Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

give me a mod that fixes animals drinking alcohol but adds in the leisure activity of pawns giving alcohol to your pets to see what they do and laughing at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

ah! okay I figured it out. The 1.0 version of Rimworld search agency isn't actually the one linked by the author on steam, it's the more revent commits on github. So rather than using the link he states is the 1.0 non-steam release, you need to manually go to the latest commit on github. Toot.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

isndl posted:

30 seconds to download a mod, and 30 seconds to load the additional mod every time you launch the game in the future. :v:

I feel like animal zones are still kind of necessary to deal with toxic fallout events, at which point you might as well continue to use zoning to manage your animals since you already have the zone configured and assigned. If you're using the colony manager mod you can set it up to automatically assign new animals to the appropriate zones as you go along anyways.

Animal zoning is an important part of any kind of animal husbandry in this game.

On the other hand, debating the virtues or sins of using a mod to keep your animals from opening beer bottles seems a bit gauche when half of this game is about modding it to be the game you want it to be.

But, seriously. I want to know how a newborn kitten got a beer bottle open, and then proceeded to drink the whole thing and go comatose with liver failure because a newborn kitten drank a 12oz bottle of beer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Warmachine posted:

On the other hand, debating the virtues or sins of using a mod to keep your animals from opening beer bottles seems a bit gauche when half of this game is about modding it to be the game you want it to be.
this thread goes way the hell overboard with its modding love affair imo. i'm all for modding the game, don't get me wrong, but the only topic more common than suggesting a mod is bitching about a mod conflict or a mod's update status. if you want to add adeptus mechanicus to rimworld then be my bloody guest, that sounds totally badass, but telling people to add another point of potential frustration and failure to the game without telling them that they have the tools to handle their problem natively is doing them absolutely no favors at all.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 16, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"Install this" is infinitely more sane and easy than multiple paragraphs of "micromanage your animal zones in this way for every colony you make and also any hauling animals won't be able to haul anything to your food stockpile"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Danaru posted:

"Install this" is infinitely more sane and easy than multiple paragraphs of "micromanage your animal zones in this way for every colony you make and also any hauling animals won't be able to haul anything to your food stockpile"

I use the animal zone. Its super easy. You make a box around your pantry, press invert, then trim off the bits outside your base and make sure they cant go into your killbox. Ez

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Warmachine posted:

But, seriously. I want to know how a newborn kitten got a beer bottle open, and then proceeded to drink the whole thing and go comatose with liver failure because a newborn kitten drank a 12oz bottle of beer.

Cats getting blasted on alcohol and dying of hideous alcohol poisoning is a long held tradition in these kinds of simulator games. You should be proud of having it happen to you.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Drunk kittens is funny to me so I let them get drunk.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

KirbyKhan posted:

I use the animal zone. Its super easy. You make a box around your pantry, press invert, then trim off the bits outside your base and make sure they cant go into your killbox. Ez

Yeah it's easy, but your animals still cant haul food and will happily eat lavish meals and drugs in other stockpiles, like how a lot of people keep food and booze in common areas.

Or you can just install a mod and forget it was ever an issue :shrug: like it's fine to not want to play with mods but framing it as "people shouldn't mod around bad design because it's a ~teachable moment~" is dumb as hell.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

bird food bathtub posted:

Cats getting blasted on alcohol and dying of hideous alcohol poisoning is a long held tradition in these kinds of simulator games. You should be proud of having it happen to you.

Hell look on the bright side, it's not as bad as the cat vomit incident in dwarf fortress

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Nalesh posted:

Hell look on the bright side, it's not as bad as the cat vomit incident in dwarf fortress

I always preferred forgotten beast sickness when caused by the blood or dust of a creature would be literally tracked around your entire fortress by visiting traders who would then promptly die, along with your entire fortress after they eat something (because their hands had one Urist of dust on them)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Danaru posted:

Yeah it's easy, but your animals still cant haul food and will happily eat lavish meals and drugs in other stockpiles, like how a lot of people keep food and booze in common areas.

Or you can just install a mod and forget it was ever an issue :shrug: like it's fine to not want to play with mods but framing it as "people shouldn't mod around bad design because it's a ~teachable moment~" is dumb as hell.

