Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

WilliamAnderson posted:

So this is a list of games I came up with, probably a bunch of them are crap, but if anyone sees any glaring omissions, let me know.

code:
ape escape
arc the lad 1-3
battle arena toshinden
blaster master: blasting again
breath of fire III
breath of fire IV
castlevania chronicles
castlevania SOTN
chrono cross
cool boarders 2
crash 1-3
croc legend of the gobbos
croc 2
destruction derby
die hard trilogy
digimon world 1-3
dragon warrior VII
final fantasy anthology
final fantasy origins
final fantasy chronicles
final fantasy VIII
final fantasy IX
final fantasy tactics
grand theft auto
grand theft auto II
grand theft auto london 1969
grandia
harry potter 1
hot shotd golf
jojo's bizarre adventure
jumping flash
legend of mana
lunar: silver star story complete
lunar 2: eternal blue complete
mega man 8
mega man legends
mega man legends 2
mega man X4
mega man X5
mega man X6
metal gear solid vr missions
the misadventures of tron bonne
the next tetris
oddworld able's odyssey
ogre battle: the march of the black queen
pac man world
parappa the rapper
parasite eve
parasite eve 2
pepsiman
persona
persona 2
r-types
r-type delta
rayman 2
reboot
resident evil director's cut
resident evil 2
resident evil 3
romance of the three kingdoms 4 and 6
spyro 1-3
tactics ogre: let us cling together
tales of destiny
tales of eternia
tekken 3
tetris plus
tom clancy's rainbow six
tomb raider 1-5
tony hawk's pro skater 3
vagrant story
valkyrie profile
wipeout 3
xenogears

This is a good list, but you might also consider:

Armored Core
Bushido Blade 1+2
Crash Team Racing
Ergheiz
Suikoden 1+2
Twisted Metal 2
Tenchu
Jackie Chan Stuntmaster

Also, I think you'll need analog sticks for Ape Escape, so you'll need something other than the controllers bundled with the PS Classic for that.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McCoy Pauley posted:

This is a good list, but you might also consider:

Armored Core
Bushido Blade 1+2
Crash Team Racing
Ergheiz
Suikoden 1+2
Twisted Metal 2
Tenchu
Jackie Chan Stuntmaster

Also, I think you'll need analog sticks for Ape Escape, so you'll need something other than the controllers bundled with the PS Classic for that.

Ape Escape is unplayable without a Dualshock because the R-Stick's used for swinging your Gadgets about.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

univbee posted:

where are they down to $40CAD? gonna pick some up at that price.

Walmart, they're definitely trying to liquidate stock. Says it's a sale until April 26.

Also, thanks for the advice everyone! Avoided fighting games on the list since the second controller slot will have the USB stick in it. Croc was only on the list to see how bad it was, since I saw all the ads for it as a kid.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i had no idea Croc was originally planned as a Yoshi game, thats hilarious. its controls were some of the most obtuse and terrible id ever seen in a platformer. maybe croc 2 is better?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

From what I remember, they were surprised and offended that Nintendo turned them down, too. "What are they thinking? This is revolutionary! We made a platformer in 3D!"

Then Mario 64 came out

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

WilliamAnderson posted:

Walmart, they're definitely trying to liquidate stock. Says it's a sale until April 26.

Also, thanks for the advice everyone! Avoided fighting games on the list since the second controller slot will have the USB stick in it. Croc was only on the list to see how bad it was, since I saw all the ads for it as a kid.

Last I checked the state of PS Classic modding, it sounded like eventually something was going to be worked out to allow you to use a thumb drive in the back, with an OTG cable, freeing up both front ports.

Also, I believe that even right now, one can use a powered USB hub to allow for up to 4 controllers in Port 1.

I haven't tested it, but if in fact that works, then having 4 local players would make Circuit Breakers pretty much the best PS1 game one could play.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It is possible to use a Dualshock 4 on a Playstation Classic if you use the 8bitdo adapter. You can even go into the emulator settings and set up the control sticks.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

It is possible to use a Dualshock 4 on a Playstation Classic if you use the 8bitdo adapter. You can even go into the emulator settings and set up the control sticks.

