few grunts and jackals first, maybe with a grenade, then go in and kill the elite so the rest scatters and you can finish them all off.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Halo 4 got real lame because the white robot enemies were way less dynamic compared to the covenent and the monkey men

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Needler was an awesome videogame gun, also shoutout to the pistol for being the starting weapon and best weapon game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Halo 4 got real lame because the white robot enemies were way less dynamic compared to the covenent and the monkey men

They retooled them pretty well in 5 but theyre still missing a really nailed down concept/variety to be as compelling as the other factions. Heres hoping that Halo Inifinity delivers because Halo is like the last FPS franchise to have co-op

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Halo 1 was good all the others were generic trash

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Halo 1 was good all the others were generic trash

Unless you like the online multi then yeah it's a hard game to follow up when you've refined down all your weapons (except maybe the needler) and enemies so they're all uniquely useful And then have to make another game that adds onto that refinement somehow it ends up bloated and generic. 3 added some nice open battles though where you had lots of different enemies (flying, riding vehicles, having infantry battles with your allies, shooting from cover) doing their own thing around a huge walking tank that you had to take out or get onboard somehow and they could play out differently every time your played it.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Barudak posted:

They retooled them pretty well in 5 but theyre still missing a really nailed down concept/variety to be as compelling as the other factions. Heres hoping that Halo Inifinity delivers because Halo is like the last FPS franchise to have co-op

Destiny, borderlands, shadow warrior?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Dross posted:

Destiny, borderlands, shadow warrior?

Gross looter shooters

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Halo is like the last FPS franchise to have co-op

I believe you have forgotten Fallout 76

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Barudak posted:

Far Cry is pretty much full co-op. It's a fun little sandbox to play in with your buddies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Here's one. Co-op is generally terrible, especially in shooters. It generally adds nothing to the game because they are never really designed about being cooperative. You are just adding more guns into the mix. And in a campaign driven thing it's really distracting from my engagement with the game, and I can't sit back and enjoy my surroundings or the story because there's always people rushing you along and and talking over everything. If I'm playing a co-op shooter I'm usually tapped out and bored as gently caress and wishing I was doing something else. I'd much rather just play single player, or a competitive game because you actually have opportunity to cooperate with a team against real people. Looter shooters are the worst because everything revolves around levels so people are always just trying to "power level" you and making you skip the whole loving game or just sit back while they do the work so you can level up.

If I'm gonna play CO-OP I'd much rather play something like Overcooked that actually does a good job with it. I do wish someone would make a co-op shooter that actually uses the format well though. I am yet to play one where having another player doesn't just feel like a distraction.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

veni veni veni posted:

Here's one. Co-op is generally terrible, especially in shooters. It generally adds nothing to the game because they are never really designed about being cooperative. You are just adding more guns into the mix. And in a campaign driven thing it's really distracting from my engagement with the game, and I can't sit back and enjoy my surroundings or the story because there's always people rushing you along and and talking over everything. If I'm playing a co-op shooter I'm usually tapped out and bored as gently caress and wishing I was doing something else. I'd much rather just play single player, or a competitive game because you actually have opportunity to cooperate with a team against real people.

If I'm gonna play CO-OP I'd much rather play something like Overcooked that actually does a good job with it. I do wish someone would make a co-op shooter that actually uses the format well though. I am yet to play one where having another player doesn't just feel like a distraction.

If you play games with friends, you can do this thing called communication. You do need friends first though I'm sorry.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I play 75% of games with friends. I said in my post that I play team based PVP stuff mostly. I realize that falling all over yourself to make the most basic burn ever is a lot easier than reading a whole paragraph though.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

veni veni veni posted:

I play 75% of games with friends. I said in my post that I play team based PVP stuff mostly. I realize that falling all over yourself to make the most basic burn ever is a lot easier than reading a whole paragraph though.

No literally any time I see you post my eyes glaze over

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Truly unpopular. I've played some terrible awful no-good co-op games and still had fun because I was playing with friends.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Truly unpopular. I've played some terrible awful no-good co-op games and still had fun because I was playing with friends.

I've even had fun playing (network) co-op with strangers. Couch co-op and with friends is superior of course.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sid Vicious posted:

No literally any time I see you post my eyes glaze over

So you just quote stuff you don't read? Quality poo poo, thank you for your contribution.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

veni veni veni posted:

So you just quote stuff you don't read? Quality poo poo, thank you for your contribution.