This is only an issue if you're relying on animals for hauling, which I found far less necessary after getting the mod to let pawns grab multiple items for hauling runs. Instead I now have mainly caravan animals that I keep outside where they won't track dirt everywhere.

I think one of my mods also lets me set dietary restrictions on animals? I haven't actually played around with it since I want to keep it flexible to avoid starvation while out on caravan, but that'd also solve the 'animals are getting into the lavish meals' issue. Maybe I'm confusing it with setting dietary restrictions on prisoners though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

isndl posted:

This is only an issue if you're relying on animals for hauling, which I found far less necessary after getting the mod to let pawns grab multiple items for hauling runs. Instead I now have mainly caravan animals that I keep outside where they won't track dirt everywhere.

I think one of my mods also lets me set dietary restrictions on animals? I haven't actually played around with it since I want to keep it flexible to avoid starvation while out on caravan, but that'd also solve the 'animals are getting into the lavish meals' issue. Maybe I'm confusing it with setting dietary restrictions on prisoners though.

WM Smarter Food Selection stops both the booze issue and the lavish food issue :v: they'll eat kibble or raw food/corpses instead and they'll stay out of my booze stash.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
What's this "lavish meals" bullshit I keep hearing about? Give the idiots paste, never have to worry about food poisoning, use less raw food, and free up more workers.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Keeshhound posted:

What's this "lavish meals" bullshit I keep hearing about? Give the idiots paste, never have to worry about food poisoning, use less raw food, and free up more workers.

Sometimes the workers are rioting because of bad moods and there's food rotting in the fields because the freezer is full. I have been meaning to experiment with nerve stapling, though...

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Just stick a bunch of statues in the dining room.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Just stick a bunch of statues in the dining room.

... of people vomiting.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

HelloSailorSign posted:

... of people vomiting.

No, the paste solves that problem.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

I'm trying for a space utopia colony not Shadowrun. Tasteless/artificially flavored goo may nourish the body but not the soul.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I'm trying for a space utopia colony not Shadowrun. Tasteless/artificially flavored goo may nourish the body but not the soul.

Depends what you feed the paste dispenser. What I feed mine has plenty of soul.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Warmachine posted:

I'm trying for a space utopia colony

I know what each of those words mean, but not in that order.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You can take my lavish meals from my cold, poor manipulation, power arms.

The telescoping blade is particularly useful for kabob night and smores.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Danaru posted:

i feel like i need to demonstrate why the love affair goes too far here, so i'm just going to grant that this is exactly as big of a problem as you say it is for a moment (it isn't, you're exaggerating and you granted that in another post - i get that context). even granting that (which, again, i don't think is reasonable), you have a couple of other questions.

1) how do you keep herd animals in the area you need them to stay so they do not wander into a killbox, a predator's path, or simply cause a lot of extra walking when it is time for milking/shearing/slaughtering?
2) how do you keep combat animals in an appropriate pen so they are close to where intruders will be?
3) how do you keep therapy animals (such as cats, or any other animal with a high nuzzle rate) in high traffic areas where they are more likely to choose to nuzzle?
4) how do you keep various species of animals with different diets separated so one does not end up impeding another?
5) how do you handle animals with frequent or fragile pregnancies that absolutely must not miss meals to make them worthwhile (pigs)?

i could go on but there are a hundred and one different cases for animal husbandry and zoning solves pretty much all of them. the biggest complaint about the zoning tool is not that it's complex, finicky, or micromanagey, it's that it literally takes longer to use it than it does to learn it because the UI loving sucks dick. all of the above problems will require some other mod if you want to avoid the use of a basic tool because a mod to modify beer behavior does not address any of them. what, exactly, is the solution, then? should we just link a full mod pack with an entire host of dependency, versioning, and functionality issues rather than just type the 3 sentences teaching someone how to use a basic tool?

again, i'm not inveighing against modding here, but let's stick to modding in ways that actually add to the game.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I run a lot of mods but don't think it's a bad idea to learn the game's systems. There was a PC Gamer review of rimworld where the author was manually harvesting individual potato plants because they didn't know how to drag and harvest all.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Coolguye posted:

i feel like i need to demonstrate why the love affair goes too far here, so i'm just going to grant that this is exactly as big of a problem as you say it is for a moment (it isn't, you're exaggerating and you granted that in another post - i get that context). even granting that (which, again, i don't think is reasonable), you have a couple of other questions.

