Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Flopsy posted:

See Minccino and Cinccino are the concept done right to me. They have a genuinely nifty theme (fashionata wearing their own fur) and a very good ability with the moves to take advantage of it. If pikaclones were more like them and the Marill line I'd probably be more into them. My only wish is that their shiny was closer to the blue gray of the actual animal's fur.

You can't convince me that Marrill isn't gen 2's pikaclone.

Also Pidgey is the Pidgey of gen 2, not Hoothoot.

I will die on that hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hoothoot is kinda meant to show off the day/night mechanic I think, while Pichu probably counts as the pikaclone but there's arguments for both, especially since Marill showed up early in the anime.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Xander B Coolridge posted:

You can't convince me that Marrill isn't gen 2's pikaclone.

Also Pidgey is the Pidgey of gen 2, not Hoothoot.

I will die on that hill

If they'd kept rolling with the theme of the pikaclones being different types with actual good moves and abilities I'd shut my mouth. Hell I'm dreading the pika-capybara at this point.

edit: Unless they make the second type water then i'll let it slide.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The only real reason why some people include Marill as a Pikaclone, or the why that Pikablu rumor started in the first place is probably due to Marill's tail being a zigzag line.

Luckily, it seems like Game Freak has understood that you can't just simply rehash Pikachu as a new Pokémon, and they've made efforts to make them stand out by designs and how they function: Gen 7 introduces 3 Pokémon that all have different takes on Pikachu: Alolan Raichu revamps a neglected old favorite with a never before seen type combination, Togedemaru is your more traditional Pikaclone with a type combination that hasn't been used in a while and Mimikyu isn't even a rodent at all (or any sort of animal as its true form is supposed to curse people) but wants to get in on Pikachu's popularity.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Flopsy posted:

If they'd kept rolling with the theme of the pikaclones being different types with actual good moves and abilities I'd shut my mouth. Hell I'm dreading the pika-capybara at this point.

edit: Unless they make the second type water then i'll let it slide.

That's why I prefer Marill and Mimikyu to all the other Pikaclones. They have an ounce of creativity beyond "Pikachu but uhh he can fly now" "Pikachu but there's two of him" etc.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
how is marril a pikaclone, is any pokemon clearly made to be cute a pokeclone now

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
my favorite pokeclone is rimbombee

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mine is Maractus, followed by Mareanie.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

how is marril a pikaclone, is any pokemon clearly made to be cute a pokeclone now
his name is pikablu and I hope that answers your question

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

That's why I prefer Marill and Mimikyu to all the other Pikaclones. They have an ounce of creativity beyond "Pikachu but uhh he can fly now" "Pikachu but there's two of him" etc.
have you ever seen an emolga?

If Emolga is just a Pikachu that can fly, then Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is just a Michael Cera that can lift.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Round, two-stage mouse with small, black eyes, similar faces and a crooked tail?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

And the cheeks! Dont forget Pikachu's trademark electric cheeks!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Azurill also has those cheek circles (though not to store electricity)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I think Azurill is my least favorite Pokemon.

Azumarill and Marill are both cute and powerful.

Azurill, meanwhile, has a terrible design and is just all around not great. Most baby forms are uncute and I'm glad gamefreak stopped making them, but Azurill is the worst by far.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they changed the chance azurill had of switching genders which was the only cool thing about it

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Marill and Mimikyu are Pikachu clones (in the sense that they’re obviously mascot bait), but they’re not Pikaclones. Neither of them can learn Nuzzle, so neither of them count. :colbert:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The only thing I dislike about Azurill is that it’s Normal instead of Water

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Most baby forms are uncute and I'm glad gamefreak stopped making them, but Azurill is the worst by far.

14/18 of them are good and some are even better than what they evolve into

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Any of you fellas have a swirlix in your gen 6 friend safaris? There's literally no other way to get its hidden ability, and my safari's all poison.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

BattleCattle posted:

Any of you fellas have a swirlix in your gen 6 friend safaris? There's literally no other way to get its hidden ability, and my safari's all poison.

Yes, and I just caught one, what would you like me to do with this knowledge?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Kurieg posted:

Yes, and I just caught one, what would you like me to do with this knowledge?

I want to trade so I can initiate it into my Perfect Cinnamon Boy Breeding Program (tm), how the heck do we do this.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Diamond so I'm diving into Ultra Moon with a pledge to use 'mons that are new to me. So no Abra, Murkrow, etc.

