Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
drat yah that episode owned

Lou Reed's jacket lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
The alleyway scene between Wednesday and Donar was so goddamn cheesy that I thought I was watching a CW show.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
That was a pretty big bombshell from Nancy though, that his quest for power outside matriarchal West Africa led the colonizers and slave traders to his people. That has to be heavy on the conscience and could explain why he’s more focused on modern racism and social justice than Anubis or Thoth are, since they don’t carry that personal guilt.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The way Jones slips so casually between accents is loving incredible

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
Wait, I'm dumb. Who was Columbia supposed to be?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Columbia was the symbol of America. Like the statue of liberty and uncle Sam.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 15, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JustinMorgan posted:

Wait, I'm dumb. Who was Columbia supposed to be?

The "We Can Do It" woman, presumably she got a huge chunk of the faith from the war effort

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

turboraton posted:

What's wrong with sandman's ending?
Eh it kind of just meanders in the last big trade

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Busket Posket posted:

The alleyway scene between Wednesday and Donar was so goddamn cheesy that I thought I was watching a CW show.

Yeah, I absolutely loved the episode right up to that point where it went right off a goddamn cliff. The NOOOOOO! was unintentionally hilarious, and this was all I could think of during the sad song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2KxU0koTfA

Re: Technical Boy being that old, it makes perfect sense but put me down as one of those who figured his creation/origin happened when that kid spent so much time/attention on marrying technology and creativity that he manifested into reality.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess he was just reborn as the technical boy when that guy did the computer music. Before he was just the Telephonic Boy or whatever.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I think he upgraded when that guy gave the computer program freedom to create on it's own.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mallratcal posted:

I think he upgraded when that guy gave the computer program freedom to create on it's own.

"How the gently caress is that an upgrade?" :j:

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Busket Posket posted:

This show does that a lot, sadly. Like when Wednesday was revealing he was Odin, when dead wife and Sweeney went to the hoard, etc. They are just really bad at filming extreme reactions to things.

This show has been spinning its wheels so hard this season that I legitimately felt anger when dwarf #2 said 'but first we need a magical artifact', because I assumed that would mean yet another pointless road trip to retrieve mcguffin #52321. Thank christ they wrapped that up within this episode.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

precision posted:

The "We Can Do It" woman, presumably she got a huge chunk of the faith from the war effort

Right. I assumed that from the Rosie the Riveter poster in her room. But what god is she? Is there a Norse god of Freedom?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

JustinMorgan posted:

Right. I assumed that from the Rosie the Riveter poster in her room. But what god is she? Is there a Norse god of Freedom?

Cojawfee posted:

Columbia was the symbol of America. Like the statue of liberty and uncle Sam.

She's Columbia, the embodiment of the United States. She's not a traditional god, she's like Media, created from people worshiping the US.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JustinMorgan posted:

She was "America", the personification of the spirit of the country. Because she'd been displaced by the Statue of Liberty she was basically slumming it with the other Gods trying to get what attention/worship they could from the customers. The reason she kept pushing to head out West is because she thought the frontier mindset would still be present out there and she'd be able to do well. Instead she ends up doing a deal to temporarily regain her top spot via war propaganda.

I assume the voice on the other end of the line to Telephone Boy was Mr. World making an early play to repurpose the Gods to his own ends.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Telephone Boy was talking to someone else, otherwise why even keep it ambiguous?

The musical numbers were all straight bangers

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

precision posted:

I think Telephone Boy was talking to someone else, otherwise why even keep it ambiguous?

Based on Wednesday's suspicious look, I assume he was either unaware or only getting the first inklings that there was another God out there attempting to run things/take his spot as the patriarch. Letting Donar be used by the Nazis in exchange for a return to power, as well as how enthusiastically he supported Telephone Boy's offer to Columbia (not just because she was a threat to himself) was pretty distinct from his clear distaste for the same thing in the modern day.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Odin’s cover name is Al?

Delightful.

Hope that’s short for Allfather.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Cojawfee posted:

She's Columbia, the embodiment of the United States. She's not a traditional god, she's like Media, created from people worshiping the US.

I thought she was another previous incarnation of Media, but this makes more sense.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Comfortador posted:

I thought she was another previous incarnation of Media, but this makes more sense.

