Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Installed a few QoL mods and started this for the first time today. Started as a Holy Nation citizen and have been mostly mining copper, scavenging, building out the long house you can buy in Bad Teeth and researching things to make life a little easier.

Recruited Bard early on a lark, there’s another bar person in Bad Teeth I could pick up. Should I hold off on doing too much recruitment early on? Should I focus on training dummies / weigh benching with a handful of recruits before doing much else? I’m not really sure when I can start to venture out from Bad Teeth and do much of anything else but sell Copper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just remember each person you recruit is another mouth to feed, body to patch up and person to arm. Beyond that the only other downside is that you may feel overwhelmed trying to command more and more people.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Iverron posted:

Recruited Bard early on a lark, there’s another bar person in Bad Teeth I could pick up. Should I hold off on doing too much recruitment early on? Should I focus on training dummies / weigh benching with a handful of recruits before doing much else? I’m not really sure when I can start to venture out from Bad Teeth and do much of anything else but sell Copper.

I'm doing a no save/load file and the first thing I'm doing is a huge round-trip to find free recruits so I can put them to work. Traveling with a huge team can get unwieldy in terms of food management, but if you've got an away team you're happy with, recruiting more people will mean more work can get done at home. Even if your new recruits are just on afk copper/STR farming, once you get later into the game and can give them top-tier armor it'll be much easier to powerlevel their combat skills when they don't take damage. My away team was like eight people or so, with everyone else getting sent back to base

e: man, everyone here told me to do a slave start my first time through and I really didn't have any sort of comprehension JUST how impossible the game can seem if you don't. I've been totally teamwiped by a single bone dog...more than twice

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 14, 2019

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

day 20 and I'm still trying to escape from this goddamn slave camp. I just cannot outrun the guards and if I try to stealth past them, they still notice me. Not like I'm looking forwards to getting outside anyway considering I'm penniless and without food.

dammit.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
so earlier i said one of my guys got enslaved and I just let it happen to see where it went, and to try out training stuff as a slave.

well, it informed me of a few things.

the slavery ai/system is really loving buggy ESPESCIALLY if you throw a slaver/trader into a cell. he'll get enslaved by another slaver, but if you let him out he'll just go back to his slaver routine (even if he has a popup like psst... get me out or w/e). the other slavers will occasionally try to hit him but just stiltedly go back to their path.
ai in general is pretty bad

also, i spent a good 5 hours there with that character. I think a grand total of like 30 days or so, maybe more.

maybe it's just this slavery camp in particular kind of sucks, but I didn't get as much skill(s) out of it as I thought I would, and it was also extremely hard to actually do things people suggested (like break out at night, knock dudes out, steal stuff, etc).

probably because this camp is constantly staffed and there are guards everywhere that you can't knock out till your skill is at least 20 or 25.

anyway, I eventually got out and became a knock out god. I let loose slaves so many times that some of them had toughness in the 30s-40s by the end. Unfortunately too many died, so by the time I escaped only like 3 or 4 were left, all of whom instantly joined me.

but heres a screenshot of the mess I made in the process. anyone i knocked out I would try to take all their poo poo and throw it on the ground before putting them in a cage. I didn't do it in like ~10 instances, but everyone else was naked (or dead).

now I'm hostile with the slave traders and slavers. I wonder if this means I pretty much can't go into UC cities? I'm trying to make my way to black scratch now with my weird posse. I feel kind of bad because I hired a mercenary squad to help me clear some of the heavy guards (the gate guards who don't patrol/do anything in camp), but everyone in it except the leader died when I tried to take out the heavy samurai guarding the nobles house.

eventually hired another merc squad of tech hunters, this time we wiped the heavies and the noble guards inside. They were loving tough though, we had 5 loving harpoon guns on them one at a time and they still wiped out like 2-3 dudes every fight.

hired them again for a couple days to get to black scratch. I'm still carrying the noble, i think his name is slavemaster Ruben? was hoping I could sell him somewhere for ransom money but I'm not sure i can. I'll probably just kill him or whatever.

edit: my dude i had imprisoned has ~70+ assassination/stealth and lockpicking now and good toughness, but her other stats are still pretty low.

as an aside, my bonedog is now an adult and quite badass. I wonder when he becomes an elder dog?

edit 2: also apparently the lowest your hunger goes is ~115, and you don't seem to die from it. every prisoner in the camp was emaciated by like day 20 or something. they wouldn't eat even if i put food in their inventory.

