Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat

CRISPYBABY posted:

New player question: How should I be looking to clear out biter camps mid-game? They're stifling my expansion right now. My walls and turrets are holding, but I probably haven't killed a single full camp since medium worms showed up. I've just got military science up and running and I've got most of the bullet damage upgrades from that. Should I be looking at rockets? Flamethrowers? Deployables?

I stock up my modular armour with energy shields but it takes so loving long to charge. Right now the swarms have a mix of small, medium, and the ocasional large biter. The swarms aren't tooo bad to deal with, but whenever I get into worm range I tend to melt before I can nuke them down with grenades. I spent a lot of time loving around making GBS threads out pollution while getting a logistic network and fluid network up and running with no research so I hope I'm not perma behind versus their evolution.

I think Tank is a Red Green Black research. If tank requires Blue, then work towards that.

I would suggest using the car with AP rounds as the bare minimum for anything approaching blue biters.

If you have fun with oil then flamethrower should be viable, but the last time I tried that was in 0.15 before the changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Tank requires blue and you should definitely push for it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yup.. tank with explosive rounds + grenades cleared out biters for me perfectly well until I got Mk2 power armor and defense lasers, after which you just waltz into their camps and wiggle around a bit (using exoskeletons for speed) and most of the spitters miss completely.

Later on in the game I've just been using artillery, but I've given up on even trying to clear them out from my pollution range since by the time I finish clearing one side even with 30 or 40 artillery in range, the other side has all respawned. I just let them throw themselves pointlessly at my walls now and let the bots repair any damage that makes it through while the artillery takes care of the camps that push into their automated range.

If I need to expand I clear a bunch with manual artillery and then just push the walls out and set up a new defensive line.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I used to hate setting up oil, but now I enjoy it and it's one of those things I always do pretty much the same way but don't bother to blueprint it. I think the a big part of what changed was know exactly what I need in terms of space (for future expansions) and inputs before I set things up so I don't have nasty surprises later. Sometimes it's remote, but often it's adjacent to my main base/bus so I don't need to train coal and plates in. For the most part it's just my own iterations on Katherine of Skye's original oil tutorial with everything in columns, spaced with enough room for beacons, a circuit controlled pump for each column and a pipe/fluid bus. The main thing here is the fact that the whole structure is pretty much a fixed "width", but you need room to expand in the "height" of the columns considerably as things ramp up.

Current one that keeps a fairly large starter base running. I'm currently transitioning to a modest modular megabase... sort of, I'm mostly just playing around as I'd usually do this with bugs off and they're on for this one. When things start to get bigger I'll probably set up a couple remote oil fields dedicated to specific products instead.

Also, I've just used nukes for the first time... as mentioned I'm usually biters-off when I get to this stage and I legit gasped the first time one went off. I'm pushing out my borders with a backpack full of them now and I feel like a war criminal. It also kind of reached a point where I might as well just get rid of them all via console as there is literally no threat/challenge and doing a circuit of a large perimeter lobbing nukes at dvery base I encounter is just busy work.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 12, 2019

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'm really liking the new rail-bus, type modular megabase I'm working on. I'm sure it's not anything new or groundbreaking, and it's probably identical to something others have done before, but I've enjoyed designing it from scratch on the fly myself.

Basically a four track horizontal spine/bus that I can keep extending indefinitely in modules with a blue print book of entrance and exits and occasional switchback. It's designed for modular parking and production/smelting areas that can be expanded indefinitely vertically as needed. These areas are all on isolated logistic networks and I'm usuing bots for loading and unloading. The spine links into the rail network of my starter base and a refuelling train comes from there as well as personal supply trains and some artillery base building and ammo trains (that are mostly redunsant now I've switch to nukes).

I've really only just got started on it so have no idea how effective it's going to be in terms of throughput and congestion, but I'm lookin forward to finding out.

Initial iron smelting area:

I'm not sure what's going to happen when I hit an ocean, but am stockpiling absurd amounts of landfill.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Bummed about barrels but that makes sense, i hadn't considered them as a workaround for long haul, I just have fun making cool little barrel and unbarelling setups. I started playing in .16 so didn't ever see them in their former glory.

Good news is mods exist :toot:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

necrotic posted:

Tank requires blue and you should definitely push for it.

