Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Scientist posted:

I have no idea where I would ask this. Is there such thing as a "Telecommunications" megathread?

I just have a bunch of general t.c. questions just because I am curious and would like to better understand how it all works.

I don't even think this is the right thread to ask about where to ask, sorry.

I think you have to be more specific about your questions to get help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Im still running 1.10.7, its refusing to accept 1.10.9.

I got UNMS setup and its taking nightly config backups

Weird. I had no problem getting onto 1.10.9, or rolling back to it.

Also no matter how bad Ubiquiti software can be, it's light-years ahead of ddwrt. Will this update brick your router? Who the gently caress knows until you try it!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There was a VoIP / Asterisk thread that got old and pushed into the archives presumably. People tend to throw random Qs into one of the IT megathreads.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Thermopyle posted:

I think you have to be more specific about your questions to get help.

Well, for starters I'm curious about the relationship between twisted-pair and coax cables. Where I live, we have the typical cable-modem with coax going into the wall, which I assume travels over some terrestrial conductor or something to some ISP facility.

But right around the corner there's an AT&T facility, and there are these green metal boxes and plastic things all over town with old-fashioned twisted-pair telephone lines in them. I can't believe they still use the twisted pair for anything - all the boxes are wrecked and theirs wiring hanging out of all of them - but about once a week I see an AT&T guy out at the junction box next to the AT&T building with the cabinet door open messing with the twisted pairs.

So my questions are:

1) What happens to the coax connection once it leaves my modem? Presumably it gets converted to fiber optic at some point, and then hops on a series of trunks and routed through a network of large scale routers?

2) When I use my cell phone, does that voice signal ever travel across twisted pairs? What about VOIP and land-line telephones?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The Scientist posted:

I have no idea where I would ask this. Is there such thing as a "Telecommunications" megathread?

I just have a bunch of general t.c. questions just because I am curious and would like to better understand how it all works.

I don't even think this is the right thread to ask about where to ask, sorry.

Make a new thread. Not everything needs to be in an existing megathread.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

The Scientist posted:

Well, for starters I'm curious about the relationship between twisted-pair and coax cables.
Adversarial at best? Twisted pair copper is your telephone line, and if you live on a street with city services, chances are your local telco is legally obligated to serve you regardless of distance. Telcos are also obligated to let other common local carriers ("CLECs") rent those copper lines for a set rate. Cableco's own the coax, and they're not obligated to do gently caress-all. This lead to major telcos like AT&T building out their u-verse system and saying that those lines "aren't part of the telephone network" so they don't have to rent access to it.

The Scientist posted:

But right around the corner there's an AT&T facility, and there are these green metal boxes and plastic things all over town with old-fashioned twisted-pair telephone lines in them. I can't believe they still use the twisted pair for anything - all the boxes are wrecked and theirs wiring hanging out of all of them - but about once a week I see an AT&T guy out at the junction box next to the AT&T building with the cabinet door open messing with the twisted pairs.
Yes a lot of things still run on copper wiring. Fax machines, small-time credit card swipe machines... Basically anything with a modem, including fire alarms, burglar alarms etc. Stuff that also needs to keep working during a power outage stays on copper. Fiber optics don't carry power, and the remote end of most fiber runs requires power.

The Scientist posted:

1) What happens to the coax connection once it leaves my modem? Presumably it gets converted to fiber optic at some point, and then hops on a series of trunks and routed through a network of large scale routers?
Depending on your cableco it goes down the block to a cableco-box that's hanging off the pole, gets turned into a fiber signal, and then shipped off to their local switch. If your cableco sucks, then it goes all the way back to the local cableco switching office.

The Scientist posted:

2) When I use my cell phone, does that voice signal ever travel across twisted pairs? What about VOIP and land-line telephones?

Unlikely. Cell tower sites are usually connected with fiber ( or a bunch of bonded copper lines in really old/hosed up areas) and those connections don't speak "telephone." They're compressing the audio and shipping it over in a voip or voip-like carrier signal*. VOIP calls fly through the internet of tubes until they reach a "POTS gateway" or basically a server that's connected directly/adjacent to a telco terminal where it gets turned into the voip-like signal and then carried through the telco system

Meanwhile, land-lines ("POTS / plain-old-telephone-system") are an analog signal from your phone all the way back to the local telco switching office miles away, where they get bundled together as carrier-signals in the telco switch, and then forwarded.

*voip-like signal in this case is typically ISDN, the old-school method for connecting lots of telephone lines over two pairs of copper... ie a Typical 128kbps ISDN line is two 64k ISDN channels. A T1 PRI is 23x 64k channels + one more used for signalling.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Awesome, thanks for the reply.