edit 3: this place sucks

they literally don't stop spawning. this is insane, also we lost. my tech hunter bros tried their best.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 14, 2019

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I let the slave start go AFK on 3x for a couple of hours. The stats were really unimpressive. You got a good amount of athletics and laboring but not that much strength because your inventory is too small to carry a lot of rocks. You can get stealth by trying to sneak and toughness for getting beat up, too but that takes clicks. Overall it’s not super impressive.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You pick your shackles off then throw them on the floor. After your token toughness training session provided by your friendly Okran follower, they will throw another set of shackles onto you. These weigh 20k a pop, you can carry maybe 8 of them in your inventory.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
huh, apparently my slave experiment now has a bounty of 113,000. amazing.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I let the slave start go AFK on 3x for a couple of hours. The stats were really unimpressive. You got a good amount of athletics and laboring but not that much strength because your inventory is too small to carry a lot of rocks. You can get stealth by trying to sneak and toughness for getting beat up, too but that takes clicks. Overall it’s not super impressive.

yeah my main issue is that my other 2 guys, who weren't enslaved, basically just stood around while I was doing my slave character. It's really micro intensive and I'm not sure how I'd manage to do 2 or 3 at a time without it taking 10x longer.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tabletops posted:

now I'm hostile with the slave traders and slavers. I wonder if this means I pretty much can't go into UC cities? I'm trying to make my way to black scratch now with my weird posse.
Not much more so than anywhere else. They're not officially affiliated. You'll run into Slaver/Slave Trader squads out in the desert which will try to attack you, but only minimally more often than you would anywhere else. Within the cities, the slavers tend to stick to their own buildings and don't really roam around. Maybe save outside first if you try to get into a UC city, on the chance that getting into a fight with slavers drags UC into the scrum and causes a hostility spiral, but that's the worst of it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Leal posted:

You pick your shackles off then throw them on the floor. After your token toughness training session provided by your friendly Okran follower, they will throw another set of shackles onto you. These weigh 20k a pop, you can carry maybe 8 of them in your inventory.

10, actually, for a total of 200kg weight- and that's not counting the shackles on your legs :unsmigghh: Just remember to drop them come the time to fight.

That's just normal shackles though; IIRC you can only carry 6 Hiver shackles with 2 normal ones in the same amount of space.

Tabletops posted:

yeah my main issue is that my other 2 guys, who weren't enslaved, basically just stood around while I was doing my slave character. It's really micro intensive and I'm not sure how I'd manage to do 2 or 3 at a time without it taking 10x longer.

Serious proposition: Get them enslaved too! Also turn down the game speed; I've found it can really help with micro.

More slave tips:
1: There are certain actions that will not arouse guard suspicion- running back to a cage is one of them. If there is one particular dude you want to train strength like a Shek, running a guy back to an empty cage (especially if that cage is near the Shek) increases the chances of the dude you want actually being selected for strength training.

2: I don't know if this applies to UC guards as well, but the Holy Nation guards in Rebirth do not take away backpacks or their contents, so if you want an easier slave start just buy some packs, and run into an empty cage in Rebirth. Or just edit a start to give yourself a pack. It's a single player game, go nuts.
2a: If you get knocked unconscious, you cans till manipulate your inventory, Should a dude be knocked out, quickly transfer food or whatever into a pack if you've got one. Guards only take your armour, weapons and personal inventory.

3: If you're getting frustrated that the guards never seem to pick your dudes for training, try increasing the number of squads and reducing squad size- it seems that only a few guards from each squad will take out a prisoner, and lowering the number of dudes in each squad increases the chances that one of them will be the dude who takes out prisoners for work, which means increasing your dudes' chances of actually doing stuff. True, it reduces the number of prisoners you can bring out, but unless you really want to play a RTRPG, you don't really need to worry about this bit.

4: If you're unarmed, try fighting indoors- IIRC you get a +8 to your MA while indoors. While this might seem counterintuitive since Kenshi gives XP bonuses depending on how low your skills are, fighting skills only actually get that XP if you land a blow. Same for dodging, except it's about not getting hit obviously. All this is why you drop whatever weights you're using before fighting.

5: If and when you want to build up defences and toughness, have one guy Taunt while in defensive mode so everyone starts whacking them and they can practice tanking. If you've got more than one dude, try to have one dude constantly tanking while another fights. The tank's not gonna distract everyone, but they might take enough pressure off the fighter for the latter to get a few hits in. Alternate them for maximum effect.