Does the 8bitdo adapter let you connect multiple controllers? Like could I use 4 DS4s with it?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Does the 8bitdo adapter let you connect multiple controllers? Like could I use 4 DS4s with it?

One receiver per controller. I looked that one up for a retrogaming PC I'm building that I can't use normal bluetooth on for compatibility reasons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dash Rendar posted:

i had no idea Croc was originally planned as a Yoshi game, thats hilarious. its controls were some of the most obtuse and terrible id ever seen in a platformer. maybe croc 2 is better?

I had no idea either. I haven't played Croc myself, all I know of it is to stay well away from it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's a platformer with tank controls. that pretty much says it all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
List also does not contain Einhander.

Trash list for trash classic console

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

WilliamAnderson posted:

So this is a list of games I came up with, probably a bunch of them are crap, but if anyone sees any glaring omissions, let me know.

From that list that I can comment on and without worrying about what's missing:

dragon warrior VII - 3DS remake that I'm assuming is better (though I don't like it to begin with tbh)
final fantasy anthology - Has the worst version of those games
final fantasy chronicles - Has the worst version of those games
final fantasy tactics - People are still attached to this vs. the new translation but there is a newer translation (it's more coherent at least)
grandia - This is getting a PC and Switch port that is supposed to merge things between the PS1 and Saturn versions
ogre battle: the march of the black queen - This is a port of the SNES game except it has load times
persona - Has a better version on the PSP without a weirdo translation and a blackface character
reboot - just a terrible loving awful game
tactics ogre: let us cling together - Also a port of a SNES game which eventually got a fan translation, but also there's a remake on PSP
tomb raider 1-5 - Maybe don't need to play any after 2, at least not 3 or 5.

Edit: Games I would add:
Ace Combat 2
Alundra
Brave Fencer Musashi
Bushido Blade
Bushido Blade 2
Einhander
Front Mission 3
G Darius
Ghost in the Shell
Heart of Darkness
Klonoa
Koudelka
Philosoma
R4
Rising Zan
SaGa Frontier
SaGa Frontier 2
Silent Bomber
Strider 2
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Tail Concerto
Tales of Phantasia w/ Translation Patch
The Granstream Saga
Tomba!
Tomba! 2
Treasures of the Deep

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 12, 2019

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Trap Gunner is a fun spy vs spy style game that has some issues but the presentation and amazingly inappropriate character select song make it a classic. The announcer is also great. I can hear him pronouncing the character Names as I sleep

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

Phantasium posted:

ogre battle: the march of the black queen - This is a port of the SNES game except it has load times
I'm playing through this right now. The only load times are 10 secs when you save or load and 5 secs when you load a map but I'm playing the game off my hard drive so maybe load times are longer if you played it from disc. This version does have some nice quality of life tweaks. You can save at any time unlike the snes version though if you play it on the classic you could do the same with save states and those save/load faster. It does have a more polished script, different visual effects on some moves, you can see your character attacks on the view tab in the edit units menu and most important of all special characters keep their palette when you change classes!! I turned Ashe into a Vampire ftw :razzy: After being imprisoned for 20 years I thought he deserved a second chance at life :unsmith:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

FilthyImp posted:

List also does not contain Einhander.

Trash list for trash classic console

Was also going to say this. Einhander was so cool.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

There was a time in the era of great chaos

When the earth and the moon were at war with each other.

*cue kicking Rad music*

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Overbite posted:

Trap Gunner is a fun spy vs spy style game that has some issues but the presentation and amazingly inappropriate character select song make it a classic. The announcer is also great. I can hear him pronouncing the character Names as I sleep

In that regard Ehrgeiz is also a good candidate, having quite possibly the most obnoxious menu sound effects in a game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RandomFerret posted:

From what I remember, they were surprised and offended that Nintendo turned them down, too. "What are they thinking? This is revolutionary! We made a platformer in 3D!"

Then Mario 64 came out

The president of Argonaut claimed Nintendo stole their idea for a 3D platfomer when they made Mario 64, as if "3D platformer" is something only they could have thought up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The president of Argonaut claimed Nintendo stole their idea for a 3D platfomer when they made Mario 64, as if "3D platformer" is something only they could have thought up.