Really digging it so far. So far I have Torracat, Zorua, Cutiefly, Inkey, Hawlucha, and Crabrawler. Hawlucha fuckin rules. I had Noibat because hey early Dragon but I have a feeling it doesn't get very strong. Probably gonna bench Inkey soon too.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm playing the GBC card game sequel, and after the initial (skippable) tutorial the game feels like an extension of the first one, the catch being your deck was stolen. The boss battles (and indeed many of their gym trainer analogues) all have some gimmick to their fight, in addition to more diverse deck than their names would imply. So for example, one trainer doesn't let you use Trainer cards, and another fights without resistance being applied. It all adds up to being very similar to Norman's gym and forcing you to adapt in ways that "gyms but they're different types in different orders" doesn't. In other words, it feels like a true sequel because you have to have some skill coming into the game from playing the last that isn't really necessary with the mainline games.

It would never happen, but this is how the Pokemon sequels should be. Akin to Super Mario 2 - a real followup instead of simply another entry.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

BattleCattle posted:

I want to trade so I can initiate it into my Perfect Cinnamon Boy Breeding Program (tm), how the heck do we do this.

Step 1 is taking this conversation over to this thread.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

Really digging it so far. So far I have Torracat, Zorua, Cutiefly, Inkey, Hawlucha, and Crabrawler. Hawlucha fuckin rules. I had Noibat because hey early Dragon but I have a feeling it doesn't get very strong. Probably gonna bench Inkey soon too.

Inkay evolves to Malamar which is pretty neat with Superpower, but to get it to evolve is very weird. You literally have to hold your 3DS upside down during the level up of 30 (or up).

Noibat evolves to Noivern which is kind of a glass cannon/supporter. There will be a stronger dragon (pseudo-legendary) later in the game, but you may want to go in with Noivern til then if you want a dragon.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
There’s also Drampa and Exeggutor for dragons in the UM campaign

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Saoshyant posted:

Inkay evolves to Malamar which is pretty neat with Superpower, but to get it to evolve is very weird. You literally have to hold your 3DS upside down during the level up of 30 (or up).

Noibat evolves to Noivern which is kind of a glass cannon/supporter. There will be a stronger dragon (pseudo-legendary) later in the game, but you may want to go in with Noivern til then if you want a dragon.

I'll keep that in mind!

Edit: I'm being assaulted by a fat bird in a bone diaper.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 14, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Saoshyant posted:

The issue with Noibat is it evolves super late and Noibat has horrifically bad stats until evolution. Its really rough to actually use it in game because you're essentially dragging a Magikarp around until level 48.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TheHoosier posted:

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Diamond so I'm diving into Ultra Moon with a pledge to use 'mons that are new to me. So no Abra, Murkrow, etc.

Noibat gets pretty darn strong it just takes forever to evolve. Most dragons do.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I am also using only mons new to me in my Ultra Moon game. Here's my team just before fighting Elite Four:

- Primarina
- Toucannon
- Vikavolt
- Tsareena
- Aurorus
- Goodra

I drafted Tsareena only as a backup and she turned out to be the most useful in the team. Power Whip + High Jump Kick + high attack stat destroys most things.

Wanted to add Larvesta but lol at the 1% find rate. Wish they'd just stick rare mons in hard-to-find or hard-to-get-to places instead.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

TheHoosier posted:

I'll keep that in mind!

Edit: I'm being assaulted by a fat bird in a bone diaper.

Usual Saturday night down the town tbh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my favorite pikaclone is you, the person reading this post, you cutie

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

:blush:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

:3: aw shucks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im a fat pikachu clone

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Countblanc posted:

im a fat pikachu clone

That's just a Raichu.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dias posted:

That's just a Raichu.

Nah that was OG Pikachu, murdered in the crib by the marketing department.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Flopsy posted:

:3: aw shucks.

Really late, but you wouldn't happen to still have that shiny Bewear would you? Do you still need a hidden ability Passimian?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I don’t know about you guys, but I always use ‘mons that are new to me in each playthrough.

Speaking of each playthrough, I’m transferring up some champs from Gen 4 and currently have them in White 2. Are there any exclusive Move Tutors worth grabbing while here? And Unova has no ribbons, right? Not even champion ribbon?

The pokés in question:
Breloom
Swampert
Marowak
Tentacruel
Glaceon
Golduck
Pinsir
Alomomola
Golurk
Sneasel
Seviper
Altaria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Chill Penguin posted:

I don’t know about you guys, but I always use ‘mons that are new to me in each playthrough.

Likewise. I reuse mons in specific situations (a monotype or Nuzlocke run, or if they get something new that's important enough to merit that, such as Mega Blaziken and Fairy Azumarill in Y) but otherwise I like using new stuff. It's boring to use the same mons over and over again with so many!