Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Brendan and Rachel are the best on screen couple of the last twenty years.

Don't @ me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Mummy and The Mummy Returns are masterpieces

@ me, I dare you

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That was the real tipping point for the whole idea. Prior to Leary's they were all Friar's Club roasts so it was basically a lifetime achievement award and was treated as such. Leary wanted one and hosed off and did his own when the Friar's Club said no. Now it's just whatever D list celebrity wants to have one and fill the dias with people they barely know.
I genuinely don't care if the celebrity is important, I just want it to be funny.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sid Vicious posted:

The filmmakers intentions were making a loving awesome movie, and guess what, they got an A+

They were going for a goofier Indiana Jones style adventure film and they nailed it. Agreed.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Samuringa posted:

@ me, I dare you

Don't agree on The Mummy Returns.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That was the real tipping point for the whole idea. Prior to Leary's they were all Friar's Club roasts so it was basically a lifetime achievement award and was treated as such. Leary wanted one and hosed off and did his own when the Friar's Club said no. Now it's just whatever D list celebrity wants to have one and fill the dias with people they barely know.

Exactly this. The actual Friar's Club roasts are masterpieces. They were for people who were legitimately funny and considered so by other extremely funny people.

I can still remember Sarah Silverman's quip, "I wouldn't gently caress you with Dr. Ruth's pussy," who was also in attendance and lost it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ryonguy posted:

Exactly this. The actual Friar's Club roasts are masterpieces. They were for people who were legitimately funny and considered so by other extremely funny people.

I can still remember Sarah Silverman's quip, "I wouldn't gently caress you with Dr. Ruth's pussy," who was also in attendance and lost it.

Also the people doing the roasts actually knew the person they were roasting and not just in a generic "oh, I've heard about that person in the news" kind of way.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The old Dean Martin roasts were usually pretty funny. They had a few things that would be cringey now, like Foster Brooks' drunk act, but seeing Rickles cut loose on legitimately famous people was always good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Don't agree on The Mummy Returns.

Ok, Returns gave us the proto-meme of Imhotep power sliding into frame to go “NOOO” so you have to give it that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Samuringa posted:

@ me, I dare you

Mummy Returns is solid fun, but not great. The first one ('99, not '32) has some CG that doesn't quite hold up, but Returns not only had more, but if I remember right they had to rush it and you can kinda tell.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All I need to know about the second Mummy is that one .gif. You know the one. My favorite part is the dude who runs in and slides on his knees, like he was taking a leak or something and just realized that he missed his mark.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The second Mummy movie doesn't understand how sunrises work.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ok, Returns gave us the proto-meme of Imhotep power sliding into frame to go “NOOO” so you have to give it that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfIlMeDsvrg

To this day I can't tell how on purpose this is.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

bobjr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfIlMeDsvrg

To this day I can't tell how on purpose this is.

I forgot how terrible that Scorpion-Rock looked. Did they render it on a PS2?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Spalec posted:

The scorpion king actually looked better in the PS2 game.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s a film, but I’m watching the 1999 Mummy with Brendan Fraser, and it either aged very poorly or very well depending on what the filmmakers’ intentions were.
It was always very dumb and also stupid but in a jovial, endearing way.

Like Brendan Fraser

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The Mummy was never trying to be anything that would go down in history as high art. It was trying to be a stupid action movie that would entertain you for a couple of hours.

It succeeded at that. It's fun as hell if you want to watch a stupid action movie that knows it's stupid and just wants you to have some stupid fun for a bit.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Apr 14, 2019

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Whatev posted:

It was always very dumb and also stupid but in a jovial, endearing way.

Like Brendan Fraser

He is easily the strongest part of DOOM PATROL for these reasons.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The second Mummy movie doesn't understand how sunrises work.

Sunrises can work however they want when magic is involved

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I respect Shatner because I have to respect a man who made an entire career out of making fun of himself. He didn't really do much that was all that important other than Star Trek but then realized there was a lot of humorous poo poo about himself and his life and just loving ran with it.
Similarly, I also have mad respect for Jimmy Carr. He ran into some trouble a while back for not paying taxes or something. His job is to host shows full of comedians ragging on each other. (This is apparently a British thing. People make careers of this.) In the first 8 out of 10 Cats episode after the news broke, the contestants roasted him for over ten minutes straight. He didn't make excuses, he didn't complain, he took everything everyone dished out, and immediately everyone forgave him. And then he went on to make jokes about it over the next several years. What a trooper.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
You guys have some interesting opinions on terrible people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Mummy Returns has the best score

