Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I liked the callback to "If anyone ever wants to hire you to kill me, remember, I'll pay you double!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm farting a lot tonight.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ginette Reno posted:

do they really need to do recaps in episode 1 of the final season.

every scene so far is hey remember when [x] happened? trust your fuckin audience d&d

It was 10 years ago man

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

El Jeffe posted:

Well, that one episode was better than all of last season. I didn't even mind how little the plot moved.

It was 100% setup but I enjoyed the hell out of it. I didn’t miss the Wizard Master post did I? Respect the tradition

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Good lord that episode was lame. Two years for a bunch of useless exposition.

Only five episodes left some poo poo better happen soon

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Episode was okay. Even kinda good in places, particularly for a season opener that had to set up a bunch of stuff instead of having stuff actually happen. The only parts that really bothered me were all the Arya reunions because I hate her monotone creepy ninja shtick. Also feels weird that we got so much time dumped into her and Sandor's relationship only for their reunion to boil down to him going "Eh, gently caress you" and walking off screen. Not that it's out of character for either of them at this point.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

teagone posted:

I personally don't mind it. I said the same about season 7 too. Give me all the fanservice, I want it. I want all my heroes to meet up and fight fantasy medieval zombies. Building up six seasons of all the good stuff, now gimme those sweet LOTR-esque battles and dragons fighting zombies and poo poo in the payoff.
I've been saying this all along, all the dark, gritty low fantasy stuff from the first seasons is just buildup to a wild high fantasy finish

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

it was a 50 minute recap show.

it reminded me of reading Terry Goodkind where he'd spend the first 2/3rds of his next novel recapping what happened in the previous one

Personally, I was looking forward to all the reunions--I think the Arya/Jon reunion was adorable. Actually, Arya/everybody was great.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I really want Jon to turn on Dany. Also, that “small” amount of food was like more than a dozen milk-producing livestock. Uh don’t you idiots have peasants and armies to feed?

The northerners are rightfully pissed and Dick Tarly was right to not trust the foreign rape queen. Champion of the people.

Also, the weird thing about the Arya romance to me is that the last time they met Gendry was still a buff grown rear end man known for his eye candy physique, but Maisy Williams was like 12.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 15, 2019

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Karmine posted:

Jon Bradley and Kit Harrington were absolutely wonderful to watch. I enjoyed the episode overall but the scene in the crypt. Oof.

Yeah that scene was really good. Sam is obviously upset and angry but he's keeping the bigger picture in mind. Barely.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Karmine posted:

Jon Bradley and Kit Harrington were absolutely wonderful to watch. I enjoyed the episode overall but the scene in the crypt. Oof.

I think i've not liked every crypt part of the entire series

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Good lord that episode was lame. Two years for a bunch of useless exposition.

Only five episodes left some poo poo better happen soon

Next week's episode is just under an hour again, so maybe more exposition. Episodes 3-6 will be ~80min long. The battle at Winterfell is said to be bigger in scope than the Helm's Deep battle from The Two Towers.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Never really watched any of this, but I was invited to a friends party to watch the season opening. So I went, and all I know of this show now is that kids in wheelchairs are never moved.

Fantastic show on that fact alone, maybe I'll pick the series up.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

teagone posted:

Next week's episode is just under an hour again, so maybe more exposition. Episodes 3-6 will be ~80min long. The battle at Winterfell is said to be bigger in scope than the Helm's Deep battle from The Two Towers.

hrm, can you compare it to a fight in the marvel universe i don't know which one that is

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Never really watched any of this, but I was invited to a friends party to watch the season opening. So I went, and all I know of this show now is that kids in wheelchairs are never moved.

the reason he is in the wheelchair sums up the entire thing really

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

JT Jag posted:

I've been saying this all along, all the dark, gritty low fantasy stuff from the first seasons is just buildup to a wild high fantasy finish

:agreed:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Shinjobi posted:

The guy who made the intense face at him at the end thought he'd killed him in the series premiere. Hence wheelchair.

Callbacks! Cheap ones, too!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I really want Jon to turn on Dany. Also, that “small” amount of food was like more than a dozen milk-producing livestock. Uh don’t you idiots have peasants and armies to feed?

Duh, who do you think will get eaten first when they start running out of food?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Theon and Jaime are both characters I can't see surviving meeting if they're captured by the wrong people, so I wonder how they will make it so he's just not outright dragon food.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mnoba posted:

hrm, can you compare it to a fight in the marvel universe i don't know which one that is

MCU's action set pieces aren't all that great/memorable, so can't help you there. Sorry.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Roman Reigns posted:

Yeah that scene was really good. Sam is obviously upset and angry but he's keeping the bigger picture in mind. Barely.

