Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Stickman posted:

The standard trifecta recommendation is

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $392.87

You could save $50 moving down to a 2600 and a ASRock B450 Pro4, but you're losing out on overclocking potential and power management, which could hurt down the road (doubly so, since the B450 will have drop-in support for Zen 2/3, so you will have decent in-place upgrade options!)

If your PSU is out-of-warranty, I'd also get a new one. You don't want a dying PSU taking out your new components! The cheapest decent option right now is the Seasonic Focus Plus 550W for $50 after rebate.

It looks like you should be able to get $40-50 each for you FX 8150 and motherboard on Ebay, and I'll spitball $20-30 for your RAM, so if you're willing to spend a little time selling your old bits you can make up a decent portion of the over-budget cost!

This is a great point - if you have a microcenter nearby, an $80 Ryzen 1600 should work fine for now, and you can drop in a Zen 2/3 when it starts feeling old!
Sorry, I didn't see this before I posted. I just bought a brand new PSU about two months ago, and my video card something around a month ago. I know that I'm looking for a mobo, full atx with as many sata and USB ports as I can do. I think mycurrent motherboard is something like 6 and 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Zen is the offensive and inconsiderate codename that AMD gave their recent slate of CPUs, before officially naming them Ryzen.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Narzack posted:

I don't know what the Zen is. I've been out of this game since about 2014, which is when I built my current machine. Are you talking about something like this? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mV98TW/amd-ryzen-5-1600-32ghz-6-core-processor-yd1600bbaebox

Yup. Zen/Ryzen is AMDs current crop of CPUs. In a rather annoying branding scheme Zen 1 is 1XXX, Zen+ is 2XXX and everyone has been calling it Zen2 until recently, and Zen2 will be 3XXX, and is expected to come out this summer, but AMD hasn't said anything.

Zen1 can be finnicky with ram speed and is some percent less powerful than Zen+, which fixed the issues Zen1 had, but you can find Zen1 dirt cheap and it's not bad, it's just less good.

Goons have been recommended boards noted by Buildzoid to be sufficient for pushing a high overclock on 8 core parts, and if the money's there it might be worth consideration, but if you're on a budget and don't feel the need to push your OC as far as possible I wouldn't be dissuaded from saving $40 and grabbing a Pro4.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

ItBreathes posted:

Yup. Zen/Ryzen is AMDs current crop of CPUs. In a rather annoying branding scheme Zen 1 is 1XXX, Zen+ is 2XXX and everyone has been calling it Zen2 until recently, and Zen2 will be 3XXX, and is expected to come out this summer, but AMD hasn't said anything.

Zen1 can be finnicky with ram speed and is some percent less powerful than Zen+, which fixed the issues Zen1 had, but you can find Zen1 dirt cheap and it's not bad, it's just less good.

Goons have been recommended boards noted by Buildzoid to be sufficient for pushing a high overclock on 8 core parts, and if the money's there it might be worth consideration, but if you're on a budget and don't feel the need to push your OC as far as possible I wouldn't be dissuaded from saving $40 and grabbing a Pro4.

Yeah, I mean, I'm not really interested in overclocking anymore. Those years are past me. Really, all I'd like to be able to do is play games like GTAV and Battlefield and Destiny 2 and stuff at ultra or high resolution at a silky smooth framerate at 1080p.

Oh, and I'm a dirty Windows 7 gamer, too.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 15, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Narzack posted:

Yeah, I mean, I'm not really interested in overclocking anymore. Those years are past me. Really, all I'd like to be able to do is play games like GTAV and Battlefield and Destiny 2 and stuff at ultra or high resolution at a silky smooth framerate at 1080p.

Windows 7 may be tricky, you might wind up sideloading usb drivers. It's not hard it's just a pain. I can say from experience a 2600 can push 60fps in Destiny 2 at stock, so it'd be up to your graphics card at that point.

Overclocking has (allegedly) never been easier, but if you're only going for 60fps you don't need to, and even if you did OC down the line it's not like not have a pro tier board would stop you.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Narzack posted:

The nice thing about AMD's CPUs is that all you have to do to overclock is turn on Precision Boost Overdrive, and the voltage/CPU parameters will automatically be adjusted to the stable limit for your cooling and motherboard's power management. It's generally a decent 5-10% performance boost for gaming, so while not strictly necessary, it will certainly help longevity when the CPU starts being your bottleneck. Especially if you end up buying a high-refresh monitor down the road (highly recommended!), since high refresh rates are where differences in CPUs start making more of a difference.