Only from you

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

just shut up

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I've been steadily making my way through Hollow Knight and by steadily I mean I beat the false knight last night and just opened the short cut to Crystal Peak today and I've read a lot of complaints from people about it and I'm wondering if I just haven't reached the bad part yet because I'm in love with this game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

L4D1 and L4D2 were some quality poo poo back in the day, even just playing against the computer (e.g. cooperative multiplayer)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sid Vicious posted:

I've been steadily making my way through Hollow Knight and by steadily I mean I beat the false knight last night and just opened the short cut to Crystal Peak today and I've read a lot of complaints from people about it and I'm wondering if I just haven't reached the bad part yet because I'm in love with this game

I think it's just somewhat of a polarizing game, in that most people love it but a handful don't. You've already experienced the difficulty curve and the fact that sometimes in a Metroidvania you need to backtrack after you gain new abilities in order to reach new areas, and those are the common complaints I've seen. The only particularly "bullshit" areas are completely optional and at the end of the game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

L4D1 and L4D2 were some quality poo poo back in the day, even just playing against the computer (e.g. cooperative multiplayer)

Yeah. Like, anything that actually requires people to cooperate beyond “shoot the thing twice as hard with 2 people” is cool and good but it’s super rare. L4D is defiantly one of the exceptions where it feels like you are actually a functional team working together. It’s the type of thing I wish there was more of.

Vermintide is a pretty good L4D clone but I don’t think it ever reaches the same highs and it feels sort of copy/paste.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

QuarkJets posted:

I think it's just somewhat of a polarizing game, in that most people love it but a handful don't. You've already experienced the difficulty curve and the fact that sometimes in a Metroidvania you need to backtrack after you gain new abilities in order to reach new areas, and those are the common complaints I've seen. The only particularly "bullshit" areas are completely optional and at the end of the game

Oh thank goodness because I am so in love with this game!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. Like, anything that actually requires people to cooperate beyond “shoot the thing twice as hard with 2 people” is cool and good but it’s super rare. L4D is defiantly one of the exceptions where it feels like you are actually a functional team working together. It’s the type of thing I wish there was more of.

Vermintide is a pretty good L4D clone but I don’t think it ever reaches the same highs and it feels sort of copy/paste.

Yeah I came away with the same conclusions, after playing a few rounds of Vermintide 2. There are some good things there but I guess L4D had a gypsy curse cast on it, making it super good but dooming successor series in the process

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing I will give Vermintide is that giant gross rat men are an awesome enemy type that is way cooler than zombies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

veni veni veni posted:

One thing I will give Vermintide is that giant gross rat men are an awesome enemy type that is way cooler than zombies.

And that's ripped straight from a tabletop wargame. Problem is most video game designers when left to their own devices have zero imagination and make boring knockoffs of more interesting settings they can't afford the licenses to or generic mish-mashes.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
FEAR 3 had a fun campaign coop mode since one of the players could be an immortal ghost man that could gently caress with enemies and the game kept a running total of who was the better player each chapter which changed the game's ending.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I was really annoyed near the end of Blood and Wine where the antagonist is like "I'm going to burn this entire stupid kingdom to the ground in 3 days if you don't meet my demands" and then the game immediately fades to black and is like "3 days later..."

what the gently caress did we really just do nothing for 3 days and let this huge vampire attack happen? why isn't the witcher doing witcher things and maybe trying to sniff out this dude's lair

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Left for Dead games would have been incredible if the weapons felt more impactful than nerf guns

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

you mean the weapons that let you clear literally a room full of zombies in seconds flat?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah L4D weapons were fine. Unless all you had was the lovely pistol, it's 1 hit kill against just about anything but a tank, maybe charger, if you know how to shoot. Even the automatics (gently caress em, shotguns and sniper is all you need) would mow down special infected with like 2-3 hits in the head.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The real problem with L4D weapons was that it was inferior to just holding down the RMB until they added in a faux stamina system.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
But that would just shove zombies away, not really a way to get through the level.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Stamina thing totally fixed it though.

You could generally counter that strategy multiplayer but people would have to coordinate well.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

QuarkJets posted:

I was really annoyed near the end of Blood and Wine where the antagonist is like "I'm going to burn this entire stupid kingdom to the ground in 3 days if you don't meet my demands" and then the game immediately fades to black and is like "3 days later..."

what the gently caress did we really just do nothing for 3 days and let this huge vampire attack happen? why isn't the witcher doing witcher things and maybe trying to sniff out this dude's lair

I liked the bit where literally as the big climactic battle is taking place you get warped to an entire different map to potter about with epically twisted rick and morty versions of fairytale characters

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah L4D weapons were fine. Unless all you had was the lovely pistol, it's 1 hit kill against just about anything but a tank, maybe charger, if you know how to shoot. Even the automatics (gently caress em, shotguns and sniper is all you need) would mow down special infected with like 2-3 hits in the head.

snipe with the magnum, the AK is for any time you can't shoot the magnum fast enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

snipe with the magnum, the AK is for any time you can't shoot the magnum fast enough

Sniper rifle/ axe combo xD