Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I like candied meats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Alitur posted:

Hm, not sure how trustworthy they are, but mod at Homestuck discord said that the next part will be released on 4/20. They are probably just memeing, but that does it necessarily mean that they are lying...
Also, team Meat.

The mods of the Discord don't know poo poo about poo poo.

And I'm team vegetables.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

A big flaming stink posted:

If Hussie pulls a full on Don Quixote Part 2 with homestuck he has my loving undivided attention

The Homestuck equivalent of Don Quixote part 2 already happened: Don Quixote part 2 was a mean spirited deconstructionive meta-narative of the authors own work which is a pretty spot on summary of Homestuck part 6 and up.

This is looking more like a hypothetical Don Quixote part 3 meta reconstruction of the text, intrested in seeing how that plays out.

Clawtopsy posted:

I wonder where everyone in the thread stands on the Meat/Candy choice.

I'm pretty obviously in Team Meat.

I like both, but honestly they're each pretty bad for you in large doses. You gotta eat fruit and vegetables and a bunch of other stuff is you wanna stay healthy and not die of diabetes or chronic constipation.

I wonder if that's going to factor into the story? A binary choice is presented with two flawed options (meat or candy), and in the end a hypothetical third and better choice is chosen (the healthy diet choice).

We'll just have to wait and see.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I thought this 4/13 was a total bust but the sentry worm body pillow is half off so I finally bought one.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

I thought this 4/13 was a total bust but the sentry worm body pillow is half off so I finally bought one.

Didn't you literally design that?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I was the change I wanted to see in the world.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

4am thoughts

So, Hussie's is making the Neverending Story parallels even more explicit in this epilogue.

NES: The childlike empress sends Atreyu off on a quest. She is ill. While the text of the quest is to stop an all-destroying evil, the subtext of the quest is to draw the book's audience attention, because the fantasy land's true problem is that it requires belief to survive.

Homestuck: Rose sends John off on a quest. She is ill. While the text of the quest is to stop an all-destroying evil, the subtext of the quest is to renew interest from the fandom, because Homestuck's problem is it's been three years and interest is waning.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I wonder if that's going to factor into the story? A binary choice is presented with two flawed options (meat or candy), and in the end a hypothetical third and better choice is chosen (the healthy diet choice).

I feel like we're going to get Root Double'd

someone photoshop N into Vriska

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

I was the change I wanted to see in the world.
I think the implication is that ByExploitedLaborForExploitedLabor should have given you one of the products you designed for goddamn free.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I really hope this is the case. It'll be a nice parallel to John's hidden third option to retcon all the oil off of his planet.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Spellman posted:

NO NEPETA?!!

i opened the epilogue thing and my eyes just instantly glossed over and i realized i dont have the capacity to care enough to read it, so thank you for confirming to me that im not missing out on anything

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Man this is the first "post-ending" thing I've read that genuinely makes me a bit excited. Even just those 3 pages of the prologue covered a fair bit of ground and set up some pretty interesting stuff, and it's nice that we're already getting more of that classic HS clever metanarrative fuckery. I'm really interested to see where this will go, especially since it seems pretty likely from the black/white split logo and the whole Meat vs Candy dichotomy that we're going to see both sides (and probably cross-over meta-wise a couple times because again, this IS Homestuck).

I realized at some point why Cephied_Variable's name sounded familiar, they wrote Cities in Dust (poo poo lets be hardboiled), which was one of the few HS fanfics I read and actually liked, way back when (and is apparently finished now so I guess I ought to give it a re-read), so I'm somewhat optimistic in that respect.

At any rate I guess it's nice to have at least a bit more Homestuck content that's significant enough to actually speculate on, that's a feeling I haven't had in quite awhile. Also apparently the entire thing is already fully written so we don't have to worry about more unexpected hiatuses. :v:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

gently caress, i guess i'm back in, i'm a sucker for navel gazing

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I read it and I liked it somewhat. MEAT or CANDY? I'm hoping for both.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Pants Donkey posted:

I think the implication is that ByExploitedLaborForExploitedLabor should have given you one of the products you designed for goddamn free.
Oh yeah, I think we can all take it as a given that 'should' has nothing to do with their business model. Or with a body pillow contest for that matter. I certainly wasn't going to buy one until it would about break even with payments anyway.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
ten years later and I'm checking for updates again

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
This is cool. I’m excited to see where this goes.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*ponders "Meat or Candy" YISUNishly*

*does jnana mudra with one hand and points at "or" with other*

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

So should we start a new thread for the epilogues or what

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Plom Bar posted:

it does seem like the one actual opportunity to make a new thread for like, a real reason

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

why bother when the epilogues will inevitably fizzle out and be left unfinished after a few entries, leaving the thread a barren wasteland once again where the only content will be people trying to figure out if meulin is canonically fat or just big boned

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't see a reason for a new thread given it's not in the way of discussion for this one.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

*ponders "Meat or Candy" YISUNishly*

*does jnana mudra with one hand and points at "or" with other*

John is Royalty, through dumbassery.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

John is Royalty, through dumbassery.