I'm in a course called "Computer Communications" which is basically like Networking for Comp Sci majors, except for hapless engineers.

I may have some more questions just out of curiosity, so I might wind up starting a thread after all.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If you make a thread I'll gladly bore you to death discussing the finer points of PPPoE.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Weird. I had no problem getting onto 1.10.9, or rolling back to it.

Also no matter how bad Ubiquiti software can be, it's light-years ahead of ddwrt. Will this update brick your router? Who the gently caress knows until you try it!

2.0.1 soft-bricked my router and several other people's in the thread for that on Ubitquiti's website. It took them over a week to remove the update from their site. Apparently you can recover from it by buying a specific cable and opening it up, but gently caress that I just RMA'ed it

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Woof Blitzer posted:

If you make a thread I'll gladly bore you to death discussing the finer points of PPPoE.

I just threw up a little in my mouth

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KKKLIP ART posted:

So while 10 gigabit Ethernet being overkill for a lot of home users, are there any good 8-12 port base-n switches out that support 1/2.5/5?

Netgear does some (https://www.netgear.com/landings/multi-gig/) but the prices are so close to a 10g switch i would suggest to wait and jump to a 1/2.5/5/10 port unit once the prices gets reasonable.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Netgear does some (https://www.netgear.com/landings/multi-gig/) but the prices are so close to a 10g switch i would suggest to wait and jump to a 1/2.5/5/10 port unit once the prices gets reasonable.

Yeah this is wild. I guess multi-gig is still even more of a unicorn that 10gbe and is priced as such.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Inept posted:

2.0.1 soft-bricked my router and several other people's in the thread for that on Ubitquiti's website. It took them over a week to remove the update from their site. Apparently you can recover from it by buying a specific cable and opening it up, but gently caress that I just RMA'ed it

Well, poo poo. Glad that didn't happen to me.

Were you still within the one year warranty?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I have a lovely wireless ISP that requires PPPoE to use their service. Right now I have a Netgear R7000 acting as the router. I recently received an Eero system, which doesn't support PPPoE.

What I'd like to do is setup the Netgear to act as a bridge, and let the Eero handle all the routing and what not. When I look up bridge mode on the R7000, it seems to be something completely different than what I'm looking for. Other Netgear routers seem to have a "modem mode" but not this particular model.

My last option is to basically use the Eero as a wireless AP and let the R7000 do all the routing and what not. Which is fine but not ideal. I'm in the process of looking up alternative firmware to just hand off the public IP from my ISP to the Eero, but so far I'm coming up blank. Any ideas on what I should do?

nerox
May 20, 2001

EC posted:

I have a lovely wireless ISP that requires PPPoE to use their service. Right now I have a Netgear R7000 acting as the router. I recently received an Eero system, which doesn't support PPPoE.

What I'd like to do is setup the Netgear to act as a bridge, and let the Eero handle all the routing and what not. When I look up bridge mode on the R7000, it seems to be something completely different than what I'm looking for. Other Netgear routers seem to have a "modem mode" but not this particular model.

My last option is to basically use the Eero as a wireless AP and let the R7000 do all the routing and what not. Which is fine but not ideal. I'm in the process of looking up alternative firmware to just hand off the public IP from my ISP to the Eero, but so far I'm coming up blank. Any ideas on what I should do?

DMZ the IP on the Eero on the Netgear R7000?

Your computers/devices only see the Eero, the Eero talks to the R7000, which talks to the internet.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

nerox posted:

DMZ the IP on the Eero on the Netgear R7000?

Your computers/devices only see the Eero, the Eero talks to the R7000, which talks to the internet.

Oh, that's a super simple idea I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, poo poo. Glad that didn't happen to me.

Were you still within the one year warranty?

I was at something like 16 months. I'm not sure if they OK'ed it because it was close to the warranty or because it was their fuckup. I'd imagine they're honoring RMAs for all of these though because people in the thread are in disbelief of how poorly they've handled 2.0 and 2.0.1

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Woof Blitzer posted:

:justpost::posthaste:

:suspense:

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Inept posted:

I was at something like 16 months. I'm not sure if they OK'ed it because it was close to the warranty or because it was their fuckup. I'd imagine they're honoring RMAs for all of these though because people in the thread are in disbelief of how poorly they've handled 2.0 and 2.0.1

Which begs the question - if a company pushes a bad update that is installed (either automatically or manually) that bricks a device, who is at fault? I know there's been instances of products' servers going offline rendering them useless, but what's the legality of "whelp, we broke your product, better go out and buy the new one!"?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Hey thread, I live in a 5000-6000 sq ft home with Xfinity as my internet provider. Problem is, the router is basically in one corner of the house, on the first floor, and my PC/consoles are in my room, located in the opposite side of my house to the router, on the second floor. I want fast and stable connection in my room when I play on my PC and consoles.

