Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

We know Maya led the Middle Army. The idea that this was a direct result of her being 'better' than Incubus at anything has no evidence. I mean, she was transparently more skilled at 'becoming leader of the Middle Army' but that's it. Mottom got her Key by stabbing her husband through the eye while he slept. Mammon bought his. The only requirement to take power is taking it; there is no barrier of skill or virtue. If the other demiurges claim Incubus doesn't deserve his throne, they do so to pretend they deserve theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What's really interesting to me is that we don't yet know exactly what take Auntie Maya has on Meti's philosophy today, or which of them was really the wiser.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rand Brittain posted:

What's really interesting to me is that we don't yet know exactly what take Auntie Maya has on Meti's philosophy today, or which of them was really the wiser.
After these last few pages, my best prediction is "completely misses the point."

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Have we figured out which one of them is Storm Shadow and which one is Snake Eyes yet?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nobody ever talks about the philosophers who were content to agree w their masters

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

We know Maya led the Middle Army. The idea that this was a direct result of her being 'better' than Incubus at anything has no evidence. I mean, she was transparently more skilled at 'becoming leader of the Middle Army' but that's it. Mottom got her Key by stabbing her husband through the eye while he slept. Mammon bought his. The only requirement to take power is taking it; there is no barrier of skill or virtue. If the other demiurges claim Incubus doesn't deserve his throne, they do so to pretend they deserve theirs.
I think the context of how each demiurge "took" their key is what might be different from Incubus. Killing a person in their sleep or amassing great wealth are still proactive means of acquiring a key, we don't know how Incubus acquired his own key but we already know the other demiurges view him as a pretender and king of a vacant throne. So even though he's a great swordmaster it's not like we know he got his key the same way Solomon did by killing someone else, he probably showed up to the middle army expecting a duel and instead found and empty throne and maya's key.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Rand Brittain posted:

Meti was killed and Maya was not. That's all that needs to be said.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
everybody dies eventually dude

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that argument presumes that living is wisdom

EDIT: NOTE: k6bdposting not sadposting

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

PMush Perfect posted:

After these last few pages, my best prediction is "completely misses the point."

I dunno, "I wish I could say I was a noodle vendor, but unfortunately instead I Cut things really good" seems like she got it, albeit late.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
It seems from casual glance that Meti's training methods produces one or two type of warriors. Either someone absolutely disgusted by the sword, very good at cutting not much else. And/Or a megalomaniac.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
There's probably some story behind Incubus behind the eternally disrepected upstart, but it might be as simple as the Demiurges needing a pecking order and "who the hell is this benchwarmer and when is Maya coming back?" enough of a sentiment to designate him as the lowest on it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they all hate each other, having a bottom bitch to communally piss on wasnt inevitable but certainly always likely

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
If Sword Law is suffering, and Maya hates Incubus

...did she leave him the key knowing it'd make him miserable?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
reach heaven through spite

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fish Noise posted:

The ultimate revenge

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Fish Noise posted:

Honestly that's believable but also I'm pretty sure Maya made herself just as miserable, as a true student of Meti would.

Like, she significantly overestimated her own ability to not give a gently caress, and now when she sees the key in Allison's skull she joins the Pursuers because it turns out she never kicked the omniversal devastation habit.

This whole backstory is fantastic and I can't wait for Allison to YEET herself through Maya and Incubus' legendary rivalry by pure accident, somehow exploding it more than either of them thought possible.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Maybe she'll take a more active interest in Allison (besides the "idly joining a mob of killers to hunt her" time-waster) whe she realizes who's her mentor.

I can't wait to see her smugness when Incubus's plans inevitably go to hell.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the maya training arc will only become the darkest after she discovers allisons been learning from incubus, clearly

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Joe Slowboat posted:

Honestly that's believable but also I'm pretty sure Maya made herself just as miserable, as a true student of Meti would.

Like, she significantly overestimated her own ability to not give a gently caress, and now when she sees the key in Allison's skull she joins the Pursuers because it turns out she never kicked the omniversal devastation habit.

I always thought Maya was following Allison out of curiosity more than anything else. Giving a gently caress about possessing a key isn't really her style.

Eglamore
Apr 19, 2005

Walker told me I have AIDS.
To me this whole flashback basically says that it's probably Incubus that understood the teachings, and Maya that didn't. Leading an army, for example, seems particularly un-Meti like. Also, even though her sword is broken, Maya uses it, while Incubus hasn't. He's also the sword master of the two. He doesn't actually fight. So maybe Maya wasn't royal enough to keep her key.

Like, the point being that it's not good to be a master of the sword and true mastery makes you into the gross thing that Incubus is. Living in a pit of filth is an amplified version of being a drunk in a barrel.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I always assumed it was because Maya "Murder the gods and topple their thrones" was interested in disrupting the cosmic order and sees Allison as a good path to do that. I don't think she wants the key.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Given neither live naked in a barrel, I don't think either of them truly followed in Meti's footsteps. They both betrayed her lessons in their own ways.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Given neither live naked in a barrel, I don't think either of them truly followed in Meti's footsteps. They both betrayed her lessons in their own ways.