Better power management can also help board longevity because the components are generally better and be under less stress. That's not to dissuade you from a Pro4, it's a decent board if you're not overclocking (and even has a VRM heatsink!), but there are advantages to more expensive boards even if you aren't overclocking! Either way you'll be fine on SATA and USB ports - both boards have 6 SATA and a pile of USB ports in a mix of USB 3.1 Gen 2 (the new 10Gbs standard), USB 3.1 Gen 1 (identical to USB 3.0; 5Gbs), and older USB 2.0 (480Mbs) - The Pro4 has 8 on the back and Tomahawk has 6, plus both have internal connectors for 2 more 3.1 Gen 1 and/or 4 more USB 2.0 front panel ports.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Zen is the offensive and inconsiderate codename that AMD gave their recent slate of CPUs, before officially naming them Ryzen.

Zen is the architecture name, Ryzen is a consumer product based on Zen

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Stickman posted:

Assuming your friend is gaming at 1080p, this is a good place to start:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($266.75 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($106.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 570 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card ($219.88 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Fractal Design - Define C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($93.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1096.59

Assuming your friend is gaming on a 1080p monitor at 60Hz, an RX 570 should be sufficient for a stable 60fps on Devil May Cry 5 with maxxed settings. Without buying a used card, it'd be tough to save more than $20-30 on a decent new graphics card, even if you're targeting medium settings. If your friend is willing to spend a little bit more, the EVGA 1660 Ti for $330 is a killer deal. It's roughly 50% more powerful than the 570 (benchmarks), and while you wouldn't notice a difference in DMC5 @ 1080p/60Hz, it'll be a boon if your friend thinks they might play more GPU-intensive current or future games.

You could save $30 by choosing a 2600 instead of the 2600X, but the overclock-capable stock cooler and enhanced auto-overclocking through precision boost overdrive is a good deal, and should be noticeable in video export performance!

The Tomahawk is a solid AM4 board with top-notch power management and decent features. If your friend is interested in built-in WIFI/bluetooth, the MSi B450 Pro Carbon AC is $30 more and besides the Wifi/bluetooth, also comes with an additional M.2 slot, upgraded power management, and slightly better onboard audio.

The Define C is a placeholder case - it's a solid choice, but feel free to choose whatever they'd like (or ask for recommendations with more budget/aesthetic preference details).

The Platinum PSU is currently the same price as it's gold equivalent and is currently the cheapest of the EVGA G1+/G2/G3 or Seasonic Focus Plus or Corsair (2018) gold series. These are all solid choices with 10-year warranties and I'd go with whatever is the cheapest in the 550-750W range. The 550/650W G2/G3s only have 7-year warranties, but they're still a good investment. It's highly recommended to go with a good PSU, since they can take out other components when they die!

Thanks so much for this! I've sent the links, but also just asked whether a copy of Windows needs to be on the shopping list.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I want to upgrade my ESXi rig to Ryzen so that I've got at least 8c/16t for VM's.

All of my machines are Intel and it'll be the first AMD machine I've had in years.

As I understand, the 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen (1700 and 2700's) are cheap right now, that Zen2 is round the corner.

I currently have a EVGA Supernova G2 650W, 32G RAM (4x 8G) and an ASRock Z270 Pro4 mobo in my ESXi rig.

I want to buy a cheap CPU now (possibly even the 1700 series to be really cheap). But I want the mobo to be compatible with Zen2 when it comes out.

Suggestions for a full ATX/mATX motherboard with at least one NVMe slot (preferably 2?) and four RAM slots.

The 32G RAM I'm running is only 2400Mhz DDR4 and I'm not interested in balls-out clockspeed for gaming. I just want something with loads of threads and plenty RAM/storage to run my homelab of VM's in ESXi. The opportunity to throw in my GTX 1060 and pass it through to a VM for some casual gaming is a must, too.

So, do I need a B450 motherboard or an X470 motherboard to be able to use a cheap Ryzen now and then upgrade to something fancy in a few months time?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm sure the bad press from this will convince them to *not* do this, or someone just didn't know what they were talking about, but this might cast some shade on the "get an MSI Tomahawk board" advice: https://www.techpowerup.com/254634/msi-betrays-amds-socket-am4-longevity-promise-no-zen2-for-300-series

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Yikes! One of the notable selling points of AMD is that they aren't as willing to build in some planned obsolescence like Intel do every tick-tock.