Haven't tried carrying a body while labouring, though- something to try out for a new game I guess.

But yeah, if you don't take an active role in running your slaves' lives like ensuring they're constantly weighed down, or constantly escaping and practicing your skills, it's not going to seem too impressive, especially since Kenshi's systems make it so that you gain more skills. It's why the slave start is the best start by far once you've got some experience with Kenshi down and can handle the system's quirks, but quite underwhelming otherwise.

EDIT: And 113k bounty? Hah, you scrub. I have dudes with more than a quarter million cat bounties; at this point, it's more like keeping score.

Tip to increase your bounty as a slave: Once you knock out a dude, pick them up and get caught, or just pick up a dude you've downed in a fight. Easy +5k bounty, and once you're knocked out and put back in a cage, you'll have another chance to do it again. Try stealing something while you're at it too, but only in sight of an aware enemy.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 14, 2019

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Cardiovorax posted:

Not much more so than anywhere else. They're not officially affiliated. You'll run into Slaver/Slave Trader squads out in the desert which will try to attack you, but only minimally more often than you would anywhere else. Within the cities, the slavers tend to stick to their own buildings and don't really roam around. Maybe save outside first if you try to get into a UC city, on the chance that getting into a fight with slavers drags UC into the scrum and causes a hostility spiral, but that's the worst of it.

heh, went to brink and there were slavers going through town constantly. the uc guards would only attack me though if we got into a scuffle. oh well, guess i'll go try out the west side of the continent!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

heh, went to brink and there were slavers going through town constantly. the uc guards would only attack me though if we got into a scuffle. oh well, guess i'll go try out the west side of the continent!
Maybe you just got unlucky, I tend to stick to the Eastern fringe of the great desert and don't usually have a lot of of problems of that type. That said, I also heavily spec into stealth and make a point of going through most cities without being noticed in general. It's always a good idea to have a ninja type in your squad who can infiltration type activities like that, just in case you need it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

VulgarandStupid posted:

Leal posted:

You pick your shackles off then throw them on the floor.

Yeah, use shackles and not rocks. If you take your shackles off while already in a cage, the guards won't even beat you up before giving you another pair, so it's really quick to get a full inventory. In regards to stealth, the best way to level that is to sneak after someone puts you in a cage or in a prisoner pole, for some reason your stats will go up without you needing to move, and it'll go up VERY fast.

By far the toughest stats to level up are MA/Dodge just because of how ineffective they are at low levels against the guards, even after some creative crippling.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

CommissarMega posted:

10, actually, for a total of 200kg weight- and that's not counting the shackles on your legs :unsmigghh: Just remember to drop them come the time to fight.

That's just normal shackles though; IIRC you can only carry 6 Hiver shackles with 2 normal ones in the same amount of space.

Serious proposition: Get them enslaved too! Also turn down the game speed; I've found it can really help with micro.

More slave tips:
1: There are certain actions that will not arouse guard suspicion- running back to a cage is one of them. If there is one particular dude you want to train strength like a Shek, running a guy back to an empty cage (especially if that cage is near the Shek) increases the chances of the dude you want actually being selected for strength training.

2: I don't know if this applies to UC guards as well, but the Holy Nation guards in Rebirth do not take away backpacks or their contents, so if you want an easier slave start just buy some packs, and run into an empty cage in Rebirth. Or just edit a start to give yourself a pack. It's a single player game, go nuts.
2a: If you get knocked unconscious, you cans till manipulate your inventory, Should a dude be knocked out, quickly transfer food or whatever into a pack if you've got one. Guards only take your armour, weapons and personal inventory.

3: If you're getting frustrated that the guards never seem to pick your dudes for training, try increasing the number of squads and reducing squad size- it seems that only a few guards from each squad will take out a prisoner, and lowering the number of dudes in each squad increases the chances that one of them will be the dude who takes out prisoners for work, which means increasing your dudes' chances of actually doing stuff. True, it reduces the number of prisoners you can bring out, but unless you really want to play a RTRPG, you don't really need to worry about this bit.

4: If you're unarmed, try fighting indoors- IIRC you get a +8 to your MA while indoors. While this might seem counterintuitive since Kenshi gives XP bonuses depending on how low your skills are, fighting skills only actually get that XP if you land a blow. Same for dodging, except it's about not getting hit obviously. All this is why you drop whatever weights you're using before fighting.