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcE9RfR7J9I

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Spalec posted:

They were supposed to get live action footage of the Rock in some kind of harness in front of a green screen (granted this was 2001 so still the very early days of motion/performance capture), but he had a slight injury of some kind and needed to stay healthy because he was gonna be in the main event of Wrestlemania that year. And of course the movie had to open in May so they rushed it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Maxwell Lord posted:

They were supposed to get live action footage of the Rock in some kind of harness in front of a green screen (granted this was 2001 so still the very early days of motion/performance capture), but he had a slight injury of some kind and needed to stay healthy because he was gonna be in the main event of Wrestlemania that year. And of course the movie had to open in May so they rushed it.

Was there not a goon who was on the team for that CGI? I recall him saying that the budget and time was cut drastically late in the process and so they just had to make do.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Shatner is one of those "kids these days with their safe spaces and political correctness!!" grandpas so any day now he's going to overreact to a mild criticism and go full fash

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

purple death ray posted:

Shatner is one of those "kids these days with their safe spaces and political correctness!!" grandpas so any day now he's going to overreact to a mild criticism and go full fash

One of the best things about his roast is George Takei’s real life irritation at Shatner bleeding in to his bit.

“I always wanted to say this: Bill, gently caress you and the horse you rode in on.”

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
William Shatner is loving 88 years old.

He can bitch about Baby Boomers the way Baby Boomers bitch about Millennials.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
shat called out reddit once:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

shat called out reddit once:

Reddit converted him as far as anybody can tell.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
William Shatner is 88 and has spent the last fifty years dealing with Trekkies. I'm prepared to cut him some slack for that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

William Shatner is 88 and has spent the last fifty years dealing with Trekkies. I'm prepared to cut him some slack for that.

88, you say? And he was also 14 once. Very intriguing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The only thing anyone needs to know about William Shatner is that it's gonna be a long, long time 'til touchdown brings him round again to find he's not the man we think he is at home. Oh no no no.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
All I'm gonna say about Shatner is that he does not look 88.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I saw the Venus de Milo gummy episode of The Simpsons the other month and boy was that an experience in 2019. Basically Homer gets accused of sexual harassment after he touches a woman's rear end, a bunch of women come out to accuse him of stuff he presumably didn't do, his life is ruined and he gets angry mobs gathering in front of his house. At the end of the episode the message is "Don't believe everything you hear".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Beartaco posted:

I saw the Venus de Milo gummy episode of The Simpsons the other month and boy was that an experience in 2019. Basically Homer gets accused of sexual harassment after he touches a woman's rear end, a bunch of women come out to accuse him of stuff he presumably didn't do, his life is ruined and he gets angry mobs gathering in front of his house. At the end of the episode the message is "Don't believe everything you hear".

One part that has gone from hyperbole to everyday reality is when Dennis Franz plays Homer in the TV movie and says incredulously, “with a man in the White House?” when the babysitter says she’ll tell the entire country that he touched her rear end.

But I guess Bill Clinton was president then and it was more a case of everyone being blind to reality vs the world getting a ton worse (not that it didn’t).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

One part that has gone from hyperbole to everyday reality is when Dennis Franz plays Homer in the TV movie and says incredulously, “with a man in the White House?” when the babysitter says she’ll tell the entire country that he touched her rear end.

But I guess Bill Clinton was president then and it was more a case of everyone being blind to reality vs the world getting a ton worse (not that it didn’t).

what the gently caress does this mean? I've tried reading it a few times

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bill Clinton was a sex pervert but other than that I'm drawing a blank.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Trump is also a sex pervert but I don’t think the president being that is going to effect stuff overall.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There was an episode of Voyager where Seven thinks a guy medically experimented on her while she was under anesthesia, and when accused, the guy flips poo poo and flies away as fast as possible, then dies because he pushed his warp engine too hard and it exploded.

Then it turns out she dreamt it and it was her memory of getting Borg'd, and the moral of the episode seems to be "if you think you were taken advantage of, maybe you just dreamt it and your false accusation will kill an innocent man!" and I had to immediately go online to see if I had missed something or if that actually loving happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trump fans and republicans seem pretty cavalier about dismissing victims and assault allegations in the present. I feel like there used to be a pretense of theoretically respecting victims if they were the exact right kind or whatever, but the quiet part got a lot louder after they realized nobody gave a poo poo about Trump’s Billy Bush interview.