It ruled.

That ruled.

I feel like I need a cigarette.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
As for telling Dany, I think Jon just gets that diary and then tells her. Very real possibility to just wait until the dead are taken care of to drop that bomb too, that would be my play in his shoes. Then if he's skeeved from the incest he can just kind of break off the romance one-sidedly, he's too important a figure for him not to stay a major power player in their alliance just because he broke her heart.

Jon's probably too drat honorable just like Ned so he's probably telling her next episode and giving her the evidence to prove it. They were already basically a shoe-in to get hitched if this big ol' bomb wasn't dropped, kind of the perfect situation for Dany marrying for both political influence and love, so this might not derail that plan depending on how squicked out they are. I could also see them agreeing to keep this top secret and still get married for appearances but end the actual romance and get romantic partners on the side, kind of the healthier version of what Cersei and Robert had going on, though that's pretty doomed to failure.

No way does Dany set aside those throne ambitions just because she's no longer the rightful Targ heir though, the happiest ending for the kingdom at large is probably Dany and Jon getting hitched and taking the throne while still making babies despite the incest, though man that's gotta take that coin flip on good targ rules from 50/50 to like 60/40 at least.

Safest prediction now though is probably that Jon or Dany die and the other gets the throne. Maybe whoever beats the Night King and dies in the process is the prince or princess that was promised, while the survivor is the one to actually take the reins of power. The new ruler gets the fame and glory while the much prophesied savior of the land is still an important figure, but isn't really celebrated as such. I see Dany as the one more likely to die, have her arc through the whole story be becoming Queen but when the chips were down she was willing to give that up to ride a Dragon on the frontlines and save the kingdom that betrayed and killed her family. She still breaks the wheel at least a little, hell maybe Jon's so fed up with all of it that he makes the kingdoms all independent, though that's just going to lead to more strife down the line, or maybe standing against the dead inspires people enough to live in peace with the living.

I'm stoked to see Bronn head up north too, I gotta figure one of the Lannister bros take him out in a sneak attack after he reveals why he's there, no matter how that breaks down it's going to be a fun scene. It's kind of the perfect ending for him to just show up and get killed by a Lannister because they know they can't trust him, complete his arc of being batted around by that family like a lion toy.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Propaganda Machine posted:

The guy who made the intense face at him at the end thought he'd killed him in the series premiere. Hance wheelchair.

Callbacks! Cheap ones, too!

It’s a cheap callback to follow up on one of the most crucial events in the entire story? Are you sure it’s not just good storytelling?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Darko posted:

Not how it works in the show. But it is probably just Dany specific., I guess.

Didn’t the brother say something about it in the first season, that it was a family prophecy that one of them was “the dragon”? Except he thought it was him and it ended up that he could be burned.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Sandor’s reunion with Arya felt heartfelt to me. She left him to die and robbed him—I got the sense he was proud that someone was finally thinking like he was for once.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

JT Jag posted:

High fantasy finish is fine, but the "THIS CHARACTER JUST HAS TO MEET UP WITH THIS OTHER CHARACTER AGAIN" that shrinks the universe ridiculously is the issue. The show has become all contrivances, while the book/early seasons were about how decisions and chance basically screw over everyone and life basically fucks things over.

The biggest example is that book Brienne couldn't find the Stark girls but met both of them almost immediately on looking in the show. That was a "cute" change at the time, but then EVERYTHING started happening as convenient as possible like that.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Definite endgame is going to be Dany dying and Jon and Sansa getting married.

Book it

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

My only assumption after watching this episode is they have The Walking Dead writers in charge of the last season.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Olanphonia posted:

Book it

only if they still call each other bro and sis

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Olanphonia posted:

Book it
they're first cousins, gross

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

I liked the episode. It's setting up everything just fine.

Same. Plenty of poo poo happened.

Everyone arrives at Winterfell, the anticipated tension between Sansa & Dany is made really evident, builds up through the episode culminating in Jon finding out about his parentage and Sam confronting him if Dany would give up the Iron Throne the way he did for the North. Dany getting actual consequences for her "bend the knee or die" mentality in executing Sam's brother & father.

Night King's army destroys what's left of the Umbers and zombify their last patriarch to send a message poo poo's about to get ugly.

Cersei's mercenary army arrives, set up Tyrion trusting her even in this insane situation is dumb, planting the seed of her army turning on them all at the worst possible time. Also Bronn's hired to kill him and Jaime if they survive the zombie apocalypse.