5: If and when you want to build up defences and toughness, have one guy Taunt while in defensive mode so everyone starts whacking them and they can practice tanking. If you've got more than one dude, try to have one dude constantly tanking while another fights. The tank's not gonna distract everyone, but they might take enough pressure off the fighter for the latter to get a few hits in. Alternate them for maximum effect.

Haven't tried carrying a body while labouring, though- something to try out for a new game I guess.

But yeah, if you don't take an active role in running your slaves' lives like ensuring they're constantly weighed down, or constantly escaping and practicing your skills, it's not going to seem too impressive, especially since Kenshi's systems make it so that you gain more skills. It's why the slave start is the best start by far once you've got some experience with Kenshi down and can handle the system's quirks, but quite underwhelming otherwise.

EDIT: And 113k bounty? Hah, you scrub. I have dudes with more than a quarter million cat bounties; at this point, it's more like keeping score.

Tip to increase your bounty as a slave: Once you knock out a dude, pick them up and get caught, or just pick up a dude you've downed in a fight. Easy +5k bounty, and once you're knocked out and put back in a cage, you'll have another chance to do it again. Try stealing something while you're at it too, but only in sight of an aware enemy.

ah... training. ok. in the UC slave camps they don't do any training at all. it's just labour which is not great for much except training labouring. I guess i picked the wrong place to do enslavement!

another tip: you can abuse cages by getting in them before you get beat down (if you are trying to train say, assassination or something and don't want the hassle of waiting for wounds to heal). If you jump in a cage before you're unconscious they'll just take you out for a second and put you back in and heal you if you are hurt. It's also a good way to lose attention and mess with AI tasks, most of the time they'll leave immediately allowing you to sneak and pop out and knock them out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah, use shackles and not rocks. If you take your shackles off while already in a cage, the guards won't even beat you up before giving you another pair, so it's really quick to get a full inventory.
And a convenient way to train your lockpicking. It's 100% risk-free.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Cardiovorax posted:

And a convenient way to train your lockpicking. It's 100% risk-free.

you can also very quickly get the loyalty of any other slaves by simply unlocking their cages (from your cage) over and over again as they are quickly knocked out and locked back up. Every time you do it seems to get some rep with them, and they'll quickly follow you at any moment.

also ran into a bunch of bugs with that, with my slave friends frequently waiting outside of their cages (unmolested by guards for some reason) for my slave character to come out of her cage, where they would follow her. For whatever reason they rarely got aggro from guards while doing this, often crawling (with broken legs) through the streets, up through the slaver boss's room, and next to my character.

truly some bizarre stuff going on there. I wonder If i should import, or if it's just how it is?

edit: also, I've been carrying around some masterwork skeleton limbs I managed to steal from a sand ninja tower in the beginning of this game. How do I lose my limbs other than combat (which seems both risky and unreliable)? I wish you could just voluntarily put them on.

my hiver prince's weak rear end limbs need some robot strength:(

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 14, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, nice. I hadn't even thought to try that. I've tried to assassinate-KO passing guards while I was in stealth, but that never worked while I was in my cage, so I just assumed that it stops you from interacting with outside objects altogether. Apparently not.

You can always just try and see. You're not forced to keep the imported game if you don't like what it gives you - you can always just go back to save you imported from.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh, nice. I hadn't even thought to try that. I've tried to assassinate-KO passing guards while I was in stealth, but that never worked while I was in my cage, so I just assumed that it stops you from interacting with outside objects altogether. Apparently not.

You can always just try and see. You're not forced to keep the imported game if you don't like what it gives you - you can always just go back to save you imported from.

Yeah, you can't assassinate from the cage but you can unlock any cage or shackles within range (which is pretty loving generous).

I had to train assassination by knocking out other prisoners early on. I couldn't use it on guards till I had around 20 or 25. So I'd get out, position myself between two prisoners cages and just knock them out in tandem over and over. worked pretty well, though I wish you could do it with a click instead of having to dig through the right click menu.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tabletops posted:

edit: also, I've been carrying around some masterwork skeleton limbs I managed to steal from a sand ninja tower in the beginning of this game. How do I lose my limbs other than combat (which seems both risky and unreliable)? I wish you could just voluntarily put them on.

my hiver prince's weak rear end limbs need some robot strength:(

There's an "endgame" area in the southeast that has de-limbing machines

Do not go there until you are able to make sure you are de-limbed by choice and not by force

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You can also just download one of the various "Peeler" mods that allow you to construct that machine yourself.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Following a suggestion I think in this thread I'm using the Fog to delimb characters while also giving them massive Toughness experience. Strength through pain is our faction motto.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So tip: if you manage to Ally with Starving Bandits faction, turn off "Help Allies". You'll constantly be attacking town guards who are fighting the starving bandits. Pretty soon the bandits will be your only friend!

