Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
I'm set on something open air, so either a TJ or JK. The amount I plan on using it the kids getting the back won't be an issue. The space for an overnight trip is the main attraction, although probably equal to at TJ with an hitch rack. The long wheelbase seems attractive for longer drives in the thing, looking at least 2 hours from Cincinnati to get any good off-road parks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'd just get a regular TJ then. If you have cash in hand and are ready to move fast you can play the long game to find a good one and snap it up quickly. It's not worth compromising by trying to get something that kinda sorta (badly) fills all your needs. Get the open air Jeep experience you want--save the family and practicality for the other cars. The kids will be out of car seats in a year or two anyways.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, that's where I'm at now. Kid is out of all but booster seats (and honestly I bet in some cars she wouldn't even need that, she's tall like me) so now I'm less picky on rear room.

But then I have a hard time mentally jumping from an '03 V8 WJ with 155k to a '98 4cyl TJ with 200k and probably still having to drop some cash in the process, let alone getting anything without a garbage AX5 transmission.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Speaking of buying new Jeeps... Who else is gonna get a JT? I'm planning on picking one up in about 9-12 months once we're in Washington and the early production run issues should be under control.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

Speaking of buying new Jeeps... Who else is gonna get a JT? I'm planning on picking one up in about 9-12 months once we're in Washington and the early production run issues should be under control.
I'm definitely thinking about that or the potential new bronco. If it has a Coyote, it'll be hard to say no to.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

I'm definitely thinking about that or the potential new bronco. If it has a Coyote, it'll be hard to say no to.

That would be fresh as hell, but you know it'd be a Baja Raptor package or whatever and cost $$bucks.

If it came in Stroppe livery though.... :circlefap:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I did a thing this weekend

https://imgur.com/gallery/rmIcbGv

40x13.5x17 Cooper STT Pros.

These things are beastly lol. Also went from 3" to 4" lift and added back the 1.5" spacers as I was rubbing at full lock. Future plans are to beef up the axles and wheel until they eventually break then do a 60/60 or 60/80 axle set.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

That's legitimately a leak you should fix. ASAP. You are one bad day away from your Jeep being on fire in the breakdown lane on the evening news. ATF is remarkably flammable.

Had some fun with the leak this weekend.

So I thought it had been coming from the crimp connection on the lines runnning up to the radiator. Took it to a do-it-yourself shop on the base here, cut the steel lines about .5" from the crimp connections, flared them a bit and then put new rubber hoses on with double screw clamps. I also pulled down the little plastic bracket that holds the lines in place against the side of the oil pan and dumped it into a solvent tank to get it cleaned up.

What I thought was just rust buildup and other effluence from god knows what was actually caked on, dried out, dirty ATF. The bracket was clamped down on a pinhole leak in the steel line that I couldn't see. In the process of installing the new hoses and clamping them down, cleaning up the steel lines, pushing everything back into place, I must have shifted the lines about an inch forward or the brack back or something.

I'm under the jeep and I tell the tech to turn it over so I can see if the new hoses are going to leak or not and as soon as it turns over it just begins spraying ATF out of the pinhole.

Coated the entire front left side of the suspension and 3 of the other bays next to me due to wind picking up the mist from the spray. Ended up cutting another 4" or so of steel line out and putting a longer hose in, then mounting the non-broken steel line in the bracket and using zip-ties to hold the other rubber line against it since the second cut had taken the hose beyond the bracket, making it so I couldn't remount the line there.

All in all, good times. Threw some degreaser on everything and then spent a good half hour washing it off after the wait was over. Hit the grease points, cleaned up the rotor/pads/caliper on the D side and got all the ATF that had coated the frame and body all the way back to the rear axle out.

Leak's fixed! Just hope it holds.

mod sassinator posted:

I'd avoid it, the LJ is still a pain in the butt to get stuff in the back seat and will be a nightmare for car seats I think. I don't know if it even has all the hooks and such to really secure them back there. That one is just suspiciously too cheap, especially from a dealer.

