Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Getting better. I have some suggestions that might help push you a bit further.

The first picture needs a bit more context. Dude looks like he is about to take a bit out of the dudes head. Try to get the eyes and a little bit of the face of the headburger dude. Eyes are how we connect and we see that connection in others with how they look at other people (microexpressionism).

Second picture is good. I would get a closer crop though. Go halfway up. Youre cropping out the legs anyway so why not just focus on what makes the moment great and eliminate all the other distracting stuff.

I like the third. Good bit of action here.

Fourth, I would crop a little tighter, only because I would want to eliminate that tiny bulge at the bottom of the frame. It might be a weird fold in the cloth or his groin, and I would go a little higher in the crop to remove that distraction. Granted, that is nitpicking, and there is no real easy way to say stuff like that. So I apologize if that was uncomfortable. I always try to remove anything that could unintentionally denigrate the athlete.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 28, 2019

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Soulex posted:

Granted, that is nitpicking, and there is no real easy way to say stuff like that. So I apologize if that was uncomfortable. I always try to remove anything that could unintentionally denigrate the athlete.

Thanks! And not at all, I had originally cropped the shorts away but decided to leave it in for some contrast. I totally spaced on the bulge in that photo.
There was another photo I left out of the finished material I handed over because of a bulge.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Grimson posted:

These are all great. What's your routine for moving around the pitch during a game? Do you stick to VIFs attacking side since you're shooting for them or do you roam around a bit?

Thanks!

At Toppserien and Eliteserien I can move freely behind the goal. I have to pick a side just after kick-off and stay there. I often try to predict where the action is going to happen and stay at that side for the whole game.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

azathosk posted:

Thanks!

At Toppserien and Eliteserien I can move freely behind the goal. I have to pick a side just after kick-off and stay there. I often try to predict where the action is going to happen and stay at that side for the whole game.

You don't get access to the sidelines?

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Grimson posted:

You don't get access to the sidelines?

The Norwegian Football Association says I'm allowed to stay up to "the 16 meter line", but that is really for the home team to decide. It's a more of a "can have". I don't usually do it (at least not at the home games) since I often get a lousier view at the action from the sides.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
A few from Saturday's game between Vålerenga and Mjøndalen:
Vålerenga Fotball - Mjøndalen 30.03.2018 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Incredible game tonight.

album:https://imgur.com/a/UrjWSar

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
WRX club skid pan / drift evening / State champs motorbikes

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd love to shoot that, the water makes the cars wayyyy more expressive than normal.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

I'd love to shoot that, the water makes the cars wayyyy more expressive than normal.

Also helps to know the event director and make suggestions where to place witches hats. Usually where it's fairly good chance a sliding car will hit a few puddles

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I like the car shots. I haven't gotten a chance to do that stuff yet. I'll probably jump at the chance to.

Spicy game today, lots of fights and bickering, dramatic finish, and lots of goals.

Album:https://imgur.com/a/4efEbf3

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Night Drift event. An absolute bitch to get settings that work but..... got some okay shots? Admittedly low light shooting of car action isnt something I've done before esp with no flash.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I got my hands on the new Olympus OM-D E-M1X. That is one lovely piece of machinery. I'm currently testing it, but I'm actually considering a change.

Vålerenga Fotball - Tromsø IL 14.04.2019 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

I got to try the 300 mm f/4 together with the 12-100 f/4. They're both really great lenses, but I haven't got around to the test the 40-150. I think that would be a better solution in a one-camera show.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Shot some baseball today

album:https://imgur.com/a/DW4AOD3

I'm with you on the change. I am waiting until I graduate and then I am going to upgrade my body. I finally got a much needed lens. That means I can put the money I've been saving towards getting a Sony A7iii.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Nothing quite like being down by 2 in the last 2 minutes only to tie it up and win in double overtime.

I also got to meet Landon Donovan last night briefly, incredibly nice guy.

album: https://imgur.com/a/LuohVZl

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

I got my hands on the new Olympus OM-D E-M1X. That is one lovely piece of machinery. I'm currently testing it, but I'm actually considering a change.

I got to try the 300 mm f/4 together with the 12-100 f/4. They're both really great lenses, but I haven't got around to the test the 40-150. I think that would be a better solution in a one-camera show.