Also starving bandits are actually worth the effort to Ally (although it is a lot of effort). Roaming squads of disposable mercs you can recruit with food? Yes please!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you should Pied Piper them all into the foglands

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
does anyone have any idea how to use the debug tools to fix stuff? I found a lab in the middle of no where, in an acid lake. I tried to climb up it but I can't, I just swim through the structure. there's a bunch of loot but it's all on the bottom of the lake instead of inside the building. also theres a really big gorillo there who has 999 limb health.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Huh, haven't seen this before, but the Hub got taken over by HN.

This was a problem as I had my home there and had a skelly in the party. Had the humies go in to dismantle all our stuff and we upped sticks to Squin, which was fine because things were getting cramped anyway.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
ok... if I import a save infront of the building, it fixes. everythings on top of it and the building itself changes its position.

however if I save after that, and then load that save, it changes back to hosed up and also seems to reset all my advanced game options (like nest # and stuff) to defaults.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tabletops posted:

ok... if I import a save infront of the building, it fixes. everythings on top of it and the building itself changes its position.

however if I save after that, and then load that save, it changes back to hosed up and also seems to reset all my advanced game options (like nest # and stuff) to defaults.

sounds like Kenshi

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

CommissarMega posted:

fighting skills only actually get that XP if you land a blow. Same for dodging, except it's about not getting hit obviously.

This is wrong, you get quite a bit of dodge XP for getting hit. But being encumbered does lower the dodge XP.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tabletops posted:

ah... training. ok. in the UC slave camps they don't do any training at all. it's just labour which is not great for much except training labouring. I guess i picked the wrong place to do enslavement!

Oh poo poo, sorry- I was trying to be funny :smithicide: What I meant by 'training' was basically slave labour, since you train strength and athletics.

BMan posted:

This is wrong, you get quite a bit of dodge XP for getting hit. But being encumbered does lower the dodge XP.

Huh, I guess I assumed it worked like martial arts did.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I accidentally lost track of my whipping boy :(. He'd gotten up to about 60 melee defence from training up my fighters.
(I put him in a skeleton bed to heal then got distracted. He must have snuck out rather again starting a new fight like he usually does)

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Any good beginner's first play through guide?

This game looks interesting, but there's so many systems, and I'm not super interested in getting my butt handed to me 10 times before I get an idea how this games works.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
So my adventures in vain continue. Made a gif of my base's development over time. You can see where I learned having only one gate versus sheks isn't ideal, and then learned that they will in fact blitz thru a wall to get at you if they can't path. I didn't give them a food handout for being in "their territory" (hello I am in Vain, this is clearly hive space) so they came to try to beat me up, failed, then came again and still technically failed despite brutalizing everyone. I haven't really done any sort of combat training or forcing people to run around with heavy bags because I'm too lazy to micro that poo poo, so I have just relied on numbers to cope with most problems, which fails when the shek can bring more dudes, with better equipment and stats, and weapons that are great versus mobs of trash.

It is funny how nonlethal its been, for me, at least. Two folk lost their left arms and a sad bug man lost his little legs but beyond that it's just standard brutalizing. In the second tussle I hired a lot of mercs who did, uh, badly, and lost some limbs themselves in the process. In preparation for the third attack of SHEKS REVENGE I went ahead and hired a lot of mercenaries again, but I figured I needed to do something more rude to sidestep the whole "getting maimed" problem. I guess I could have just had everyone take a one day holiday to avoid the whole thing but I also wanted to murder them for their insolence so I came up with a new plan of Weaponized Bad Pathfinding.