Cool, thanks!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I’m finding the huge biter nests tedious to clean out, even with artillery. I see a couple of nuclear artillery mods available, have any of you tried them?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
New update (.29) might not be too stable. I've just had a couple of crashes and seen a couple of others reporting them on Reddit. So may want to avoid for now if you can.

e: Issue is known, fixed and update .30 will be available "shortly"

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 12, 2019

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If you have laser turrets and personal roboports turret creep seems to work pretty well even into the late game

Before personal roboports you can use regular turrets and hand place them

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

How do you saturate a 4 lane blue belt bus? All my copper gets eaten by green circuits. I can almost saturate 2 lanes coming out of smelting but I also run into issues where my bottom smelters run out of ore. I think my issue is smelting but once I fix that how do I equally bring in 4 lanes to the top of the bus? In other words how do I take 4 lanes and split them evenly into 4 lanes without bottlenecking?

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

What do yall do to prevent outages at outposts due to wandering swarms walking into power poles? Ammo train? On site power? Redundant power? Roboport coverage of entire power network?

I hate losing entire outposts because a single power pole was out of service for 60 seconds and my defenses were offline

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Gay Hitler posted:

What do yall do to prevent outages at outposts due to wandering swarms walking into power poles? Ammo train? On site power? Redundant power? Roboport coverage of entire power network?

I hate losing entire outposts because a single power pole was out of service for 60 seconds and my defenses were offline

I do a lot of on site power if possible. If there is a train connected I will usually just ship in solid fuel to run a small localized steam setup, and water in my favorite barrels if it's not around :3:

If you're truly worried about it you could run duplicate large poles to make more of a mesh network.

For some reason I've just never hosed with solar, obviously that's less work.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Xinlum posted:

How do you saturate a 4 lane blue belt bus? All my copper gets eaten by green circuits. I can almost saturate 2 lanes coming out of smelting but I also run into issues where my bottom smelters run out of ore. I think my issue is smelting but once I fix that how do I equally bring in 4 lanes to the top of the bus? In other words how do I take 4 lanes and split them evenly into 4 lanes without bottlenecking?

So basically I think the answer to your question is ultimately "don't make GC with resources off the bus". Try to set up dedicated supply or lines ONLY to them since they can consume so much raw resource it will choke the rest of the line down. If you segregate them to their own non-bus supply it will ease the strain quite a bit

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

You need separate mining/smelting for Green Circuits that you actually use and then you will need a DUPLICATE smelting/mining/production setup simply to make GC that are used to make Red. Neither should pull anything off your main bus or it'll be barren. edit: I guess you can probably pull plastic off the bus.

You can definitely limp to the finish line without it but it's going to be a lot of idle time while things slowly process. It's a really good game.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Gay Hitler posted:

They aren't military buildings, so they should only get attacked if they're in the way

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Tamba posted:

They aren't military buildings, so they should only get attacked if they're in the way

If they want to set up a base they'll kill power poles to clear the area, that's usually what gets you.

Tbh I don't know of any foolproof way of avoiding it, try to either guard your power poles or make the network redundant enough that it's not a problem

Or you can do the rail world thing and turn off biter expansion

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat
Machine Gun Turrets are a set it and forget it solution to outposts when you dont do a full clear. Just set up a beltline and hook it up to the arm and the chest. Like 1 chest or traincar of AP or Uranium ammo will last longer than the ore at the outpost.

It wont solve the power issues, but it will keep the infrastructure intact.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Gay Hitler posted:

I push out artillery outposts with radar and the artillery shoots at any bug infestations in range, drawing all the attacks into it. My defenses of the artillery outpost slaughter the bugs without a problem, and nothing inside the artillery range circles has ever been attacked (other than the walls after artillery blows stuff up).

I guess my system only works for certain playstyles like mine, where I very methodically expand outward as I need more resources, maintaining solid defensive lines in general in addition to the extended artillery outpost which is fed ammo and power via a walled pathway with a belt in the center and robo-ports to extend the repair area to it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Gay Hitler posted:

Artillery.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Xinlum posted:

charity rereg posted:

You need separate mining/smelting for Green Circuits that you actually use and then you will need a DUPLICATE smelting/mining/production setup simply to make GC that are used to make Red. Neither should pull anything off your main bus or it'll be barren. edit: I guess you can probably pull plastic off the bus.

You can definitely limp to the finish line without it but it's going to be a lot of idle time while things slowly process. It's a really good game.

This.

Basically, if you intend to have x on the bus, you want all production for x to be separate from the bus and not draw on the resources from the bus.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Is there a mod that makes green circuits *slightly* more difficult to make? For some reason, it bugs the hell out of me that they only need copper and iron.

The Simple Silicon mod adds silicon as an ingredient for red & blue circuits (and is a nice small complexity increase), but leaves green circuits alone. AAI Industries changes the recipe to copper + stone tablets (or copper + wood) but I'm not entirely sold on that.

Anyone know of any others?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Xinlum posted:

Laying things out differently won't change the amount of resources you have. One lane of copper ore makes one lane of copper plates.