I’ve tried using a WiFi extender, but that didn’t improve much. Then I purchased a Netgear Orbi router with two satellites, but that also couldn't get me faster internet speeds in my room. The satellites don’t have Ethernet ports on them, so I plan on returning this Orbi and purchasing another Orbi router with Satellites that have Ethernet ports so I can connect one of them directly to my PC

But is this the best way?

There is also a coaxi cable port in my room that I use to watch tv

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 17, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SgtSteel91 posted:

Hey thread, I live in a 5000-6000 sq ft home with Xfinity as my internet provider. Problem is, the router is basically in one corner of the house, on the first floor, and my PC/consoles are in my room, located in the opposite side of my house to the router, on the second floor. I was fast and stable connection in my room when I play on my PC and consoles.

I’ve tried using a WiFi extender, but that didn’t improve much. Then I purchased a Netgear Orbi router with two satellites to, but that also could get me faster internet speeds in my room. The satellites don’t have Ethernet ports on them, so I plan on returning this Orbi and purchasing another Orbi router with Satellites that have Ethernet ports.

But I’d this the best way?

There is also a coaxi cable port in my room that I use to watch tv

Mesh networking is your friend here, Asus does it, Ubiquiti Amplifi HD also might work for you.

So, with the Asus, you can mesh them together into a single network/repeater setup, while still being able to utilize the LAN ports on the repeater/mesh node.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just buy a MoCA extender (works over coaxial cable) and get a cheap AP.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Mesh networking is your friend here, Asus does it, Ubiquiti Amplifi HD also might work for you.

So, with the Asus, you can mesh them together into a single network/repeater setup, while still being able to utilize the LAN ports on the repeater/mesh node.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Just buy a MoCA extender (works over coaxial cable) and get a cheap AP.

Is there a specific product I should look into?

I’m not that knowledgeable about networking, so would just telling the guy at the electronic store that I need a mesh network with Asus suffice, and they can help me pick out the right product?

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 17, 2019

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

SgtSteel91 posted:

Is there a specific product I should look into?

I’m not that knowledgeable about networking, so would just telling the guy at the electronic store that I need a mesh network with Asus suffice, and they can help me pick out the right product?

Probably not. It's been ages since I bought any of these, but at the time I bought some Actiontec extenders and they worked fine.

Barring someone here having an updated suggestion, you could just look into Amazon reviews or google "Reddit MoCA extender" for a whole bunch of information.

Your best bet is buying from somewhere you can just return the product if it doesn't work since anything that's not an a wired ethernet connection is usually very dependent on the actual installation (MoCA for example, depends on your coax endpoints being directly connected and not going through your cable provider's access panel). Powerline is another option that works through your electrical wiring, but if your wires are old then you can have lovely performance, etc.

You can make this extremely simple or extremely complicated and expensive depending on your goals. If you just want to be able to sit down on a couch and get a relatively good signal, then my suggestion will work.

If you want a seamless wifi experience from anywhere in the house (ie: being able to walk from one end to the other and never lose your connection or notice a speed drop) then you need to look into more expensive equipment like Ubiquity Unify or mesh networks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SgtSteel91, do you have any sort of Ethernet networking in the house at all? Something like a structured wiring panel in a bedroom closet somewhere?

Powerline might work, and is easily returnable. Depends on the house though. A modern house built in the last 20 years or so would probably be OK.

MoCA is a very solid option, if the wiring works out and you can find the adapters. I've used HPNA 3.1 in the past before (similar to MoCA) and it would get me 100mbit speeds no problem.

Honestly for a house that large, you might be better off seeing about a separate internet connection for your room. I think you can have 2 cable modems at a single residence, or if there is a phone company option available. It's something to consider anyway.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

If by Ethernet networking you’re asking if there are any Ethernet ports in the house, then no, not really. There’s one in the kitchen that connects to the main home phone. There’s also no Ethernet ports in my room, but there is a coaxi port. This house is a little old; we actually found out by a Comcast technician that some of the wires connecting the house to the main cable lines outside needed to be replaced.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

If by Ethernet networking you’re asking if there are any Ethernet ports in the house, then no, not really. There’s one in the kitchen that connects to the main home phone. There’s also no Ethernet ports in my room, but there is a coaxi port. This house is a little old; we actually found out by a Comcast technician that some of the wires connecting the house to the main cable lines outside needed to be replaced.