Tbf, she could kinda tie in with Media in a sense. Columbia Pictures and all that.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Gonz posted:

Odin’s cover name is Al?

Delightful.

Hope that’s short for Allfather.

I didn't think of that, I like it. I assumed it was just a Deadwood nod.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So bored with this season. Could something please happen already.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

So bored with this season. Could something please happen already.

I fell asleep at least two separate times last night, I think three. Episode seemed kind of interesting and I'll def give it another watch, but wow would you look at that, another 2-7 new gods who barely contribute anything to the plot :allears:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

An entire episode devoted to exploring a character that had never been introduced, discussed nor who will likely ever matter again.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The musical numbers were great and apart from the alleyway scene and Mr World it was a nice episode to watch, but yeah it would be nice if something actually happened this season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I liked the episode and they are sending super strong vibes that Odin is Shadow's dad.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

An entire episode devoted to exploring a character that had never been introduced, discussed nor who will likely ever matter again.

Yeah they really should've devoted maybe 20 minutes to this entire episode's overarching plot. I also remember nothing exceptional about the musical numbers but again, I think I was asleep :shrug:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Were those the same dwarves that were in God of War? I don't know Norse Mythology but there can't be too many sets of dwarvish blacksmith brothers who make weapons for gods.

I assumed Columbia was an earlier version of Media, the mannerisms were pretty similar, and I figured they really wanted to emphasize that the new gods frequently change and remake themselves, and that's why New Media exists and don't pay attention to all the silly nonsense about actresses leaving the show. Technology Telephone Boy obviously has gone through some changes too.

Otherwise echoing the same sentiment as everyone else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yep, Odin literally called them Brok and Sindri, the latter being the one at the mall

I missed the name of the rune guy, was it Ymir?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
New theory: Shadow is Kratos

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I also assumed colombia was an early version of media.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Columbia as in "district of"

Columbia as in "feminized version of Columbus"

Columbia is Literally America, which only makes me wonder where the hell she is in the modern timeline

When she did that one song though I was thinking "was this originally written for Chenoweth?"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

precision posted:

Yep, Odin literally called them Brok and Sindri, the latter being the one at the mall

Son of Ymir.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

precision posted:

The ones at the mall were Dvalin and Sindri.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That was a fantastic episode and exactly what I want from the show.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Y’all are making my head hurt not grasping that every goddess isn’t an aspect or evolution of Media. Media herself probably subsumed Columbia once WWII was over and The Entertainment Age began.

precision posted:

Columbia as in "district of"

Columbia as in "feminized version of Columbus"

Columbia is Literally America, which only makes me wonder where the hell she is in the modern timeline

When she did that one song though I was thinking "was this originally written for Chenoweth?"

In modern days, the productive nationalism that spawned Columbia is funneled over to Gods like Vulcan and World, who deal in violence and paranoia rather than glory and patriotism. She likely starved to death during the Cold War.

The actress, Laura Bell Bundy, is also a Broadway performer, so that could be where the Chenoweth vibes come from.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
There’s a scholar in Old Norse studies who serves as a consultant on the show, Dr. Jackson Crawford, and he’s been putting out videos related to his involvement in the series for anyone who wants more nerd poo poo in their enjoyment of the series.

One is on the poem Wednesday recited as he pissed on the tree.

One is on the chant of the dwarf re-etching the runes.

One is on the names of Norse gods in various Germanic languages, and how we get Thor/Donar and Odin/Wotan.

He’s also come out very clearly against the adoption of Old Norse culture and runes for modern white supremacists, which is a nice touch.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
It's not that I think every goddess is some aspect or form of media I just figured since we're seeing the start of technical boy, and hints of mr. world and columbia was willing to adapt maybe she was the origin for media too. I love Lucy started up in the early 50s right? I was just assuming a connection there. Not a big deal.

Will say if she went from Columbia > Media to New Media it does make New Media seem even worse. Wtf was that thing she did at the start of the ep? She did a dance and things popped up in 3d was she harnessing spy tech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

I can only speak for myself, but I have to say that the mere fact that Odin is in this show immediately made me question where Thor and Loki are, and they've seemed notable by their absence to me.