1) how do you keep herd animals in the area you need them to stay so they do not wander into a killbox, a predator's path, or simply cause a lot of extra walking when it is time for milking/shearing/slaughtering?
2) how do you keep combat animals in an appropriate pen so they are close to where intruders will be?
3) how do you keep therapy animals (such as cats, or any other animal with a high nuzzle rate) in high traffic areas where they are more likely to choose to nuzzle?
4) how do you keep various species of animals with different diets separated so one does not end up impeding another?
5) how do you handle animals with frequent or fragile pregnancies that absolutely must not miss meals to make them worthwhile (pigs)?

i could go on but there are a hundred and one different cases for animal husbandry and zoning solves pretty much all of them. the biggest complaint about the zoning tool is not that it's complex, finicky, or micromanagey, it's that it literally takes longer to use it than it does to learn it because the UI loving sucks dick. all of the above problems will require some other mod if you want to avoid the use of a basic tool because a mod to modify beer behavior does not address any of them. what, exactly, is the solution, then? should we just link a full mod pack with an entire host of dependency, versioning, and functionality issues rather than just type the 3 sentences teaching someone how to use a basic tool?

again, i'm not inveighing against modding here, but let's stick to modding in ways that actually add to the game.

Do you think I'm against using zones in general because your gigantic brick wall of words has nothing to do with me saying it's easier to mod out this instance of bad game design rather than dezone all my food/drug stockpiles.

Also your slippery slope argument is weird as hell considering most mods that have dependencies are dependent on hugslib or jectools and that's it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Danaru posted:

Do you think I'm against using zones in general
yes.

Danaru posted:

that is precisely the way this reads.

Vengarr posted:

Complications posted:

By mod and by zoning. Seriously, take some time and work with zones.
Get a mod. Trying to use animal zones to keep animals from eating poo poo they shouldn't is a kludgy workaround.

and the notion of not messing around with zones for a thing that they handle very directly and quickly is not unique in this thread's last 48 hours either.

so you can snidely dismiss my reasoning as a 'brick wall of words' and a weird personal attack despite my repeated attempts to give you credit for context if you like but this is not something that came from a dark place in my own skull or some horseshit.

e: also, the 'slippery slope argument' is an outright fact. as i said, the only post more common than "use this mod" in this thread is "man, it sucks that this mod isn't updated/doesn't work with this other mod". dependencies are only one small part of the equation. modding rimworld is kind of a functionality minefield and folks really do not acknowledge that very often, if ever, in this thread, and the most at-risk mods are the ones that touch a lot of basic items and functionality, since everything implicitly depends on that.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 16, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Coolguye posted:

yes.

that is precisely the way this reads.

Then you're reading it wrong

Coolguye posted:

quote:

Get a mod. Trying to use animal zones to keep animals from eating poo poo they shouldn't is a kludgy workaround.

and the notion of not messing around with zones for a thing that they handle very directly and quickly is not unique in this thread's last 48 hours either.

so you can snidely dismiss my reasoning as a 'brick wall of words' and a weird personal attack despite my repeated attempts to give you credit for context if you like but this is not something that came from a dark place in my own skull or some horseshit.

Zone usage and having animals prioritizing drugs and lavish meals are not mutually exclusive. You can use zones and also have animals that can haul to your fridge without turning into cocaine-seeking hellmissiles

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Coolguye posted:

modding rimworld is kind of a functionality minefield and folks really do not acknowledge that very often, if ever, in this thread, and the most at-risk mods are the ones that touch a lot of basic items and functionality, since everything implicitly depends on that.

I wasn't going to engage, but then you go and say this. No, it really isn't. Compatibility is piss-easy, and functionality comes down to "don't touch the same thing twice." There are very few mods (I can think of only one) that use destructive patching techniques in TYOOL 2019, and things like WM Food Selection (one I don't use anymore, but have used in the past) aren't one of them.

Rimworld isn't Skyrim or Fallout. Bethesda Games != Rimworld Modding.

