Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Weeeeeeeeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Pro snype there, if I do say so myself.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They're not going to throw an American tourist in jail for bringing some OTC medicine. If they catch it and have a problem you just say you didn't know and hand it over. As long as you're not a giant loving moron and have 5000 Sudafed up your rear end or something it's not going to be suspicious.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

As long as you're not a giant loving moron and have 5000 Sudafed up your rear end or something it's not going to be suspicious.

That's an extremely specific example, anything you'd like to share with the thread?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stringent posted:

That's an extremely specific example, anything you'd like to share with the thread?

I did not need to use the bunghole, I distracted Chinese customs by having books in my luggage and they were too busy inspecting that to care about my drugs or the two kilo wedge of parmesan.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zmcnulty posted:

Yeah I don't know the details of the case. Was just thinking it may be more complicated than a blanket "bring your meds, period"

quote:

Julie Hamp — Toyota Motor Corp.'s first senior female executive who was appointed head of public relations just weeks ago — has been arrested in Japan for allegedly importing the prescription painkiller oxycodone in violation of the country's narcotics laws.

A total of 57 pills were discovered by Japanese customs officials on June 11 inside a package that Hamp mailed to herself from Kentucky, declaring the contents to be a necklace, according to Japanese news reports.

quote:

It’s not clear yet if Hamp, a former General Motors and PepsiCo executive, had gotten such permission, but the way the pills suggests were allegedly packed suggest smuggling. The parcel, labeled “necklaces,” was addressed to Hamp and contained 57 tablets of oxycodone found in packets. There were also pills buried at the bottom of the parcel, underneath toy necklaces and pendants.

lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I've always gotten a kick out of the perfect symmetry of hosed upness wrt to pain killers in the US and Japan, both occupying the opposite sides of the problem.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am not dead but I do smell terrible. God I hate planes.

Dad got hosed over and is arriving 3 hours later than me. He says to wait for him at the hotel. I told him what to do.

vvv :justpost::posthaste:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 14, 2019

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Seriously just post everything!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
We will make sure you can’t gently caress up anymore

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Pollyanna posted:

Dad got hosed over and is arriving 3 hours later than me. He says to wait for him at the hotel.

this is your chance! hop on a shinkansen for hakata and make good your escape

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

caberham posted:

We will make sure you can’t gently caress up anymore

You are too late :shepface:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

You are too late :shepface:

Just lost your schedule or live post

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

caberham posted:

Just lost your schedule or live post

No schedule besides Tokyo 5 nights and then Hakone-Kyoto-Osaka. As for current status I am eating Family Mart salad and you guys weren’t kidding about everything being small here.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You JUST FAT.

Ok so each day on Tokyo do you have 1 or 2 major event or activity to do?

And as for dinner any particular place? Or just eat whatever you guys find

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pollyanna posted:

No schedule besides Tokyo 5 nights and then Hakone-Kyoto-Osaka. As for current status I am eating Family Mart salad and you guys weren’t kidding about everything being small here.

The tuna and egg sandwiches are awesome.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

caberham posted:

You JUST FAT.

Ok so each day on Tokyo do you have 1 or 2 major event or activity to do?

And as for dinner any particular place? Or just eat whatever you guys find

All the reservations n poo poo we made were for Kyoto and Hakone, Tokyo abs Osaka are free. We have our choices of Asakusa, Sky Deck, Shinjuku, Odaiba, and the parks to hit up as we go along.

And yeah this trip really highlights the problem with western eating :(

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pollyanna posted:

And yeah this trip really highlights the problem with western eating :(

What do you mean?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stringent posted:

What do you mean?

By western eating I mean my eating. I have gotten fat.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
So, American eating, at most :v:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey now it wasn’t an American that quit her 1 month trip after a few days

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stringent posted:

I've always gotten a kick out of the perfect symmetry of hosed upness wrt to pain killers in the US and Japan, both occupying the opposite sides of the problem.

Korea is the same way. Worst story I ever heard was a friend getting leg surgery and they refused to give him painkillers or put him under. He eventually screamed and fought so much during the slicing open of his leg that they used novocaine to numb the area.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

have 5000 Sudafed up your rear end or something

Hey! Have you been going through my medical history? >:[

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea is the same way. Worst story I ever heard was a friend getting leg surgery and they refused to give him painkillers or put him under. He eventually screamed and fought so much during the slicing open of his leg that they used novocaine to numb the area.

Doctor all like, they sliced my dick off when I was ten with no painkillers at all, gently caress you.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Grand Fromage posted:

They're not going to throw an American tourist in jail for bringing some OTC medicine. If they catch it and have a problem you just say you didn't know and hand it over. As long as you're not a giant loving moron and have 5000 Sudafed up your rear end or something it's not going to be suspicious.

Narita Immigration once arrested an elderly American man for drug smuggling (traveling from SE Asia) and I had to visit him in the airport klink on a holiday. While I was writing down his information, my only pen ran out of ink. I couldn’t get another in a reasonable amount of time, so I just started pressing it into the paper so I could read the indentations once I got out of the jail and back to the car.

But you could see the poor dude start to lose hope when he saw that even though it looked like I was writing, nothing was showing up on the form in front of me. Probably thought he would be lost forever in the Japanese penal system.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Was he?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah you gotta give us more details than that.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Was my last contact with him, so maybe!

I passed on the information and somebody else followed up on the case, as I was just temporarily covering that type of work.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Actually genuinely ordered a meal entirely in Japanese for the first time. I forgot how to ask for the check though so I got the poor lady in trouble when the old dude was like “yo” and pointed at us. I will never forget again :negative:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pollyanna posted:

Actually genuinely ordered a meal entirely in Japanese for the first time. I forgot how to ask for the check though so I got the poor lady in trouble when the old dude was like “yo” and pointed at us. I will never forget again :negative:

Well, what do you think so far? How's Japan?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

This is too painful

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
ntan please post some nice pictures of onsens or something

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

ntan please post some nice pictures of onsens or something

lol, shut up you nub

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Listen, cabe, you know I love you, but this attempt to position yourself as the Japan Whisperer. You're still just another tourist, we live here, ok?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Well im just glad you love me :glomp:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

What the gently caress? What kind of surgery was it? Not just removing something from his skin or something but actual full on open muscle and bone work?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey guys I’m really excited to go see the deer in Nar—

*surgerychat*

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

What the gently caress? What kind of surgery was it? Not just removing something from his skin or something but actual full on open muscle and bone work?

Yeah they had to cut into the leg after an accident. I don't remember if it was all the way to the bone but it was substantial.

Everyone I know who has had surgery in Korea has had to basically riot to get anesthetic. And you're not going to get any painkillers afterward no matter what you do.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Business of Ferrets posted:

Was my last contact with him, so maybe!

I passed on the information and somebody else followed up on the case, as I was just temporarily covering that type of work.

I assume the Japanese authorities eventually notified the US embassy and he got consular access. I wouldn't worry. This isn't China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
when I saw there were like 100 new posts I figured there was an awesome meltdown or something but instead it was a guy traveling who doesn't travel often and people insisting he was going to have a lovely experience, what an uplifting read