I would still be alright with a 400 series board, right?

I'm a bit of an ASRock fanboy (well, you tend to gravitate to what you're used to, don't you?) and I'm currently eyeing up an ASRock B450 Pro4. I'm thinking of getting the mobo brand-new and looking around eBay for a used Ryzen 1700.

That should give me plenty of ooomph for running a few VM's on, and the option to switch to Zen2 around Christmas, yeah?

e: I honestly don't know why I'm asking you if it'll work with Zen2, when I could Google or watch one of a thousand YouTube videos! I surprise myself sometimes! Ready to pull the trigger on this mobo now. Quite excited about having an 8 core, 16 thread CPU. It'll be the most I've ever had :-D

apropos man fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 16, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm sure the bad press from this will convince them to *not* do this, or someone just didn't know what they were talking about, but this might cast some shade on the "get an MSI Tomahawk board" advice: https://www.techpowerup.com/254634/msi-betrays-amds-socket-am4-longevity-promise-no-zen2-for-300-series

That's pretty lovely if they actually follow through with it, though I suspect AMD will lean on them pretty heavily since their marketing has been pushing "AM4 through 2020" and having board manufacturers jump ship would hurt AMD. I'm not sure if it's enough to stop recommending MSi boards in the mid-range, since they're still head-and-shoulders value above the competition and we don't know how it will play out or what other board manufacturers will do. Definitely another tick in the "wait a month and a half for Computex if you can" column, though!

apropos man posted:

Yikes! One of the notable selling points of AMD is that they aren't as willing to build in some planned obsolescence like Intel do every tick-tock.

I would still be alright with a 400 series board, right?

I'm a bit of an ASRock fanboy (well, you tend to gravitate to what you're used to, don't you?) and I'm currently eyeing up an ASRock B450 Pro4. I'm thinking of getting the mobo brand-new and looking around eBay for a used Ryzen 1700.

That should give me plenty of ooomph for running a few VM's on, and the option to switch to Zen2 around Christmas, yeah?

400 series will be fine either way. If they actually fail to support Zen 2 on 300-series boards, they might lock down Zen 3 on the 400-series boards, though. We'll have to see what happens. The Pro4 is definitely the best of budget B450 options. I wouldn't pair it with a 2700X, but it's fine for a stock 2600(X) or light overclocking.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 16, 2019

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Stickman posted:

400 series will be fine either way. If they actually fail to support Zen 2 on 300-series boards, they might lock down Zen 3 on the 400-series boards, though. We'll have to see what happens. The Pro4 is definitely the best of budget B450 options. I wouldn't pair it with a 2700X, but it's fine for a stock 2600(X) or light overclocking.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. As you can probably tell from my earlier post, I'm not looking to squeeze this thing to it's limits. I may do a mild overclock on the CPU but it's mainly a system in a big box (a five year old Fractal R5) that will house plenty of cores, ram and drives. So if I get a Ryzen 1700 now I'll probably upgrade to the Zen2 equivalent of the 2700 (3700?) when they're available.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

apropos man posted:

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. As you can probably tell from my earlier post, I'm not looking to squeeze this thing to it's limits. I may do a mild overclock on the CPU but it's mainly a system in a big box (a five year old Fractal R5) that will house plenty of cores, ram and drives. So if I get a Ryzen 1700 now I'll probably upgrade to the Zen2 equivalent of the 2700 (3700?) when they're available.

Yeah, for VMs that should be a fine choice! You miss out on a bit of the OC single-core performance that's useful for games, but you're pretty much maximizing multi-core performance for the budget. We don't know what the Zen 2 stack's power consumption will look like yet, but it's likely that AMD will try to keep it in line with the Zen 1/1+ stacks, especially at stock.

E: Note that X470 boards have one additional PCIe 3.0 lane (for two total) and two additional 2.0 lanes (8 total) over the B450 chipset. That might be important for you, depending on the VM application.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 16, 2019

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Stickman posted:

E: Note that X470 boards have one additional PCIe 3.0 lane (for two total) and two additional 2.0 lanes (8 total) over the B450 chipset. That might be important for you, depending on the VM application.

Hmm. I don't think I'm gonna be maxxing out the lanes on it. I've actually got an equivalent Intel board sat about 6 foot away from me (the ASRock Z270 Pro4). One of the neat things about that is that it will take two NVMe drives at once. One of the ports is PCIe x4 and the other one is PCIe x2.