I'm loud about Rimworld modding for a reason. Tynan's use of XML patching and Andrew Pardike's (?) Harmony library have taken the vast majority of the pitfalls out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Danaru posted:

Zone usage and having animals prioritizing drugs and lavish meals are not mutually exclusive. You can use zones and also have animals that can haul to your fridge without turning into cocaine-seeking hellmissiles
you never said anything of the sort and i'm unclear on how i was supposed to glean that from your post. i completely get it that that's probably what you meant, but that's not what was said. you actually snapped off a very pointed statement about 'micromanaging for everything' (which isn't true, setting zones is very macromanagement and are not difficult to set up, just the UI is just poo poo) and tacked on a hyper-specific complaint about one kind of task for one kind of animal that isn't a big deal for most colonies or, indeed, most players ostensibly affected by it. if it pisses you off, sure, fine, cool, i totally get that and it's legit. i'm not putting anyone down for it.

but it is not a problem with zones and it's has nothing to do with classifying 3 short sentences as 'multiple paragraphs' or suggesting a 30 second tool interaction is a 'kludgy workaround' compared to installing a mod that could have any number of outcomes (including the guaranteed ones of longer loading times/etc). it is overselling the shortcomings severely and shortchanging the problems that you can solve using the tool you're deprecating. this helps nobody and is objectively not good advice.

Warmachine posted:

I wasn't going to engage, but then you go and say this. No, it really isn't. Compatibility is piss-easy, and functionality comes down to "don't touch the same thing twice."
quite so. which is why the really cool content expansions like the cults, warhammer poo poo, cthulhu poo poo, etc are so easy and fun and cool. when you start screwing around with base items - exactly like folks are suggesting in this context, actually - that's when problems arise and that's precisely why i'm choosing this particular moment to say something about it.

it isn't skyrim but that doesn't mean it doesn't cause hairpulling. comparing it to a functionality hellscape doesn't make it any less of a functionality minefield. i feel like you only need to read back in the thread to show that, with people struggling with various conflicts because there are multiple mods that are just plain old going to touch the same thing twice.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 16, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Coolguye posted:

you never said anything of the sort and i'm unclear on how i was supposed to glean that from your post.

It was literally the scenario we've been talking about the whole time, the one most people said to use Smarter Food Selection for and the one you said to use zones for. You're the only one that brought up other uses for animal zoning. God drat dude.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I feel like this conversation keeps happening :shrug:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
People who play with the Crash Landing mod, do the events ever trigger without being part of the scenario? I noticed there were a bunch of different event types added by the mod, but the new scenarios only use one of them. I'd love to see more parts fall from time to time rather than just being a one and done situation

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Danaru posted:

People who play with the Crash Landing mod, do the events ever trigger without being part of the scenario? I noticed there were a bunch of different event types added by the mod, but the new scenarios only use one of them. I'd love to see more parts fall from time to time rather than just being a one and done situation

Very rarely and even then its only 1-2 parts in my experince.

It can be a god send though when it drops food or materials. Plus the steel chunks help.

Regarding someones post on hiveminds, the Avali mod basically has that through their pack system which is kinda neat. They are fragile as gently caress though and have not gotten to play around with it since they are a pain to take prisoner without pain weapons and even then they go insane if their pack is killed off and they dont get replacments fast enough.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Danaru posted:

It was literally the scenario we've been talking about the whole time, the one most people said to use Smarter Food Selection for and the one you said to use zones for. You're the only one that brought up other uses for animal zoning. God drat dude.

no, go back and read the last page again, hopefully with fresh eyes. people were talking about combining it and then the conversation swung to denigrating the mechanic and simply modding it - which is bad advice that i take exception to. that is specifically what i reacted to. you specifically came by and denigrated the mechanic AGAIN and denigrated the advice AGAIN, and then went back and changed targets, while insulting me in the process (i really don't understand why you felt that last part was required).

i'm sorry if your intent got lost here. words are hard and they're harder when topics get blurred. but i do not understand why this has to be an emotional thing and i'll absolutely stand up for understanding the game before changing it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
This is such a stupid argument. Yes you can manage animals exclusively via zones if you choose to but if you want hauling animals that is a clumsy solution at best, and the animal food logic mod makes it so much better.