HI HELLO TELL ME EVERYTHING YOU THINK, LIKE, AND DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT PLS AND THX

And yeah the 40-150 f/2.8 is a goddamn phenomenal sports lens

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

That first one is sooooo good.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

1 and 2 are underexposed a bit, but they're very good shots on the whole.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Man, we lost tonight. A crowd of near 10,000 was silenced when the away team scored and ended our hope for a trophy. Great experience throughout the season, but man, I really thought we were gonna take home something. Especially considering we only lost one other game the entire season. That one and the divisional championship tonight.

album: https://imgur.com/a/I4MGMHX

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Soulex posted:

That first one is sooooo good.

Thanks!

DJExile posted:

1 and 2 are underexposed a bit, but they're very good shots on the whole.

Yeah, I'm still trying to work my way around post-processing. And I think I'm still a bit unsure on the right shutter speed for that venue, I usually shoot handball at around 1/500, but for football I've upped it to around 1/800 or 1/1000 and I don't know if that's the right move or not.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grimson posted:

Yeah, I'm still trying to work my way around post-processing. And I think I'm still a bit unsure on the right shutter speed for that venue, I usually shoot handball at around 1/500, but for football I've upped it to around 1/800 or 1/1000 and I don't know if that's the right move or not.

1/500 is just about the bare minimum to freeze human motion in most cases, and you're likely going to need one of those faster speeds. Don't worry about post processing too much beyond cropping and keeping white balance correct. Concentrate first on getting the moments right and the speed fast enough to freeze it.

Your job with sports photos is to freeze exact moments, which is often already going to require high shutter speeds, and pretty high ISO, especially if you're indoors or shooting at night. Concentrate more on the moment and action itself than trying to create an amazing photo through post-processing.

This isn't to say post-processing isn't important, it definitely is, but while you can rescue and change a lot of shots where things are far more controlled (portraits, landscapes, still lifes, etc), you don't want to get too heavy-handed at all with post on sports photos.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thats good advice. Last night was the first time I stepped down from 500 (I usually shot at 640 or 800 for the MASL games) and took them at 400 and F3.2. The only real difference is going to be motjon blur on the ball, which is ok. Honestly, for me it depends on the lighting. An arena game is gonna be shot slower than outside. Balance acceptable ISO.

A lot of people slow it waaaaaaaay down for effect, and they do good mostly but goddamn do you get a lot of bad shots doing that. Hard to do that. I have gotten 2 usable shots ever from that.

Grimson posted:

What postprocessing do you use? Anthony Morganti's videos are super helpful, but your best bet is to develop a workflow and experiment with settings. I like LR, and it is super easy for me get a batch of photos out in 2 hours or less after event. Used to take hours or days for me. Do not neglect this step though, every photo you post needs to be edited, white balanced, straightened, cropped (if applicable), and lens profile corrected. Regarding exposure: make sure you turn the brightness down on your monitor almost all the way when editing. Seems counter intuitive but it helps you expose properly on sight, instead of spectrograph.

Your shot selection is way better imo! Thought azathosk had a parachute account for a second! You chose great moments.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Soulex posted:

What postprocessing do you use? Anthony Morganti's videos are super helpful, but your best bet is to develop a workflow and experiment with settings. I like LR, and it is super easy for me get a batch of photos out in 2 hours or less after event. Used to take hours or days for me. Do not neglect this step though, every photo you post needs to be edited, white balanced, straightened, cropped (if applicable), and lens profile corrected. Regarding exposure: make sure you turn the brightness down on your monitor almost all the way when editing. Seems counter intuitive but it helps you expose properly on sight, instead of spectrograph.

Your shot selection is way better imo! Thought azathosk had a parachute account for a second! You chose great moments.

I use Lightroom and a couple different presets I've worked out based on the venue, since I've only shot indoors with fixed lighting until last week. And thanks for the azathosk compliment!

