Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Clearly I will go sailing no more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

theflyingorc posted:

Fiddling with numbers a bit is one of the easiest game design tasks.

There's corner cases where it's a problem, but it's rarely gonna be that hard of a thing to do

That's exactly the kind of difficulty setting everyone hates and is considered lazy and ineffective, especially since it rarely makes the game significantly easier or harder but just more tedious. And it wouldn't work for a game like say, Cuphead, where changing the difficulty is a matter of changing attack patterns and such, which requires additional playtesting.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Fiddling with numbers a bit is one of the easiest game design tasks.

There's corner cases where it's a problem, but it's rarely gonna be that hard of a thing to do

It really isn't.

Finding the correct balance between "easy" and "boring" is difficult and varies heavily from game to game, and making an easy mode that keeps the game fun to play is actually really really hard. You need to figure out what the main appeal of your game is and figure out how to preserve that. Just raising/lowering numbers can actually make the experience worse.

For character action games for example it's usually a barrier not just to finish stages but to feel cool while doing so. If you put in a mode where everything dies in one hit anyone can finish your game but they don't feel strong while doing it and thus come across with a poorer feeling of the game. That is why games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta have "automatic" modes where button mashing makes cool combos automatically for you. However making sure these combos work right is an involved task.

Likewise, for example, a racing game is difficult to rebalance because 'make everything go slower' isn't really very fun because part of the appeal of racing games is the back and forth. You need to adjust the racer AI so it still seems to provide a challenge, which usually involves adjusting rubberbanding and finding the sweet spot there is very hard.

Or look at something like Silent Hill, where the story and atmosphere are a big part of the game. Maybe someone enjoys SH for the puzzles and the atmosphere but isn't big on the (usually pretty crappy) combat, or alternately maybe someone really enjoys the atmosphere but doesn't like getting roadblocked by puzzles. Silent Hill resolved this by having separate difficulty levels for combat and puzzles but that isn't just 'adjusting numbers' and a mere easy/normal/hard doesn't necessarily solve what is blocking people.

In fact that's a big problem with a lot of easy modes. They adjust enemy HP/damage and nothing else which only really works for pure combat focused games. Mega Man for example isn't going to necessarily be easier for people who have trouble with it if all the enemies have half health and you do double damage if the thing people have trouble with is the basic platforming. Mega Man 10 tried to solve this by reducing the number of pits on its easy mode but it arguably went too far and had a negative impact on the game.

Regardless, you can't just tweak numbers and be done with it. You need to figure out how to make the game easier while retaining your game's strengths and that can be a real challenge.

Edit: For some reason I thought this was a different thread, please forgive me lack of meme and wall of boring text.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 08:08 on Apr 14, 2019

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't.

Finding the correct balance between "easy" and "boring" is difficult and varies heavily from game to game, and making an easy mode that keeps the game fun to play is actually really really hard. You need to figure out what the main appeal of your game is and figure out how to preserve that. Just raising/lowering numbers can actually make the experience worse.

For character action games for example it's usually a barrier not just to finish stages but to feel cool while doing so. If you put in a mode where everything dies in one hit anyone can finish your game but they don't feel strong while doing it and thus come across with a poorer feeling of the game. That is why games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta have "automatic" modes where button mashing makes cool combos automatically for you. However making sure these combos work right is an involved task.

Likewise, for example, a racing game is difficult to rebalance because 'make everything go slower' isn't really very fun because part of the appeal of racing games is the back and forth. You need to adjust the racer AI so it still seems to provide a challenge, which usually involves adjusting rubberbanding and finding the sweet spot there is very hard.

Or look at something like Silent Hill, where the story and atmosphere are a big part of the game. Maybe someone enjoys SH for the puzzles and the atmosphere but isn't big on the (usually pretty crappy) combat, or alternately maybe someone really enjoys the atmosphere but doesn't like getting roadblocked by puzzles. Silent Hill resolved this by having separate difficulty levels for combat and puzzles but that isn't just 'adjusting numbers' and a mere easy/normal/hard doesn't necessarily solve what is blocking people.

In fact that's a big problem with a lot of easy modes. They adjust enemy HP/damage and nothing else which only really works for pure combat focused games. Mega Man for example isn't going to necessarily be easier for people who have trouble with it if all the enemies have half health and you do double damage if the thing people have trouble with is the basic platforming. Mega Man 10 tried to solve this by reducing the number of pits on its easy mode but it arguably went too far and had a negative impact on the game.

Regardless, you can't just tweak numbers and be done with it. You need to figure out how to make the game easier while retaining your game's strengths and that can be a real challenge.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't.

nah

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't.

Edit: For some reason I thought this was a different thread, please forgive me lack of meme and wall of boring text.
sir,

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't.

hmm

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Agreed, both on your point of easy not being an easy thing to make, and on this being the worst thread for that discussion.

meme: https://twitter.com/itanimeirl/status/1112790459682684929

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That said, it has come out of a few videos of people whose job it is to play and review games being worse at them than your tech-illiterate grandmother.

Thread remembers Polygon, I see.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
tl;dr it's like saying a movie needs to be '20% funnier'.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
In the easy mode for Planescape torment everyone just says yes.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Karate Bastard posted:

Here I was thinking you were going to say Planescape Torment is already easy mode because you can't die.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just like I wanna be the guy. What a tedious shitshow of insert time output winning.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Karate Bastard posted:

"Updated my walkthrough."

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
God those hanger comments really are always loving trash.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

It took all day for them to build up a 2-foot-tall mound of sand?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Irradiation posted:

God those hanger comments really are always loving trash.

au contraire

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

There's a world of difference between the post being humorous and a hanger on comment, and the comment being the humor itself

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
My dear sir, that dad be exceptionally funny even without that comment.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

It's pretty easy to sit behind your keyboard and make fun of those small of stature Mr. Normal Height.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm an Internet Normalperson.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Wot's Resilar?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cough syrup

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's exactly the kind of difficulty setting everyone hates and is considered lazy and ineffective, especially since it rarely makes the game significantly easier or harder but just more tedious. And it wouldn't work for a game like say, Cuphead, where changing the difficulty is a matter of changing attack patterns and such, which requires additional playtesting.

That is not most games.

Controlling difficulty can be done pretty easily through numbers, especially in numbers-driven titles like Sekiro. Modifying the damage you do and take by 20% would have a huge impact on difficulty.

A lot of games do this horrendously by just giving the enemies more health - literally the worst way to do it - but it's seriously not a huge burden.

But yeah, i probably didn't learn anything during my ten years in the industry, thanks for explaining it to me

Edit: thanks other guy for bringing up racing games like that's relevant for some reason

theflyingorc has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Apr 14, 2019

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Platystemon posted:

That’s not it, Commander.

It very much is it, Spergs McKenzie.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sorry about your bad easy modes, op.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I see the problem, we were talking about easy mode but some of you made a typo and went into essay mode

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

I see the problem, we were talking about easy mode but some of you made a typo and went into essay mode

Oh cool, didn't know Travis Scott made a follow-up song.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Missing "enabled Charles Manson" for both, weirdly.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

That is not most games.

Controlling difficulty can be done pretty easily through numbers, especially in numbers-driven titles like Sekiro. Modifying the damage you do and take by 20% would have a huge impact on difficulty.

A lot of games do this horrendously by just giving the enemies more health - literally the worst way to do it - but it's seriously not a huge burden.

But yeah, i probably didn't learn anything during my ten years in the industry, thanks for explaining it to me

Edit: thanks other guy for bringing up racing games like that's relevant for some reason

you're completely wrong.

But i guess my eleven years in the industry count for nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007