One of the joys of living around a giant awful acid lake is that Kenshi doesn't give a gently caress about total time or potential pain in pathfinding, just the "shortest route". So dudes would constantly run into the water and wade at 1mph while screaming, grab a rock, then do it again, backwards, as the flesh melted from their bones. As this did not appreciably build toughness I built a crappy wall around the lake, and then had to shove small crap into its gaps because holy hell it just turned a acid dip into a traffic jam acid dip which did not sufficiently improve things. But then when thinking about the issue of defense I realized, that if I just left a small gap in two particular locations, the AI would never path thru it, unless I set up some gates to funnel them into it.

The plan worked... kind of. The first problem was that my dudes, despite being given no jobs and told to hold, would ditch their posts to run into the waters so they could eat food. Which was resolved by magically dumping all the food out of the barrels. The other problem was that I still had a gently caress ton of mercs and a sad hive caravan who wanted to mill at the front gate. They all got absolutely skull hosed and brutalized by the around four dozen angry keratin brained thugs but would occasionally get up, resulting in all the shek doubling back to wail on them some more instead of braving the gauntlet. By the time all the mercs were done the Shek decided they were done and SHEKS REVENGE was declared "ended" instead of failed, which made me sad. Still, a few enterprising shek braved the acid waters to try to get at my gang, and they were happily shot to death and all died, which was satisfying. None of my dudes got touched at all, which probably violates the spirit of Kenshi but that's okay.

Brave shek!
Dead shek!
Dog.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Any good beginner's first play through guide?

This game looks interesting, but there's so many systems, and I'm not super interested in getting my butt handed to me 10 times before I get an idea how this games works.

I can give a cheesy grindy start guide

Step 1 is to take the Slavery start. Slavery is great both for learning and grinding stats because there are literally zero consequences to anything you do. No matter how much you piss of the guards, just pop back into a cage and they'll forget they were ever mad. Even if you get beaten into unconsciousness they'll bandage you up immediately, so you can't bleed to death and all that happened was that you gained some Toughness. And it's impossible to starve to death while enslaved no matter how much you fart around.

So you have your slaves. During the day, you'll be put to work. Either go AFK or if you want to pay attention then whenever your characters start actually working on something tell them to move 1m away so they'll hopefully start heading towards something else to work there. Repeat when they arrive. The reason you're doing this is that running around boosts your Athletics if unburdened and Strength if burdened, both of which you want. Doing work just boosts Labour which you don't care about.

Now it's night phase and you've been put back into a cage / on a pole. Once the guards leave, immediately pick the lock on your shackles then on your cage/pole. There are now several activities you can do:
1) Collect Shackles - you can do this if you've been put in a cage on the lower hut level and the guards haven't gone to bed yet. Every time you unlock them and put them in your inventory they'll come put another set on you, allowing you to accumulate a (very heavy) inventory full of shackles that will let you train Strength in the day phase
2) Train Stealth. This sometimes works if you stand in your cage and enter stealth mode. Other times it doesn't and I don't know why. But when it does, it levels insanely fast so just working once or twice should be sufficient. I've had the best luck standing in the cage on the lower floor of the huts where the guards are sleeping just the other side of the divider.
3) Train Assassination. For this, you need to have been tied to one of the outside poles. Once the guards are in bed, escape the pole then start repeatedly Knocking Out the other prisoners on their poles. You'll start with an incredibly low percentage, but it will increase. Once it's higher (and you have trained Stealth) you can go on to
3b) Train Assassination more. Sneak into the huts and knock out the guards. If you fail, either pop into a cage or just take the beating. You'll level assassination faster this way and can pull hilarious pranks like stealing the knocked-out guards' swords so the beatings hurt less in future.
4) Train Thieving (optional). Steal something (red text), then get back in your cage and repeatedly drop the item and pick it up again. Requires lots of clicking, I lost patience.

At any time you can train Toughness by pissing off the guards and receiving a beating.

Eventually you will want to escape. The exact method is up to you, but Stealth and Assassination are extremely useful. Protip: Guards can't chase you very well if they're wearing shackles
(You can come back to train some more at any time. Just come back and put yourself in a cage. You'll have to escape again when you've finished though.)

Once you have escaped you should make the long and dangerous journey down to the Hub. You've probably got good Athletics, so run away from things a lot. Next steps in a new post...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I'm not super interested in getting my butt handed to me 10 times

this is potentially an issue for someone playing kenshi

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So you're in the hub with your two badasses. What should you do next? Crimes.