In the 2006 TJ(U) the restraint anchor points are built into the rear seat. They're definitely there.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have a 1999 Cherokee. I went out to drive it yesterday morning and it struggled to start. When it did, it wouldn't idle - it would immediately die. I was able to consistently restart it (though it struggled every time) and it would rev and as long as I held my foot on the accelerator, it would be fine. Voltage read 14V while running but I'm pretty sure when the engine was off it was reading real low - like 9V.

I took a different car to work and checked on it later. Battery voltage was 12V and it started up and ran fine.

This morning it struggled again, tried to die once but I blipped the gas and it ran fine after that.

I thought maybe the battery was just going bad (it's of indeterminate age) but now I'm not so sure.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Test your battery and alternator.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Check your battery connections too. Crappy parts store lugs cause this regularly.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Sounds like crappy battery connections to me. Had the exact same sounding issue recently and replacing my terminal lugs has solved it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'm on a 2 week road trip through Baja and so far I've driven into a log and smashed the front passenger-side fender, and the steering box is leaking along with the rear diff pinion seal. I also got a slow leak in a tire and shallow sidewall tear, and I bent the tailpipe almost off on a watery ledge. The right rear spring is creaking like a banshee. Also space is at a premium with two kayaks, two people and two puppies in a TJ. And my girlfriend keeps filling bags with shells and somehow finding places to stash them.

Life is good :shobon:

Edit: the creaking isn't my springs, it's the rear sway bar link bushings that are blown out as heck.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 5, 2019

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'm on a 2 week road trip through Baja and so far I've driven into a log and smashed the front passenger-side fender, and the steering box is leaking along with the rear diff pinion seal. I also got a slow leak in a tire and shallow sidewall tear, and I bent the tailpipe almost off on a watery ledge. The right rear spring is creaking like a banshee. Also space is at a premium with two kayaks, two people and two puppies in a TJ. And my girlfriend keeps filling bags with shells and somehow finding places to stash them.

Life is good :shobon:

Edit: the creaking isn't my springs, it's the rear sway bar link bushings that are blown out as heck.

Sounds like an awesome, hectic trip with nice carnage to boot. Hope you're tekken pictures(put those passengers to work!), look forward to em.

[e] i had to paint the axle stand so I took the axle off and even with several jacks, set several deadlift PR's putting it back on. gently caress moving these things so much, glad I added wheels to the stand.

tuna fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 6, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kastein posted:

the early production run issues should be under control.

That's what I thought in 2012.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

They usually work the kinks out after about 12 years building a particular platform.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

https://jalopnik.com/the-jeep-m-715-five-quarter-is-a-700-horsepower-conver-1833873645

Well that is certainly a direction for an m715 :|
Looks hella tacky.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Why does it have a mailbox?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

tuna posted:

https://jalopnik.com/the-jeep-m-715-five-quarter-is-a-700-horsepower-conver-1833873645

Well that is certainly a direction for an m715 :|
Looks hella tacky.

I dunno. Aside from the wheels and maybe the bumper it looks alright to me.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Today I clipped down the rear passenger side spring that was shifted too far back on the spring perch and was rubbing on the shock. I drilled four holes, two for each spring retainer. I only had one retainer of the stock variety, and it didn't work on its own to hold the spring in place because it only pressed down on the top of the spring. I made a second retainer that would wrap over to cover the majority of the coil and keep it from shifting too far away from center. I took the jeep for a hot lap and the coil is still right where I put it :)

Here's the retainers, and some installed shots.

Here's the original setup, dirty as it is. The top plate keeps the coil from leaving the axle perch, but doesn't do much to keep it from shifting forward to back.

The jounce bumpers have seen better days :argh:

I jacked up the rear of the jeep with the high lift. It shifted somewhat impressively from the original location, but I had it so that it would lean against the spare tire and not away, and I supported the jeep on two more jacks as well. I only had to unhook the shock and the sway bar link on this side to get the spring out, after compressing it with the big-rear end clamps.

Tomorrow I'll do the other side, and then it's on to the front end. I need to double check if the front sway bar brackets are level and fix them if they aren't.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 9, 2019

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

kastein posted:

I dunno. Aside from the wheels and maybe the bumper it looks alright to me.