If your copper output isn't saturated and furnaces are idle, it's becayse your copper input isn't saturated. You need to be making as much copper ore as you want copper plates, and you need sufficient throughput to your smelters.

Onve you satutate the belts, consuming items off of them will naturally make them not be saturated. The solution to not having enough copper to do what you want is either: make more copper, or want less of it. Don't think about it in terms of keeping the lanes full. Think about how much copper you want to consume, then how much you want to make, and then make a system of transport that gets it there without bottleneck.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
After doing ‘There Is No Spoon’ I’ve decided to just grab the rest of the achievements & let me tell ya, there is nothing more boring than researching the later mining productivity techs, or grenade damage 4. There’s so many iterative techs that are before white science and are wholly uninteresting. It’s fine, in that it gives me time to setup my big base for blue circuits 3 and such, but c’mon.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding about the tank. I was worried that I can't really produce cannon shells very fast right now but it didn't take long for me to realize that 90% of this things damage comes from running things over. It's not a tank, it's a bulldozer. Goddamn. I went from not being able to clear camps to literally steamrolling them.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
So, just a quick sanity check. I am looking at a mod. It has a process that uses water to produce something that can then be converted to coal. According to helmod it uses 1.4 MW to generate 2.5 pieces of coal per second. At 4 MJ per piece that appears to be 10 MJ/s thus 10 MW.

Is the math there right?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

FnF posted:

Is there a mod that makes green circuits *slightly* more difficult to make? For some reason, it bugs the hell out of me that they only need copper and iron.

The Simple Silicon mod adds silicon as an ingredient for red & blue circuits (and is a nice small complexity increase), but leaves green circuits alone. AAI Industries changes the recipe to copper + stone tablets (or copper + wood) but I'm not entirely sold on that.

Anyone know of any others?
Bob's mods make circuits reasonably but not excessively more complicated. I've never used anything but the full pack personally but they're supposed to be modular, so you should be able to pick just the one with circuits and hopefully it doesn't change too much other stuff.

If you really want complicated circuits then get pyanodon's :getin:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CRISPYBABY posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding about the tank. I was worried that I can't really produce cannon shells very fast right now but it didn't take long for me to realize that 90% of this things damage comes from running things over. It's not a tank, it's a bulldozer. Goddamn. I went from not being able to clear camps to literally steamrolling them.

Just be careful as you start getting into the tougher guys as they evolve. Getting slowed down too much in range of a group of the green spitter worms can mess your day up very rapidly.

Note that if you get personal defense lasers, even if you can only power a few of them in modular armor with solar and batteries, they will fire on things while you happily sit inside your tank driving it through the biter bases.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat

misguided rage posted:

Bob's mods make circuits reasonably but not excessively more complicated. I've never used anything but the full pack personally but they're supposed to be modular, so you should be able to pick just the one with circuits and hopefully it doesn't change too much other stuff.

If you really want complicated circuits then get pyanodon's :getin:

No, Pyanodon is the way to madness. I'm not sure how bobs circuits goes without the extra metal plates he pops in. Tell us how that goes if you go that route.

Gosh, reminds me I gotta do basic electronic boards on my seablock next. I got a dece amount of copper to straight up automate bcbs, I always forget the raitio of brown algae and green algae to get wood boards though. It makes so much from just 2 brown algae setups and overproduction doesnt bog down anything

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I've stared using infinite oil and science mods when I'm on biter maps. Anyone else use these mods? Super nice sometimes to not worry about transporting liquids around. Also super fast science makes research go so much faster, which allows for better defense earlier.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

charity rereg posted:

That's basically required for a megabase but it's pretty excessive for winning the game with your first rocket launch. For a starter base you can easily smelt 8 lanes of copper from one train stop. You dedicate half of your copper plates to make 4 belts of green circuits. Then you dedicate two belts of green for red circuits and 1 belt for purple circuits. I'm working on a megabase right now and I have 8 belts of green circuits that I can scale up to 12 with little effort. I still haven't been able to strain 8 belts of green but I'm working on it!

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

charity rereg posted:

Bummed about barrels but that makes sense, i hadn't considered them as a workaround for long haul, I just have fun making cool little barrel and unbarelling setups. I started playing in .16 so didn't ever see them in their former glory.

Good news is mods exist :toot:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Barrel-Size

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
So I switched my game version up from latest stable to one of the newer 1.7 versions since those have new interesting features. What's the most stable one of these, am I generally going to be pretty safe leaving it on latest experimental?

Also my initial base was small and cramped and under attack from all sides so instead of ripping up and rebuilding I started a new game post 1.7 with the intention of building MORE and BIGGER from the start, and it's working out great! (it turns out you can do research much faster if you are also producing much more, who would have thought!)