I had a look at the ASRock site for this AMD board and it's the same. Nice to have the option of two NVMe drives, even though I've only got one in at the moment.

So if I use a single, mid-range graphics card to pass through to the Windows VM that I plan to use for light/medium gaming and I end up running a 4 lane NVMe drive and a 2 lane NVMe drive I think I'll be within the scope of the board.

To be honest, it's probably more sensible to use a single NVMe for booting from and then a bunch of SATA 2.5" SSD's for storing VM's and data. I've got the current board rigged up like that: booting ESXi from a single NVMe and a Samsung SATA drive for extra space.

ESXi takes up hardly any space on the NVMe for booting, so I've got the rest of the drive configured as a datastore for VM's. I use the faster NVMe datastore for VM's that are pretty heavy on resources, like Windows Server. Server 2016 can act like a sluggish thing compared to plain Windows 10, especially during the initial system update when you install it.

Then all my more lightweight VM's are on the Samsung, which is configured as datastore 2.

The Intel board will be getting sold when I've put this Ryzen system together. Which I'm must do now, instead of waffling on here.

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
useless

I HAVE GOUT fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 17, 2019

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hi thread, you were great in my last build about 4 years ago and I am getting an itch to build a new one. I'm terrible at picking parts but I can install them. So I was needing some help at getting a new one picked out. I only really use it for gaming, so any starting point would be great, looking at maybe a small case and I don't wanna deal with overclocking if possible.

What country are you in? US

What are you using the system for? Gaming, I want to run things on high or ultra, I was trying to play battlefront 2 and it chugs pretty hard on low settings.

What's your budget? 700ish

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Nope

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920 x 1080

How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Ultra preset as fast as possible

Thank you friends.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Hi thread, you were great in my last build about 4 years ago and I am getting an itch to build a new one. I'm terrible at picking parts but I can install them. So I was needing some help at getting a new one picked out. I only really use it for gaming, so any starting point would be great, looking at maybe a small case and I don't wanna deal with overclocking if possible.

What country are you in? US

What are you using the system for? Gaming, I want to run things on high or ultra, I was trying to play battlefront 2 and it chugs pretty hard on low settings.

What's your budget? 700ish

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Nope

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920 x 1080

How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Ultra preset as fast as possible

Thank you friends.

If your computer is only four years old and your monitor maxes out at ~60Hz, there's a good chance you can get 60fps at ultra settings with just a GPU upgrade. For Battlefront 2 specifically, an AMD RX 570 is the cheapest card the should give you a stable 60fps on Ultra settings (Battlefront 2 benchmarks and another). This XFX 570 for $140 is a solid option. If you're looking to play newer, more GPU-intensive games, you might want to consider upgrading to an RX 580 (XFX Black for $180), a NVidia GTX 1660 (the MSi Ventus is $220) or a 1660 Ti (MSi Ventus for $280). Babeltech has a great benchmark showing performance of the 1660 and 1660 Ti (and a few other cards) across a huge range of games. The 570 and 580 aren't on the list, but the 570 is slightly less powerful than the listed 480, and the 580 should fall about halfway between the 480 and the 590.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 16, 2019

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Stickman posted:

If your computer is only four years old and your monitor maxes out at ~60Hz, there's a good chance you can get 60fps at ultra settings with just a GPU upgrade. For Battlefront 2 specifically, an AMD RX 570 is the cheapest card the should give you a stable 60fps on Ultra settings (Battlefront 2 benchmarks and another). This XFX 570 for $140 is a solid option. If you're looking to play newer, more GPU-intensive games, you might want to consider upgrading to an RX 580 (XFX Black for $180), a NVidia GTX 1660 (the MSi Ventus is $220) or a 1660 Ti (MSi Ventus for $280). Babeltech has a great benchmark showing performance of the 1660 and 1660 Ti (and a few other cards) across a huge range of games. The 570 and 580 aren't on the list, but the 570 is slightly less powerful than the listed 480, and the 580 should fall about halfway between the 480 and the 590.

This is what I'm siting with right now:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i3 4170 @ 3.70GHz 46 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASRock H97 Pro4 (CPUSocket) 25 °C
Graphics
C32F391 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (EVGA) 21 °C
Storage
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD)) 23 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Worth upgrading?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
You almost cannot go wrong with a Ryzen 2600 + B450 mobo + 16GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz + RX570/580 8GB for standard 1080p gaming, it's the sweet spot currently. The value-for-dollar only gets worse moving up or down from there.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Yeah your first option is upgrading your CPU to an i7 (4xxx or 5xxx),your RAM to 16 GB DDR3, and your GPU as Stickman said. But you would be investing in old technology for the first two points, so it may be worth it to jump to Ryzen as Palladium said.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

This is what I got so far, think I’ll probably just invest in newer stuff than upgrading.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 4 GB Dual Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $686.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-16 09:46 EDT-0400

Like I said I’m not good with picking parts so I’m sure someone could massage some of the parts and any good recommendations on a smaller case?

I really do appreciate the help.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

This is what I got so far, think I’ll probably just invest in newer stuff than upgrading.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 4 GB Dual Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $686.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-16 09:46 EDT-0400

Like I said I’m not good with picking parts so I’m sure someone could massage some of the parts and any good recommendations on a smaller case?

I really do appreciate the help.

Don't go with single channel ram, get a 2x8 kit.

Your PSU is a bit overkill though I don't think that will hurt anything, but a 550w might run more efficiently. Either way, EVGA supernova g2/g3, Seasonic focus plus, and Corsair RMx are all top tier and one or the other is pretty much always available for $50, so get whichevers cheapest when you go to buy parts.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
IMO if you aren't in a hurry you should be following deals in the buildapcsales subreddit closely to get the best out of your dollar.

Currently 1TB MX500 SSD can be had for just $96 with coupon code, an XFX RX580 8GB for $140, Seasonic Focus Plus 750W for $70 after MIR.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Current build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 Memory
Case: Corsair - 450D ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970
Storage Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Storage Drive: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Boot drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Main monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 27-Inch 2560x1440 IPS Monitor

It's been several months, I've been waiting on a decent GPU deal; is there anything like the GTX 970 right now (really good price/performance ratio)? Computer is running most of the stuff I play just fine (just installed Shadow of War on it, and it looks great). Cyberpunk 2077 is probably the thing I'm most looking forward to, eventually want to get a widescreen curved monitor, too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What power supply would one use with something like this: https://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-components-motherboards-single-processor-m11sdv-4c-ln4f-10028797

I've seen people saying "just get a 12V DSU PSU" but I have no idea what that means or where I can buy one.

Manufacturer site info: https://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Embedded/M11SDV-4C-LN4F.cfm

It looks like it has a single 8-pin power connector, plus maybe some more things? Also the motherboard seems to be able to power SATA drives via power output?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

How does the 580 rate?

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

How does the 580 rate?

Well, here it is in your current system compared to your current gpu.
https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/am...en&currency=usd

Looks like a decent upgrade to me from what I've been reading. I'm upgrading from a GTX760 to a 1660Ti myself. Which is only about 20% faster at 1080p, for 14% higher cost, compared to the 580. But 100% faster than the 760.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Ok how bout any good recommendations of a case as small as I can get? I don’t need a cpu cooler for that Ryzen 5 right?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ok how bout any good recommendations of a case as small as I can get? I don’t need a cpu cooler for that Ryzen 5 right?

As small as you can get:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($62.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Core Edition Video Card ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($114.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $760.59

Still very small, but cheaper and the GPU will run cooler:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($62.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Core Edition Video Card ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($44.76 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $681.45

E: If you're willing to spend a little more, you can get a 1TB MX500 for $105 using the promo code here.

If you have Windows 10 or 7 on your current system, you can use the key to activate Windows 10 on your new system. You'll probably have to call the support number during the activation step, but it should work in the end!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 16, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Current build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 Memory
Case: Corsair - 450D ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970
Storage Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Storage Drive: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Boot drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Main monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 27-Inch 2560x1440 IPS Monitor

It's been several months, I've been waiting on a decent GPU deal; is there anything like the GTX 970 right now (really good price/performance ratio)? Computer is running most of the stuff I play just fine (just installed Shadow of War on it, and it looks great). Cyberpunk 2077 is probably the thing I'm most looking forward to, eventually want to get a widescreen curved monitor, too.