What is a tower but a very big barrel

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Eglamore posted:

To me this whole flashback basically says that it's probably Incubus that understood the teachings, and Maya that didn't. Leading an army, for example, seems particularly un-Meti like. Also, even though her sword is broken, Maya uses it, while Incubus hasn't. He's also the sword master of the two. He doesn't actually fight. So maybe Maya wasn't royal enough to keep her key.

Like, the point being that it's not good to be a master of the sword and true mastery makes you into the gross thing that Incubus is. Living in a pit of filth is an amplified version of being a drunk in a barrel.
I think there was a switch over the years. Incubus understood the laws but eventually became consumed by a need to win which isn't what your supposed to do. Meanwhile Maya stepped down from her position and became a bum and drunk which is very Meti-like.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, did Meti actually accomplish anything? Being the most like Meti isn't the same as winning.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, let's not assume Meti was perfectly correct in all things.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Lemony posted:

I always assumed it was because Maya "Murder the gods and topple their thrones" was interested in disrupting the cosmic order and sees Allison as a good path to do that. I don't think she wants the key.

Her brief chat with Allison early on would suggest that she's really not interested in the key for herself. The proverb she recites about the pebble is encouraging in it's own way.

Though, as Maya herself reminds, both she and Meti have a history of being habitual drunks, so their advice should be taken with a grain of salt, if at all.

Sherry Bahm fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 14, 2019

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
There is no real reason to think that miss 'the only way to Sword Good is to only know cutting any nothing else' would be good enough at teaching that her lessons actually impart what they are intended to.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Her brief chat with Allison early on would suggest that she's really not interested in the key for herself. The proverb she recites about the pebble is encouraging in it's own way.

And she tells Allison she's doing very well with the teleporting given how short she's been learning and should keep trying hard!

It's also implied she directly attacks Juggernaut Star to keep him from pursuing Allison, although keeping him from the key could be self-serving as well.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Maya referring to the other pursuers as "a parade of fools" would also suggest that she's not in it for the same reasons they are.

But again, she could just as easily be including herself in that list of fools.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm pretty sure that Incubus got his key from the ruler of the middle army. I mean, I guess that there could have been an intermediate ruler of the middle army but that seems like bad story.telling.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Who What Now posted:

I'm pretty sure that Incubus got his key from the ruler of the middle army. I mean, I guess that there could have been an intermediate ruler of the middle army but that seems like bad story.telling.

Yes, and...?

My point is that the idea of 'legitimacy' in becoming a demiurge is hilariously inapplicable. Incubus' legitimacy crisis is in his own head and how the other demiurges behave towards him, there's no reason to believe it reflects any kind of moral or spiritual state that all the other demiurges would equally fail to possess.

Nobody can 'earn' being a multiversal ruler. They can at best be qualified to do it well, though I also question how 'well' one can rule a universe beyond abdicating and going to have a tea shop, which neatly removes you from the category. Maya's abdication, not her path to power, is what might set her above Incubus.

E: I do think it's likely Incubus showed up for the final confrontation with Maya and didn't get the fight he wanted, so all the other demiurges go 'well she would have won if she fought you' but that doesn't actually show anything about his moral or spiritual worth or capacity compared to hers. The idea that there's a clear distinction between the rest of them and Incubus seems frankly against the themes of the comic, which include 'extraordinarily powerful savants make decisions for the same dumb reasons other people do, and the only thing power proves is that you have power.' Incubus could be the most subtle, competent, and philosophically minded demiurge, a true hero who followed his master's teachings utterly (which, clearly he's not) but it wouldn't ensure he got respect or was understood by his peers. And he doesn't seem able to handle that.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 14, 2019

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Solomon David spells it out: Succession and legitimacy is decided by violence and violence alone. Laws and morality have nothing to do with it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

personally i don't believe a single word anyone says in this comic or the text beneath unless it was aesma

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Patware posted:

personally i don't believe a single word anyone says in this comic or the text beneath unless it was aesma
Even Pree Aesma ultimately failed to achieve Royalty in the end.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Well, let's see what happens to people that attain Royalty. One of them lives in a barrel for years and eventually is killed by her own student. One gets beheaded by angels in the middle of bumfuck nowhere after causing a literally universal war. One is a dick that treats his daughter like poo poo and gets his head beat in for smoking too much. Royalty kind of sucks. Noodle vending is absolutely a better alternative.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tollymain posted:

nobody ever talks about the philosophers who were content to agree w their masters

Excluding Plato and Aristotle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

SunAndSpring posted:

What is a tower but a very big barrel

:hmmyes: