Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

The moment in Star Trek Beyond where they beat the bad guy through the weapon of playing "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys is better than every single moment of that tedious franchise put together.

No, to the contrary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Farscape is one of those series that did so much crazy poo poo that it couldn't all land, but when it did it was gold. Also Crichton was the absolute best and most realistic character in that kind seeing, where he basically just went crazy from all the weird space stuff, but turns that crazy into his biggest strength. And Pilot is a precious baby with a big adorable turtle face.

Trek opinions: Enterprise Farscape also had the best theme tune and I sang along to it every week, I will die on this hill forever.

ooh AH HO ooh AH HO YAYAYAAAYAAI YAI YAAAYAYAYAYA

Crackers Don't Matter is like the Dead Parrot Sketch of Farscape - yeah, it's amazing, but fans love it past the point where its useful. I think I killed my mate's interest in Farscape by starting him on that, because you need to be familiar with the characters for the underlying fear that they're gonna go too far and do something they regret to really work. Without that, it's just goofy fun.

Orville is the TOS/TNG sequel we've all been hoping for, even if the first season waaaay overdid the Macfarlane comedy stuff. S2 manages to be much more emotionally serious (the doctor dating the robot was the most star trek thing ever) and consistently nails the humour in a much more natural way (the crew gossiping like school girls about the doctor dating the robot).

The biggest sin of Disco is that there's no reason for it to exist. We've had more "what if Star Trek, but cynical?" series than classic Trek, there's no need for another. Orville does the space progressivism better than Disco, and The Expanse does the cynicism in a much more nuanced, less nihilistic way.

And whilst I'm on a roll - Altered Carbon was pretty and slick, but they cut out the anarcho-communists in space, which are kind of the entire core of Morgan's politics (or at least, the bit he wants to explore in the books)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

THe Chief loving Science Officer

As head of the fertility department he should definitely be wearing gloves

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mehall posted:

No, to the contrary

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i like the bit at the start of thor ragnarok where they use the immigrant song

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
thor ragnarok and spiderman homecoming are the only good mcu movies

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

you're forgetting guardians of the galaxy

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Looke posted:

you're forgetting guardians of the galaxy

Blessed post (the sequel was way worse but still had good parts)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i dont think any of them are completely good movies, say on the level of karate kid, but thor ragnarok has some chuckles.
What We Do in the Shadows is way better though.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Pochoclo posted:

If you want to watch Star Trek: The Next Generation (and you should because it's great), please for the love of god just start from Season 3.

Ignore seasons 1 and 2 they're terrible and I say this as a lifelong fan of the series.

Season 2 is about 50% terrible 50% perfectly watchable, and skipping it means skipping a few really good episodes.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I think he's losing it

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

mehall posted:

No, to the contrary
Star Trek is very bad.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Nuclear Spoon posted:

thor ragnarok and spiderman homecoming are the only good mcu movies

Thor Ragnarok is great, but honestly Spiderman is average at best.

Winter soldier is amazing though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TheRat posted:

I think he's losing it

Using the present tense is an unwarranted kindness.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Half way through season 3. It's better than season 2. Less space fungus more space politics.

Yeah Season 1 is still the best one cause Space P.I. + all the belters stuff is hard to top. Season 2 is a weak sci-fi X-Files knock-off - season 3 is Space Cold War so it's cool again.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Catzilla posted:

I'm sorry, but I had to de-lurk to say that this is an incredibly bad opinion. The OA had an interesting premise to start, but the end was so bad. Not to mention criminally wasting Jason Isaacs. That was eight or so hours of my life I wish I had back!

I’ll admit it wasn’t as good as Season 1 but I was also quite pleased that it took a turn I wasn’t expecting. It became pretty absurd pretty quickly, reminded me of David Lynch a bit, but that’s sure to draw a lot of criticism.

Maybe it caught me at the right time. I swing between hating Lynch and thinking he’s a hack to thinking he’s a genius depending on my mood.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Gorn Myson posted:

The moment in Star Trek Beyond where they beat the bad guy through the weapon of playing "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys is better than every single moment of that tedious franchise put together.
Beyond was the best of the Kelvin universe movies and it sucks that they didn't think to have Simon Pegg write them from the start. Its a real shame they'll never make another one, which is a real suprise after the second one could be summed up with that one scene when cumberbach dramatically reveals "my name is Kahn" to the audience while every other character in the room has no idea who Kahn is.