Base V1:

base V2:

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
If you aren't using mods I'd say there is basically no risk of being on experimental. It has broken some mods with some of the incremental updates but they usually are fixed within a few days, I've only ever had 1 crash in experimental and it was fixed in the next patch.

Also to the person who was talking about Seablock circuits, you can use straight wood from arboretums to make wood boards also, I had a lot of tree production so I was able to do that. I just built a new much larger block of production for green circuits and it involved I think something like 10 brown and 4 green to support the paper making, that is all Mk3 algae though so not sure how much that changes the calculation. 2:1 brown:green should be enough I think to start I am pretty sure I have a few setups like that too from experimenting early on. You'll need to probably convert some of the green into charcoal to make CO2 to continue the loop unless you have a large supply already you can pipe over.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

1. Is there a way to get more accurate counts of items? For example, if I hook a chest up to a telephone pole, and I have 2635 copper in the chest, the icon on the pole will say 2.6K. I would like it to show the exact number. Same with production statistics and electric network info. I would like to see exactly how many solar panels and accumulators I have instead of it being rounded to the nearest 100.

2. Is there a way to remotely connect logistic information without running green/red wires? My accumulators are very far from my steam engines and I would like to trigger the steam engines when the accumulators drop below a threshold, but I'd like to do it without running logistic wires across the map. I'm open to using mods if one is available.

3. Is there a mod that has integrated circuits such as AND/OR/XOR and latches? I know these can be built with combinators, but it would be nice if I could just plunk down a single item instead.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
As for #2, the easy solution is basically that all accumulators are essentially linked to each other regardless of distance, so put one near your steam engines and wire that one in

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Welp, shortly after my last post when I said I was having a hard time consuming 8 belts of green circuits I finally crossed the threshold. I rebuilt my blue science to address a bottleneck and it cascaded demand across the entire base emptying my 2 meager belts of red circuits. To address the issue I'll have to add 4 belts of green and then double red and purple circuit production. Before doing that, I'll need to double my power output which necessitates some improvements to the massive network of water pipes needed to sustain it. I have been sitting comfortably at 3 gigawatts of consumption but I have enough space allocated to scale up to 20 gigawatts because why not, nuclear is basically free in the end game.

One problem I'm having difficulty solving is plastic. I'll need two more belts to feed my red circuits but I can't seem to get enough petroleum gas into the plastic factories. Oil processing is at the bottom of my base and it has to travel a pretty long distance up to the plastic but the pressure drops off pretty quickly. I installed a series of pumps but it only partially improved the problem. There's a surplus of petroleum in the tank storage at the oil processing site so I'm wondering if I'm encountering a pipe throughput issue. Is pipe throughput a problem with 4 lanes of plastic? I'm going to need 6 lanes moving forward so I'm curious about the best way to solve this.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

RVWinkle posted:

One problem I'm having difficulty solving is plastic. I'll need two more belts to feed my red circuits but I can't seem to get enough petroleum gas into the plastic factories. Oil processing is at the bottom of my base and it has to travel a pretty long distance up to the plastic but the pressure drops off pretty quickly. I installed a series of pumps but it only partially improved the problem. There's a surplus of petroleum in the tank storage at the oil processing site so I'm wondering if I'm encountering a pipe throughput issue. Is pipe throughput a problem with 4 lanes of plastic? I'm going to need 6 lanes moving forward so I'm curious about the best way to solve this.

If you mean 4 blue belts of plastic, that's 1800 petro gas per second, which is more than one pipe can handle unless it's really short. There are basically three ways you can compensate for this:

1) Periodic pumps, maybe coupled with multiple pipelines.
2) Moving your plastic production near your refineries and training the plastic.
3) Training the petro gas to your plastic production instead of running a long pipe.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

RVWinkle posted:

UraniumAnchor posted:

1) Periodic pumps, maybe coupled with multiple pipelines.
2) Moving your plastic production near your refineries and training the plastic.
3) Training the petro gas to your plastic production instead of running a long pipe.

4) Coal liquefaction cracking to petroleum to plastic.

Three of these can be fed from a single fully compacted blue belt of coal and of course some water. Produces more than 1 compressed red belt of plastic. I'm sure it could be made much prettier and probably make more using beacons and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

The Locator posted:

4) Coal liquefaction cracking to petroleum to plastic.

Three of these can be fed from a single fully compacted blue belt of coal and of course some water. Produces more than 1 compressed red belt of plastic. I'm sure it could be made much prettier and probably make more using beacons and stuff.

This is a variant of #2, but yeah, this is also an option because then the only input needs to be coal and water, once you've primed the heavy oil.