Theon rescues Yara quickly so that plot thread isn't drawn out.

About the only really dumb thing was the budget wasting dragon riding sequence, which really served no purpose other than awkward comedy and showcasing "The dragons trust Jon and allow him to ride them because he's also a Targ." which the audience is already well aware of.

Ragnarok the Red fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 15, 2019

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Roman Reigns posted:

I thought it was interested that "Dany killed your family" thing got dropped right before that too, I was really thinking he might reveal Jon's secret to her right then and there out of petty vengeance. Now it had me wondering if there was a part of him that was happy to tell Jon the truth because although it's certainly something Jon doesn't want to hear and hurts him, you can make an easy argument that it's good for him in the long run. Dany finding out is just bad news top to bottom for her, really no upside at all and does huge damage to her politcally and personally, so there's some revenge there. It's kind of a perfectly Sam revenge too, just using words and knowledge, and not a grand revenge move like killing her because after all he mostly hated his family, but they were still his family.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

NowonSA posted:

As for telling Dany, I think Jon just gets that diary and then tells her. Very real possibility to just wait until the dead are taken care of to drop that bomb too, that would be my play in his shoes. Then if he's skeeved from the incest he can just kind of break off the romance one-sidedly, he's too important a figure for him not to stay a major power player in their alliance just because he broke her heart.

Jon's probably too drat honorable just like Ned so he's probably telling her next episode and giving her the evidence to prove it. They were already basically a shoe-in to get hitched if this big ol' bomb wasn't dropped, kind of the perfect situation for Dany marrying for both political influence and love, so this might not derail that plan depending on how squicked out they are. I could also see them agreeing to keep this top secret and still get married for appearances but end the actual romance and get romantic partners on the side, kind of the healthier version of what Cersei and Robert had going on, though that's pretty doomed to failure.

No way does Dany set aside those throne ambitions just because she's no longer the rightful Targ heir though, the happiest ending for the kingdom at large is probably Dany and Jon getting hitched and taking the throne while still making babies despite the incest, though man that's gotta take that coin flip on good targ rules from 50/50 to like 60/40 at least.

Safest prediction now though is probably that Jon or Dany die and the other gets the throne. Maybe whoever beats the Night King and dies in the process is the prince or princess that was promised, while the survivor is the one to actually take the reins of power. The new ruler gets the fame and glory while the much prophesied savior of the land is still an important figure, but isn't really celebrated as such. I see Dany as the one more likely to die, have her arc through the whole story be becoming Queen but when the chips were down she was willing to give that up to ride a Dragon on the frontlines and save the kingdom that betrayed and killed her family. She still breaks the wheel at least a little, hell maybe Jon's so fed up with all of it that he makes the kingdoms all independent, though that's just going to lead to more strife down the line, or maybe standing against the dead inspires people enough to live in peace with the living.

I'm stoked to see Bronn head up north too, I gotta figure one of the Lannister bros take him out in a sneak attack after he reveals why he's there, no matter how that breaks down it's going to be a fun scene. It's kind of the perfect ending for him to just show up and get killed by a Lannister because they know they can't trust him, complete his arc of being batted around by that family like a lion toy.

Targs are SUPER about incest - that's their entire family.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Darko posted:

High fantasy finish is fine, but the "THIS CHARACTER JUST HAS TO MEET UP WITH THIS OTHER CHARACTER AGAIN" that shrinks the universe ridiculously is the issue. The show has become all contrivances,

I’m not saying you’re wrong about the bolded part, but I dunno, it makes sense to me that, when everyone is convening at Winterfell, people who haven’t seen each other in a while will see each other again and we can follow up on/resolve hanging threads of story.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Everybody's gonna die. Maybe Euron survives, maybe

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bronn is gonna die tracking Tyrion down, having him in his sights with that crossbow, hesitating and getting cut down by guards

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

NowonSA posted:

What's Bronn doing again? My stream went funny at that point so I saw him holding a crossbow but not sure what for...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There were some good tits in this episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh Cersei is dumb as gently caress too. Get, like, any other assassin for this job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Darko posted:

High fantasy finish is fine, but the "THIS CHARACTER JUST HAS TO MEET UP WITH THIS OTHER CHARACTER AGAIN" that shrinks the universe ridiculously is the issue. The show has become all contrivances, while the book/early seasons were about how decisions and chance basically screw over everyone and life basically fucks things over.

I don't think that's a problem in the eyes of most viewers, even among folks here. Yeah, it takes me out of the story a bit, but hey, it became a high fantasy show full of contrivances literally years ago at this point. GRRM himself played a big role in that.