Your Stealth, Assassination and Lockpicking are probably sky-high on at least one character, which means you can take basically anything you want from shops. Wait till midnight then sneak in, knock everyone out, and help yourself to whatever you like. The bartender in the Hub will buy anything you steal. Squin is a good place to hit first. Avoid fights when travelling between cities - if you have enough Stealth you can run fast while sneaky.
Buy membership in the Thieves so you can get some thiefing backpacks.
Also, hit up the bars everywhere you visit and see if you can get people to sign up. You're going to need warm bodies. To support them just buy food from the bars using your crime profits.

But a building in the Hub, repair it, and put in a Research bench. Have one guy doing Research full time using all the books you 'buy' (steal). The key technologies you need are Armour Crafting and Imprisonment.
At some point some nomads will wander through the Hub. Buy a bull and put a bull backpack on it. It can carry an insane amount, which will help your thieving and will be important in a bit.

Buy more buildings in the hub to keep putting stuff in them that you've researched and want. Once you can, put someone full-time onto training Armoursmithing. You need to get to 80 skill eventually.
My chosen method was to hire Tech Hunters from waystations then go hunting Beak Things. My character wouldn't participate in the combat to avoid being eaten, but just collected the skins at the end. Tanning skins trains Armoursmithing, and then you can use the leather to make stuff training it even more.
You'll need Cloth too though. At this point I started regularly sending the bull + a runner to nearby cities and waystations to buy them out of iron plates, cloth, animal skins and cotton (to make more cloth with). A circuit of the Hive Villages nets you a lot, they each have a Trader. Also buy armour plate and steel bars, though you don't need as much of those.
Optionally have a different person start making weapons (use the lowest-level weapon bench so you only need iron, not steel + cloth)

Get the Samurai Armour blueprint. You may need to send a runner to the United Cities. Also buy some rusted junk weapons from the hub bartender, or put a completely unskilled person on the weapon bench to make your own.
Build a complete set of Samurai armor for all your melee characters, plus a spare set.
Put some Prisoner Cages on the roof of one of the buildings you own in the Hub, and some beds downstairs.
Use your Assassinate-ninja to grab some people to put in the cages. Preferably enemies (like Dust Bosses etc) or you'll be pissing people off, but you may be fine with that. I grabbed some Holy Sentinels myself. Strip all your prisoners.
Gather all your characters you want to train on the roof, then lock the door to stop the ninjas interfering. Equip everyone with a rusted junk weapon of your choice, then equip a prisoner with the spare set of armour and a rusted junk sabre. Let them out of the cage, then beat them down. Put them back in the cage, apply first aid, then go downstairs and sleep of your own wounds. Since you're sleeping in a bed you heal 8x faster than they will, so you'll need multiple prisoners to keep up the pace - just take the armour and weapon from the wounded prisoner and give them to the next one in line.
Remember to feed your prisoners.

During this process you may wish to send your runners out around the world. Stealing from ancient ruins is tricky but rewarding.

Once your armour crafter gets to 80 skill, make a new set of samurai armor* for everyone plus either a leather turtleneck or chainmail (chainmail is a pain-in-the-rear end and also requires ancient science books, but offers better protection). By this point everyone in your combat team should be a badass from all the rooftop fights, so equip them with a good version of their weapon of choice (either stolen or from your weapon smith) plus the armour you just made. You now have a team of well-equipped, well trained combatants.

Go forth.

* I actually favour the Masked Helmet over the Samurai Helmet as it has no melee attack penalty

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 15, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Same thing, really.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
do monster pets have a maximum stat gain? my bonedog is an elder but his limb health hasn't gone up in quite a while.

his age gives him 1.10 stat multiplier, is that the max?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yes. Monster stats are proportional to their age class. Effectively speaking, they're like subraces for humanoid NPCs. You get Young, regular and Elder, in that order.

It's actually more intrinsic than humanoid races are, as far as I can tell. Where the FCS is concerned, only vanilla bonedogs even exist as a race. I can't find a way to actually modify the stats of Elder Bonedogs separately from standard bonedogs. I'm pretty certain that this might be just outright hardcoded.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm pretty sure I've had a stat increase after an animal grew to elder age - athletics jumped from ~70 to 90 when I wasn't looking. All the times I've watched any of their stats train, the green progress bar will fill all the way up and loop back to 0% but the number won't change. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, if that's what you meant, they definitely can "learn" things the way regular PCs do. Like, make them carry heavy poo poo and their strength will go up. Regular stuff.

Those multipliers will not change and seemingy cannot be changed even by mods, is what I meant.