At the same time no mod that I am aware of replaces the need to manage animals via zones for convenience of production, their safety and the safety of the colony.

It is OK to use zones and it is OK to use mods, in fact I highly suggest you do both.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That's what I've been saying this whole time :cripes: zones are great but I'm not going to use them as a workaround when I can just mod out the issue I'm working around.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pharnakes posted:

This is such a stupid argument. Yes you can manage animals exclusively via zones if you choose to but if you want hauling animals that is a clumsy solution at best, and the animal food logic mod makes it so much better.

At the same time no mod that I am aware of replaces the need to manage animals via zones for convenience of production, their safety and the safety of the colony.

It is OK to use zones and it is OK to use mods, in fact I highly suggest you do both.

I use zones, my goodest doggo hauls the harvest to my pantry, my animals cannot eat the ~Lavish Meals~ because I put cooked food in a seperate stockpile with a higher priority. Im usually pretty good about keeping the kibble square in the -snuggle zone-. He eats raw rice every now and again cuz hes a dog.

Checkmate

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

KirbyKhan posted:

I use zones, my goodest doggo hauls the harvest to my pantry, my animals cannot eat the ~Lavish Meals~ because I put cooked food in a seperate stockpile with a higher priority. Im usually pretty good about keeping the kibble square in the -snuggle zone-. He eats raw rice every now and again cuz hes a dog.

Checkmate

I have a similar setup for my vampire, where a certain section of the fridge is off limits to her because she'll keep knocking back the blood bags instead of drinking from the perfectly good jail next door. She's usually building or researching so I never have to worry about her hauling the blood somewhere weird before the dogs or haulbots get them.

I've never actually had to USE the emergency stash, but just in case :v: my base is always full of contingencies for disasters that have never happened

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Lol speaking of mods -- as a new player (hell kind of new to modding and PC games in general but the process with workshop seems intuitive enough) are there any essentials? Unless it's something that meshes really well with the base game I'm more interested in QoL stuff than I am extra content, I haven't even survived a winter yet and if I manage to research batteries before my colony goes to poo poo I'm pretty proud of myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
my opinion hasn't really changed on any of these:

Flesh Forge posted:

There's some super duper good QOL mods though, because the vanilla game has some pants on head retarded poo poo in it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761421485 Allow Tool, about 50 valuable extensions to the UI behavior without actually changing game balance at all, if I had to pick just one mod I was allowed to play with it'd be this one
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539025677 Cut Plants Before Building
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231617602 Just Ignore Me (allows construction of things like doors without stopping when someone steps through the tile)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858744731 Reverse Commands (right click context menu extensions, great for things like rescuing downed pawns)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539028008 Where Is My Weapon? (pawns that drop their weapon will automatically go re-equip it when able - you don't realize just how annoying this is to do without until you try it)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541439712 Small Shelf (a 1x1 shelf, why isn't this in vanilla :shrug:)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761219125 Defensive Positions, set fixed positions to send defenders to with one keypress, also includes squad membership
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1180718516 Save Storage, Outfit, Crafting, & Drug Settings - because setting up the same standard job bills every time for things like stoves and smelters is not actually gameplay!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=935982361 Better Workbench Management, allows copying and linking bills between workbenches (e.g. you have 5 tailors, change a bill on one of them and all 5 receive the change)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=945085502 No Default Shelf Storage, so you don't waste haul labor moving inappropriate poo poo onto a new shelf
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=715565817 Medical Tab, lol if you don't have this
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1516158345 Interaction Bubbles, see what they're talking about
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372003680 Replace Stuff, get rid of vast amounts of busywork when improving constructions
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1414302321 Numbers, a great reporting/finding stuff UI tool
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1542393171 Terrain Zone Selections, will create "flood fill" zone based on terrain type under the mouse
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1117406550 My Little Planet, so you can have a smaller globe with 100% coverage and not take ages to load
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1508850027 RimHUD, see interesting poo poo with less clicks
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1419593453 No Forced Slowdown! So watching that refugee make the run to your gate isn't brutally agonizingly dull!

and none of these really alter vanilla game balance, they just get rid of bullshit or show you more poo poo you could see with more clicks