Why do you say that like there's a different path??? :thunk:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Freak Futanari posted:

why bother when the epilogues will inevitably fizzle out and be left unfinished after a few entries, leaving the thread a barren wasteland once again where the only content will be people trying to figure out if meulin is canonically fat or just big boned

The epilogues are already completely written so we don't have to worry about that.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
dont mind me just passing through to remind everyone how little i care

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

you fool. you complete buffoon. i care much less than you, making you look likeyou give a hell, in comparison.

anyway, someone please PM me if one of the epilogues involves any of the 3 cutest trolls from friendsim because i care more about those characters than the main homestuck cast and i have trouble reading things due to my crippling brain wrong so i dont want to risk reading anything that doesnt involve chixie x reader fully voiced fanfic narrated by some kind of prominent member of the ASRM community.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
We're 2000 pages in, what possible reason would we have for making a new thread? It's not like we're attracting new blood to Homestuck. This eternally long thread is both a monumemt and a warning: Homestuck was a mistake-- read it, and become Like Us.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
im hopeful because im an idiot who has no pattern recognition

i am being completely sincere

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
It's a really neat contrast to see this thread compared to twitter/discord views. All the pessimism and all the optimism is incredible.

But mostly this:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

No way! This thread is a historical monument! If it was a child it would be old enough that it would be able to walk and talk and have a sense of self by now.

Clawtopsy posted:

im hopeful because im an idiot who has no pattern recognition

i am being completely sincere

Same!

Edit:

Ledgem posted:

It's a really neat contrast to see this thread compared to twitter/discord views. All the pessimism and all the optimism is incredible.

But mostly this:

This thread is my only Homestuck connection, how has the epilogue been received elsewhere? So far it's been a moderate hit with this thread (And we hate Homestuck more than anyone!), are other places liking it too so far?

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 15, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's all coming back to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMcEBX74AWE

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I knew what it was going to be before I even clicked it :allears: it's still great even after all these years.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i give so many hells you wouldnt believe

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

upd8.ninja has been updated, for all your obsessing needs. Its nice feature is that it has a centrally-updated server that everybody else pings, so it doesn't hammer on homestuck.com continuously.

I like the epilogue. In particular, I like that it's diving straight into "Which reality did the kids who lost in Caliborn's Masterpiece come from?" Because those, not the survivors on Earth-C, were the kids who saved the day, and it's not clear what happened to them afterward except that they didn't make it out the door. I also like some acknowledgement that the Earth-C we saw in the credits kinda sucked.

As it happens, I had candied meat last night, at the restaurant Mourad, and it was excellent. Braised lamb that had been caramelized with sesame seeds, mmm. This is clearly the right solution.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010

This thread is my only Homestuck connection, how has the epilogue been received elsewhere? So far it's been a moderate hit with this thread (And we hate Homestuck more than anyone!), are other places liking it too so far?

According to twitter peeps it's a mix of hate and love but on the one discord I'm in it's pretty much entirely positive in a sense of being interested in seeing what comes next. For me It's like I was reading up on internet history that suddenly came back to life on my arrival. There are so many people who matched the age of the characters and have basically grown up along side it too either there the whole time or are coming back for it. This fandom is kinda ridiculous.

But yeah mostly seems to be really enjoyed. I just enjoy how tsundere some of the users here are towards it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

Why do you say that like there's a different path??? :thunk:

Well, he's missing the furious part of furious dumbassery.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

you fool. you complete buffoon. i care much less than you, making you look likeyou give a hell, in comparison.

anyway, someone please PM me if one of the epilogues involves any of the 3 cutest trolls from friendsim because i care more about those characters than the main homestuck cast and i have trouble reading things due to my crippling brain wrong so i dont want to risk reading anything that doesnt involve chixie x reader fully voiced fanfic narrated by some kind of prominent member of the ASRM community.

Hi. I regret to inform you that your praise of the friendsims has been so over-the-top that it has scared me away from them. Goodbye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Freak Futanari posted:

There will be new original characters, maybe they will be trolls