I think its mostly that fuckin disgusting yellow/green interior paint, and the entire interior modelling. Weird holes in the front grille, cnc-intern's first truck bed and like you said flashy wheels, etc. It's a concept vehicle so I'm obviously aware it's supposed to be a bit preposterous, but I just don't understand the "concept" it was going for, I guess.

It's cool to see another 4-linked 715. The more I find the more ideas I have, however they basically went with a pretty standard Jeep style 4 link up front. Disappointed they didn't want to do do a double triangulated out back though. There's acres of room out there.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

tuna posted:

I think its mostly that fuckin disgusting yellow/green interior paint, and the entire interior modelling. Weird holes in the front grille, cnc-intern's first truck bed and like you said flashy wheels, etc. It's a concept vehicle so I'm obviously aware it's supposed to be a bit preposterous, but I just don't understand the "concept" it was going for, I guess.

It's cool to see another 4-linked 715. The more I find the more ideas I have, however they basically went with a pretty standard Jeep style 4 link up front. Disappointed they didn't want to do do a double triangulated out back though. There's acres of room out there.

Same here, Gatorade green can be a cool color on the exterior of some vehicles but using it in the interior on a gray one is really not the right combination. Also some of the detailing looks like they made it busy just for the sake of making it busy.

Overall it looks awesome but a cleaner, restrained styling would have done it better.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It multiplied.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is it A Thing to disable SKIM on TJs? I only got one key with the Wrangler and it has a significantly thinner head than the keys for the WJ.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

A lot of TJs just don't have SKIM. Chances are it just came that way from the factory.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fine by me. I want to get another key cut for it.

It's not like SKIM is keeping a loving TJ from getting stolen anyway. It doesn't even have the zip up panels for the top, nothing stopping someone from reaching in and popping it in neutral.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

The SKIM equivalent in my JK absolutely hosed me over in the desert once. I attached the compressor to the battery terminals and noticed one of them had come loose a bit, it lost and regained contact with the battery several times while jiggling it around and that was enough to damage the electronics and reset the transponder stuff.

So I was broken down with a perfectly working Jeep that didn't believe the key was correct.

gently caress electronics in the desert - strip them all out, embrace the glow of a thousand warning lights.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
A quick and dirty coil-spring stool. It's.. uhhh.... rustic.. but it will work bitchin' for my arcade machine stool. It's a TJ rear coil on a metal base, mounted down with u-joint straps. I plan on making a better looking seat and base but I probably never will :shobon:

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 11, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

A quick and dirty coil-spring stool. It's.. uhhh.... rustic.. but it will work bitchin' for my arcade machine stool. It's a TJ rear coil on a metal base, mounted down with u-joint straps. I plan on making a better looking seat and base but I probably never will :shobon:

That’s awesome!

Also, I thought you should know - my (now ~4year old) daughter started saying “EZ-PZ” in the last couple days and it made me think of you!

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

CornHolio posted:

I have a 1999 Cherokee. I went out to drive it yesterday morning and it struggled to start. When it did, it wouldn't idle - it would immediately die. I was able to consistently restart it (though it struggled every time) and it would rev and as long as I held my foot on the accelerator, it would be fine. Voltage read 14V while running but I'm pretty sure when the engine was off it was reading real low - like 9V.

I took a different car to work and checked on it later. Battery voltage was 12V and it started up and ran fine.

This morning it struggled again, tried to die once but I blipped the gas and it ran fine after that.

I thought maybe the battery was just going bad (it's of indeterminate age) but now I'm not so sure.

Could be the battery. I left my keys on ACC once overnight and came back out to a dead battery; wouldn't hold an idle after jump starting. The alternator requires voltage from the battery in order to work properly and if the battery is too dead to provide the exciter voltage, the computer can't re-learn the idle. Even if you fully charged the old one or swapped a brand new battery in immediately, it probably would have tried to die for a bit until the computer got up to speed. Take it out for a long drive on a highway (or be really good at left-footed braking while you hold the idle manually). I drove for about a half hour and pulled into a parking lot and it idled fine, like nothing had ever happened.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
My TJ has the issue where the key can pop out at any point in the cycle. I’ve hit bumps while driving and the keys fall to the floor.