Star Trek 6 is still the best one though, it's impossible to make a bad movie that includes a daring escape from a space prison.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Go on Lammy
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1117371973112225793

e: To contribute to Trek chat, the best Trek happened when Ronald D. Moore was heavily involved (Measure of a Man being an exception to the rule) hence TNG from season 3 and DS9 being great (DS9 Trek best Trek come at me) and through no coincidence the BSG reboot being excellent television. Also Voyager being mostly poo with some decent episodes (Year of Hell holy poo poo). I think VOY was much worse off for going back to the Alien of the Week format and would have been much greater if Moore had been able to have a darker take with his story arc style.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 14, 2019

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Nearly all Marvel movies are forgettable, bland and poorly made.

Into the Spider-Verse on the other hand is a solid gold treasure.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47924025

I'm trying to figure out what the point of this 'Corbyn recording' story with Margaret Hodge is. I saw her being interviewed on the news and even the interviewer was like "yes, and?"

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

mehall posted:

Thor Ragnarok is great, but honestly Spiderman is average at best.

Winter soldier is amazing though.

Yeah I really liked Winter Soldier as well, always had a soft spot for when Marvel does relatively low level espionage type stuff and the whole "Shield got taken over by Nazi's and nobody noticed because they basically were doing what Shield wanted to do anyway" thing was pretty interesting. More to it than most of the Marvel films at least.

Spiderverse ruined any other Spider-man films in the near future for me I think. Even if that hadn't come out I'm not a fan of them seemingly feeling obligated to team him up with Iron Man and now Nick Fury, Spider-man is like the last superhero who should be happy to be working with billionaire industrialists and spymasters.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Can someone tell me why exactly these people are joining 'Change UK' when we already have a centrist party in the Liberal Democrats? Have change set out a manifesto that's vastly different in some way?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Mega Comrade posted:

Can someone tell me why exactly these people are joining 'Change UK' when we already have a centrist party in the Liberal Democrats? Have change set out a manifesto that's vastly different in some way?

The Lib Dem’s are electoral poison and have a tainted reputation, they’ll never pull 20 MP’s again. ChUK are new and vibrant and fresh and if you don’t ask them questions on their policies they can pretend to be everything for everyone.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

Have change set out a manifesto
no

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

I think it's tactical. Going to another established party would be seen as political treachery.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Total Meatlove posted:

The Lib Dem’s are electoral poison and have a tainted reputation, they’ll never pull 20 MP’s again. ChUK are new and vibrant and fresh and if you don’t ask them questions on their policies they can pretend to be everything for everyone.

Rebranding your ideology with a fresh name will offering the same old poo poo, it's like centrism in microcosm

Go on Lammy, ruddy marvellous

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Bundy posted:

I think it's tactical. Going to another established party would be seen as political treachery.

It's the cargo-cult version of Emmanuel Macron's party

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
lol

https://twitter.com/nfergus/status/1117233701102821377?s=20

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
In a roundabout way he's suggesting a worker's union for professional dickbags

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Kassad posted:

It's the cargo-cult version of Emmanuel Macron's party

Well if you put it that way, it worked for Italy too.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Lol he tagged fired racist tory man and Jorp. Even the right wing understand unions are important.

^^^ :argh:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Wait aren't these the intellectuals who scream out about arguments not being about how many people support them?

Now they're looking to get some people together, and not on the strength of their argument but just out of a principle based on a military pact.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
cool

https://twitter.com/CorbynistaTeen/status/1117377460050518017

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Clearly the solution is a conventional invasion of their personal borders, one by one, so there's never a clear time to launch the tweetnukes

By which I mean just hassle them while they're buying groceries or whatever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is really something missing from all these sci-fi settings. There are Ice Worlds, Hive Worlds, Jungle Worlds, Desert Worlds, but no Allotment Worlds.

The Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton has Allotment Worlds, sort of.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
meanwhile

https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/status/1117115548561825795

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Clearly the solution is a conventional invasion of their personal borders, one by one, so there's never a clear time to launch the tweetnukes

By which I mean just hassle them while they're buying groceries or whatever.

Salami tactics!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Argement.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The other parties will be kicking themselves they let this man get away from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This man's getting a lot of attention for being an asshat. It's time for Twitter to ban.