Go get an eero with a couple (or maybe three) nodes. That will help something in a house that large

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

BoyBlunder posted:

Go get an eero with a couple (or maybe three) nodes. That will help something in a house that large

How does that compare to the Netgear Orbi?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Is there any particular WiFi / cable modem router combo that you guys recommend? I’ve been trying to find an Arris SBG8300 but can’t find any for sale. Or would I be better (and cheaper) off getting something like a SB8200 and a router?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Is it possible for someone to tap in to a coax cable at the junction box up the street with a modem and eavesdrop on internet traffic?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
My Archer A7's web admin page is saying this firmware update is available:

quote:

1.0.9 Build 20190403 rel.72961

New Features/Enhancement
1. Added OneMesh(TP-Link Mesh Technology) function.
2. Added NAT Loopback function.
3. Add Alexa/IFTTT Guide in Web menu.
4. Improve the mechanism of Parental Controls and QoS.
Note:
1. For Archer A7(US)_V5
2. You will lose the original configurations of Parental Controls and QoS due to mechanism improved.

But no such firmware version appears on TP-Link's website, despite apparently being a couple weeks old now. Should I be concerned, or just download the update and not worry about it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Scientist posted:

Is it possible for someone to tap in to a coax cable at the junction box up the street with a modem and eavesdrop on internet traffic?

https://www.excentis.com/blog/certificates-and-different-pkis-docsis-31

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Scientist posted:

Even if it were (and it's not), if most or all of your stuff is going through HTTPS then pretty much they can only see your DNS traffic. And there's things that can be done about that too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I moved to a new place in the same town with the same gigabit internet. My latency on speedtest has gone from 3ms to anywhere from 24-34ms. What the hell would be causing that?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fknlo posted:

I moved to a new place in the same town with the same gigabit internet. My latency on speedtest has gone from 3ms to anywhere from 24-34ms. What the hell would be causing that?

Could be a routing issue or a problem with the actual connection. Speedtest is a good judge of "is my internet connection more or less what they say it will be in bandwidth" but it's not a diagnostic tool beyond pushing data from one place to another. You should try some traceroutes to sites you use and see if there's any really bad hops. Bear in mind that a lot of routers won't accept icmp echo requests so there may be gaps but it's worth a shot.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

This is really interesting. I had forgotten all about Docsis.

Tangentially related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhbSD1Jba0Q

This is an amazing presentation about a guy who reverse engineered a Satellite Cable box with a similar protocol to Docsis (I presume). In the link that Thanks Ants posted about Docsis, it mentions that Docsis uses symmetric-key encryption; one of the coolest parts of the this guys' presentation is that the satellite set-top-box also uses encryption and has the keys stored in memory on a specific chip on the board, so he hooks the chip up to power, desolders it from the board and connects to it to retrieve the encryption keys all without removing power from it.

Any, that's cool thanks for the link. Symmetric encryption with a non-changing key seems a little weak though. But at best they would just see my mostly encrypted TLS traffic

Heners_UK posted:

Even if it were (and it's not), if most or all of your stuff is going through HTTPS then pretty much they can only see your DNS traffic. And there's things that can be done about that too.

Yeah that's fair, but aren't there concerns about governments logging "metadata" :nsa:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Scientist posted:

Yeah that's fair, but aren't there concerns about governments logging "metadata" :nsa:

DNS over HTTPS might be for you.

Not looked into it myself but the PiHole forums and subreddit mentions it every so often.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Scientist posted:

This is really interesting. I had forgotten all about Docsis.

Tangentially related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhbSD1Jba0Q

This is an amazing presentation about a guy who reverse engineered a Satellite Cable box with a similar protocol to Docsis (I presume). In the link that Thanks Ants posted about Docsis, it mentions that Docsis uses symmetric-key encryption; one of the coolest parts of the this guys' presentation is that the satellite set-top-box also uses encryption and has the keys stored in memory on a specific chip on the board, so he hooks the chip up to power, desolders it from the board and connects to it to retrieve the encryption keys all without removing power from it.

Any, that's cool thanks for the link. Symmetric encryption with a non-changing key seems a little weak though. But at best they would just see my mostly encrypted TLS traffic

There was a big thing a while ago that I don't think was ever proven about the News Corp subsidiary NDS actively attacking the encryption used by their pay TV competitors and ensuring the hacked cards/boxes got out into the market to starve them of revenue.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

SgtSteel91 posted:

How does that compare to the Netgear Orbi?

I would check out reviews on both. When I was buying a mesh system for my parents Orbi was going through a nasty firmware problem (units dropping out and having to be reset) so I wound up with eero, which has worked great for them. Amazon bought eero in February if that makes a difference to you either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Amazon is having a lightning deal on this Netgear CM500 modem. My modem (Arris TM1602) apparently has a problematic chipset (Puma) but I personally have not noticed anything wrong with it. Would it be dumb to buy the Netgear one if mine is working fine and I'm not paying a rental fee for it?