My father in law was driving it the other day for multiple trips, and when he turned it off at the house he forgot to depress the little button in front of the ignition that lets the key spin all the way back and the ignition turn all the way off. The key just pops out due to the issue I mentioned. Then he takes it to go somewhere else, after a while he calls me and says it won’t start. So I drive out to where he’s parked it and realize that he’s managed to use my JK keys to start it on the way there and left my TJ keys at the house. It started on his way there since the ignition was never locked, you could have started it with a screwdriver at that point. But when he got to his second destination he did actually push the button, turn the (wrong) key back to off and lock it, and was now stranded with the wrong key.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I worked on my spare tire swingout today. I added some metal mesh below the spare tire that will be a dedicated shelf for stuff like gear oil when I go offroad. It will keep them between the body of the jeep and the swingout so they can't be snatched too easily. I also added a shelf below the spare tire that will fit long light-weight stuff like tents, camp chairs, the odd log, etc. I'm trying to make more room inside the jeep, and this is step one. Next I'm going to add a shelf toward the inside of the jeep, based on an arm that will have a second latching point to help support the extra weight and hopefully keep vibrations down. It'll make more sense when it's back on the Jeep I hope.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 13, 2019

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

I worked on my spare tire swingout today. I added some metal mesh below the spare tire that will be a dedicated shelf for stuff like gear oil when I go offroad. It will keep them between the body of the jeep and the swingout so they can't be snatched too easily. I also added a shelf below the spare tire that will fit long light-weight stuff like tents, camp chairs, the odd log, etc. I'm trying to make more room inside the jeep, and this is step one. Next I'm going to add a shelf toward the inside of the jeep, based on an arm that will have a second latching point to help support the extra weight and hopefully keep vibrations down. It'll make more sense when it's back on the Jeep I hope.

Yeah its always a balance between adding some sort of extra storage and keeping it secure. You could cage it in as much as possible, looks good so far. I have like 4 separate keys right now for the Jeep since it has a bunch of padlocked storage areas / fuel tanks, etc. :sax: It's a half door life, for us~ :sax:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I worked in the swing-out some more yesterday. I finished the fluid storage compartment, which consists of a shelf for the bottles to sit on and a bar that more or less locks them in place. A bungee across the middle seems like it will do the rest of the job of keeping things put.

I didn't want to go into town to find a wingnut so I made one!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That's pretty slick

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What welder are you using to do all this? I think this is awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah that's coming out great.

For anyone running cheap steel wheels with push through center caps - do they not actually have any sort of fit with the wheel itself? I got a set of the center caps 4wheelparts listed as going with my wheels and they barely fill the hole, with no tension or anything to keep them in place even while bolting the wheels on. Which, with 33x12.5 tires, is no small feat.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Finally bit the bullet after multiple failed attempts to get the last bits of the rear shocks out. Jeep is into the shop once again, this time to get them mounted professionally so I can actually pass a state inspection and renew the registration.

IOwnCalculus posted:

For anyone running cheap steel wheels with push through center caps - do they not actually have any sort of fit with the wheel itself? I got a set of the center caps 4wheelparts listed as going with my wheels and they barely fill the hole, with no tension or anything to keep them in place even while bolting the wheels on. Which, with 33x12.5 tires, is no small feat.

Well, this makes me sad, as I'm about to order center caps for my cheap steel rims.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My center caps slip into the wheel and sit flat against the hub. They're sandwiched between the hub and the wheel and there's no side to side play between the center cap and the hole in the rim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

My center caps slip into the wheel and sit flat against the hub. They're sandwiched between the hub and the wheel and there's no side to side play between the center cap and the hole in the rim.

I didn't try actually mounting any with the caps on - do you just need to try and keep them balanced in the center hole enough until you get the wheel against the hub?

LCL-Dead posted:

Well, this makes me sad, as I'm about to order center caps for my cheap steel rims.

If it doesn't work out I'll just spray bomb the hub centers. I suppose I'll give them another shot when the spacers and non-spline-drive lug nuts show up.