Bonus photo of a linesman that posed for a photo without me asking.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Unless you need them in certain square formats, those are good shots but most of those could do with a tighter crop, especially the celebrating guy from the mens game and 2 players chasing the ball in the womens game.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

HI HELLO TELL ME EVERYTHING YOU THINK, LIKE, AND DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT PLS AND THX

And yeah the 40-150 f/2.8 is a goddamn phenomenal sports lens

It's great. It got a great AF and tracking. The latter is actually very good and is the first tracking I've tried that actually works. I got alot of out of focus-shots, but that's more because I haven't learned to work with the AF just yet. One thing I thought I would have an issue with was the size. It's alot smaller than my 1D-x and I like having...big things...in my..hands... But it wasn't any issue at all. It's built like a 1D-x (or D5) just smaller, but it's OK because of the size of the lenses.

Both 40-150 and 300 is great for sports. I'm already planning on switching, just need to know how much I have to pay first... The colors are a bit off, but that's because the RAW-files is a bit different so my ordinary workflow didn't give me the exact same result as usual.

Vålerenga Fotball - Strømsgodset Toppfotball 16.05.2019 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Vålerenga Fotball - Strømsgodset Toppfotball 16.05.2019 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

(And thank you all for the kind words. I had a look at some of my older pictures and said hello to Dunning-Kruger.)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

It's great. It got a great AF and tracking. The latter is actually very good and is the first tracking I've tried that actually works. I got alot of out of focus-shots, but that's more because I haven't learned to work with the AF just yet. One thing I thought I would have an issue with was the size. It's alot smaller than my 1D-x and I like having...big things...in my..hands... But it wasn't any issue at all. It's built like a 1D-x (or D5) just smaller, but it's OK because of the size of the lenses.

Both 40-150 and 300 is great for sports. I'm already planning on switching, just need to know how much I have to pay first... The colors are a bit off, but that's because the RAW-files is a bit different so my ordinary workflow didn't give me the exact same result as usual.

Hell yeah, glad you like it. I may have to trade in one of my EM1mk2s for it.

And yeah Olympus leans a little more color-dense in their processing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MTB this time. Not many crashes in front of me, few hairy moments

Full size isnt auto rotating so I'll just link.

http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/upload/2019/05/26/20190526034756-e0780349.jpg
http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/upload/2019/05/26/20190526034803-9e324fa7.jpg
http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/upload/2019/05/26/20190526034807-3c2d2857.jpg
http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/upload/2019/05/26/20190526034811-9f676ff6.jpg
http://alliancemotorsport.org/newgallery/upload/2019/05/26/20190526034815-41982176.jpg

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The action is awesome and the first one is really nice, but I'd either crop or frame a little more easily in front of him, giving the rider some space to move into. His head is cut off in the 2nd picture.

You might try shooting this horizontally next time, it'll keep attention on the rider and give them a little more space for them to ride into, and should also naturally cut out some of the brush and trees behind and in front of the rider.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

Hell yeah, glad you like it. I may have to trade in one of my EM1mk2s for it.

And yeah Olympus leans a little more color-dense in their processing.

But then I went back to my original setup and I'm suddenly a bit uncertain about the whole switch...

I'm testing out Smugmug (again).

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I got a chance to shoot rugby today. Also, some dudes jumped in for halftime.

Album: https://imgur.com/a/MP2vByV

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I got to take some more photos. They asked for my work afterwards which is perfectly fine for me. It's a trip seeing your photos being posted on a team's instagram.

Album: https://imgur.com/a/cvNokaq

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Today's game was the most heartbreaking thing I've ever seen sports wise. In the final play, the away team beats the home team in the final match of the championship. San Diego had literally scored with one minute remaining and everyone was excited to see a championship come to San Diego after 50 something years. Then Seattle scored in injury time on the last play. Everyone was stunned. Except the small group of away fans. They went nuts.

Album:https://imgur.com/a/6BQ2Re2

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Not sure if the little white flakes that show up against his shorts and arm were some odd foreground bit... but God drat I love this photo overall. It just kinda grabs you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unless you got some no edit requirement on stuff you submit, always clone spots out.

Well unless it's snow or something and the spots are part of the composition. :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soulex your work has legit gotten a ton better in the last couple months. Getting some good outdoor light obviously helps but your framing and moments have really been improving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Formula 1 just posted a short video profiling a few photographers and some of their work. Pretty cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riwfILW6LHY