Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Phanatic posted:

You need fuses in the plugs when you do insane stupid poo poo like ring mains because you can't afford copper and then even when you can afford copper you just keep on living with that in your house. In comparison house wiring in the US is a marvel of design.

That's only in UK. I don't think that's done anywhere else in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Saukkis posted:

That's only in UK. I don't think that's done anywhere else in Europe.

Schuko and europlug don't have fuses in the plug, if there is a fuse it's on the device.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

mostlygray posted:

US runs on 110/120 so the plugs don't have to be rock solid. That's why we don't use electric kettles; they're a waste of time on 110. The stove top is faster. If you're running 240 it's a whole different deal. Those have to be solid. It's just how we roll.

Also, wiring gets pretty janky over the years. People run new lines, sell the house, someone else runs new lines, sells the house.. Pretty soon it's a mess. My house was built in '72. The wiring is bizarre. There are 5 circuits for the kitchen, all GFI which is code. There is one circuit for all the bathrooms. There are 3 bathrooms on 2 floors and just one 15 amp breaker. It's all routed through one GFI outlet. I've mentioned before that I have an outlet that runs at 20.1 volts with the breaker tripped.. I still haven't figured that one out. I have a circuit for a DC transformer that used to power 12v tiki lights that are long gone. I have an outlet in the garage that shares a circuit with 2 different bedrooms. The outlets it services do not share a wall. They are on opposite sides of two different bedrooms. I don't know how they pulled the line and I don't care to know. Everything is goofy.

It is all reliable and strong. Everything works. It just works weird.

I dunno, it only takes my kettle a few minutes to heat up a liter of water

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Plus my entire apartment isn't heated by an electric kettle versus the stupid electric stovetop that wastes heat and is a radiant warmer for 30 minutes after use.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I dunno, it only takes my kettle a few minutes to heat up a liter of water

Yeah. My cuisinart 1.7l electric kettle only takes like a minute tops to boil a full pot.

Get one that isn't $30 garbage maybe?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Screw that, I used to use electric kettles but finally got a Zojirushi boiler, keeps 4L of water boiling water on tap at all times, never has to spool up.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I mean, for a given power (like saying a kettle is 1000w) upping the voltage would just decrease the current. Power is power is energy over time. Unless I'm completely fuckling my EE education which is a good possibility

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

Screw that, I used to use electric kettles but finally got a Zojirushi boiler, keeps 4L of water boiling water on tap at all times, never has to spool up.
That seems handy but the kettle has to pull double duty between coffee and tea. And I don't have enough counter top for both. Unless the boiler can be adjusted down for the mornings.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Guyver posted:

That seems handy but the kettle has to pull double duty between coffee and tea. And I don't have enough counter top for both. Unless the boiler can be adjusted down for the mornings.

yeah it has 4 temp settings. I keep mine at 190F and it works for tea and coffee fine. It's just always on and doesn't let the water evaporate out so you just never have to think about the water part of a drink.

e, content:

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 15, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Is that thing...operating within spec?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

final training level in the combat tutorial

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYG4m3u3Ch0

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I mean, for a given power (like saying a kettle is 1000w) upping the voltage would just decrease the current. Power is power is energy over time. Unless I'm completely fuckling my EE education which is a good possibility
Aren't the Euro kettles people brag about like 2-2.5kW. You aren't gonna get that in an insurance underwritten safety margin at 120V. I think you can occasionally get circuits at 20A 120V which can handle it nominally but that's supposed to be peak, not sustained.

Waiting for ovens to get a 240V pass through to hook up a kettle but that's probably also a bitch to get underwritten. Oh well, have gas now anyway (that takes longer than my old apartments electric top.)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
USA is a low-energy 120 V failing nation

:sad:

Can't even run a blender worth a drat on 120

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Who let Whistler drive again

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

P=IV so a 10A circuit at 110V gets you 1100W. In Europe, 10A at 220V gets you 2200W. The water will boil faster in Europe.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Azhais posted:

Who let Whistler drive again

God drat, this is a deep cut. Bravo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Real power is E/t. But power is also V*I, and it is also I^2*R. For a given power, it's more efficient to deliver it at a higher voltage and a lower current, because your resistive losses are lower. Granted, for a purely resistive device like a water heater, it's all going to turn to heat anyway. But then it's just a matter that if you have a 15-amp rated circuit you can deliver a lot more power at 230VAC than at 115VAC.

GotLag posted:

The hell you can't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OmpnfL5PCw

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 15, 2019

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GotLag posted:

USA is a low-energy 120 V failing nation

:sad:

The virgin America suffers from Low-E.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
My favorite (M)SDS I have ever seen to describe a chemical:

"Slightly reddish liquid with a refreshing odor."

It's a kind of penetrating lubricant.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Blindeye posted:

penetrating lubricant.

:pervert:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

GotLag posted:

A horsepower and a half is plenty to blend p much anything.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My makerspace had a fire because people in the wood shop were doing a ton of staining and poo poo with linseed oil and decided the big plastic general use garbage was the best place to hoard all their used oily rags.

If only there was a very well known rule of thumb about the disposal of oily rags in woodshops...

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

How?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/FirasElEchi10/status/1117840294408593408

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Truckfuckling magic.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I loving love the future

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Blindeye posted:

penetrating lubricant.

the horniest page in the thread

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 15, 2019

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
wow If it turns out to be the renovations that caused it some poor fucker is having a bad time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is the hunchback ok?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Soiled Meat
I just wanted to say that I wanted that axe spun up so fast that when that guy applied the breaks he'd be judo thrown into the countryside at 60rpm, with his axe, like some kind of maniac.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Trainfuckling with the trucks this time. The tables have turned.

:gary:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drat, looks like a new bridge too. who hosed up there?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Probably whoever built the bridge. I would assume that clearances for rail lines don't change all that often, so the train company will know if they will clear everything along the line. Probably built the bridge a little bit too low.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They still manage to gently caress up with bridges that have been there for a while. This happened outside my office a couple years ago:

They ran trains every day on that line.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

:yeshaha:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What the hell, train heights and bridge clearances are extremely well known that should never happen. Like I'd get it if it was a train car filled with some special over-height cargo they forgot to check with, but containers??

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Hmmm... wonder where Varg Vikernes has been living lately...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Baronjutter posted:

What the hell, train heights and bridge clearances are extremely well known that should never happen. Like I'd get it if it was a train car filled with some special over-height cargo they forgot to check with, but containers??

Only thing I can think of is somebody loaded one of those containers that is a foot higher than normal without checking the clearances.