If it does what you want it to do, I wouldn't upgrade until there's something specific that you want better performance on. Even 970s turned into better deals over time (barring another *coin boom, which is unlikely in the age of ASICs). There's still not a high-value general upgrade, but the $220 1660 is the cheapest card that offers better performance and offers ~25% more performance, a $280 1660 Ti would be about a 45% performance boost, and a $350 2060 would be ~70%. Babeltech has a very comprehensive benchmark of the 970 v the 1660, 1660 Ti, and 2060 across a wide range of games. Used 970s are selling for $75-100 on ebay, so you could potentially offset a bit of the upgrade cost.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Thank you for the help.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

For Windows codes, I found that a Windows 8 key that I had from MSDNAA years ago worked for Windows 10. I used the Windows 10 downloader thing from Microsoft and it didn't seem to accept the key during installation, but when the "you need to activate lol" watermark started showing up, I entered the key in the control panel and it quit yelling at me. I don't know if I converted that key at some point to be a Windows 10 key or if that control panel box just accepts any "valid" key, but hey this method worked for me and I didn't have to pay for another key.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Thank you for the help.

You're welcome! Also keep in mind that the next generation of AMD CPUs is likely announcing at the end of May, and probably launching this summer. There's a good possibility that they'll be a decent price/performance upgrade over the 2X00 CPUs (and the 2X00 CPUs will probably see some deeper discounts), which is why I've been hesitant to recommend a full upgrade now. That might be another reason to consider upgrading your GPU now and holding off on the rest of the computer for a bit.

E: Here's someone getting 60+ fps with a 4170 and a GTX 950. That tells me that the 4170 itself isn't going to be preventing 60+fps, so you should be fine with a 580 in your current system (a 580 is double the power of a 4170).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 16, 2019

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What's the minimum graphical power required to stream / play 4k movies? I'm not particularly worried about playing video games at 4k unless the required output was similar. I'm looking at cheap barebones machines that have onboard Intel graphics cards but am not sure that would do the trick.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

seiferguy posted:

What's the minimum graphical power required to stream / play 4k movies? I'm not particularly worried about playing video games at 4k unless the required output was similar. I'm looking at cheap barebones machines that have onboard Intel graphics cards but am not sure that would do the trick.

Depends what you're streaming or how you're doing it.

Due to DRM 4k and 4k hdr Netflix requires a gtx 1050 or greater OR an Intel iX-7yyy or greater (7th gen or newer Intel cpu). You also need a hdcp 2.2 capable display and must use Windows 10's Netflix app in the store or Microsoft edge. Not sure if edge works anymore now that it's chromium based. Pretty sure most 4k hdr streaming services have similar DRM if they offer the option to play it on Windows at all

If you mean watching a 4k hdr thing on a TV streamed to it via plex or something you need a settop box or whatever that doesn't have to transcode the video (so shield tv, Apple TV 4k, maybe roku ultra, certain apps built into some of the 4k hdr TV's etc). My old ivy bridge quad core is more than enough so long as you don't have to transcode the video.

If you mean playing that stuff on your PC to a PC monitor a quad core CPU and the right codecs or vlc or whatever work unless it's in hdr. Then you have to figure out how to tonemap it properly with stuff or it's all washed out if you don't have a 4k hdr monitor and I don't know much about that

Edit if you're looking to make a bunch of cheap htpcs. Shield tv is more cost effective unless you have a weird edge case since it can play pretty much anything with Kodi, use plex/be a plex server, and has access to pretty much every online media store except for the iTunes store (if you want that you buy an Apple TV 4k and can get plex/something like plex running on it)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 16, 2019

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Can Intel chips' QSV decode 4K stuff?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

seiferguy posted:

To stream, simply something that can run PLEX as long as the device itself isn't transcoding. Your primary media server would need to be beefy as gently caress though, the more money you throw at it the better basically.

Real deal PLEX servers for serving multiple 4K streams simultaneously can be quite expensive, you'd be looking at multiple thousands of dollars worth of CPU power.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 16, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Kinda-sorta? It requires it to be bone stock MP4 with no DRM or anything else for best results. When you add DRM and or weird things it adds CPU overhead, sometimes significant amounts of it. Older generations of Intel CPUs even with Quick Sync may not have enough grunt to do 4k video if there's overhead from DRM and other things.

Also yes while PLEX can work with Intel QSV you won't get HDR or anything in your transcoded plex stream.

I do not know if AMD has a similar tech to Intel's Quick Sync video decoding, if it exists I've not been able to find it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Probably but plex doesn't do it right and most of the time you'll lose hdr metadata