Especially when Andross/etc. most certainly were inspired by I, Robot from 1984. There's also an older Midway game called Blaster that's like, I mean it's 2D graphics but holy loving poo poo that game is amazing and it has the archways to fly under for stuff like Starfox and everything.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Overbite posted:

The announcer is also great. I can hear him pronouncing the character Names as I sleep
TRAAAP GUNN NERR

I remember the title being spoken and under a lot of processing for some reason.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Please throw Devil Dice on that list thank you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I played Croc a bunch as a kid and sucked at it, always wondered if Argonaut was related to the Argonaut in the credits of Star Fox. Apparently it was considered mediocre at the time but sold pretty well probably because it was cute and marketable.

I actually played Croc 2, it's bad.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

FilthyImp posted:

TRAAAP GUNN NERR

I remember the title being spoken and under a lot of processing for some reason.

I was remembering something different so I looked it up and apparently the japanese and english versions had different announcers. This is the japanese version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCliOdlQuTc&t=110s

This is the US version which is the one I think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAugCi7r1Kk&t=21s

Also yea Devil Dice is great

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
No love for Ehrgeiz?

titty fat pizza
Jan 1, 2013

WilliamAnderson posted:

code:
ape escape
arc the lad 1-3
battle arena toshinden
blaster master: blasting again
breath of fire III
breath of fire IV
castlevania chronicles
castlevania SOTN
chrono cross
cool boarders 2
crash 1-3
croc legend of the gobbos
croc 2
destruction derby
die hard trilogy
digimon world 1-3
dragon warrior VII
final fantasy anthology
final fantasy origins
final fantasy chronicles
final fantasy VIII
final fantasy IX
final fantasy tactics
grand theft auto
grand theft auto II
grand theft auto london 1969
grandia
harry potter 1
hot shotd golf
jojo's bizarre adventure
jumping flash
legend of mana
lunar: silver star story complete
lunar 2: eternal blue complete
mega man 8
mega man legends
mega man legends 2
mega man X4
mega man X5
mega man X6
metal gear solid vr missions
the misadventures of tron bonne
the next tetris
oddworld able's odyssey
ogre battle: the march of the black queen
pac man world
parappa the rapper
parasite eve
parasite eve 2
pepsiman
persona
persona 2
r-types
r-type delta
rayman 2
reboot
resident evil director's cut
resident evil 2
resident evil 3
romance of the three kingdoms 4 and 6
spyro 1-3
tactics ogre: let us cling together
tales of destiny
tales of eternia
tekken 3
tetris plus
tom clancy's rainbow six
tomb raider 1-5
tony hawk's pro skater 3
vagrant story
valkyrie profile
wipeout 3
xenogears

Check out Alundra, Clock Tower, Discworld, Road Rash, Robopit, King’s Field 1 and 2, and Suikoden 1 and 2

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
How is the input lag on the SNES Classic compared to a Raspberry Pi? Is this effected if you dump a bunch of roms on it vs. playing the already included games?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

WilliamAnderson posted:

Toss out Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 and put in THPS 1 and 2. THPS 3 is a PS2/Xbox/GC era game, the PS1 version is an inferior (but surprisingly not entirely awful) version that tried to shove stripped-down versions of 3’s levels and moves into the older PS1-era game engine. THPS 1 and 2 were the classic PS1-era skating games and still hold up as fun games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Blotto_Otter posted:

Toss out Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 and put in THPS 1 and 2. THPS 3 is a PS2/Xbox/GC era game, the PS1 version is an inferior (but surprisingly not entirely awful) version that tried to shove stripped-down versions of 3’s levels and moves into the older PS1-era game engine. THPS 1 and 2 were the classic PS1-era skating games and still hold up as fun games.

Yeah, THPS1 is a wonderful game, but it's almost like Mega Man 1 compared to Mega Man 2; 1 showed the concept, and 2 made it perfect.

Except THPS1 isn't bullshit hard or as comparatively janky as MM1. Maybe a better comparison would be Portal 1 vs Portal 2. Both great, but 2 is just so much better than the first.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

How is the input lag on the SNES Classic compared to a Raspberry Pi? Is this effected if you dump a bunch of roms on it vs. playing the already included games?

I haven’t noticed any input lag from any game on the SNES classic, original games or games that were added later included. There is some slowdown in games that had slowdown on the original hardware, like Star Fox and Mega Man X, but that’s not really input lag.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, THPS1 is a wonderful game, but it's almost like Mega Man 1 compared to Mega Man 2; 1 showed the concept, and 2 made it perfect.

Except THPS1 isn't bullshit hard or as comparatively janky as MM1. Maybe a better comparison would be Portal 1 vs Portal 2. Both great, but 2 is just so much better than the first.

I completely agree. THPS 2 is my favorite (though on some days I might put 3 up there with it, in terms of gameplay) and was a huge, huge jump from 1 - but 1 is still fun and it's remarkable how of the formula they nailed right out of the gate. I replayed 1 and 2 a few months ago and I think they hold up a lot better than most games from the PS1/N64 era. But then again, I also think 1-3 hold up better than anything after THPS 4, so maybe I'm just old.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That soundtrack in THPS2 :discourse:

BRING THE NOISE

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blotto_Otter posted:

I completely agree. THPS 2 is my favorite (though on some days I might put 3 up there with it, in terms of gameplay) and was a huge, huge jump from 1 - but 1 is still fun and it's remarkable how of the formula they nailed right out of the gate. I replayed 1 and 2 a few months ago and I think they hold up a lot better than most games from the PS1/N64 era. But then again, I also think 1-3 hold up better than anything after THPS 4, so maybe I'm just old.

When I was selling my Dreamcast collection, I went through a binder of about 150 games to test all the discs were working. As soon as I got to THPS2 the night came to an end as man it's impossible to put that game down.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Blotto_Otter posted:

Yeah, that's exactly it; the skating 'feel' is incredible, even in 1, and with 2, they just added to it, without taking anything away. It's literally more and more of the same, which at that time was exactly what everyone wanted.

Man, I went from THPS1 on N64 to THPS2 on Dreamcast, and hoooooooly poo poo :eyepop:

And then my Dreamcast stopped reading discs properly :negative:

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

When I was selling my Dreamcast collection, I went through a binder of about 150 games to test all the discs were working. As soon as I got to THPS2 the night came to an end as man it's impossible to put that game down.

My two biggest retro gaming dreams are 1) current ports or re-issues of THPS 1/2/3 (I don't even care if they're just ROMs wrapped in an emulator, just put 'em on my Switch or PS4) or 2) a Dreamcast classic that I can hack and turn into a THPS1/2 and Crazy Taxi machine. Emphasis on the word "dreams" because I have made my peace with the fact that these things will never happen.

e: probably going to wind up buying one of those SD card thingamajigs for my Dreamcast some day just so that I can play the best versions of THPS1/2 forever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They did that with the tony hawk game released a few years ago. It was a blend of levels from 1 and 2. Everyone hated it because, surprise, the music contributed a lot of the feel of those games and that's expensive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As long as they conveniently leave it easy enough to add a "custom soundtrack" then all will be good.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

They did that with the tony hawk game released a few years ago. It was a blend of levels from 1 and 2. Everyone hated it because, surprise, the music contributed a lot of the feel of those games and that's expensive.

Everyone I know hated it because the physics were wack and felt like some off brand bargain bin ripoff too

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

it was rushed out because they were losing the license and needed to make one asap to bleed a little more money out of it.

the discs didn't ship with most of the game on it, it was on a day one patch because the game presumably wasn't finished when they printed the discs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I never picked that up because I heard bad things about it. The music is a huge deal (and also the reason we'll never see complete re-releases of those games), but IIRC it also only had a handful of levels, and I heard some complaints that the physics didn't feel quite right. I had a 360 at the time and that could play the Xbox versions of 2x and 3, so "only a handful of levels from 1 and 2 without the music and with questionable physics" didn't seem that great to me. I probably should've picked it up to try but too late now, it got delisted from XBLA a couple years back.

It would've been nice to see a brand-new iteration of the classic formula done by a competent developer, but I'm pretty sure THPS5 has guaranteed that'll never happen. RIP Tony Hawk.

e: I just remembered that Activision ported THPS 2 to iOS way back when! IIRC the soundtrack was not intact, but you could play songs from your phone's library if you wanted. And then it got delisted from the app store at some point, and then iOS 7introduced a game-crashing bug at launch, rendering it unplayable. :argh:

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 15, 2019